NCL Star review 4/10 to 4/18

judyf

Sorry to sound like we didn't have a great time because we did. I just wish the ship had did its part a little better. Luckily, me and my husband are pretty friendly outgoing type people and can meet other people easily and have fun and laughs with. Which we did.

I forgot to mention that embarkation was the best we've ever had (latitudes line). It took a total of about 25 minutes. But, debarkation was the worst we ever had. We were called at 10:30, but didn't get off until almost 12:00.

Hey Debbie, remember that young guy Alyssa met on the ship (Jeff). He is from CA. He has called her every night since being home. He phoned her 2 nights ago and said he was on the road driving to visit her for the KY Derby. She was surprised, but happy that he is coming. He should be arriving sometime today. Thats a very long drive!

For anyone interested, I think my daughter and Jeff were the only "single" 20ish people on this cruise.

Tami,

Now I know how to spell Alyssa name. LOL Glad to hear she met someone her age on the ship. She must have made an impression on him if he's driving from CA to KY.

Friday 4/14/06-Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo

Our port time today was 7am to last tender was 1:30pm, short time in a port especially after a 12 midnight port day the day before. I wish it was a little later in the day and we could have stayed longer at the beach. For a cruise the times are what all the cruise lines do, arrive early and leave early. It's a cruise thing.

We were up and ready early and went down to get tender tickets as they call you by number for a tender. As soon as we got our tickets and we were headed to the buffet to grab a little breakfast we hear an announcement saying for the next 15 minutes from 7:45 to 8am anyone can get on a tender without a ticket. We decided to skip breakfast and head for a tender. We get right on and we are off.

I had been e-mailing a lady from the US that's living in Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo. She was great I told her what we wanted to do and the time we had in port and she gave me great ideas and money saving tips. I took her advise and we had a great day. Gotten love all the message boards they are the best form of information no matter what kind of vacation you're on.

We went to La Ropa Beach on the other side of the bay. She told me to walk to the basketball court a block or so away from where we got off the tender and get a cab to Villas Mexicanna. It was great!!! The cab cost us $3.00 to get there and we tipped good. I think we made a mistake here more on that when we go back to the ship. We passed the fishing village/market area on the way to the BB court. There were venders selling things along the way. We looked a little as we walked by, it was early and no one was there. It was so hot, I couldn't wait to get to the water. We find the area with the cabs and I tell him Villas Mexicanna and we're off. It was a longer ride then I thought it would be. It was nice, we got to see a lot of the locals as we went there. It took maybe 15 minutes I think. I can't remember for sure.

We walk through to the beach area and there's a restaurant right there that had great reviews on the Ixtapa message board. It was Dona Prudencia and it was good. A tourist that wasn't staying at that villa was leaving as we were coming and she told us it was the best in the area, she goes there almost every day.

After breakfast we head out to find a massage. As you walk out of the lobby area of the Villas Mexicanna the restaurant is a little to your right and then if you go to your left there's an area not far at all where they have the massage tables set up. We got two lounge chairs near the massage tables one in the sun for me and another in the shade for my mother.

My mother has never had a massage and was ready to back out I talked her into it and she was so happy I did. We were the first customers, and it's a good thing too. We got a massage that was over an hour long for $20.00. This was better then any massage I've ever had including the one I had on the CCL Fantasy my first cruise. This was the one and only time I had a massage on a ship. I didn't enjoy it due to the high pressure they give you to buy their products while you're getting the massage, just not relaxing. I go to our local spas 2-3 times per year. I've tried 3 different ones in our area and must say this was the best one I've ever had and for only $20.00. We gave them a really good tip.

After the massage I talk my mother into getting her first pedicure it was only $15.00. She had to wait about 30 minutes due to we didn't book it at the same time as the massage. When we were done there was a couple there that was staying there and they told us this was their 5th time there this week.

As my mother was getting her pedicure I go and play in the water. It was nice there lots of locals and not all that many tourists. There were a few but many more locals. I got a banana boat ride for $5.00, in Cabo they wanted $10.00 I had to wait a few minutes due to there had to be more then one going. The guy went to a family that was near by and most likely they were waiting for a larger group too and I joined them. It was 5 of us I think and there was still room for 2-3 more. It was so much fun. We went way out close to the ship, I couldn't understand what the family was saying exactly but I could tell they were impressed with the ship. We saw flying fish jumping in the water. Then we went way out to the other end of the bay. It was my first time and I would love to do it again.

