Pier - Is it true?

duskview

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm trying to figure out if I should cancel my excursion that I already booked or not. We are scheduled to be in Cozumel from 7am-6pm. My excursion is 10am-4:30pm. Would I have enough time to make it back on the boat if I do the excursion and how long does tendering take? I booked it back in January when the itinerary was 7am-midnight :( I was very mad when it was changed in March. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Amy

Hi! I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm trying to figure out if I should cancel my excursion that I already booked or not. We are scheduled to be in Cozumel from 7am-6pm. My excursion is 10am-4:30pm. Would I have enough time to make it back on the boat if I do the excursion and how long does tendering take? I booked it back in January when the itinerary was 7am-midnight :( I was very mad when it was changed in March. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Amy

If you booked your excursion through your cruise line no worries! If you didn't email the company and check with them. Even with the private companies, running these tours is their way of life, so they are going to be accomodating to the ships demands.

I emailed the company and they did say they would make sure we were back in time and leave early if necessary. They also agreed, if we miss the boat, to pay all our expenses including hotel and plane to get to the next island. I have it in an email, so that should be enough, right?

Thanks!

Amy

I was just in Coz last week. The Celebrity ship was docked at what looked like a temporary pier. The rest of the ships were tendered. We were on Carnival and had to tender. We got off the boat at about 10 am and there was maybe a 20 minute wait. Coming back in the afternoon was not a problem. There were two tenders waiting for people to fill them up.

Amy

Another thing to consider is ship/port time. Cozumel is 1 hour behind ship time, so if you booked an excursion thru an independant company the tour time would be 11-5:30 shore time. I would re-schedule your excursion.

The International peir is open. Either RCI or X ships will dock there ( only one- usually the largest in port that day) all other ships will tender. If taking an excursion other than a ship excursion, I'd give yourself an hour to get off the ship, getting back is no problem

There's a pic of what's left of the Puerto Maya pier in my Miracle pics

We were just in Cozumel on Grandeur on 4/20. We were docked at the International Pier and Navigator was tendered nearby. I thought Navigator would dock since there are so many more people on board to work with. The Grandeur staff told me that Navigator was too big for the pier in it's current shortened condition so Grandeur got the pier.

Cheryl

We will be at Cozumel on July 4th sailing out of Miami on July 2nd. We are scheduled there from 7 to 4 P.M. We have very bad luck and twice we lost tender ports because of rough seas. We ended up with a boring extra day at sea. The Freedom is only ship scheduled that day. Has anyone lost Cozumel because of rough seas and was unable to tender? It doesn't sound like we will be able to dock, does anyone know if the International Pier will be extended by then.

Tendering is one PITA! It adds at least one hour to your travel plans in all ports. For the Navigator last week that was 3 out of 4 ports. Ok, Labadee, wasn't that bad because it's there island and they could get closer to land, but the other ports it takes a long time.

we were there last week, the docks are in shambles - I understand that one ship my be able to dock - but not ours (carnival Miracle)

Not only are the docks in shambles, but I did not see any signs that there was construction going on. I was very surprised to see how badly the island still is...... There is still a lot of rubble piled up, and there is some work being done around the area - but they have a long way to go. All the trees are dead! Very sad

We did however go Scuba Diving and I was surprised at how nice the reef was (50 feet) and the amount of sea life we saw.

bottom line... this poor island got trashed.... its going to take a long time for it to come back... But they need our money, so go and have fun anyway.

We were in Cozumel last Monday (5/1) on Coral Princess. Had to use tender. The Grandeur of the Seas and Carnival Triumph were also there. Grandeur was docked and Triumph also had to use tender. To make matters worse the tenders had trouble getting close to the ship because of large swells.

You may like to know that Cozumel's piers should be able to dock 4 cruise ships per day from October - there's a story on this Cozumel news and information site.

The Port Authority also told me that the new concrete 'slabs' for the piers are being pre-fabricated and then will be put in place - that is why you may not see any heavy construction work yet...

Ian

Archived