Hey Celebrity People! We LOVED Royal Caribbean!

cathykins

WE LOVED THE JEWEL OF THE SEAS!!! We are also big X fans but everyone needs variety in their life. You absolutely did the right thing in order to get the other family to join you on formal night. I/we are big fans of formal nights but I think you used a novel approach to entice the other family to enjoy the cruise. I seriously doubt if any feathers were ruffled...the dining room on the JEWEL is gorgeous but it is loose enough and lively enough to accomodate a few "rebels". I seriously doubt anyone else noticed.

For the rest of you who have your noses out of joint...GET OVER IT...there are always situations on cruises that crop up that demand unorthodox solutions. I am one of the biggest proponents of formal dress on formal night but even I understand that sometimes newbie cruisers are not prepared, for one reason or another. Cathy did not say that they all showed up in their bathing attire...I am sure they looked good and had a great time and what Cathy and her husband did enhanced the good time that much more.

I can remember a time when some pax I knew did not show up in the DR for 2 nights running. I ran into them and asked them where they were taking their meals. They said that they had a problem with their table and the waiter so they were just dining in the cafe every night. I went down to the DR after lunch and caught the Maitre D' and told him about this couple and gave him their cabin number. That night they were invited to a new table and spent the rest of the cruise enjoying themselves. It was great to see them having a good time...which is what cruising is all about. We sometimes forget that other pax have problems or do not know how the game is played. Cathy and her husband came up with a solution that worked...and everyone had a great time.

Caviargal, I was not only referring to RCI - on our last cruise with Celebrity on Infinity there was a "dressing down" on formal nights from what we were used to. I don't like to see someone so casual that they stand out but honestly, after reading all the do's and do not's regarding formal dressing I found myself looking at what people were wearing instead of just enjoying the cruising experience and getting to know the people instead of their clothes! I finally had a long talk with myself and fixed that and, quite frankly, I enjoyed myself more. I didn't have to have the "beaded top and strappy shoes" or "long flowing gown" to feel properly attired and my DH did just fine with his dark suit.

As for the second part - I never met a cruise ship I did not like. I need to get busy planning another one.

I tend to "dress up" every night, however NONE of my outfits cost more than $40 , many of my dresses cost far less. One of the most dressy, all chiffon and beaded bodice, actually cost $40 in a "second hand store". Today I purchased 3 stoles, 1 Chinese brocade vest, and 2 "Resort Casual" full length dresses all will mix and match with my other clothes and the cost was $125 , for this I will have dressy outfits for another 6 nights, and absolutely no risk of being "turned away" or looking like the passenger from the wrong side of the tracks.

Wearing the "right clothes" does not mean spending $K of dollars, especially if as the post implies the wife was a stay at home Mom. who has time to hunt out bargains, incl a mans jacket, or make mix and match skirts. Of course I also book the very CHEAPEST inside cabin.

Every one should enjoy their cruise, but doing their homework BEFORE they booked and choosing the ship with the rules they liked would have given them an even better cruise.

Yes I would love to choose a "super luxury mini suite on a luxury ship" and arrive in a stretch limo but I know that is an "impossible" dream. so I do the best I can.

Wearing the "right clothes" does not mean spending $K of dollars, especially if as the post implies the wife was a stay at home Mom. who has time to hunt out bargains, incl a mans jacket, or make mix and match skirts. Of course I also book the very CHEAPEST inside cabin.

Every one should enjoy their cruise, but doing their homework BEFORE they booked and choosing the ship with the rules they liked would have given them an even better cruise.

IMO, one should do their homework before travelling anywhere, cruises included. When in Europe or Asia, dress should be considered to respect their culture. It is just tacky to wear clothes that do not take your environment into consideration.

On cruises, it is also a matter of respect to dress in the way the cruise line has requested as a matter of respect to the ship and the other passengers.

I have seen many people denied entry to the churches in Italy over the course of my many visits there and have heard some of those people complain loudly that they are on VACATION and will dress as they please. Sound familiar? The good news is that they are ignored and told to leave.

I personally would be very pleased if ships did the same.

I tend to "dress up" every night, however NONE of my outfits cost more than $40 , many of my dresses cost far less. One of the most dressy, all chiffon and beaded bodice, actually cost $40 in a "second hand store". Today I purchased 3 stoles, 1 Chinese brocade vest, and 2 "Resort Casual" full length dresses all will mix and match with my other clothes and the cost was $125 , for this I will have dressy outfits for another 6 nights, and absolutely no risk of being "turned away" or looking like the passenger from the wrong side of the tracks.