My mother is still getting her toes done, I relax in the sun a little working on the vacation tan, which I never really got this cruise. Everybody at work is joking with me about where's my tan. I tell them I must of left it in Mexico and I got to go back to get it!

Unfortunately it's time to get closer to the tenders. We go to get a cab, they call them for us at the front desk but there were two right out front. We get in the cab and the driver tells us $10.00. We question the price cause we only paid $3.00 to get there. We knew it would be a little more due to going back to the pier instead of the BB court. He tells us $10.00, $5.00 per person. I think it should have been $3.00 pp going and the way he told us we thought it was for the two of us. Good thing we tipped good! He never said a word. Must likely he thought we didn't tip good. LOL

We get dropped off right across the street from the tenders we have a little time so we look around the shops right there and get a shot glass and some T-shirts and the best margarita I ever had for I think it was only $2.00 or something close to that. I can't remember the name of the place and for some reason I didn't take a picture but if you walk off the tender and go straight instead of a left or right on the road you will walk right into the place.

We go to get in the long tender line that went very quick and I see to our right someone has a big fish, they caught fishing so of course I go to take a picture of it.

We had a wonderful day in Zihuatanejo. This is one location I would go back too. One of the things I like about cruising is I get to check out all the different locations for a short day to see if we would like to go there and use our timeshare week. This is a definitely yes. We never made it to Ixtapa but would like to if we return. I'm including a great site I found with good info in case anyone is interested.

http://www.zihua.net/

Now we're back on the ship, We have no ressies for tonight, which I love it that way. I get ready to go up on deck by Bier Garten and the hot tub, my mother is tired and decided to take a nap. I stay up there till the sunset at 7:45 and watched it from in the hot tub, it's the first sunset I got to see from the ship. We're always busy or eating and miss it.

I go back to the cabin and we get reedy for dinner and this is the day I realized something was different with the menus, I thought maybe I just messed up. Today's menu was the Italian menu and I thought I made ressies for La Tracttoria for this menu. We go and check with the ressie desk and they tell me it's booked. No problem my favorite foods are Italian & Mexican. As we are walking around going to dinner we pass La Tracttoria and I tell my mother let me check sometimes they can fit you in at the restaurant even when you can't get ressies. They fit us in, It was good and I think this was the meal I enjoyed the most.

We get done in just enough time for the 9:30 show. Again we asked the waiter if we could rush to make it and he has our dessert to us in less then 5 minutes. They were great the service and food. We have ressie here for Cabo day, I was excited about coming back.

Tonight's show was Fame and we both enjoyed the show. We liked all the shows. Then it's the 50's and 60's sockhop tonight at 10:45 with Freedom. The band is good we enjoy them but started to notice they plan the same songs every night. They were good so not a problem just something we noticed. The magic time of 12:00 midnight when the Spinnaker lounge goes dark. They were done and the dance floor was full of people. I yell out one more song and others started to also and they did stay and played 2 more songs. There's was hardly room on the dance floor. No Simon tonight either, Shawn was there, he is pretty good. We went to Carousel tonight for a while but just not my thing so we leave after about a half hour.

Another great day.

Didn't get it done quick enough to put in same post. LOL

Here's the link to all the general pictures of the Star including our meet & greet.

http://community.webshots.com/album/549886755AXkYKy

Now all I have to do is Puerto Vallarta and Cabo.

Hey judy I love your pics..

can you email me and tell me again how to get to La Ropa,, i think that looks like a nice place to go , since we arent in Ixtapa too long...

thanks....

melissa

Not first cruise, but first with NCL and to Alaska on the Star.

Just wondering if the Venetian mentioned for lunch after boarding is one of the main dining room or is it a pay extra special dining resturant.

Also which deck is it on and how did you handle getting in if they tried to direct you away to the buffet area?

