Anyone else getting their monies worth just w/ planning?

irisheileen

I had to laugh when I came across this thread. I've seen it in passing a few times but never dropped in to read it until today.

I'm gonna need an intervention before my July, 2007, cruise! I have spent more time researching Alaska than doing anything else the past few weeks. I don't know what has got me so hyped about this trip but I can't get enough of pouring over info about ports, trips, etc.

Heck, I even book with Capt. Larry today!!! Nothing like being a month - or 15 - ahead of the game! ;)

I have a 15-day cruise to Hawaii booked for January and other than lunch at Kimo's in Lahaina, I can't tell you the first thing we're going to do. Alaska...I can tell you day by day!

Great question about why you booked this trip. My parents took me on the Sun Princess to Alaska back in 1980. We have said "we really should go back to Alaska" about once a month since that trip. But, somehow, we've always ended up on other itineraries. Enough waiting. A medical 'event' that I suffered a year ago made me decide that I'm not waiting for anything anymore. Gotta make the memories while you can! So, this time, I'm taking my parents to Alaska! Can't wait!!

Now, where did I put my index cards? :)

Beach4me, when is your trip? I'm taking the southbound cruisetour #6 starting on July 16th. I've read somewhere on this board that a good book to read is James Michener's "Alaska". Got it today, of course, I'm more interested in the historical aspect of anything.

Beach4me, when is your trip? I'm taking the southbound cruisetour #6 starting on July 16th. I've read somewhere on this board that a good book to read is James Michener's "Alaska". Got it today, of course, I'm more interested in the historical aspect of anything.

I'm taking the 7/18/07 cruise - 7/14/07 cruisetour. Are you going in '06 or '07, chuckc54? Which ship?

I'll have to look for the Michener book. Thanks for the tip!

I am another one not cruising until June 2007 and I have been completely obsessed since I decided to do this. I have about 60 web bookmarks, 6 Alaska tour books, just about every brochure from every cruiseline available, and I spend hours on this site reading through everything. It's been great - I have learned soooo much. I've even started dreaming about Alaska. And yes, I too have a very thick binder with all the "stuff" I have been collecting.

How am I ever going to wait until next spring:(

I too have a three ring binder that I've been filling since September. Also have a ton of websites added to favorites, as well as brochures and books I've picked up.

Thank Goodness I have this website to share information with as my husband and kids pretty much ignore me when I start talking about Alaska, which is constant:eek: . They really think I'm not well.

I know EXACTLY how you feel!! My husband rolls his eyes at my folder and when I bring it out, everyone runs in the opposite direction. I just hope they aren't sick of hearing about Alaska before we go. I have tried to tone it down ALOT. Now I just get online and read these boards and get all excited like all of you, but keep it to myself ( and my poor neighbor that I walk with every morning ). I also have sent away for all kinds of info from the Chamber of Commerce from all the ports we're going to and several excursions. I don't even show the kids anymore when something comes in the mail. I bought the book "What Time is The Midnite Buffet" and it MAGICALLY disappeared. I think everyone was afraid I'd try to make them read it too. I have just under 7 weeks until I leave June 23 and I can hardly stand it. Having a year to plan and wait is torchure!

Cathy

I too love the planning of the trip almost as much as the cruise/trip itself and then of course there is the photo album of memories to complete at the end so I can bore all my friends to death with out wonderful memories of our cruise!!!!

I have a whole seciton in my filing cabinet dedicated to our cruise. I have a file for each port of call that I fill with brochures, printouts from various web sites, independant tour operator quotes, etc.

I put together our itinerary in "word" and just keep adding notes under each day - As I get more and more organized this document becomes a day by day itinerary that tells me exactly what we are doing each day and when & where to meet out tour guide/company and what we will see/do on that days tour.

I even paste in photos of places we will visit.

As I am usually planning for a whole group I just pass this itinerary around to the group and usually they leave a copy with thier families so that ones at home know where they are each day.

My indepth planning has gotten me a following - now when I book a cruise/trip usually several freinds join in and what amazes me is they are just happy to do whatever I research and say is the best to do! I personnally love the reserach as it makes the trip so much more fun for me. Plus I really know what to expect when we arrive in any port.

I have actually done only a little research for Alaska as I am spending most of my time researching Italy for our cruise there in Sept.

Tip: Have any of you thought to go to your Auto Club to pick up thier Alaska Tourbook and map. Great info and free if you are a memeber

Some of you are very ingenious.