Yes I would love to choose a "super luxury mini suite on a luxury ship" and arrive in a stretch limo but I know that is an "impossible" dream. so I do the best I can.

You have to remember that you are only one person that you have to buy for. YOU might shop at thrift shops but some people like me wouldn't think of wearing someone elses clothing. I wouldn't care how many times they washed them, have you not smelled those stores?

The comment about the wrong side of the tracks was uncalled for! Unless you were there to see how they were dressed then you should not comment. Was it really so bad that for one night someone with a kind heart asked them to attend formal night without a jacket? Were they asked to leave? NO.There are cruiselines out there that still give you that old time traditional cruise experience. My suggestion is to cruise them.

As to Kathy: I also applaud you. Now that's what cruising is all about.

You have to remember that you are only one person that you have to buy for. YOU might shop at thrift shops but some people like me wouldn't think of wearing someone elses clothing. I wouldn't care how many times they washed them, have you not smelled those stores?

The comment about the wrong side of the tracks was uncalled for! Unless you were there to see how they were dressed then you should not comment. Was it really so bad that for one night someone with a kind heart asked them to attend formal night without a jacket? Were they asked to leave? NO.There are cruiselines out there that still give you that old time traditional cruise experience. My suggestion is to cruise them.

As to Kathy: I also applaud you. Now that's what cruising is all about.

I applaud Kathy, but I find your attitude snobby and appalling. Some people like you should learn that it's better to say nothing than to open your mouth and reveal your rudeness for all to see. Have "some people like you" ever been to a consignment shop? There are plenty of wonderful, high end clothes that (oh! my! stars!) other people have worn before. :rolleyes: You're doing exactly what you are accusing the last poster of doing.

I shop retail, but I love shopping consignment, and thrift stores, and have found some wonderful finds--cashmere sweaters, formals, lovely designer handbags. As for thrift shops, they can range from the Value Village to the Junior League shop (where you can get some lovely duds...and they don't smell, either).

You can look down on "people like me," but at least I can save money and spend it on things that matter, unlike "people like you." Doesn't feel good to have a hasty generalization tossed back at you, does it?

Oh, and you remember that lovely black and white number Julia Roberts got her Oscar in? It was vintage. Valentino, I believe. As in "someone wore it before." :rolleyes:

I applaud Kathy, but I find your attitude snobby and appalling. Some people like you should learn that it's better to say nothing than to open your mouth and reveal your rudeness for all to see. Have "some people like you" ever been to a consignment shop? There are plenty of wonderful, high end clothes that (oh! my! stars!) other people have worn before. :rolleyes: You're doing exactly what you are accusing the last poster of doing.

I shop retail, but I love shopping consignment, and thrift stores, and have found some wonderful finds--cashmere sweaters, formals, lovely designer handbags. As for thrift shops, they can range from the Value Village to the Junior League shop (where you can get some lovely duds...and they don't smell, either).

You can look down on "people like me," but at least I can save money and spend it on things that matter, unlike "people like you." Doesn't feel good to have a hasty generalization tossed back at you, does it?

Oh, and you remember that lovely black and white number Julia Roberts got her Oscar in? It was vintage. Valentino, I believe. As in "someone wore it before." :rolleyes:

Snob? Not hardly.

Has it ever occured to you that not everyone likes to shop at a thrift shop?

What part of speaking for myself didn't you understand?:rolleyes:

I don't recall putting anyone down for shopping there. Those are YOUR words.

As far as the Julia Roberts dress..........sorry not a good comparison.

Nice try though.:D

Paisano,

Count me as someone who would never go to a secondhand shop.

Maybe its how I was brought up... which by the way was not moneyed buy any stretch... I'd rather have very little than wear somebody else's clothes..

Just my 2 cents

Snob? Not hardly.

Has it ever occured to you that not everyone likes to shop at a thrift shop?

What part of speaking for myself didn't you understand?:rolleyes:

I don't recall putting anyone down for shopping there. Those are YOUR words.

As far as the Julia Roberts dress..........sorry not a good comparison.

Nice try though.:D

I suggest you read your own post. "People like me" implies superiority over others. It doesn't take an English major to figure that out. You could have simply said that you don't like to shop in thrift shops. Look at luckye's post for a hint.

Thanks for proving my point about making hasty generalizations--not all thrift shops are smelly dumps. Hence the Junior League shop, for instance.

