Recipes from the Carnival Kitchens

PineappleGal

• 4 months later...
Thanks for re-posting this....I know a culinary chef who cut this down from 700 servings to 8 !! Here is the reduced version....

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche Pudding

serves 8

Ingredients / Quantity

For Vanilla Sauce:

Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid

Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)

Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.

Egg yolks / 2 quantity

Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.

For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:

PUDDING:

Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces

Egg yolk / 3 ounces

Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)

Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid

White chocolate / 8 ounces

Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)

MERINGUE:

Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)

Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)

For Ganache:

Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces

Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid

For greasing :

Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat

Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat

METHOD :

• For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar in small saucepan. In small bowl, cream yolks & cornstarch; whisk in the milk, add vanilla extract. Pour back into saucepan & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain lumps. (may add a few drops of milk if too thick).
  • For Ganache: In saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer. Put dark chocolate into bowl and pour simmering cream over chocolate. Stir gently until smooth. Cool slightly.
  • For Pudding: Remove the crusts of the brioche bread, dice into squares. Put in large bowl and pour cream over bread; let soak in.
  • In saucepan, melt the white chocolate with 6 Tbsp. butter & set aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted white chocolate/butter mixture on slow speed.
  • Add the cream-soaked bread, mix well.
  • In a separate bowl, prepare meringue by whipping room temperature egg whites and sugar til thickened; fold into the bread mixture.
  • Grease individual soufflé cups with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Spoon a layer of ganache into the bottom of each cup. Top with bread pudding mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins. Remove, cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

NOTES; Brioche is a spongy textured, sweeter, egg bread. Whole Foods had it ($5.99 per loaf - NOT!!) Trader Joe's has brioche rolls (not a loaf) for $2.99 - I used 4 of the 6 rolls and had 2 left for sandwiches. You could substitute a combination of Kings Hawaiian sweet bread and yellow dinner rolls if you can't find brioche - my chef contact said don't do it - it wouldn't be the same.

Culinary bakers use scales for everything - hence the "3 ounces egg yolk, 2 ounces egg white, 8 ounces bread." I have a kitchen scale and weighed the eggs yolks and whites.

Thank you SOOOOO much for posting this!! We just got off the Destiny last week and I was SO disappointed that I didn't order the Bitter and Blanc after tasting my hubby's. It was all I could think about! LOL! (well, I am pregnant) So, I searched for a recipe and luckily I found it here! My most darling hubby made it for me a few nights ago and it was PERFECT!!!! I wanted to let everyone know.....we live in a small town so finding brioche is IMPOSSIBLE. He substituted ALL King's Hawaiian bread and honestly it was a 100% perfect match for what we ate on the boat! If not BETTER!!! :D My hubby is not a culinary chef......just a sweet man who likes to spoil his wifey.....and he found this recipe to be no more difficult than any other ordinary dessert recipe. It took him 2 hours (plus the 45 min. baking time). If you liked it on the ship.....definately try this recipe! It was AMAZING! I am already begging him to make it again! :p

Thank you SOOOOO much for posting this!! We just got off the Destiny last week and I was SO disappointed that I didn't order the Bitter and Blanc after tasting my hubby's. It was all I could think about! LOL! (well, I am pregnant) So, I searched for a recipe and luckily I found it here! My most darling hubby made it for me a few nights ago and it was PERFECT!!!! I wanted to let everyone know.....we live in a small town so finding brioche is IMPOSSIBLE. He substituted ALL King's Hawaiian bread and honestly it was a 100% perfect match for what we ate on the boat! If not BETTER!!! :D My hubby is not a culinary chef......just a sweet man who likes to spoil his wifey.....and he found this recipe to be no more difficult than any other ordinary dessert recipe. It took him 2 hours (plus the 45 min. baking time). If you liked it on the ship.....definately try this recipe! It was AMAZING! I am already begging him to make it again! :p

I am so glad so many people have been able to enjoy this recipe....I loved it too. And I thank my chef friend every time I see him. :)

Being from Maryland I was curious about the Maryland corn soup on my 1st Carnival cruise in June. Loved it! Had it again on the Glory last week and it was just as good as

1st time. Would love the recipe. Thank you - so kind of you to do this for us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh, I'd just about kill to have the recipe for the sauce that's served with the flatiron steak on the Carnival Classics menu... I had it more times than I care to admit! Also, I really adore the bread that's served with every meal, maybe a sourdough sort of roll... thanks so much for doing this for the rest of us!

Would anyone happen to have any of the following recipes?