I have one of those plastic pocket binders. There are enough pockets to put each cities info plus the pre-cruise info.

To keep track of my information I have a word document that right now is 24 pages long. The first couple pages are simply a "countdown" or "timeline" of things I need to do to prepare. I also have listed the things I hope are in the Toursaver again so I can check on it and see if the book will be worth buying.

For example

July 2006 - Contact military resort about room.

(Since we are staying there during a holiday and they only allow you to book 365 days in advance I need to call the first day possible to arrange for the 2nd and 3rd of July. These dates go fast.)

Oct 2006 - Start checking airlines

Jan 2007 - Order new city guides

The rest of the document is sectioned off into categories - with any important confirmation numbers, contact numbers, names of who I talk with, etc. EVERYTHING IS VERY DETAILED. Right now there isn't much until I actually start booking things, but for example I list the discount code for rental cars and items like that that will save me money when I do book - so I'm not scouring this board or my desk looking for it when I'm ready to book. I know some things will change but I update the document a couple times a week with things I have learned here on the boards. If I don't have time to update when I come across something I will bookmark the page our copy and paste the info and send it to myself in an email - so I'll have it for when I'm ready to update.

TRANSPORTATION

Here I've listed all the transportation that we will use. I will put the cruise information, airline information (seat assignments/airline contact info), any rental car information for Anchorage and Skagway (pick up/drop off points), the limo in Vancouver, ETC...

The next section is

LODGING

Here I will list the hotel in Anchorage and the information for Seward.

Then I have a sheet for each city – ANCHORAGE, SEWARD, SITKA, etc… but I also have a sheet for the ride from Anchorage to Seward and Seward to Whittier. Each sheet lists the things we would like to do or have booked (will book) for the city. It also gives me other information about the area – like “Spirit works here”, the listing for Internet Cafes and ATM and where they are located. What I want to pick up in that city.

So for example in Anchorage here is what we would like to do – along with the information for each item. I add notes like “See information in folder” to indicate that I have something more in the file folder like a brochure or print out.

Alaska Native Heritage Centerhttp://www.alaskanative.net/Open Daily, 9:00am - 5:00pm - Military - $21.15 / Children - $15.95 (Ages 7-16) –OR- Joint pass with Museum for $20 each. See information in folder.

Alaska Aviation Heritage Centerhttp://home.gci.net/~aahm/ Open 9:00 am to 5:00 pm

Alaska Museum of Natural History - www.alaskamuseum.org Open Tuesday - Saturday: 9 am to 5 pm – Closed Monday. Adults $5.00, Children $3.00

Alaska Experience Theater – http://www.alaskaexperiencetheatre.com/ Open 9 to 9 every day – prices vary depending on exhibit.

Elmendorf Museumhttp://www.museumsusa.org/museums/info/1160117 - E-mail: thomas_liebscher@elmendorf.af.mil Open Mon-Thur. 3 pm -4:45 pm Free

Then I add other information that I have picked up here on CC – for example this is some additional information that I have on Anchorage.

Per CC - Thunderbird Falls and other places of interest - This is one of the easiest hikes in the area. To get there from downtown Anchorage, head toward the mountains on 6th avenue (it's a one way street) which becomes the Glenn Highway. You'll pass through Eagle River and Chugiak before you get to the turnoff for Thunderbird Falls. (about 25 miles). It's about a 2 mile roundtrip hike and very popular with families. You can also easily access the Glenn Highway for a return to Anchorage.

While in the Chugiak-Eagle River area, a trip out the Eagle River Road to the Eagle River Nature Center is also recommended (about a 12 mile drive from Eagle River). There a small but nice visitor center staffed with volunteers and several exhibits as well as hiking trails; we really like the walks and presentations that occur at the center.

To get there from Anchorage, drive out the Glenn Highway again and make an exit on the Eagle River loop road. Continue until you reach the Eagle River Road (Wal-Mart on the right corner) and turn right. Drive to the end of the road and you're there.

Together, the visitor center and Thunderbird falls make a pleasant day's outing. If you get hungry, Eagle River has several restaurants and fast food establishments.

Definitely take mosquito repellent for the hike at Thunderbird Falls - they are monsters! The hike is fairly easy with some mild uphill inclines from time to time, but it is a nice gravel path and if some of your group can't make it, there are a few places to sit and rest (if I remember right). Yes, it is easiest to get to as you head North.