And my point was that you said that wouldn't think about "wearing someone else's clothing." So how is that different from wearing a vintage Valentino (which someone else wore!) Julia Roberts did, and fabulously, I might add.

Being allowed in did NOT mean they met the dress code. It means that RCI chose to look the other way, as they so often do. They simply do not want to lose money by making a passenger angry so they ignore the attire and let the offender into the dining room.

It is quite amazing to me to read about some of the outfits that are allowed these days on the formal dining rooms of RCI: an unbuttoned leather vest on a man with no shirt underneath, shorts and tanks, ball caps. Really, are there that many people with simply no class?

I personally find it appalling and a huge step down for RCI based on what I enjoyed in past years when they enforced their own policies (and the dress code is just one). Cruising is no longer a special experience on most lines, IME and IMHO, and RCI is sacrificing clients like me in pursuit of being lax in their enforcement of onboard policies.

Oh boy does that smell bad!!!

This post is getting way off topic. I am glad the original poster enjoyed her RCL trip on the Jewel. For the same reason I tried them last year but did not have a pleasant experience. The ship had a lot of potential but it was not kept clean in public areas and the staff spent more time gawking at bikini's then they did doing their jobs.

As for dress code and generosity of the original poster this is like beating a dead horse. The bottom line is what starts out as a missing jacket then becomes a polo shirt and just keeps escalating until we are in flip flops and tank tops. There are many other rules that are being broken on the ships and there is no level of common courtesy. During the shows on my recent cruise flash photography and video taping were rampant and distracting. This is simply stated that it is not allowed but hey what are a few photos for the album at home. The list is endless because some people don't think the "rules" apply to them.

My 12 year old got dressed for dinner and halfway to the dining room I realized she still had her sneakers on. It was a casual night and her slacks and top were appropriate but sneakers are not acceptable. Could she have gotten away with it - no doubt - should she NO WAY! I guess it is a matter of upbringing. :D

As for dress code and generosity of the original poster this is like beating a dead horse. The bottom line is what starts out as a missing jacket then becomes a polo shirt and just keeps escalating until we are in flip flops and tank tops. There are many other rules that are being broken on the ships and there is no level of common courtesy. During the shows on my recent cruise flash photography and video taping were rampant and distracting. This is simply stated that it is not allowed but hey what are a few photos for the album at home. The list is endless because some people don't think the "rules" apply to them.

My 12 year old got dressed for dinner and halfway to the dining room I realized she still had her sneakers on. It was a casual night and her slacks and top were appropriate but sneakers are not acceptable. Could she have gotten away with it - no doubt - should she NO WAY! I guess it is a matter of upbringing. :D

Hear, hear! Good post. Particularly about the flash photography during the shows. This is extremely dangerous and distracting for the performers, particularly dancers. Don't people realize that someone could get hurt or killed just because they wanted a picture?

I'm not particularly opposed to dress codes onboard, nor am I especially fond of them. I do believe 'good taste' is in order during the evening meal, but the tux stuff seems a bit old fashioned and pretentious. I mean, let's face it, dinner on a cruise ship isn't exactly the equivalent of attending a 'State Dinner'....

I suspect that many of those who are so adamant that formal nights be enforced are the same people who spend a fortune on designer clothing for themselves and their grandchildren. The sad truth is, it is the man that makes the clothes, not the clothes that make the man.

I'm reminded of when my daughter, who is now a physician, was in middle school. One of the 3 middle schools in our city was considered to be the 'elite school' and students would routinely communicate dress codes for the coming day...."All must wear a Polo shirt and a $100 pair of jeans on Wednesday" or the girls all had to have the proper designer purse, etc. What made it funny was that, in reality, student population of the school where this occured was actually made up kids from two-income families who were struggling to keep up. Across town where my daughter attended, along with most of the doctors and business owners kids, there were no such 'dress codes', even though those kids were from the wealthier families.

I generally comply with the recommended dress code, although I no longer bother with a tux. Having spent several years 'dressing up' for work and gala dinner meetings before starting my own business, I just no longer find it necessary to 'put on a show'. For those who do.....More power to you!

