Hey Celebrity People! We LOVED Royal Caribbean!

cathykins

The differences between many posters commenting in favor of a dress code in the strict sense and those who accept some rule breaking (lets face it, noone is defending bathingsuits and flipflops - we are generally talking about 'smart casual' on 'formal' nights) seems to come down to enforcement.

As one who firmly stands in the camp of properly dressing for formal night according to the recommended or required attire for the evening - I do not feel the need to act as police, enforcer, and whistle-blower. This is mainly because I just don't let something like another person's wardrobe choice bother me so much as to make me feel the need to take on that job.

While it may be disappointing to see sloppier and sloppier dress allowed into dining rooms which once professed to have a dress code, it isn't my facility. It is up to the owners and operators of that facility to enforce rules. If they elect not to, that is their right. I will still follow the recommended dress because I enjoy it, and it enriches my experience. If they do not enforce it, I will still abide by it. If they stop posting recommended attire, then I will just dress smart casual.

We all break rules - we just accept it if we get caught. If enforcement of those rules is lax, we get away with it. Sometimes the enforcer lets us slide. But it is ultimately that enforcer's job to enforce rules. Do you speed (even just a little bit, or every once in a while)? Change lanes without a signal? Go in through an out door despite the sign not to? I'll bet everyone has done one of these things, and doesn't think any less of themselves. The same argument could be applied - "where will it stop?" Let someone get away with speeding 5MPH over, and next thing you know everyone is going 100MPH! Let someone come in through an out door, and next thing you know there's a stampede coming the other way and you can't even get out!

We have simple societal controls built in which prevent these things from getting out of hand...because we aren't dealing with a majority of people feeling oppressed by unjustified rules and laws just brimming to break free in a revolt of epic proportions ("let them wear t-shirts and flipflops on formal night!" cried the teeming riotous masses). We are dealing with the occasional, rare stretching of a rule which is often but a recommendation to begin with - and usually the degree of rule breakage and circumstances are taken into consideration. Flip flops and bathingsuits are never acceptable, will likely be turned down on a formal night on most ships, and would be generally disruptive to a room full of formally dressed people. But a family, nicely dressed, dark clothes and conservative, however sand jackets or ties, especially when acting on encouragement from fellow passengers who felt compassion for them, will usually be accepted and will likely be noticed only by those in their immediate vicinity, stirring a minimal disruption.

With the hundreds of posts on this subject over the last couple of years, I think that yours probably is the most astute and clearheaded of any of them.

Thank you. Gracias. Obrigado. Merci. Grazie.

We will be cruising X for the first time this May, and from what I have been reading on these boards, there are a lot of X cruisers that I don't think I would care to cruise with. What snobs! Cathy, we would love to cruise with you and your husband someday. I hope that while we are on the Mercury we will meet many people like you, and the others on this board that love to cruise and make new friends and don't care if my clothes are not up to their standard.

This post is getting way off topic. I am glad the original poster enjoyed her RCL trip on the Jewel. For the same reason I tried them last year but did not have a pleasant experience. The ship had a lot of potential but it was not kept clean in public areas and the staff spent more time gawking at bikini's then they did doing their jobs.

As for dress code and generosity of the original poster this is like beating a dead horse. The bottom line is what starts out as a missing jacket then becomes a polo shirt and just keeps escalating until we are in flip flops and tank tops. There are many other rules that are being broken on the ships and there is no level of common courtesy. During the shows on my recent cruise flash photography and video taping were rampant and distracting. This is simply stated that it is not allowed but hey what are a few photos for the album at home. The list is endless because some people don't think the "rules" apply to them.

My 12 year old got dressed for dinner and halfway to the dining room I realized she still had her sneakers on. It was a casual night and her slacks and top were appropriate but sneakers are not acceptable. Could she have gotten away with it - no doubt - should she NO WAY! I guess it is a matter of upbringing. :D

nO KIDDING.

Hey Celebrity People! We LOVED Royal Caribbean!