Next on the same city page I list FOOD places we would like to visit – with information if I have it. Like this >>>

Sourdough Mining Company, 5200 Juneau St, 907-563-2272 - replica of an old mill house. Our menu offers a variety of selections; Fresh Alaskan Seafood, Barbecued Specialties, Salads, Sandwiches, and of course, our famous homemade Korn Fritters with Whipped Honey Butter. Enjoy a cocktail from our full-service Creekside Saloon while viewing Alaskan salmon in our backyard creek. Celebrate dessert by "building your own ice cream sundae" from an array of tasty toppings. After dinner, don’t miss the adventures of Dusty Sourdough playing nightly in the Tent City Theatre. Call for show times. Walk the beautiful nature trail and see Reindeer, maybe even surprise a Moose, Beaver or Fox. Reservations recommended.

On the Anchorage to Seward sheet I have this >>>

TRIP TO SEWARD:

Print file from computer “Seward Highway” for break down of mile markers.

Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge - http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=refuge.anch_coastal

Mile marker 117 Seward Highway (3 miles south of Anchorage).

Small fee.

Potter Section House and Historic Park - http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/chugach/turnagan.htm Mile mark 115 Seward Highway

McHugh Creek State Picnic Area. Picnic sites, water, toilets and trails. – Mile mark 111 Seward Highway.

-OR -

Bridge over Indian Creek, rest area at south end of bridge - Mile mark 103.

OTHER POSSIBLE THINGS

Hope Alaska – May be too far out of the way – play it by ear.

You get the idea – several sheets with all the great information that I have learned here on CC. I plan to print each page and put each cities info into tone of the pockets of the folder.

Then I have a sheet that lists >

BUY BEFORE WE LEAVE

PACK (which is just those UNUSUAL items)

BUY ON VACATION

I will add to the end the actual packing list for each of us. I suspect the document will be much longer by the time I get done.

I also have an Excel spreadsheet – ESTIMATING the costs but also adding any websites here for each item – based on 4 people. I was going to upload it so you could see it but this site don't allow Excel sheets and it would be TOO BIG - imagine that :eek: . If you would like a copy I would be happy to send it to you. Just pop me an email with the SUBJECT: Alaska Spreadsheet. I delete emails from unknown sources.

Hope this helps someone.

PS - I use 3 different computers so I have created a PRIVATE Yahoo group that only I have access to. Once I work on my sheets I upload the sheet to the website. That way I can access the sheets from ANY computer - download the sheet - work on it - rename it (I use the date in the name) - delete the one in the site adn upload the new one - this way I ALWAYS have the most current version of the sheet. I do back it up on my main computer every few times - JUST IN CASE. But this way if something does happen to the computer that the file is one I will always have a copy. Call me anal - but I've spent LOTS of time on this stuff and I would hate for a nasty virus to make all my work disappear.

I put together our itinerary in "word" and just keep adding notes under each day - As I get more and more organized this document becomes a day by day itinerary that tells me exactly what we are doing each day and when & where to meet out tour guide/company and what we will see/do on that days tour.

WOW BC - we must have been posting about the same time.I know it looks like several minutes apart - but I went out of the site to type my response in word - it took me about 45 minutes to put it all together - so your post wasn't on there when I got off - but after I posted I went back to see if anyone had posted after I got off and when I strted reading your post it was like "TOO WEIRD".

I too love the planning of the trip almost as much as the cruise/trip itself and then of course there is the photo album of memories to complete at the end so I can bore all my friends to death with out wonderful memories of our cruise!!!!

I have a whole seciton in my filing cabinet dedicated to our cruise. I have a file for each port of call that I fill with brochures, printouts from various web sites, independant tour operator quotes, etc.

I even paste in photos of places we will visit.

As I am usually planning for a whole group I just pass this itinerary around to the group and usually they leave a copy with thier families so that ones at home know where they are each day.

My indepth planning has gotten me a following - now when I book a cruise/trip usually several freinds join in and what amazes me is they are just happy to do whatever I research and say is the best to do! I personnally love the reserach as it makes the trip so much more fun for me. Plus I really know what to expect when we arrive in any port.

I have actually done only a little research for Alaska as I am spending most of my time researching Italy for our cruise there in Sept.

