NCL air program--what do you think?

DroopySails

We've never used NCL's air program in the US or Puerto Rico because we've always found better prices ourselves. I'm wondering about others' experiences with this program. Have you gotten good deals?

Anyone used it for Europe, especially for cruises that start and end in two different ports?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

We've never used NCL's air program in the US or Puerto Rico because we've always found better prices ourselves. I'm wondering about others' experiences with this program. Have you gotten good deals?

Anyone used it for Europe, especially for cruises that start and end in two different ports?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

We used NCL last year to fly from SC to London and return home at the end of the cruise from NY. It was great. And, best price we could find. Our flight was several hours late arriving in London and the local limo service that was supposed to take us to the hotel had a driver pick us up. We were impressed that. This time air was not an option with NCL from here to Istanbul and home from Greece. We were shocked. We ended up booking our own. Fortunately we got a good rate and were able to upgrade. Yea!

I've used NCL air for two transatlantic cruises that started and ended in different ports and for a South America cruise and an Asia/Australia cruise. Price was better going with NCL for those four cruises however unless you book a pre stay, NCL will fly you in at the last minute. If your cruise leaves at 5 PM, you may not land until 2 PM. For me, I use the cruise lines air if I'm dealing with airports in foreign countries where language may be a problem and if it's cheaper. They also offer an air deviation fee where you can request certain things.

We leave on the 4/30 Transatlantic in just a few more days. NCL air fare was $615 per person....the cheapest we were able to find on our own was $1000 per person. Got my flight information and it's perfect...leaving Barcelona early and will be home in time for bed that night. No air deviation needed...they picked perfect flight times for us and the price was the best going (for once).

Before you book do some homework checking around for flights. We've always done it and the majority of time we book it ourselves. That once in a blue moon though sure can save you some money and hassle though.

You are so right! I'm a nervous traveler when trying to make tight connections. I forgot to say that we did a pre package on that trip! And, on that subject...I wouldn't do that again unless the situation was similar. The hotel was not the greatest for the $$$ we paid. We did their pre because we stayed in London and sailed from Dover and they provided transportation between as well as airport transfers! That alone made the hotel a better value. We usually book our own hotels and have much better locations and a much better price. You just have to weigh what you get for each trip and the $$$ and convenience that they provide .

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. Even if NCL's air prices are better, I wonder how much $, if any, you save after paying a deviation fee or booking their HUGELY overpriced hotel packages. (We'd never fly somewhere just to get straight on a ship--staying at least a couple of days to explore is a must for us.)

Dragonfly, I was particularly interested in your comment that NCL doesn't offer air to/from Istanbul/Athens, as that's the cruise for which we thought we'd check out NCL air options.

As always, doing your own homework and comparing options rules!

Thanks again, all.

Thanks, Dragonfly...I am thinking WAY ahead (I love the planning aspect of travel) for '07.

This fall, we're on the Jewel's Barcelona-Miami transatlantic, but NCL just released their 2007 Europe itineraries and the Istanbul-Athens and Athens-Istanbul itineraries are being offered again. Looks so good we may not be able to pass this up...be sure to write a review after you get back this fall!

We used NCL last year to fly from SC to London and return home at the end of the cruise from NY. It was great. And, best price we could find. Our flight was several hours late arriving in London and the local limo service that was supposed to take us to the hotel had a driver pick us up. We were impressed that. This time air was not an option with NCL from here to Istanbul and home from Greece. We were shocked. We ended up booking our own. Fortunately we got a good rate and were able to upgrade. Yea!

What airline did they use to fly you to London? I'm flying into there for the fall T/A on the Dream.

What airline did they use to fly you to London? I'm flying into there for the fall T/A on the Dream.

We flew on Delta for that trip too. I guess it all depends on where you live and what airline they can bargain the best rates with. Some of the group came over on British Air and even Virgin. It's just hard to tell. I had checked out what was available on the web and pretty much thought that we'd be put on Delta since they have the best connections for us! We were happy since we are members of the Delta awards program. Good luck. They will do a good job for you!

