Transderm V-The Patch

jerwick

The instructions on the package say "use behind one ear for thee days, then if needed another behind the other ear for three days,then discontinue use".

For those that have used it, on longer voyages such as transatlantic etc. what do you use after the six days if you require additional remedies?

Try an over the counter such as Bonine. Bonine worked better for me anyway. The patch did not work for me, you have to be carefull in water and it gave me a metalic taste while wearing.

I found taking the Bonine at night helped with the droseyness & reduced the dosage as days went by.

Good luck!

The instructions on the package say "use behind one ear for thee days, then if needed another behind the other ear for three days,then discontinue use".

For those that have used it, on longer voyages such as transatlantic etc. what do you use after the six days if you require additional remedies?

I took mine off after 3 days and had no sea sick issues on the remainder of our cruise. I would mention that I took it off because the patch (for me) had a lot of side effects. I had a particulalrly dry mouth, and blurred vision--was a rather odd sensation. It worked, but for me, wasn't worth dealing with the side effects.

I took mine off after 3 days and had no sea sick issues on the remainder of our cruise. I would mention that I took it off because the patch (for me) had a lot of side effects. I had a particulalrly dry mouth, and blurred vision--was a rather odd sensation. It worked, but for me, wasn't worth dealing with the side effects.

Classic side effects.

The prime question here is: do you have or always get seasickness? I recommend a step approach if it's not an absolute problem right off (right on?) the boat. Ginger tablets for a starter and milder problems, then step up to Bonine/Dramamine. Then work your way up to scopolamine. The side effects profiles increase with this approach.:cool:

I recently used 5 on a 14 day cruise to Hawaii. I've never read anything about only using 2 and then stopping. I've used them twice for all days on a 10 day cruise. I've never had any problem at all with them and even drink occasionally. I just tell me doctor how long the cruise is and he gives them to me.

I recently used 5 on a 14 day cruise to Hawaii. I've never read anything about only using 2 and then stopping. I've used them twice for all days on a 10 day cruise. I've never had any problem at all with them and even drink occasionally. I just tell me doctor how long the cruise is and he gives them to me.

The packaging is definately not US, where a prescription is required. It is available OTC in other countries, and it would have those types of instructions on it. And drinking alcohol with it carries some risks. I have heard about some vocal disinhibitions while drinking and wearing, some things have been said that should have been left unsaid. Careful..... :cool:

I do not use the patch. I have heard too many reports about side effects. My doctor told me he refuses to prescribe it to any of his patients, and thinks it will be taken off the market before too long.

Understand, I get seasick standing on a dock, so I have tried everything- Bonine, Dramamine, SeaBands, ginger tablets, name it. I found the best solution on my cruise to Scandinavia about 7 years ago. I awoke on the second day, sick as a dog. I went to the ship's infirmary and was given a drug called Promethazine. It is absolutely the best thing I have ever used!!!! The original 'script said to take 1/2 pill twice a day, but that tended to make me a little groggy, so I took it only once a day for the rest of that trip. I got a prescription from my doctor for this trip and found that 1/4 tab once a day was plenty. I took it at bedtime, as that is when I have the worst problem. I mean, never a quiver of nausea. It is great! Your dr. may find it listed under the brand name Avomine.

drug called Promethazine.

under the brand name Avomine.

In the US, it is known as Phenergan. Can cause significant drowsiness in some individuals, and because it is a phenothiazine derivative, may cause EPS (extrapyramidal symtoms). Requires a prescription.:cool:

I use these all the time at work (with kids with cancer), the deal is one patch every three days (alternating sites) and over age 12. Also wash hands well as I have seen multiple reactions when touching eyes etc with medication on hands. Hope this gives you the info you need. The patch is really great and with less side effects than other meds.

I used to get a prescription for the Transderm Scop patch, but it made my vision blurry. I found out about Bonine on these boards and that helps me with all my motion sickness.