Tip: Have any of you thought to go to your Auto Club to pick up thier Alaska Tourbook and map. Great info and free if you are a memeber

I, too, LOVE the whole process of planning trips (to England, NYC, Chicago, Vegas, ALASKA) and used to be kidded about it. I couldn't help notice,however, that I was the "go to" person on these trips. My friends all get my advice before they travel now. I just wish I could afford to go on all the trips I'm invited on.

I'm glad they trust me, but I would never turn over the trip planning to someone else - it's too much fun to do myself!

• 2 months later...

Just reviewing some of my old posts for info "wrap up" because we leave in 1 week!! I'm curious how any of your organization systems worked out if you've already gone to Alaska this summer?

What did you wish you had done differently? (that you realized on board)

Eileen

Hello fellow planners!

We are leaving in a week also, CAN'T WAIT! I have also just loved the planning and have spent so much time reading and researching and feel like I am way more getting my money's worth out of this then those who are just taking the cruise without all of this. However, my DH told me today "you are going to have such a let down when this is over". Do any of you find this to be the case? We are on a limited budget so it won't be like we can start working on the next one for a while. Oh well, back to the boards. Have a great trip everyone!!

Hi everyone - when I saw the title of this thread I just had to read it ! too funny !! My DH and I decided to try cruising for the first time and are booked on Infinity (Celebrity) to Alaska next July - we sail one year from today ! - yippeeeee - and will be in Vancouver for 3 nights prior to sailing.

We decided on the cruise before the schedule was even out for next year and the day it was - we booked - and I didn't get a wink of sleep that night ! Shortly after booking I found this message board and have been reading ever since - the Celebrity board / Alaska / and anything else even closely related to our cruise.

So many CC members have been so helpful - we will definitely get the most out of our cruise. My DH said to me a while ago that he never thought one vacation could bring such enjoyment - he said we don't have to cruise - we just have to plan to cruise LOL !!! at first he was a little irritated with all the time I spend on the internet - but the more information I passed on to him - the more he realized the benefits of my research were worth it !!! I'm reading all about Alaska excursions and will be ready to book as soon as they are posted next Spring.

Those of you who have been planning a whole year - how am I ever going to get through the next year - already got the clothes - the formal dress - the luggage and my passport - LOL !!! now what ??????

soo excited, It seems like forever away, but the time will fly by and your cruise will be here before you know it. We booked back in September and now we have less than a month to go. I've spent the time doing lots of planning and research, especially by reading these boards almost every day.

I think there will be a bit of let down after the cruise, especially having to go back to work, having to cook, having to make your own bed and not having chocolates on your pillow every night. However, I do scrapbooking so that will keep me busy with the tons of pictures I'm sure we will have.

Hi everyone - when I saw the title of this thread I just had to read it ! too funny !! My DH and I decided to try cruising for the first time and are booked on Infinity (Celebrity) to Alaska next July - we sail one year from today ! - yippeeeee - and will be in Vancouver for 3 nights prior to sailing.

We decided on the cruise before the schedule was even out for next year and the day it was - we booked - and I didn't get a wink of sleep that night ! Shortly after booking I found this message board and have been reading ever since - the Celebrity board / Alaska / and anything else even closely related to our cruise.

So many CC members have been so helpful - we will definitely get the most out of our cruise. My DH said to me a while ago that he never thought one vacation could bring such enjoyment - he said we don't have to cruise - we just have to plan to cruise LOL !!! at first he was a little irritated with all the time I spend on the internet - but the more information I passed on to him - the more he realized the benefits of my research were worth it !!! I'm reading all about Alaska excursions and will be ready to book as soon as they are posted next Spring.

Those of you who have been planning a whole year - how am I ever going to get through the next year - already got the clothes - the formal dress - the luggage and my passport - LOL !!! now what ??????

The Infinity is such a great ship! We sailed on her a few years ago, and really liked the layout-it's easy to navigate around the ship.

Speaking of formal dress... I'd better try on that MOB dress that I wore for my daugher's June 05 wedding to see if it still fits! lol! I'm "practicing" packing today! (My DH doesn't know that I came down to the computer for my CC fix!)

I posted this on another thread a week or so ago.

