Grand Princess Dry Dock???

CAcruzfunatic

Sailed recently and my room steward indicated to me that he was going home to the Phillipines when the Grand dry docked sometime in late september, he thought. And he did say it was for 13 days.

I would imagine that if the ship is being taken out of service, major mechanical work will be planned. No doubt there are all kinds of little problems that could be taken care of, upgrades to equipment, and I'm sure some changes related to fire safety and general security will be made in the aftermath of the fire on Star Princess.

Maintenance and replacement of things like carpets, changing out linens, etc. takes place on a regular basis while the ship is in service.

I'll be curious to see if any substantial changes are made when we cruise again on Grand Princess in December.

• 4 months later...

August 15th, 2006, 08:08 AM

T&J user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_7464823", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by spongerob

Tony...can you get any idea what work is planned for Grand Princess when she goes into drydock later this year?

Ok just ran into Giancarlo the Staff First Purser and he has told me the following regarding the drydock for the Grand Princess.

The Keel will be completely scrapped from front to back.

Also major plumbing and electrical issues and repairs are to happen as well.

Also, pax areas are going to be completely spruced up not just removing old carpeting.

Also, I was surprise to learn as the new linens for the Suites and Mini-Suites were already upgraded, Princess is alo going to upgrade all cabins on all ships as the new linens arrive and will be phased in over the next several months....wow that's a nice plus!

That's what I have heard so far..will keep you posted if I hear more!

I came across this information on another thread. I'm looking forward to see the improvements on our November 18th cruise!!!

My daughter and SIL just booked a Nov. 1, 2006 cruise out of Barcelona. It cruises the Med. and then sails back to Ft. Luderdale where FL residents can disembark and then on to Galveston. Maybe that's where the dry dock work will happen. It returns on Nov. 15 in FL.

Looks like the work will take place in Barcelona between Oct 18 and Nov. 1. Grand leaves Venice Oct 8 on the last of the Med cruises, arriving Barcelona Oct. 18. Then there is a two week window with no cruises scheduled and the next cruise is the Transatlantic Nov. 1. So Katy, your SIL and DD will be among the first to see what might be new and improved.

Looks like the work will take place in Barcelona between Oct 18 and Nov. 1. Grand leaves Venice Oct 8 on the last of the Med cruises, arriving Barcelona Oct. 18. Then there is a two week window with no cruises scheduled and the next cruise is the Transatlantic Nov. 1. So Katy, your SIL and DD will be among the first to see what might be new and improved.

The work is being completed in Palermo, Italy in late October for 13 days. They will be ferrying the ship empty (no pax's only crew) to Palermo, Italy to complete the drydock.

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Just told my daughter, and she is even more excited now. I did some checking and can't find the Grand doing a cruise between Oct 8 and 31.

Archived