CB - Buffet vs Dining Room

cruisefar

My husband hates to get dressed up so I was thinking of skipping the dining room on formal nights and eating in the buffet. Do they serve the same food in the buffet that is served in the dining room? He loves the lobster and will get dressed up if he would miss the lobster!! Can you wear shorts in the buffet?

Good questions. I used to say that you'd be stupid for not going to the dining room; that you'd be missing out on one of the best parts of the cruise experience. If you were a first-timer I might still lean in that direction.

UNLESS, the notion of dressing up turns him off to the point where he has this part of the cruise experience that he dreads....it's supposed to be a fun, fabulous experience.

As far as Lobster on the Buffet goes...maybe; in the Caribe Cafe. Bring the formal night outfits just in case, then check to be sure. I had a wonderful Lobster Kabob on one sailing at the Cafe but not on the next. I might have missed it though.

Shorts? Sticklers would say no, formal night is formal night all night no matter where you are. All I know is that after formal night my very next stop is back to the cabin to change into shorts and be comfortable...and I am not alone by a long shot. Still, you will see guys in tuxes and gals in lovely gowns at midnight in Skywalkers...way after dining time.

Right or wrong I always consider the buffet areas informal and shorts appropriate. I don't think this is a big deal any more on any line.

My husband hates to get dressed up so I was thinking of skipping the dining room on formal nights and eating in the buffet. Do they serve the same food in the buffet that is served in the dining room? He loves the lobster and will get dressed up if he would miss the lobster!! Can you wear shorts in the buffet?

We are sailing on the CB again next week for the seventh time, altho we dress formally every nite, that is what we enjoy, we still eat in the Cafe Caribe every nite. The food is great, the view is fantastic and i can pick and choose what i want to eat. Also, it doesn't cut into our dancing time *>).....we met a couple last trip that was just a bit disappointed in the selections in the dining room so they joined us last formal nite in the Cafe...........they were thrilled..........

Bon Appetite.......

My husband and I are sailing for the 2nd time on Caribbean Princess in just a couple of weeks. We're sailing with CruiseAholic - who is rapidly working on one full year (365 days) on Princess ships, but he's never sailed on Caribbean Princess and he's anxious to try the Cafe Caribe I've been raving about.

After a BUNCH of Princess cruises, no matter how much you like the food, it starts to get a little old. I personally don't think they change the menus often enough. Cafe Caribe was (and is) a GREAT alternative. I think the plan is for us to hit Cafe Caribe at least a few nights this time around (and maybe even on the formal nights). We'll still dress "to code" - maybe a tad bit more casually for the ladies - but I like having the option of Cafe Caribe at dinnertime!!

Tina-sounds like a plan to me, the Cafe many nights, that is UNLESS I end up knowing some of the wait staff / matre'd if so, we usually get extra special service.

Countdown has begun, but lots to do...

Princess cruise # 37 here I come!

We sailed last year on the CB and we never went to the diningroom once. Didn't feel we missed a single thing. The Buffet and Cafe Caribe were so good, we actually were very satisfied. Those that complained of slow service in the diningroom we just grinned at. LOL

Please let your husband know he's not alone. We never dress up. We just returned from a cruise on the Sapphire Princess and only went to one dining room one time.

The buffet was perfectly fine and to be honest the room service was pretty good also.

The only thing you're not supposed to wear at the buffet is a bathing suit but there were people in bathing suits eating at the buffet for every meal. So much for that "guideline".

Thanks for your input. We've cruised many times and I think it may be fun to try something new!! I think I will pack formal clothes. We can always stop by the buffet on our way to our cabin to change and see what's available and decide at the time. This should be a relaxing cruise with so many at sea days and such relaxed dining options!!

Cruisefar,

We just got off the CB on Saturday and the best dinner was the last formal night on Thursday. This was twin lobster tails and rack of lamb. The lobster was prepared perfectly and most at our table ordered 4 tails! If DH loves lobster, I would tell him to wear his suit and enjoy the Thursday formal.

We loaded up at the Caribe Cafe on the first evening with lobster claws, king crab legs, prawns and smoked salmon and took back to our balcony for appetizers. The lobster was not edible as it was so salty, they must have inadvertently soaked it in brine. Everything else was delicious.

We were on the CB 4/1-4/8. I agree w/Cobalt. The seafood buffet in Cafe Caribe was wonderful, except for the lobster claws. The 2nd formal night in the dining room was awesome. At times it seemed that people didn't know about Cafe Caribe--Horizon Court would be jammin & very few in Cafe Caribe.

We also had lunch in the formal dining room & afternoon tea (hey- gotta have something to hold you over until dinner). Both were a lot better than I expected. The pasta was first rate.

Archived