My DH isn't in to the planning part. Wants there to be excitement of the unknown when he boards. I love to talk about it, read about it, shop, talk, etc for the entire time before my cruise. He really doesn't want to hear about it. He says he feels like he already had the vacation before he gets ther. So my friend and I figured it this way

If we pay 3000.00( arbitrary number) each, for 7 days, He is getting 7 days for 3,000.00. But I, however, am getting 2 months for 3,000.00. I am a bargin! And since it is such a good deal, 2months of vacation for 5,000.00... we need to do it more often;)

great Idea On The 3 Ring Binder I Just Use Folders I Like Your Idea Better. We Are Sick Cruisers But Then Who Else Would Make Our Trips So Awesome. Here's Too All Of Us Way Int0 Planning- Cheers Have Awesome Cruises Everyone - I Leave In 3 Days :) Karon

Came home from our cruise to Alaska first week in June. I had taken only the "important" pages out of my 3-ring binder and all that paper still weighed a ton. Ended up being overweight on one of my suitcases!!! I through out the papers I brought with me after each day passed but then you end up gathering more papers each day on your trip!! I tried using the index cards also. Took each day index card with me when I left the ship and what happens? you get so involved that you forget to look at the index card! :eek: The first day of the cruise I highlighted the Compass on what we would like to do and didn't do half of it. There is NO TIME! Gave up on the highlighting by the next day. Putting tips in separate envelopes before the trip helped A LOT! Final day didn't have to do much with that. Just handed them out.

Just reviewing some of my old posts for info "wrap up" because we leave in 1 week!! I'm curious how any of your organization systems worked out if you've already gone to Alaska this summer?

What did you wish you had done differently? (that you realized on board)

Eileen

I used a 3-ring binder for a lot of my information - first section for the general info on the land portion, second section for the general info on the cruise portion, then three more sections, each devoted to the three ports we visited.

I too tossed the info after we finished that portion of the trip.

One thing that was interesting was how some of the info I read about on this board was not totally accurate - we were encouraged to bring extra hangers for example for the closet. We had so many hangers for the three of us that we didn't really need to bring any more. And leaving your extra hangers for the next passenger sounds nice but they are removed by the room stewards after you leave - saw that happening on several occasions in rooms near ours.

I am glad that I wrote to the tourist offices of each of the ports beforehand. I received the tourist brochures ahead of time and it helped me decide whether to do certain things in the port, etc.

I am sure there are some things I would have done differently but honestly I can't think of them right now. If I do, I will post back.

Have a great cruise.

I found and read this thread last night and actually hooted at those of you who admit to actually having a three ring binder!! My, aren't you the little planners!!

This afternoon after searching through my regular ol manila folder with everything stuck in it every which way, I went right out a bought myself a three ring binder and some dividers with pockets.

So, I guess I am a little planner too!! Thanks so much for the great idea!!

My only problem is, I laughed so hard at all of you last night, how am I going to hide my binder from my husband!?

:D

I too just booked our cruise a week ago for Aug. 25, 2007 on the Serenade of the Seas. My sister sent me to this sight and have enjoyed it very much. I have learned so much...this is my first cruise. I have a stack of print outs, so was glad to hear about the binder...I am going out this afternoon to buy one. The more I read about Alaska the more I search for and the bigger my stack of papers gets.:rolleyes: I am afraid we won't have time to see everything I want to see.:confused: Can't wait to set sail and am enjoying the research and planning of the trip.:)

I'm hoping I can condense stuff and not need a binder - or just a small one ! for now, instead of printing stuff - I'm cutting and pasting into an electronic file which I will go through later and condense and organize , and then print that. Of course, if my computer crashes on me in the next year I'll be in major trouble !!! :D

I'm hoping I can condense stuff and not need a binder - or just a small one ! for now, instead of printing stuff - I'm cutting and pasting into an electronic file which I will go through later and condense and organize , and then print that. Of course, if my computer crashes on me in the next year I'll be in major trouble !!! :D

I do the same thing. I have a main document that I have sectioned by ports. When I find something on the boards I go to that section of the document and copy and paste the information in - along with any useful comments. I keep it "safe" after saving I upload the file to my FREE yahoo group that I have just for me. I'm the only one with access - so I upload many things that I want to be able to access from anywhere. By putting the document in yahoo groups I can pull it off during lunch - add any items I find and then upload the new version to the group. I delete off the old one once I'm sure the new one is on. Everytime I save a new version I re-name it - right now I'm up to version 30 - "Alaska2007_V30". Of course if anything did happen on the site I would have a copy on one of my computers. I plan to condense the info, then print - review with the family and then make our final plans.

Archived