How "safe" are you when taking air with NCL

FierceAXBoi

Lets say theres a mechanical problem with the airplane. Will the ship wait for you?

That depends on how late the flight is. Most mechanical problems on jets can be resolved fairly quickly by placing you on another flight.

That's another reason why you should buy travel/cruise insurance. If included within the package, you can catch the ship at its first port with little expense out of your pocket book.

Lets say theres a mechanical problem with the airplane. Will the ship wait for you?
The ship will wait, if it can. If not, NCL will get you to the first port.

Here is another point to consider. If you have a long flight during the winter, it would be better to fly to the port at least 1 day early, and book through the cruiseline. We're flying from Boston to Honolulu in December to cruise on the Pride of Aloha.

Winter storms and airline cancellations are sooo stressful. I would rather have the cruiseline be responsible for getting me to the ship. If you don't book air through the cruiseline, you are on your own.

Barb

I strongly urge everyone to go down a day early. Cruise air can accomadate this.

On our first cruise we boarded the Sun at 4:30 for a 4:00 cruise. Lets say that there was a series of unfortunate circumstances with the airline that got us to the Fort Lauderdale airport late. We had cruise air and the NCL rep there found us transportation...but couldnt assure us the ship would be held. She also noted that she was waiting for 6 more passengers also from Wisconsin to land. We arrived to a desolate terminal and walked up to the x-ray scanners, showed our tickets and ID's and were whisked aboard ship. We barely set foot onto the ship and walkway was removed, door closed and we were underway. We had to finish the registration process onboard. We later met the 6 who didnt make it. They were ultimately flown to our first port...Grand Caymen...which was two days later due to day one being a sea day. The next problem for the 6 was that, as you may know, the seas can be too rough for tendering there, and , in fact on the day we were there, the tenders were not allowed into port due to high waves even tghough it was a glorious day on ship anchored offshore. The 6 managed to hire a local charter to take them out to the ship on what they called a white knuckled ride....if they had not I only assume they would have had to take another flight to the next port.

Suffice it to say I shudder at the thought of missing the ship on that first cruise, and we have always gone down the day before the cruise to allow for enough time to overcome problems. Its so much more relaxing and enjoyable.

If your flying in the day of your cruise, I would book through the cruise line.I was on a flight that got delayed and the ship waited for us.We boarded at 6:00 when sailing was set for 4:00.It probably helped that ours was a charter flight set up by NCL,but I sure was glad to be on it.(missing the lifeboat drill didn't hurt my feeling either:D )

Just went on a cruise with NCL air. United was 2.5 hours late and the ship sat until we got there.

Archived