Recipes from the Carnival Kitchens

PineappleGal

What a shame that they don't have the cucumber or the zucchini chilled soups! The chilled soups were my absolute favorite the whole trip. By any chance is the recipe for the Asparagus Vichysoisse in there? If anybody has a good copycat of the three of these please let me know!

• 4 weeks later...

I love good food but don't consider myself a good cook. So excuse this question if the answer is obvious, but I just don't know how to do this. The strawberry bisque said to "hull the strawberries". How in the world does one do this to a strawberry. There is no hull, is there?

I love good food but don't consider myself a good cook. So excuse this question if the answer is obvious, but I just don't know how to do this. The strawberry bisque said to "hull the strawberries". How in the world does one do this to a strawberry. There is no hull, is there?

I believe they are considering the green stem at the top of the strawberry as the hull... :D

Hulling is when you take out the stem from the strawberry. There are utensils you can buy that take the stem off the top. Any other questions, let me know.

I never knew this was how to hull a strawberry, thanks. Now for a cooking question I have always been to embarrassed to ask...when a recipe says to mince garlic, does that mean to chop it into incredibly small pieces or just smoosh it up with like a mallet or something.

• 3 weeks later...
I have an older recipe book from Carnival. I've got the newer one too. In the older book the Strawberry Bisque recipe does not include red wine. I believe it uses whipping cream too.

If you haven't found the recipe for one of your favorites, write a letter to Carnival for the recipe.

I bought the book sold in 2001. It did not include the recipe for the chilled orange soup (tasted like melted orange sherbet) I enjoyed at lunch one day. I wrote a letter to Carnival to request the recipe. They sent it but in their conversion to a smaller batch size, they miscalculated a couple of the ingredients. I checked with them again and finally got the right recipe. I now know why it tasted like melted orange sherbet - it had orange sherbet. The recipe is Chilled Orange Sory.

If you are interested, I'll post it. (The recipe is at home. I'm checking the boards during lunch at work.)

I would LOVE this recipe if you have it!

Was the recipe for Chilled Orange Sory ever posted? I couldn't find it if it was. We just got back - this was my favorite chilled soup! Mmm. There was also a great chocolate cake at the lunch buffet one day...I think it was Concord Chocolate Cake. Does anyone have this recipe?

Thanks!

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche pudding

Portions :700

Ingredients Quantity

Egg yolk 15 lb

Sugar 10 lb

Brioche bread 36 no. ( 9 four inch pans)

Heavy cream 14 ea

White chocolate 40 lbs

Butter 15 lbs

Meringue :

Egg whites 12 lb

Sugar 8 lb

For Vanilla sauce :

Milk 6 ltr

Sugar 1 kg

Corn flour 300 gms

Egg yolks 40 ea

Vanilla extract few drops

For greasing :

Butter solids 4 lbs

Sugar 6 lb

Ganache 8 lb

METHOD :

• For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar, cream yolks & cornflour & whisk in the milk,add vanilla extract & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain
  • Remove the sides of the brioche bread, cut into dices & soak in cream.
  • Melt the chocolate with butter & keep aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted chocolate on slow speed.
  • Add the bread & cream, mix well.
  • In a separate bowl, prepare meringue & fold into the bread mixture.
  • Grease the soufflé cup, put one spoon of ganache on the base, portion out the pudding mixture, keep aside.
  • Bake in the evening at 180 f for 45 mins. Remove, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

Here's the Recipe...Enjoy & Thanks go out to Cruisin2Sun!!

I have an older recipe book from Carnival. I've got the newer one too. In the older book the Strawberry Bisque recipe does not include red wine. I believe it uses whipping cream too.

If you haven't found the recipe for one of your favorites, write a letter to Carnival for the recipe.

I bought the book sold in 2001. It did not include the recipe for the chilled orange soup (tasted like melted orange sherbet) I enjoyed at lunch one day. I wrote a letter to Carnival to request the recipe. They sent it but in their conversion to a smaller batch size, they miscalculated a couple of the ingredients. I checked with them again and finally got the right recipe. I now know why it tasted like melted orange sherbet - it had orange sherbet. The recipe is Chilled Orange Sory.

If you are interested, I'll post it. (The recipe is at home. I'm checking the boards during lunch at work.)

Just wondering if you could post the recipe for me. I think you might have but could you do it again. Hope your still out there to post.

• 2 weeks later...

Here you go.

Strawberry Bisque

3 c strawberries, washed and hulled

1 ½ c water

¾ c sugar

3 T lemon juice

1 t grated lemon peel

1 ½ c red wine

1 c. sour cream

fresh mint leaves

Directions:

Combine strawberries, ½ c water, and sugar in a blender. Cover and blend the mixture until pureed. Stir in lemon juice, peel, 1 c. water and wine. Stir in sour cream until blended. Chill for several hours before serving and garnish with mint.

Pineapplegirl,

Would you have the mango cream soup? I love Carnivals soups / bisques. In fact, there have been one or two nights have have ordered more than one soup / bisqe, and I usually don't like soups!

Thanks, thanks, and more thanks!

Here's the Recipe...Enjoy & Thanks go out to Cruisin2Sun!!

Thanks for re-posting this....I know a culinary chef who cut this down from 700 servings to 8 !! Here is the reduced version....

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche Pudding

serves 8

Ingredients / Quantity

For Vanilla Sauce:

Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid

Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)

Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.

Egg yolks / 2 quantity

Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.

For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:

PUDDING:

Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces

Egg yolk / 3 ounces

Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)

Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid

White chocolate / 8 ounces

Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)

MERINGUE:

Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)

Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)

For Ganache:

Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces

Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid

For greasing :

Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat

Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat

METHOD :

• For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar in small saucepan. In small bowl, cream yolks & cornstarch; whisk in the milk, add vanilla extract. Pour back into saucepan & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain lumps. (may add a few drops of milk if too thick).
  • For Ganache: In saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer. Put dark chocolate into bowl and pour simmering cream over chocolate. Stir gently until smooth. Cool slightly.
  • For Pudding: Remove the crusts of the brioche bread, dice into squares. Put in large bowl and pour cream over bread; let soak in.
  • In saucepan, melt the white chocolate with 6 Tbsp. butter & set aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted white chocolate/butter mixture on slow speed.
  • Add the cream-soaked bread, mix well.
  • In a separate bowl, prepare meringue by whipping room temperature egg whites and sugar til thickened; fold into the bread mixture.
  • Grease individual soufflé cups with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Spoon a layer of ganache into the bottom of each cup. Top with bread pudding mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins. Remove, cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

NOTES; Brioche is a spongy textured, sweeter, egg bread. Whole Foods had it ($5.99 per loaf - NOT!!) Trader Joe's has brioche rolls (not a loaf) for $2.99 - I used 4 of the 6 rolls and had 2 left for sandwiches. You could substitute a combination of Kings Hawaiian sweet bread and yellow dinner rolls if you can't find brioche - my chef contact said don't do it - it wouldn't be the same.

Culinary bakers use scales for everything - hence the "3 ounces egg yolk, 2 ounces egg white, 8 ounces bread." I have a kitchen scale and weighed the eggs yolks and whites.

Thank you so much for posting these. Several of my favorites are here. By any chance, is there a recipe for the Blood Orange Cake? It sounds gastly, but my waiter said it was great and he was sooooo right!

Thanks again