Also does anyone know if the Blue Lagoon Resturant is open on boarding day as well for lunch.

Thanks,

Marcy

Here's a list of the Star's restaurants:

Versailles Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Continental

Surcharge: No

Reservations Required: No

Aqua Main Restaurant (Main Dining Room)

Cuisine: Light Modern Continental

The Soho Room

Cuisine: California, Hawaiian, Asian

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Reservations Required: Yes

Ginza Restaurant

Cuisine: Asian (Sushi, Sashimi, Teppanyaki)

Surcharge: Yes, $12.50 per person

Le Bistro French Restaurant

Cuisine: French

Surcharge: Yes, $15 per person

Cagney's Steakhouse

Cuisine: Steak

Surcharge: Yes, $20 per person

Salsa

Cuisine: Mexican, Tex-Mex Tapas Bar

Market Café/Kids' Cafe

Cuisine: Assorted Buffet, Food Stations, Kid-Sized Buffet

La Trattoria

Cuisine: Casual Italian

Blue Lagoon

Cuisine: Food Court, Grill

The Venetian is on the Norwegian Dawn!

Not first cruise, but first with NCL and to Alaska on the Star.

Just wondering if the Venetian mentioned for lunch after boarding is one of the main dining room or is it a pay extra special dining resturant.

Also which deck is it on and how did you handle getting in if they tried to direct you away to the buffet area?

Also does anyone know if the Blue Lagoon Resturant is open on boarding day as well for lunch.

Thanks,

Marcy

Once you reach Versailles, they will not redirect you. However, if you meet a crew member along the way, they will tell you, "the buffet on Deck 12 is open for lunch". Versailles is not a specialty restaurant so no charge. Go to deck 7, aft and then walk down a few stairs to the entrance. I can't remember about Blue Lagoon if it is open, I'll have to check my Freestyles later.

Judy,

If you get the chance could you email me some of the Acapulo pictures you took. I tried to get photos from webshots, but am not having any luck. Thanks! Linda

lga8761@aol.com

Sure, no problem I will try to get them out to you tomoorw. It's been a long day today. If you right click on the photo you want in webshots you should be able to save as. I always save them into my pictures.

Marcyjane. I think the Blue Lagoon was open, the daily for our boarding day has it listed for 24 hour service. The restuarant is nice for lunch the first day just walk in and ask for a table by a window.

I hope to have Puerto Vallarta done this weekend. I do have the pictures done got them done lunchtime today.

http://community.webshots.com/album/549903455pjUYUv

Another installment, I'm getting there.

Saturday 4/15/06-Puerto Vallarta

We docked here, no tenders were needed. Time in port was 9 to 4:30pm we needed to be back on the ship. We had breakfast in the Market Cafe and off the ship to meet our guide for our horseback riding tour. I booked this online with Rancho El Charro. I've included the link for anyone that might be interested.

http://www.ranchoelcharro.com/

We booked the cruise special which was a great buy. It included transportation from the pier to the ranch, the ride and lunch with a drink, all for $49.00. I did a lot of research on horseback riding in all 4 ports we were visiting and this was by far the best deal. The only downside was we didn't ride on the beach as we had done in Costa Maya. This ride was by a river and in the hills. The good thing was we got to see how the locals live. Being we were there during the Easter Holiday there were lots of locals. They were in the water swimming and having a BBQs, looked like they were having a lot of fun. The kids would wave to us as we rode by. As hot as it was I was really glad we weren't on the beach in the sun. P.V. is in the middle of a drought right now so we didn't get to swim with our horses.

I had booked both my mother and I to go but when we got there she was afraid of the height of the horse and didn't do the ride. Pamela from the US who is the owner (I think) gave my mother a full refund and she stayed with her in the ranch house while we did our ride. There was 6 of us riding, Megfire and her husband from our roll call and a husband and wife staying at a timeshare. We all had a great time.

If you plan on doing this tour MAKE SURE you book online ahead of time. Megfire wasn't sure and she didn't book till she got to the pier. They didn't get the cruise special which included lunch. We all paid the ame $49 but they had to pay for their lunch and so did my mother due to she didn't take the tour. Lunch was really good, I got a combo type meal deal with 2-3 different things and the others had a choice of one item from a different menu. The prices where reasonable. After we eat we're back on the horse down a short ways to the ranch house.