-Raspberry danishes at breakfast

-Cream of Sun Ripened Tomatoes

-Spaghetti Carbonara

-Yukon Gold Potato Cream Soup

-Cream of Garden Fresh Broccoli

-Penne Siciliana

-Wild Mushroomn Cream Soup

Sorry to ask for so many, but they are all so good!

• 3 weeks later...
CARNIVAL'S FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE

Unsweetened cocoa powder

2 (8-oz.) packages semisweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup butter - do not use margarine

5 large eggs, separated

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup sugar

Grease a 9-inch springform pan, and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder.

Melt chopped chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.

Whisk together egg yolks and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually stir in warm chocolate mixture, whisking until well blended.

Beat egg whites at high speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form. Fold one-third beaten egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. (Do not overbake!) Let stand in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes before removing sides of pan

Thank you so much for posting this recipe!! I have made it twice now and both times it turned out fantastic! The only thing I omitted was the 1/4 cup of sugar and I used Splenda instead (a little less than 1/4 cup). This is a good recipe for anyone who is diabetic or watching their carb intake. Add a scoop of lo-carb vanilla ice cream and you're in heaven!

P.S. I used 1-1/2 bags of 60% cocoa semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of the squares.

Edited by jayesouthworth

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought a copy of a first edition copy of "The Carnival Experience" in mint condition at a charity thrift store last week for 99 cents! The first page was signed by the Maitre'D and several of the waitstaff from the MDR. It's a gorgeous book, the recipes are great and the pictures are drool-worthy. I don't know why anyone would give this book away.

• 1 month later...

So, this is probably a strange request, but does anyone know how carnival makes their hard boiled eggs? The shells just slip off, as if there is a thin oil between the shell and the egg, although I can't imagine how they would do this. Any ideas???

Can I get the recipe for Ragout of Wild Mushrooms. I fell in love with it, cruising on the Glory last month!!

Thanks in advance!!

Juanita

I'm no help, but am SO STOKED they brought this back! I wouldn't eat mushrooms until I tried this when DH ordered it. I ended up eating it all on him and ordered my own. I had it every cruise after that, kicking myself for missing it on the first one, darn my stubbornness.

Now I salivate when thinking about it as they got rid of it about 4 years ago. If they brought it back I'll be booking a cruise for sure. :)

I don't need the full recipes but could you please look through at the soups that sound vegetarian(like cream of mushroom, pumpkin) and tell me which ones don't use chicken or beef stock? Thank you very much:D

• 2 weeks later...

My entire family and I went on a Carnival Cruise a couple years ago. We all love the Caramel Apple Tart dessert. Does anyone by chance have a recipe for it? Pineapplegal, could you possibly get it? Thank you all so much in advance!

I am trying to attach a picture below:

cslendorapplecaramel.jpg

2967102600051384943UhpkNB_th.jpg

Btw, you can contact me at ambrose AT saga-realm DOT org if you need to send it to me directly. I will gladly share once I get it. :-)

Edited by Ambrose13
pictures didnt load properly

I don't need the full recipes but could you please look through at the soups that sound vegetarian(like cream of mushroom, pumpkin) and tell me which ones don't use chicken or beef stock? Thank you very much:D

You should be able to substitute any of those recipes with an approved vegatable stock - if it's too weak, add a little salt. You can also boil a small skinless potato in the stock to make it a little thicker as well. Cornstarch and flour also thicken, but I don't like it as much this way! DH is a chef, I know the tricks, lol!

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone have this recipe for the soup served on the Splendor? It was so good that I ordered it for my appetizer and dinner.. hehe

Thank you!

I emailed Carnival as we also enjoyed the Gazpacho Andalouse very much (just got back last week from the Dream, which was our first cruise :)). They emailed me back this recipe:

Gazpacho Andalouse

Ingredients: 25 servings.

Cucumber 1.5 lbs

Garlic 0.1oz.

Green scallions 4oz

Onions 1lbs

Green bell peppers 1lbs

Tarragon fresh 0.1oz.

Thyme Fresh 0.1oz

Tomatoes Fresh 2 lbs

Tomato Juice 48oz 2cans

Pepper black 0.2oz

Salt to taste

Tabasco sauce few drops

Worcestershire sauce few drops

White vinegar few drops

Olive oil 2oz

Procedure:

Place all ingredients (except tomato juice, scallions) in a food processor and mix quickly.

Ingredients should remain grainy not purred.

Add tomato juice check seasoning.

Serve chilled, sprinkle with chopped scallions.

My only issue is that I do not know the conversions for all of the ingredients that call for less than an ounce...can anybody help?

• 4 weeks later...