Cathy

We all have opinions about the quality of other cruise lines and the people who post on the Celebrity site are more than likely to prefer the Celebrity Treatment. At the same time many of the cruisers at this site also cruise on other lines and realize that other experiences might be different without being better. I am a bit mystified by the exclamation points. So my question would be whether you "LOVED" RCL and no longer love Celebrity or whether one product is inferior to the other? Or are you saying that Celebrity People! are a different breed.. not fellow posters or friends whom you travel with but Hey People!

I find the whole post condescending as a result of the !!

you paid for the lobster, you should enjoy it with us
This attitude has often been discussed. Lobster night is the highlight of the cruise for many. It is a special treat and the cruiselines often put it on as a formal occasion because it is a special occasion. It astounds me how you now pat yourself on the back for telling the cruiseline and fellow cruisers that the cruiseline has it wrong but you have it right.

Anyways thanks for telling me that I can really look forward to my RCL experience on Voyager next week. I hope passengers there will not be too upset if I wear my tux.

WONDERFUL POST! I have said many times (and taken a lot of heat) that Celebrity gets a little overrated on these boards. Yes, we had a great cruise on X, but not any better than RCCL, Carnival, Princess or HAL.

While I would agree that the newer ships of all the cruise lines are very comparable and that we too have had enjoyable cruises on many different cruise lines I would disagree that there are no significant differences between Celebrity, RCCL, Carnival and HAL. Each of them deliberately sets out to differentiate themselves in their style of service and the environment on the ship. So to an individual a particular cruise may indeed be "better" in their view than another. For example I find the service on Celebrity to definitely be superior to the others mentioned, and the staff are also better dressed. Our last cruise on Carnival Glory suffered what seemed to be an unhappy crew. No smiles, unwillingness to go find new supplies on the buffet to replace those that had run out, and a buffet that was at dinner not up the standard of many cafeterias in the choice it offered. Now before you say this isn't typical we have been on two previous Carnival cruises that were excellent, so I agree that inevitably one bad experience shouldn't taint the whole cruise line. However I do dislike Carnival's intrusive announcements that seem to be on all the ships we have been on, whereas the peace and quiet on Celebrity is most enjoyable. It is the little things like this that result in developing personal preferences for one line above another, and in my view as a result I feel that for us Celebrity IS better than Carnival. However I accept that is my view and others will have different preferences. That is the benefit of the wide choice we have of who to cruise with. We have deliberately cruised with quite a few cruise lines in order to experience the differences and have enjoyed them all but now we know which are best for us.

On our first cruise we spent a small fortune on clothes so that we were dressed appropriatley. I went our and bought a gown and also bought some beuatiful clothes for my then 9 yr old daughter that she ended up only wearing once and we ultimately gave to friends. As we have continued cruising I still dress but not as fancy as we are not 'fancy' people. We enjoy looking nice and going out but this is a vacation where we want to unwind and be comfortable. Case in point- my niece got married earlier this month to a guy who comes from a small town where everyone pretty much wears jeans. Anyway, members of the grooms family came in wearing jeans, flannel shirts and hooded sweatshirts. At first we were stunned and then we realized at the end of the night, they were more comfortable then the rest of us. They dressed like that because that's all they know, not to be obnoxious. At the end of the day, this is a small problem in the grand scheme of things on life. There are so many more important things in life to worry about.

Anyway, members of the grooms family came in wearing jeans, flannel shirts and hooded sweatshirts. At first we were stunned and then we realized at the end of the night, they were more comfortable then the rest of us. They dressed like that because that's all they know, not to be obnoxious.

Ignorance is bliss... being on a cruise ship is just like slumming at home???

Nothing is as important as being comfortable in the grand scheme of things..

When in Rome .. do as the Romans do... But the barbarians changed that attitude:rolleyes:

Anyway, members of the grooms family came in wearing jeans, flannel shirts and hooded sweatshirts. At first we were stunned and then we realized at the end of the night, they were more comfortable then the rest of us. .

So, since baggy cargo shorts barely covering their butts, and wife-beater shirts and a backwards baseball cap would have been even more comfortable at the wedding, that would have made you admire them even more?:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:

So' date=' since baggy cargo shorts barely covering their butts, have been even more comfortable , that would have made you admire them even more?:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes:[/quote']

I wonder what the comfort level is on the topless sunbathing deck;).