Then the guide takes us back to the ship. We had some time left so we gabbed a cab to the Malecon area. I wanted to see the area and some of the statues. We get off by the seahorse statue and near the Zoo and Hard Rock cafe. We went and got drinks at both places and I got a Hard Rock Cafe shot glass. I collect shot glasses from all the places we visit. I need to have another shelf built now as the one I have is full. We gab another cab back I can't remember the price but it wasn't much $5 or $6 each way per cab, I think. He drops us off at the pier and we still have about an hour so we walk around the market that's right there. Someone told us they close as soon as the ship leaves and this could be true as it seems we got some really good deals being we were there so late. One guy told me he would give me a deal cause I was his last customer. I bought a silver and black onyx pendent for $20, among other things.

Back on the ship we get ready for dinner and tonight is the night I know that NCL changed the menu days from when we boarded. I made all our ressie's for certain nights cause I didn't like the menus that they served those nights. At the ressie desk when I booked they had a book with eachevenings menus in it so you knew what days to make ressies. I know I made ressies for French night cause I don't really like anything served. We go to Aqua for dinner and read the menu and it's "French" night. They must have switched days due to the special Easter menu. Which I thought was funny that they didn't have one listed for Easter Sunday when I made our ressie as soon as we got on the ship. The moral of this story don't believe everything they tell you or you read, double check if it's important to you. I didn't enjoy dinner this night but I sure didn't starve. Maybe it helped me from gaining another cruise pound.

We went to the Jeff Trachta 9:30 show it was good better then I thought it would be, he was very funny. Then they had a 10:45 comedy show with Jeff Harms, it was standing room only. He is good we enjoyed all his shows. After the comedy show there was nothing else happening except a DJ in Carousel Lounge tonight, not what we wanted, we were looking for a live band. With nothing else to do we stopped by the pictures and check them out and went to our cabin.

End of another great cruise day.

Hi Judy - thanks for posting the pictures. Makes me want to be on the Star again. The pictures all seemed so familiar. We were on her in June, 2004 and actually had an outside room very close to your room. This time (June again) we're up on the 10th floor.

Was your muster station in the Stardust Theater?

I'm enjoying your reviews.

Hikini:D

7 weeks from tomorrow until we're on the Star again!

Thanks electricron, I meant to say Versailles,

Thanks cruisingfromMN, I thought that I had read somewhere over the months I've been reading about the Star and Alaska that the Versailles was open to serve lunch on sail day and that not many people knew that unless you were reading here on cruise critic because it was not crowded at all , but couldn't find the post again.

Sometimes on boarding day after the rush to get to the port and standing in line etc to board, you just want to sit down somewhere that's not rushed or crowded and relax for a few minutes.

Also Thanks to Judy for the link to the photo's I really enjoyed looking at them.

Thanks

Marcy

Hi Judy - Thanks for the pictures - they are great!

We are looking into our next two cruises now. This fall we are planning to go back to the Western Caribbean again (Grand Cayman and Jamaica) and next spring I think we are going to Tahiti.

How about you?

Vette

Hi Judy,

Thanks for pics! I did right click, but I have a new computer, and Had difficulty trying to pull them up. Thanks for taking time to do that for me!

Linda

You're Welcome! Some of them I stole from Jim.

Cabo pictures are now posted. Hope to get the review done soon.

http://community.webshots.com/album/549931762jnvCsP

Easter Sunday 4/16/06-Cabo San Lucas

Time in port is 8am and the last tender is 3:30pm. We're up early and off the ship by 8:00-8:30am. We get a glass bottom boat tour for $12.00 pp. With only the two of us, I didn't think that was bad. The guy who sold us the tickets spoke great English. The guide for the boat he took us to didn't speak English. We didn't realize this till we were on our way. A group of 6 Spanish speaking people join us for the tour. We only had to wait 5-10 minutes. It's a good thing they joined our boat. The tour was good only because the other group translated what they could for us and from my research I already had an idea, Lovers Beach, Divorce Beach etc. It would have been a lot better if the guide spoke English. A little tip to look out for. I asked to get off by The Melia Resort. I made sure several times the guide knew this. He let us off close to the Office.

