Plus Size Cruising (for DIL Judy)

sarahruth23

A while back, someone started a thread asking about comfort on cruises for plus sized woman. As a big woman ( about a size 24) who just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Liberty, I wanted to share my experiences.

The hardest part about traveling when you're big is the airplanes. We had to ride a little plane and a bigger plane. On the little plane, the seatbelt would not go all the way around me. On the way down, I just didn't put it on and the flight attendant didn't notice. On the way back, she brought me a seat belt extender. On the bigger plane, it did fit. However, none of the seats are very comfortable. But don't worry. This is NOT a major part of your vacation!

Once I got on the ship I forgot all about my weight. There were people of all sizes and shapes everywhere. The young "bathing beauties" were actually few and far between and pretty much kept to themselves. I decided that I was going to enjoy my cruise no matter what. I wore a bathing suit on deck and on excursions. I went snorkeling, on the BOB (an underwater motor scooter), swimming with dolphins and stingrays, and rode a jet ski and never had any problems. Of course, there were some excursions with weight limits - I just avoided those even if I thought I would make it because there were plenty of other things to do. No one ever said one thing to me about being in a bathing suit - in fact, I didn't even get any funny looks!

As far as chairs on the ship go - the lounge chairs on deck are lot and fairly hard to get in and out of, but I'm pretty sure that's true of lounge chairs in general, no matter what size you are (skinny people? want to help me out here?) In the casual dining rooms, there was a mixture of chairs with arms and booths. In the formal dining room, there were some booths, and some chairs had arms and some didn't. Honestly, the chairs with arms were generously sized because I had no trouble with them. I didn't even feel squeezed in. I don't usually like booths either because I don't find that there's enough room between the table and the booth. But I didn't have any trouble here.

I can't think of anything else to report - I really and truly didn't even think about my weight while I was there (except on the airplane). The only reason I even noticed the things I noted above was because I knew I was supposed to come back and give a report. If you think of any questions, feel free to let me know. Just relax and have fun no matter what!

You are so right about those lounge chairs. Now I am far from skinny now, but I used to be a size 4 on a 5'10" frame and I could never get up "gracefully" from one of those chairs...and still can't.

A while back, someone started a thread asking about comfort on cruises for plus sized woman. As a big woman ( about a size 24) who just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Liberty, I wanted to share my experiences.

I went snorkeling, on the BOB (an underwater motor scooter), swimming with dolphins and stingrays, and rode a jet ski and never had any problems.

!

Thanks for your information.. I was wondering about the BOB. I would love to do this but worried because I'm a size 26. Did you have any problems? I really appreciate your willingness to share.

cathyoo - Nope, I didn't have any problems at all. Even though you don't get to go under the water for a very long time, I definitely think you should do it. It was such a neat experience! Like nothing else you've done. I didn't have to do one thing different b/c of my weight. I just had fun!

Hello! Welcome back! So glad to hear you had a nice vacation. Thank you for thinking of me, and my MIL, I truly feel we have eased some of her anxiety about the cruise. She seems as relaxed and excited as ever. MY DH shared w/ her what I had done ( the original post) and she was so happy she cried! I guess this was all really tormenting her even more than we realized. I was worried she would be embarassed when DH told her what I had done, but she wasn't and could tell by all your posts that you could really see where she was coming from. Thank you everyone!

-Judy

Thanks so much for this post; as another plus-size woman soon to be going on my first cruise, I really appreciate it. :)

Any other experiences out there?

Hi!! I'm also a plus size gal who travel alot!! At the end of this month, I'm heading off for my 4th cruise solo!! I love water sports and I pack the swimming suits!! I dress very glam for dinner on the formal nights!!

You meet people of many shapes and sizes on the ship. In fact, I see more people that's a size 10 and higher than the size 0 :D :D !!

Just be yourself and enjoy your trip!!

