Recipes from the Carnival Kitchens

PineappleGal

First of all PineappleGal, thanks for doing this for everyone here.:D

I have a slightly different question...

I'm trying to compile a vegetarian option menu for Cruise Critic(because the question has come up quite a few times here recently).

I have figured out most of the info, except for a few items.

So, here's the items, and I don't need the recipes, just if they have meat (which means beef, fowl, seafood of some kind) or especially the soups (if they have beef, chicken, or fish broth) as they can always be tricky for a vegetarian.

Crema Di Funghi Selvatica

Gazpacho Andalouse

Black Bean Soup

Chilled Cucumber Soup

Cream of Sun-Ripened Tomatoes with a Touch of Gin

Chilled Cream of Lyches

Corn Chowder Maryland

Asparagus Vichyssoise

Cream of Garden-Fresh Broccoli and Wisconsin Cheddar

Chilled Zucchini Soup

American Navy Bean Soup

Mango Cream

Ragout of Wild Mushrooms

Southwestern-Style Egg Roll

Penne Tossed in a Tomato-Cream Sauce with Vodka and Caviar

Penne Siciliana

Fettuccine Tossed in a Mushroom Cream

Thanks in advance for all of the vegetarian Cruise Critic members and/or family and friends.

Curt Jerome Wild:)

Would LOVE a copy of what you come up with...I'm vegetarian and am realizing how difficult it is going to be on this cruise.

Thanks!

Laura

Would LOVE a copy of what you come up with...I'm vegetarian and am realizing how difficult it is going to be on this cruise.

Thanks!

Laura

I would ALSO like a copy. I am not vegetarian, but my sister is, and, I tend to enjoy a lot of the vegetarian dishes as well. On my latest trip, I ended up ordering two of the vegetarian meals for my meal instead of the other options. LOL!

Thank you!

Diana

I also forgot that I wanted to include my thanks to PineappleGal for taking the time to post these recipes. I had the strawberry bisque on my cruise and LOVED it! Now I have the recipe. :D I wish I took pictures of the menu for each night because I KNOW there were other dishes I loved that I would like the recipe for, but I can't remember what they were. :(

There was a dessert in the Paris restaurant that I *think* the waiters called Cappuccino Nepoleon....or something like that.....anybody know what I'm talking about? It was to DIE for! It was similar to a tiramsu. Would love to have that recipe.

Thanks again all!

Diana

I would ALSO like a copy. I am not vegetarian, but my sister is, and, I tend to enjoy a lot of the vegetarian dishes as well. On my latest trip, I ended up ordering two of the vegetarian meals for my meal instead of the other options. LOL!

Thank you!

Diana

Crema Di Funghi Selvatica - Unsure

Gazpacho Andalouse- Yes

Black Bean Soup; I believe there is Chicken Stock in there *

Chilled Cucumber Soup ; I believe there is Chicken Stock in there*

Cream of Sun-Ripened Tomatoes with a Touch of Gin: No

Chilled Cream of Lyches - Yes

Corn Chowder Maryland -NO; Chicken stock in it*

Asparagus Vichyssoise- NO; Chicken Stock in it*

Cream of Garden-Fresh Broccoli and Wisconsin Cheddar; No; Chicken stock*

Chilled Zucchini Soup - I believe there is Chicken Stock*

American Navy Bean Soup- No; Chicken stock in it. (made it in school)

Mango Cream- Yes; Dessert soups don't have stock in them

Ragout of Wild Mushrooms- Yes

Southwestern-Style Egg Roll- Yes; I believe Vegetables are in the whole thing

Penne Tossed in a Tomato-Cream Sauce with Vodka and Caviar - isn't Caviar something you can't use.

Penne Siciliana- Yes

Fettuccine Tossed in a Mushroom Cream- Yes you can use

* Don't you just hate it that they make soups that sound Veg. but have chicken stock or meat products in there.* I hope this helps; let me know on any other recipes. *

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We just returned from a cruise on the Inspiration to Grand Cayman and Calica. Does anyone have any of the following recipes? Asparagus oyster soup, Grand Marnier souffle with vanilla cream sauce, the grouper with risotto, and any of the diet desserts you might share. My husband is diabetic and he enjoyed the diet desserts.

Cotton: I need your help. (hey she is a chef!!!)