Oh boy! I do not care if I get flamed on this one! I believe it was stated "the best they had" as far as clothing. Far as I am concerned, if that is the best, then that is fine. I do not believe it was stated that their best was flip flops and jeans! I have only seen one time where someone was turned away from the dining room for dress that was unacceptable. This was a bathing suit with no cover up on an ample, teenaged, young lady. For me, I think the doors should be shut the required 15 minutes after the appointed dinner hour. The servers have enough to do without dealing with passengers who cannot come to dinner on time! As for the statement that "X" is better, it has been on this board many times! They are comparable and they both offer many great amenities! Jimsgirl, I am with you! We can do much better, but we choose quantity over balcony, Walmart over Nordstrom's! I do not care what someone is wearing as long as I enjoy their company!

:D

Thanks Eleris for you thoughtful post. I could not agree with you more.

If someone is tastefully attired, does it really matter whether or not they have on a tux or even a dark suit?

If someone is not dressed according to the requested dress code, then no matter what they are wearing, they are NOT "tastefully attired". Good taste implicity requires a respect for the "host" and the host's requests. Anything less is either rudeness or selfishness.

I live in CA where some folks actually spend 1500.00 or more for a pair of jeans...you can be walking down the street in Beverly Hills and see someone who literally looks like a bag person but believe me, they just spent thousands on that "outfit" and others who spend 20.00 at Goodwill and look like a million bucks...It's really all in the mind of the beholder...

I've never sailed Celebrity but have sailed on Cunard, which has its share of elitists, snobs, and dresscode police. I read the original post and must say that I was touched by it. Imagine someone who wants to treat their family to a nice vacation but stays away from the dining room because they don't have "the right clothes." Tell me these people came on the cruise with nothing but their PJs and bathing suits, and you'd get sympathy from me. However, there is nothing in the OP that states this family was "inappropriately" dressed. They worked just as hard for their money as anyone else on board. While hubby and I enjoy the "dress up" nights, I can certainly understand if a man doesn't want to go out and buy a dark suit or tux, or if a woman doesn't want to go out and buy a "fancy" dress. Give me someone who's fun to be with and doesn't make a fool out of themselves over a drunk in a tux anyday. I can't believe how people on these boards go on and on about dress codes. I'm all for following a general rule (no bathing suites in the dining room, for example or stating that men must wear jacket and tie). That's fair and reasonable. What's not fair or reasonable is having others judge you based on how a person is dressed (or not dressed). "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Any takers?

The differences between many posters commenting in favor of a dress code in the strict sense and those who accept some rule breaking (lets face it, noone is defending bathingsuits and flipflops - we are generally talking about 'smart casual' on 'formal' nights) seems to come down to enforcement.

As one who firmly stands in the camp of properly dressing for formal night according to the recommended or required attire for the evening - I do not feel the need to act as police, enforcer, and whistle-blower. This is mainly because I just don't let something like another person's wardrobe choice bother me so much as to make me feel the need to take on that job.

While it may be disappointing to see sloppier and sloppier dress allowed into dining rooms which once professed to have a dress code, it isn't my facility. It is up to the owners and operators of that facility to enforce rules. If they elect not to, that is their right. I will still follow the recommended dress because I enjoy it, and it enriches my experience. If they do not enforce it, I will still abide by it. If they stop posting recommended attire, then I will just dress smart casual.

We all break rules - we just accept it if we get caught. If enforcement of those rules is lax, we get away with it. Sometimes the enforcer lets us slide. But it is ultimately that enforcer's job to enforce rules. Do you speed (even just a little bit, or every once in a while)? Change lanes without a signal? Go in through an out door despite the sign not to? I'll bet everyone has done one of these things, and doesn't think any less of themselves. The same argument could be applied - "where will it stop?" Let someone get away with speeding 5MPH over, and next thing you know everyone is going 100MPH! Let someone come in through an out door, and next thing you know there's a stampede coming the other way and you can't even get out!

We have simple societal controls built in which prevent these things from getting out of hand...because we aren't dealing with a majority of people feeling oppressed by unjustified rules and laws just brimming to break free in a revolt of epic proportions ("let them wear t-shirts and flipflops on formal night!" cried the teeming riotous masses). We are dealing with the occasional, rare stretching of a rule which is often but a recommendation to begin with - and usually the degree of rule breakage and circumstances are taken into consideration. Flip flops and bathingsuits are never acceptable, will likely be turned down on a formal night on most ships, and would be generally disruptive to a room full of formally dressed people. But a family, nicely dressed, dark clothes and conservative, however sand jackets or ties, especially when acting on encouragement from fellow passengers who felt compassion for them, will usually be accepted and will likely be noticed only by those in their immediate vicinity, stirring a minimal disruption.

Archived