We went to the Office for breakfast and the food was great, service was good but slow very slow. From some of the pictures I saw online I wanted to get one of the cabanas at the Melia, they looked like fun. We started to walk the beach down towards the Melia. We, made it as far as this place called The Sand Bar. It was great ,this young gentleman came over to us and was telling us about their happy hour all day everyday. He started to get us a table, I said we wanted lounges so he got them for us and an umbrella for shade. I decided to stay right here as the Melia looked packed. The Sand Bar ended up being great, the margaritas were 2 for $6.00 and they were really good.

We even did some shopping while we were there. This wonderful young lady came and sat right down with us and custom made some ankle bracelets for us and for such a great price we gave her more then she asked. She stayed with us for about an hour I think making us just want we wanted. Then I bought a platter and 2 bowls form a gentleman. They did make it back to NY in one piece I was worried about that. I swam in the water it was nice, some waves to make it fun but nothing to worry about. We had a great view of the ship from our chairs.

We stayed there as long as we could. When we're ready to leave we go up to the place next to us to get us a cab. A lady working there didn't want to help at all. This young gentleman tried calling for us a few times but the lines were busy. He explains how to walk up a few blocks to get a cab. It wasn't bad for me but my mother didn't like walking the few blocks, mainly due to the heat. We get a cab to take us to Cabo Wabo, I get a waborita, a bottle of Cabo Wabo and a T-shirt. It was late and we didn't see anyone from the ship there as I thought we would. I guess we wanted to late but we were having to much fun at The Sand Bar.

We go back out were the cab dropped us off and again we needed to walk to get a cab. We see this guy on a bike with the little trailer type thing behind him, ( just like on the boardwalk in Atlantic City ). We ask him if he went to the pier and he takes us. I can't remember the price but it wasn't that much. It was a longer ride then I thought it would be. It was nice to see everything from the cart behind the bike.

We get in line for the tender is was fairly long but went quick. As everyone else has stated about Cabo, I wish we had more time here. This is another place I would go back to and use our timeshare.

Back on the ship we go to our cabin, I had intentions to go up to the Bier Garten and that great hot tub up there again. Well, that didn't happen. I lied down on the bed for a minute and next thing you know it's 7pm and we missed our dinner ressies. We get ready for dinner in the main dining room and I was hoping there's something I will eat . I knew I made ressies today cause I didn't like the menu and we're hungry we haven't eaten a thing since breakfast at The Office. We go and check out the menu and to my surprise they have an Easter dinner menu posted that was not in the book when we boarded on Monday. I now realize this is what happened and I wasn't losing it. Dinner was good. We're done with dinner in time to make the 9:30 show of Cirque Pacific, it was a great show. Don't miss it if you can.

Tonight was the night for the late night comedy, The Liar's Club and the Chocoholic Buffet. We were so wiped out from 4 days in a row in port with early mornings that we both decided to go to our cabin and get some rest. I think deep down I just didn't want to be tempted with all the chocolate. Usually I at least go for the picture part, I didn't see that listed in the daily so I didn't even do that this cruise. At least I didn't gain any weight.

Only one more full day on the Star. Tomorrow we need to pack I always dread that part.

Monday 4/17/06-Last Day at Sea

This is always a day that is sort of sad for us cause we know we're off the ship the next morning. As with all vacations, they must come to an end.

We're up early as we were almost everyday this cruise. Early can be in the eye of the beholder, early for us, being we stay up so late in the evenings is like 7-8am. I know early for some is 4-5am that’s what my work days are like, sometimes much earlier. I like to sleep in a when I'm on vacation. On my cruise last March on the CCL Legend we slept in late more mornings then I would have liked. It was a rough week prior at work weather wise and I was just so tried it wore me out, so my goal now on a cruise is to try to enjoy ever moment I can, I can always sleep at home.