Hey,

As you can see from our signature, we have been on a couple of cruises. I am 6'2 and about 310lbs. Mlf is about a size 24/26 she fly to the west coast all the time for business and uses a seat belt extender. she says that she would be rather be embarrased and have it then not to have it if something really went wrong on a plane.

We have just come back off of the valor Sunday. There were tons of spring breakers running around half naked, but who care there tons of people our size having a great time too. I swear to god there was even this older women 70's in a 2 peice almost transparent. She was walking around like her S**T dont stink and she didnt give a damm. Will my weight ever keep me from enjoying a vacation. NOT IN MY LIFE TIME.

Steve

I always say, if you are comfortable with our own body who gives a d**n what everyone else thinks.

I feel good and do wear th 2 piece (not a tiny transparent one), the only thing that bothers me is that darn lose skin hanging of the underside of my arms, i guess that just comes with age.

Thanks so much for this post; as another plus-size woman soon to be going on my first cruise, I really appreciate it. :)

Any other experiences out there?

I am a fat chick and I love, love, love to travel. I have been on 2 cruises so far. I do ask for an extender on the plane and they bring it to me - no big deal. Also, a little known fact is that the armrests on the *aisle* side of the plane typically go up. That made flying much more comfortable for me. (Since I live near Galveston, I typically drive and cruise from there, but I cruised out of Miami this February).

I have never had any major problems cruising. I find the dining room chairs with arms to be teeny, tiny, but I ask for an armless chair my first night and it is there every night after. They could do a little better with seating on the Lido. Those flimsy white plastic chairs are NOT cool. The other seating I have found to be ok.

My first excursion was Discover Scuba in Cozumel. It was fabulous! I made sure to email them in advance to make sure they had a BCD to accomodate me.

I've also climbed Dunn's River Falls, swum with dolphins, fed stingrays, and done all kinds of other cool stuff.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.:)

My friend and I are also plus-sized women (sz 24), and I agree, I think the plane ride is the worse! I had found them uncomfortable back when I was size 12, however. We were on the Valore last month, and encountered no problems at all. The dining room chairs and booths were comfy, even with as tightly as they squeeze the tables together, and on the deck there are plenty of tables, and also upright chairs to sit in the sun. I was self concious at first, but when I saw that no one was staring, not even teenagers, I became much more comfortable. People are usually too busy having a good time to worry about what others looked like. I suppose some places you'll run into snobs like that, but for the most part everyone's just normal people with some extra pounds, be it a small amount or a lot!

We also went on a submarine ride in the Cayman, a courtesy from a relative that works for Atlantis. My friend was afraid to go because someone had told her that the hatch wouldn't be big enough for her to fit in! My relative just laughed, and he was right-it was just fine! So we had a nice tour-enjoyed ourselves thoroughly!

There was honestly nothing that I could recall that we avoided because of size. So to all the big and beautiful people out there, enjoy!

Back before those babies and the desk job, I had a nice figure - wore bikinis even. However, those 10 - 15 years later, as mentioned by another poster have taken their toll. Even though I'm now a size 16 to 18, I like to have a good time too. I even take my kids to the pool and lay out in the sun. Am I embarrassed? Sure - this isn't my body, some fat old lady has moved in! But, when I was growing up, my mom was plus sized, more in the size 22 to 24 range, and I've never seen her in a swim suit. She wouldn't even wear shorts in public. She didn't get out and do things with us because she was embarrassed about her weight. I'm determined my kids are going to miss out because I'M fat! It's not their fault. Besides that, you only live once. If I want to have a good time on a cruise, or by the pool, why not? There's no point in waiting until I'm thin again, given my genes, that ain't gonna happen...:o

Being a male BIG PERSON ( I go about 5'-10" 375lbs.) I thought i'd have problems. Never encountered any. The bathroom was big enough, had a king size bed. Sat in a booth during dinner. Went on some excursions and even in mini van style cabs. I was joined by my DW who is lovely plus size lady. We both had a ball, best vacation ever. So enjoy yourself.:)

Once I got on the ship I forgot all about my weight. There were people of all sizes and shapes everywhere. The young "bathing beauties" were actually few and far between and pretty much kept to themselves. I decided that I was going to enjoy my cruise no matter what. I wore a bathing suit on deck and on excursions. I went snorkeling, on the BOB (an underwater motor scooter), swimming with dolphins and stingrays, and rode a jet ski and never had any problems.