To anyone looking for a good "bean soup".....there used to be a place north of Shreveport, La. called Louisiana Hayride Kitchen and their signature soup was called Senate Bean Soup. I finally got the recipe but I have not made it yet because the directions don't make sense to me. Here is the recipe:

1lb Great Northern Beans

5 cups water

1/2 lb chopped onion

1/2 lb ham or bacon

1/2 tsp. garlic salt

Garlic Powder to taste

5 Tbsp. vegetable oil

2 Tbsp. chopped parsley

2/3 cup chopped celery

Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Rinse and sort beans, cover with water. Begin to cook. Saute onion, meat, garlic salt and garlic powder in oil until tender, but do not brown. Add the vegetables to the beans. Bring to a boil, put lid on pot and lower heat. Cook for 4 hours or until beans are done. Add the parsley and cook for 15 or 20 minutes. Remove half the beans and mash. Add back into pot to thicken soup.

I am no cook and I need all the directions spelled out to the "T" for me.

When do I add the meat and seasons combo that I just tenderized???? It says add the vegetables to the beans....does just mean the celery & onion OR did they mean add the sauted meat combo and celery & onion at this time.

Thanks for the help....and if anyone gives this recipe a try ... let me know how you like it!! It was a HUGE hit in Louisiana for years!!

• 3 weeks later...
Cotton: I need your help. (hey she is a chef!!!)

Hey LHP - The original "Senate Bean Soup" was brought to Washington by Louisiana Senator Allen Ellender - many, many moons ago. It was a big hit, obviously, and was named the official senate soup...served every Thursday.

The recipe you have sounds similar to what I use. What they meant was to saute all the veggies with the ham/bacon, (I sometimes add cajun sausage)... whatever you're using. When the veggies are soft, just dump all in the skillet into the beans.

What I do with beans though is let them swell overnight, then pour out that water, rinse well, and bring the beans to a boil. When they're about half cooked, then add the veggies and meat.

To serve, I always put a tablespoon of cooked rice in the bowl before adding the soup. .

• 1 month later...

My sister is coming to my house for Christmas and I would like to surprise her by making meringues like they serve on the Carnival ships. Everytime we cruise she can't stop eating them. Do they happen to be in any of the recipe books??? If not, does anyone have a recipe that comes close?

Thanks for your help!:D

My sister is coming to my house for Christmas and I would like to surprise her by making meringues like they serve on the Carnival ships. Everytime we cruise she can't stop eating them. Do they happen to be in any of the recipe books??? If not, does anyone have a recipe that comes close?

Thanks for your help!:D

Do you mean Baked Alaska? It's cake, topped with ice cream, and frosted with merengue.. You can use store-bought pound cake too. If you didn't, sorry for re-posting this.

Baked Alaska

Prep Time:20 MinutesCook Time:40 MinutesReady In:11 Hours Servings:16

INGREDIENTS:

• 2 quarts vanilla ice cream, softened
  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 8 egg whites
  • 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup white sugar

DIRECTIONS:

1. Line the bottom and sides of an 8-inch round mixing bowl or deep 8-inch square container with foil. Spread ice cream in container, packing firmly. Cover and freeze 8 hours or until firm.
  2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8x8 inch pan.
  3. Prepare cake mix with egg and almond extract. Pour into prepared pan.
  4. Bake in preheated oven according to package instructions, until center of cake springs back when lightly touched.
  5. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar, salt and sugar until stiff peaks form.
  6. Line a baking sheet with parchment or heavy brown paper. Place cake in center. Turn molded ice cream out onto cake. Quickly and prettily spread meringue over cake and ice cream, all the way to paper to seal. Return to freezer 2 hours.
  7. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
  8. Bake the Alaska on the lowest shelf, 8 to 10 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve at once.

That is so funny Cruisin2Sun! :D

Me? Baked Alaska???:eek: I would probably set the house on fire!!!! I remember on my first cruise when they brought out Baked Alaska for everyone and it was flaming (carried on their heads if I remember correctly).

But thanks anyway for your help! I love their Baked Alaska. Meringues are little cookie things that I think you make with sugar and egg whites and bake. Similar to the meringue on the Baked Alaska, but they are cookie sized and sort of crunchy! If I remember correctly, she said they have a lemon meringue and that's the one she pigs out on. I tasted one and it was too sweet for me! The usually serve them on the dessert buffet at lunch 2 or 3 times each cruise.

