HAL'S Kory Simon & Celebrity's Perry Grant

grandsix

We have had the privilege of getting to know piano playing entertainers Kory Simon (now on the Noordam) and Perry Grant (a main stay) on Celebrity's Constellation. Both are quite talented and outspoken. Both have a strong following. We find Perry to be quite flambouyant. Has anyone else seen both entertainers?

I first met Perry in '94 when he was new to HAL, and much, much less flamboyant. I loved him then, and think that might have been the best of my cruises with him (out of four---all long).

It's funny you brought this up. Last week I couldn't help but think that Kory is a young Perry. Told him that, too.

His is a different era of music, to be sure. And his repetoire isn't as extensive yet, but he's also quite a bit younger than Perry was when I first met him.

Perry had his little coterie, to be sure. I used to stand near the doorway of the lounge at chuckle at his little bobby soxers leaning over, their endowments practically spilling out onto the bar, all goo-goo'ing and having the best spots saved for them because they're Perry's oh-so-special friends and the rest of us are trash.

Sheesh. I've seen more mature adolescents.

That's not everyone, of course. But there was always that small group and I don't think they realized Perry's job was to sell alcohol. He was a bit flamboyant toward them (like Liberace in the old days, before he really blossomed out) and they lapped it up ... same as they lapped up the drinks.

• 9 months later...
Bebsf, you would love him. He is a little Elton and a lot Liberace in the way he dresses. He idolizes Judy. Yes he has a strong following, but so does Kory.

I agree, Perry is a blend of both, and potentially trending more towards Liberace as he matures. ( My guess is he is late 30-early 40 with a boy's high school body) We have sailed with him on HAL and X and it's Judy Time, all the time.

If I ever have the opportunity to cruise with any of you, remind me to tell you the story of how I once was in Liberace's bed and that's not even the best part of the story. :)

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to get ahold of Kory Simon. He's a friend of my from college and we've lost touch, but I'd love to get in contact with him again.

Thanks!

I believe Kory is coming back to the Noordam replacing Gordon who was suppose to get a part in Hairspray. Mabybe Ruth C. can confirm this.

I'm amazed someone found this old thread after a year! And on the first post, too. Wow.

According to Randall Powell---currently on the Noordam---Kory will be replacing him when he leaves this weekend.

As of when I disembarked a week ago Randall was still waiting for word on the Hairspray gig. He did have some other work lined up in the NYC area and planned to be there for a while.

Other than contacting HAL and asking that they forward a message to Kory on the Noordam I don't know how to reach him.

We first enjoyed Perry on the RSSC Voyager then again on the Constelation. He is by far our favorite cruise ship entertainer. He made fun of the how old the people on the Voyager were, it was the end of the world cruise and he really seemed to enjoy the slightly younger Connie crowd. Get to his show early, or be one of his favorite girls, if you want to be sure of a seat.

We first enjoyed Perry on the RSSC Voyager then again on the Constelation. He is by far our favorite cruise ship entertainer. He made fun of how old the people on the Voyager were, it was the end of the world cruise and he really seemed to enjoy the slightly younger Connie crowd. Get to his show early, or be one of his favorite girls, if you want to be sure of a seat.

Are we talking 'Elton John' flamboyant, or 'Liberace' flamboyant?

:confused: ;)

We met Perry Grant years ago on the Ryndam when she was only 6 months old and then we kept running into him on various Hal ships. We're traveling on the Constelation next fall, and I'm hopping to catch up with him there, it will be good to see him.

My husband does not care for him, I think a little to flamboyancy for him. I believe he is more Liberace flamboyant then Elton John. I don't think I've met Simon, so can't make any comment about him, hopefully I will, he sounds like he would be good. Over the years traveling on Holland, they certainly seem to have been lacking quality in their piano bar player. We did meet someone who we really like in early 2000 on the Ryndam and have cruised with him on many occasions. He is not a Perry Grant, totally different kinds of styles, but very entertaining, very personable like Perry, good piano player/singer. He has over 400 tunes committed to memory, no sheets of music for him. If your ever on a cruise he is playing on, worth making a trip down to the piano bar, to check him out, his name is JP Nadeau!

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to get ahold of Kory Simon. He's a friend of my from college and we've lost touch, but I'd love to get in contact with him again.

Thanks!

You could try emailing the hotel manager once he's aboard and ask him to forward your email address and a brief message to Kory.

Archived