I've used NCL air for two transatlantic cruises that started and ended in different ports. Price was better going with NCL for those four cruises however unless you book a pre stay, NCL will fly you in at the last minute. If your cruise leaves at 5 PM, you may not land until 2 PM. For me, I use the cruise lines air if I'm dealing with airports in foreign countries where language may be a problem and if it's cheaper. They also offer an air deviation fee where you can request certain things.

For the Transatlantic do you rememebr what airline they gave you? And di you fly to Barcelona?

My concern would be what airline, I would not want to be on Iberian or LOT or Aeroflot.

I'm thinking about a Transatlantic and the one way airfares are crazy costing double a RT. So why not just book an RT and skip the return leg.

I typically book my own air, with the exception of overseas flights. Given the hassel with transfers, taxis, etc., I let the cruise lines deal with it in Europe or Asia. Having said that, I do book cruise line air when my schedule puts me in a bind stateside, either getting to the ship on time, or getting me back in time to get back to work.

The Pearl's schedule for next March is a great example. I have to work on Thursday, the 29th of March. The Pearl leaves Miami at 4:00 PM on Friday, and returns at noon on Sunday, nine days later. Connections between South Bend, Indiana and Miami are iffy at best, and I have to be back to work on Monday. When I deal with NCL on their air, I do request an air deviation in order to make sure I can get out and back within my work schedule, and I'm willing to pay for it. The security blanket is not missing the ship's departure, and the air deviation makes sure I get back to my destination on the day prior to returning to work. I make it their (NCL's) issue, not mine, nor the airline's. It sure helps me sleep better.;)

I'm thinking about a Transatlantic and the one way airfares are crazy costing double a RT. So why not just book an RT and skip the return leg.

This will probably get zapped, but you could try Best Travel Store (bt-store.com). They have good prices for one-way tickets.

For the Transatlantic do you rememebr what airline they gave you? And di you fly to Barcelona?
Was supposed to be on United from Denver to NY and NY to Barcelona. Plane had mechanical difficulty in flight and made emergency landing in Chicago. NCL put me on Iberia Airlines (loved it) and flew me to Madrid. Then took a short flight from Madrid to Barcelona on another airline (can't remember the name).
That's what I did for a Transatlantic cruise that ended in Rome. I bought a round trip ticket from Rome to Denver and back and didn't use the return flight. Saved a bundle. Just make sure it's the return leg you don't use and not the first leg. If you don't make the first leg of a round trip flight, the airline will cancel your whole ticket.

When NCL did my two one way flights for my South America cruise, they put me on United both directions.

NCL put me on Iberia Airlines (loved it) and flew me to Madrid.

Good to hear. I always rememebr a WSJ article from probably 12 years ago about problem airlines, most of the problems was due to lack of funds caused corner cutting. Iberia was one of them.

What I remember most was a documented case of an Iberia pilot who took off without configuring his Inertial Nav system which must be done on land. Instead of landing to fix it he decided to head off across the Atlantic using his compass and ended up way off course. In those days there was no GPS (which can config in the air), even today most commerical airliners over 5 years old would not have GPS. I'm a private pilot so that story sticks with me as really bad judgement.

Thanks for the input, I'll see what NCL has to offer. The 2007 Jewel transatlantic fares are out and are a little lower then 2006 book....except for the AB which is up like $800 :(

OK, they had a bad judgement call but at least he wasn't drunk as have been several pilots from some of the airlines here!!! Good luck in finding your flights. Let us know what you come up with. I was going to rebook on Air France or Turkish Air if Delta wasn't flying! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on that one.

Part of our cruise "deal" through NCL UK was internal UK flights. I asked which airline they used - the answer was British Airways (BA) or British Midland (bmi). As bmi are part of the Star Alliance I said I would prefer to use their flights - no problems plus we're flying to London 2 days prior to the ship leaving Dover. Bus transfers from Heathrow to Dover were also included in the price. Although this was with the UK office and the cruise price included internal flights it may be worth asking if it would be possible to use your preferred airline. If you don't ask, you'll never know.

Archived