Hmmm...perhaps it's time for another cruise!

Judith - No, they are sold only on the ships. I bought the set of three a coupla cruises ago.

You might try EBay. I understand they have a lot of cruise stuff on there...?

Hello Cotton

How much do you think the set of 3 goes for???? I would have to purchase it on the sneak cause DH says I have way to many cook books but I use them not all the time but I do use them.... Just wondering if you knew about how much they cost.... Thanks

This is great! I am not sure of the name but I was on the Inspiration Oct of '06 and there was a great entree........it was Talpia fish with navybeans and spinach..............my goodness it was awesome, anything like that in the cookbook??????

appreciate all your help! thanks!:)

That is so funny Cruisin2Sun! :D

Me? Baked Alaska???:eek: I would probably set the house on fire!!!! I remember on my first cruise when they brought out Baked Alaska for everyone and it was flaming (carried on their heads if I remember correctly).

LOL - you know these cruise lines have to do everything the fancy way! My 15 yr. old DD made Baked Alaska and browned it in the oven. No way I would have let her flame it for the reasons you mentioned above!

I missed the cookie meringues....have never seen them on Carnival.

Reason to book a cruise - to look for the meringue cookies!

West Indian Pumpkin Soup

Serves 100 (so you might have to convert it to less)

3 lbs Onions, quartered

2 lbs Leeks

2 oz Garlic Cloves

7 lbs Pumpkin Puree

3 1/2 gallons Chicken Stock

2 Quarts Half-and-Half

1 Quart Heavy Cream

Salt & Pepper to Taste

Heat oven to 300*f. Place onions, leeks, and garlic in shallow roasting pan; drizzle with olive oiil. Bake at 300*f for 30 minutes. Puree Vegetables.

Roast pumpkin puree @ 300*f. for 20-25 minutes. In Large stockpot, combine pumpkin puree, pureed vegetables and chicken stock; bring to a boil. Simmer 1 Hour.

Add half-and-half and cream; simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt and Pepper.

GOOD LUCK!!

Thank you very much...This is the "BEST" hot soup at sea bar none...

I tried the Strawberry Bisque recipe on Christmas Eve for my sisters birthday and she loved it! She said it tasted just like she remembered and is requesting that I make it for New Years Eve too. :D It was her favorite menu item on the past cruise we took together. However, I do have a question, the recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of red wine, which I used but is there anything else I can use in it's place so all the kids can enjoy it too? Since it's never cooked the alcohol in the wine doesn't go away. :confused:

I tried the Strawberry Bisque recipe on Christmas Eve for my sisters birthday and she loved it! She said it tasted just like she remembered and is requesting that I make it for New Years Eve too. :D It was her favorite menu item on the past cruise we took together. However, I do have a question, the recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups of red wine, which I used but is there anything else I can use in it's place so all the kids can enjoy it too? Since it's never cooked the alcohol in the wine doesn't go away. :confused:

If it makes a difference next time don't use the wine. I remember in other posts in the thread that someone said not to use the wine. Maybe you can use a table wine something less then 7%. (This means no alcohol is in the wine, and it is still "Red Wine" but without the alcohol.) Let me know how it goes. I also love the Strawberry Bisque as well as the Orange Soup. But my all time favorite soup is the Lychee Nut Soup. I wish I have ordered more of it. I know next time to get two or three maybe. Well enjoy your holidays.

Pineapplegal:D

Hey LHP - The original "Senate Bean Soup" was brought to Washington by Louisiana Senator Allen Ellender - many, many moons ago. It was a big hit, obviously, and was named the official senate soup...served every Thursday.

The recipe you have sounds similar to what I use. What they meant was to saute all the veggies with the ham/bacon, (I sometimes add cajun sausage)... whatever you're using. When the veggies are soft, just dump all in the skillet into the beans.

What I do with beans though is let them swell overnight, then pour out that water, rinse well, and bring the beans to a boil. When they're about half cooked, then add the veggies and meat.

To serve, I always put a tablespoon of cooked rice in the bowl before adding the soup. .

Sorry it took so long to thank you for your assistance. I lost this thread. I called myself looking and looking for it....and just found it!! (It took another cruise to get my bearings!!)

Thanks again!!