What is appropriate in some locations is not appropriate at others... despite the comfort level:rolleyes:

it's a cruise. you're not dining with the queen. we always look appropriate for the event. i think some of you took this one too far.

I'm probably guilty..

There are two issues here:

I don't like to be addressed as Hey you! or Hey People!

And dress code issues always makes me feel like I'm on a slippery slope..

it is part of The Law of Unintentional Consequences.. whatever one does has a ripple effect not related to the original intention of our actions

No good deed goes unpunished. Life is so unfair that one is more likely to get into some sort of trouble than be rewarded if one attempts to do a good deed. It was attributed to American financier John P. Grier, banker Andrew W. Mellon, and writer Clare Boothe Luce, but its ultimate origin is unknown. Listed in the sixteenth edition [1992] of Bartlett's _Familiar Quotations_, edited by Justin Kaplan.

I'm leaving now for my cruise on Voyager and perhaps, if all goes well, I too will be shouting at fellow posters.

Very well said, in my opinion. I agree with you, totally, even if I don't have to wear a "penguin suit". ;)

It doesn't sound as if this were a case of flagrant disregard for the rules. I've seen that, and it isn't pretty. Jean

That said, my experience in the dining room isn't ruined because one or two people somewhere didn't follow the rules to the letter. What I appreciate is an effort to comply, within one's means. If that means an individual is wearing a sport coat and tie with mismatched pants instead of a custom-tailored Italian suit...that's OK. And if a person decides they either can't or won't comply and arrives sans jacket - I leave it up to the dining staff to decide if that is acceptable. It isn't my dining room. If they decide to admit a person not wearing a jacket, then it's OK by me too. If they turn that person away, so be it.

Moreover, I think Cathy and her husband exercised their judgement and exhibited human compassion in a special circumstance that is commendable. For those belittling the scenario, you may have never lived in the shoes of someone struggling to get by on lower income. Why could a person afford a cruise, but maybe not afford new clothes and other expenses? Because of the difference between spending $3,400 for a family cruise, or 10% of their family annual income, and spending another $1,500 on formal clothing for 4 family members, which might come to another 5% of their annual income.

As for following the rules - remember that this family DID comply with the dress code - they skipped the formal night, and were planning on doing it again. These were not rude people just deciding to stroll into the dining room in jeans and flip-flops on formal night just to send a message. But a very compassionate couple at their table asked them to consider attending the next formal night in the best clothes they had. And to make that family comfortable, they made a decision to flaunt the rule for a special exception, and with a noble purpose. While I don't think rules were meant to be broken, I do feel that there can be an outstanding exception to every rule, and in those rare scenarios a person breaking the rules can be doing something good. And I have no problem with occasionally looking the other way and letting them escape punishment for their tresspasses.

Had they been turned down at the door, cest la vie...that's the risk they took and it didn't work. I would expect them to accept that graciously and eat elsewhere. But if they are admitted, I'll break bread with them and enjoy my meal in my penguin suit just as much!

If the original poster had decided to join the family with limited means at alternate dining that would have shown a lot more commitment to the newly found friendship and enjoyment of their company as the priority over dining room policy. Instead the original poster decided to adjust their dress code against the politely requested dining room policy to prove their point and make a stand against the cruiseline and anyone in the dining room. I see no bravery in making such a stand just attitude. I guess you showed everyone onboard that night.

Good taste implicity requires a respect for the "host" and the host's requests. Anything less is either rudeness or selfishness.

So does that also apply to the 'host's' request that passengers not bring their own liquor onboard? Or...Is it OK for you to pick and choose which rules you abide by?

Truth is, this dress code stuff is really a silly argument. If a couple appear on formal night with the man wearing a light blue suit and the woman in pink dress, just how is that going to disrupt anyone else's evening? I'm much more concerned about a person's attitude and manner than about what they are wearing (within reason).

