Hey Celebrity People! We LOVED Royal Caribbean!

cathykins

I personally observed sweatpants and a Harley Davidson tshirt on a woman in the dining room on our Summit Cruise last September. It was an informal night and I was quite surprised that they let her in. I have had dinner with seasoned cruisers on a HAL TA crossing , where the husband wore a black tshirt and a black nylon windbreaker on formal night.

We love Celebrity but I will be very honest and say that the most formal I have seen people dress was on the Inaugral Transatlantic crossing of the Carnival Legend in 2002 . More tuxes, rhinestone tiaras even. I honestly have not seen women wearing tiaras on any other ship, and I have been on 16 cruises. So for those that think Carnival is a flip flop crowd, you are obviously sailing the wrong itinerary!!

Quite honestly many people just don't realize that what they are wearing is not correct. They don't read these boards, their TA never told them ( I have used many TA's over the years and have yet to be advosed what to wear) or dockers and a polo shirt is dressing up to them.

My husband is a house painter and he loves dressing up on cruises, but for people who wear a suit to work on Wall Street or their law firm every day I can understand the reluctance to dress up night after night.

In short we always abide by the dress code, but I would have to say that as a rule about 10-15% of passengers do not, but I don't let it spoil my fun, life is too short.

other than dining room dresscodes and smoking? Don't get me wrong...I'm all for providing guidelines for dress codes. Whether we realize it or not, dress codes are a part of our daily lives...tube tops are not allowed in my church, torn jeans are not allowed in my office, etc. I think that the dress codes on ships help to establish an ambience that most of us do not experience in our "regular" lives...it gives us a chance to step out of our sometimes ordinary lives and be someone different (even if only for a few hours). It's all part of the fantasy that a cruise embodies. If someone shows up in the dining room in clothes that do not fit the "recommendations" for the evening, does it really affect my individual experience on the ship? Not really but I admit that I would probably wish the individual had followed the dress code for the evening.

With that said, I think it's time we drop the subject (both of them), and move on to more important and exciting things...like our next cruise (mine will be on QM2 in September). This thread is starting to sound like a school playground without the shoving (at least the physical kind but there does appear to be a fair amount of verbal shoving going on).

Peace.

To the OP,

I too have sailed, both, Oct on Serenade, March on the connie,

Does someone elses attire affect the way i enjoy my meal or the company at my table on Formal Nite.... NO, Is someone going to die because someone else has chosen to not wear formal attire on formal nite ? NO, Is the world going to end because, a family of 4 who probably saved 3 years for a cruise, chose not to buy formal wear that they will probably not wear agaiin,? NO... I chose to wear elegant pantsuits on a cruise because i hate pantyhose on my vactaion, do i care if people are offended because i am not wearing a dress... NOPE

Will the good Lord above keep me out of heaven because i went less then formal on formal nite and chose to eat in the dining room??? sure hope not!

It does state " suggested " attire as formal informal or casual.. I would much rather sit next to a casually dressed person w. a good personality than a hoi paloi in a gown or tuxedo smelling like the entire perfumery ...

I have had meals ruined by the overuse of perfume/cologne but never because someone " dressed down"

Well, though I dress up for formal nights on a cruise, as does my husband,reading these posts reminds me of one of the reasons that,most week-ends during the year, I spend my spare-time totally nude at a nudist resort in the mountains of Colorado.

I too have sailed on both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean...I have enjoyed both experiences, but I did notice some differences. I think the attention to detail, level of service and small touches are better on Celebrity. Then again I've only sailed on 1 Celebrity cruise--Millennium. It was such a wonderful experince...it left me longing for more. Maybe I just got lucky! I don't know we'll find out in November when we sail on the Century!

I agree with the poster that said that all these cruiselines try differentiate themselves from others. I think it's just a matter preference and what you feel is important in a vacation. What is the ultimate goal on a cruise anyway...to get away from it all, to relax and enjoy youself. Whatever it may be, choose the line that does a better job at that.

One last thing...I'm sorry but I have to agree that the Title of the post is very rude. But hey it caught my eye, so I guess it worked! :)

Archived