In the US, it is known as Phenergan. Can cause significant drowsiness in some individuals, and because it is a phenothiazine derivative, may cause EPS (extrapyramidal symtoms). Requires a prescription.:cool:

OK- I'll bite- what, exactly are "extrapyramidial symptoms"?( Just so I'll know if I start to bark or something :) )

As a pharmacist and as the wife of one that HAS to wear scop patches, I think they're great.

We use them in the pre-op area in surgery quite frequently on those patients that are prone to nausea and on patients that are having surgeries that may cause nausea post-op (i.e eye surgery, "female" surgery, to name a couple) and they work quite well.

My husband has worn these patches on cruises, deep sea fishing, whale watching on small boats, and they work well for him. We would not try any of the oral medications because of the ease of using the patch and the fact that you are going to have to re-dose with the oral meds because they will only last six to eight hours then they start wearing off.

You use these patches every 3 day days then replace with a new one. If you experience dizziness, see halos around the eyes, allergic reactions such as swelling, etc...... you should remove it.

Normal side effect is a dry mouth but that can be treated with mints or gum.

As far as the alcohol, since scopolamine is in the antihistamine class, it can further increase drowsiness with alcohol consumption, but that problem has never occurred with my husband:D

...consult your physician or local pharmacist before wearing these to make sure you are not one of those with certain medical conditions that it would be contraindicated in.......

OK- I'll bite- what, exactly are "extrapyramidial symptoms"?( Just so I'll know if I start to bark or something :) )

e.g. involuntary movements, tremors and rigidity, body restlessness, muscle contractions and changes in breathing and heart rate.

Involuntary movements (tardive dyskinesia)

One of the most common EPS side effects is involuntary movements most often affecting the mouth, lips and tongue. For example, the patient may have facial tics, roll the tongue and lick the lips. Sometimes also the trunk or other parts of the body are also affected.

Not common at the lower doses and when used for short periods of time.:cool:

e.g. involuntary movements, tremors and rigidity, body restlessness, muscle contractions and changes in breathing and heart rate.

Involuntary movements (tardive dyskinesia)

One of the most common EPS side effects is involuntary movements most often affecting the mouth, lips and tongue. For example, the patient may have facial tics, roll the tongue and lick the lips. Sometimes also the trunk or other parts of the body are also affected.

Not common at the lower doses and when used for short periods of time.:cool:

Uh-huh...So, if I start doing iguana imitations, , I'd better quit taking it, huh? :)

As soon as I post I'm going to look for my prescription--I don't remember anything about only 2 patches--The prescriptions I have received have 4 patches to the box--I have used the patches for as long as 16 days--going on a longer cruise I would plan to use them for the length of the cruise--I do have a side effect--dry mouth--but, it sure beats sea sickness.

I can sometimes see it in the dilation of my pupils--but, I understand that is what this drug is used for.

Nancy:)

Hi Jerwyk,

I have used the patches for a fifteen day cruise, and just replaced the patch every three days, alternating sides of the head. Be sure to remove the previous patch. When my doctor prescribes the patch, I tell him how long our cruise is, and he prescribes enough for the duration of the cruise. There are four in a box. If I am on a ten day cruise, I just leave the last one on until the day after I get home, so I don't have that weird feeling of still being on the sea when on land.

I know some people have troubles with side effects with the patch, but I never have had any problems. Many people on cruises are wearing them. If you look, you can see the patches behind the ear. If you are concerned about the side effects, you could ask your doctor for an extra patch, and try it out while you are still home, when you can call your physician if you do have problems. DO make sure to touch the patch as little as possible, and wash your hands after applying.

Have a great cruise!

I've used the patch on my last two cruises because I could just about get seasick looking at a glass of water. I've gone beyond the 6 days you mention both times.

The only side effects I experience is the blurry vision which is only a problem up close. Distance eyesight is fine. Drinking with it on has never been a problem for me either. If I could find something else that works as well with no side effects, I'd certainly try it. Does look a little goofy with a patch behind your ear and I'd like to be able to read menus without reading glasses.

Archived