Is there a weight limit on the BOB. we booked this but on another similar excusion they said wight limit 240. Of course I weigh 245. Should we cancel this or take our chances.

You are so right about those lounge chairs. Now I am far from skinny now, but I used to be a size 4 on a 5'10" frame and I could never get up "gracefully" from one of those chairs...and still can't.

you are so right LHP...."lounge chair" and "graceful" are never words that go together no matter what size/age you are. I've flipped a couple backwards, & not on purpose!:p

Being a plus size female also...I don't worry about what people think of me either. I have been this way all my life and I have learned to love myself. When I am on a cruise I too see people of all sizes. I never worry if anyone is looking at me because I don't care. If they don't like what they see...well they don't have to look. Hubby and I travel all the time. I have never had a problem with anything other than an airplane. Just got the extender and flew right on. I don't like flying so doubt I will be doing that again. I do sit in the regular chairs on the deck but I don't lay in the sun so I don't use the lounge chairs. But I refuse to let anything ruin my vacation. Would love to do a meet and greet with other BBW and BBM on a cruise one day.

I've been a plus size girl all my life also. My philosophy is you only live once and there's a big gorgeous world out there to see!

I never knew you could ask for an extender on the airplane! It would have made some of my previous flights less stressful. Thanks for the info! :)

On my first cruise in 2002 on the Holiday, I was disappointed though, because the gift shop on the ship didn't carry souvenir clothing in my size (22-24). I didn't even bother checking in 2004. Does anyone know if they've started selling plus size tshirts and such yet onboard ships? :confused:

Is there a weight limit on the BOB. we booked this but on another similar excusion they said wight limit 240. Of course I weigh 245. Should we cancel this or take our chances.

I don't know - I thought maybe the web site said 350? Anyway, I'm closer to 250 and no one said anything to me and I didn't have any problems. I did it in St. Thomas - is that where you're looking at doing it? I say go for it! It was such a neat and unique experience!

I've been a plus size girl all my life also. My philosophy is you only live once and there's a big gorgeous world out there to see!

I never knew you could ask for an extender on the airplane! It would have made some of my previous flights less stressful. Thanks for the info! :)

On my first cruise in 2002 on the Holiday, I was disappointed though, because the gift shop on the ship didn't carry souvenir clothing in my size (22-24). I didn't even bother checking in 2004. Does anyone know if they've started selling plus size tshirts and such yet onboard ships? :confused:

I was looking for plus-sized clothing in the shops-didn't find much of anything on the Valor! I WAS disappointed about that-Carnival needs to improve their selection. The sizes seemed to mostly just go up to XL, with a few things here and there marked XXL, but not much! :(

Being a plus size female also...I don't worry about what people think of me either. I have been this way all my life and I have learned to love myself. When I am on a cruise I too see people of all sizes. I never worry if anyone is looking at me because I don't care. If they don't like what they see...well they don't have to look. Hubby and I travel all the time. I have never had a problem with anything other than an airplane. Just got the extender and flew right on. I don't like flying so doubt I will be doing that again. I do sit in the regular chairs on the deck but I don't lay in the sun so I don't use the lounge chairs. But I refuse to let anything ruin my vacation. Would love to do a meet and greet with other BBW and BBM on a cruise one day.

I really like the idea of a meet and greet-that WOULD be fun! We are going again in January on the Liberty-may have to consider trying to get that going on the roll call board!:)

Thanks for the post....makes me feel a lot better about my first cruise. I have really put on the weight this past year so I was a little bit worried about going on my first cruise in November. I'm still going to try to lose a couple of pounds so I can eat good when I am on the ship... LOL! :p

Archived