Sure, if someone attempts to wear a pair of shorts and a T-shirt to dinner, they should be asked to leave and change....But not for wearing cargo pants and a 'polo-style' shirt on casual nights.

Wonderful post from the OP, I hope someday we are tablemates!:)

On our '05 cruise to Bermuda it seemed the dresscode on Zenith was more lax than what is normally on a Celebrity cruise--at least from reading these boards. They even converted one of the informal nights to casual.

4 of my tablemates were from another culture and had never cruised, and were unaware of a "dresscode". They were great conversationalists, humorous and just fun people to have at your table for dinner. They came to dinner always nicely dressed country club casual. They missed the first formal night and we mentioned to them the next night that we had missed them. They explained that they were unaware that there were "formal" nights on the cruise and had not packed appropriate attire and so ate in casual dining. By the time the second formal night was rolling around, we tried to convince them to join us. Thankfully they did. Dinner was much more enjoyable to us with him in a nice pair of pants and casual shirt and her in whatever sundress/ or skirt/pants she was wearing, than just the other 4 of us. (btw sitting down, all you see is there faces anyway--:p )

Karen

So does that also apply to the 'host's' request that passengers not bring their own liquor onboard? Or...Is it OK for you to pick and choose which rules you abide by?

Sure, if someone attempts to wear a pair of shorts and a T-shirt to dinner, they should be asked to leave and change....But not for wearing cargo pants and a 'polo-style' shirt on casual nights.

No, if a cruise line asks that no liquor be brought aboard, that should be respected. I do bring my own wine, and happily pay a corkage fee. I also only bring wines that I know that I know will not be sold aboard.

The problem is that, in an effort to not offend any passengers, virtually no rules are being enforced. This results in too many compromises on the part of the cruise line and also the passengers who have an expectation of a particular experience.

I have not read through all of the posts to this thread, but I do have some thoughts. While I admire your compassion to make these people feel better about formal nights that you adjusted your apparel out of respect for them, It troubles me that there is a disregard for your fellow passengers [many more than the family in question] who do feel that formal wear is required and they expect to have others follow the same guidelines. This of course is a throwback to how it has been done for many, many years.

It troubles me that there is a disregard for your fellow passengers [many more than the family in question] who do feel that formal wear is required and they expect to have others follow the same guidelines. .

Jeano222, you are a wise, classy and intelligent person!:)

I thank Cathy for her original posting. I am considering cruising with RCCL in 2008 and look forward to reading everyone's opinion of their cruise experiences, whether it be on X or RCCL.

I see that people have again strayed into the never ending commentary on this site about dining room attire. I don't think I've been on any other site that is so obsessed about this. RELAX people!! I would hate to think that you go around your entire cruise looking at what other people are wearing and turning your noses up at them. I know some of you do, I've seen you do it. I've seen passengers screw up their faces, make inappropriate comments about other passengers, who at 7:30 p.m. were walking around the ship in their shorts and t's. Too bad they didn't have the faintest idea where these other passengers are coming from or going to.

I do, however, think that travel agents should be advising their clients, especially those who have never sailed on Celebrity before, of the attire expected if they are going to dine in the dining room so they are not made to feel embarrassed when they get on the ship.

Even though you and I are at opposite ends of this debate I had to feel for you....

Thanks, LOL. I'm going on my first Carnival trip with a group in October. I may come back from that arguing for thongs and speedos on formal nights. Who knows? :eek:

Give me someone who's fun to be with and doesn't make a fool out of themselves over a drunk in a tux anyday.

Thank you! Although I do agree that people should make an effort when it comes to dresscode, I am so amazed by what people do and do not get upset about. There is also so much talk on these boards about the behavior of children (some of it is right on the money and some is petty) when it is the ADULTS who are often the most ill behaved. I have been on cruises (Celebrity and Holland America) where people (old enough to know better) were drunk beyond reason, ate their way through the buffet lines, farted in elevators, cursed, smoked in no smoking areas, whined and complained, yelled in the hallway in the middle of the night, talked down to the crew... I'll glady dine with the family the OP met or a tired toddler any day over some of the impeccably dressed tables mates I have had in the past.

Archived