We got our packing done before breakfast, which after a few cruises I find this works good for us. As everyone else, I hate packing up to return. I like to get it done early and have the rest of the day without the stress of getting back to the cabin and packing to get our bags out before the deadline. Packing was a little different this cruise, as we were doing Disneyland after the cruise for 2 days. We made sure we packed everything we would need in our little suitcases.

With this task done we're off to breakfast. By the time we got to Venetian for breakfast, it was just closing. We seem to have breakfast in the dining rooms on sea days and at the buffet on port days. This works well for us. This cruise we didn’t order room service at all, actually we never even looked at the menu. I don't know why, we just didn’t have the time I guess. breakfast was good, there's plenty of things to choice.

I always like to enjoy our last day at sea up on deck enjoying the sun and relaxing a little with a good book before coming back to the real world. That wasn't going to happen this cruise , which sort of surprised me. It started last night coming back from Cabo the sea was starting to get rough. I took some ginger tabs as I did everyday and then some Bonnie before going to bed, and again this morning and I was fine.

I had planned to attend the last martini tasting at 11:30 but with the ship rocking as much as it was and the crowd that was there the last time was so small and not a lot of fun so I decided to skip it. NCL didn't offer a margarita tasting today.

There really wasn't much to do from breakfast to noon. Looking at the daily for that day there was at 10am, 2 boring lectures, lose 10 pounds, which I need but it's a just sales pinch, been there done that before. At 10:30 and 11am there was the debarkation talk, (which after a few cruises it's a waste of valuable cruise time), 5 minute make over, golf lecture, heart's play, karaoke and pasty demo, with needing to go to the lose 10 pounds, I don't need a pasty demo. LOL. Oh yeah if you're interested Bingo was at 11:15. So with nothing to do we walked around the ship and looked at the pictures again.

Now, at noon time there were a few things I would have liked to do but we had to choose one. Go figure. We had to decide between the movie at noon, the Magic Show at 1:45 or the Crew Show at 2pm. The movie was 2 hrs 25 minutes. I let my mother choose and we decided to go to the movie otherwise we had another hour and 45 minutes with nothing to do. I can't figure out why one of these events wasn't posted for a morning time, maybe the movie, I don't know, not good timing on whoever ever did the planning. Simon???

This is only the second time I went to a movie on a cruise, the first time was on the Disney Wonder and it was a new release. I always try to see all the Disney movies as soon as they are released. By the way if you haven't seen "The Wild" yet, it was released while we were on the cruise. We went this weekend, it's worth it to go see it, Jerry and I both enjoyed it. Back to the cruise. Cinderella Man was good it wasn't loud enough for my mother and I must agree it was low. I had a hard time hearing it too. The funny thing we noticed is that they leave the lights on during the movie. The movie started and we're waiting for the lights to dim and they never did. This could be for safety reasons but it was funny watching a movie on the big screen with the lights on. The theater was pretty full, I think this was due to the reasons I listed above, cool & windy outside, ship was rocking and there really wasn't anything else to do at this time unless you were into one of the above things I listed going on in the morning.

After the movie it was almost 3pm and I can't tell you want we did cause I can't remember, even with looking at the daily. I think this might have been the day I went to the casino and lost about $80- $100. I only went one time.

We had dinner at Endless Summer and we had the same wait staff we had the first visit. They were great and the food was good. I love Mexican food. We went to the 7:30 talent show, There was only 4 or maybe 5 guests that participated,. There was suppose to be more but it was mentioned they might have gotten sea sick or maybe stage fright set in. LOL The ones that did get up on stage were great. One guy we saw sing at karaoke a few nights before the show.

Beyond Broadway was tonight another Jean Ann Ryan production and it was as great, as all thier shows were! We went to the farewell bash with Freedom tonight at Spinnakers Lounge and the place was dead tonight. I think everyone was packing, we were glad we got that done early.

We were on the Star from 4/18 to 4/26. I must say the entertainment was by far the worst I have ever experienced on a cruise. From the cruise director to the comedian it was bad. I think the worst was the guy that played guitar by the pool during the day. One day the CD he used to play with was skipping (that was actually funny). He also played the same songs every day and it was extremely boring. The acrobat show was a good idea, but they only had a couple of acts so they had to use the ship dancers and singers as filler and it wasn't great.

I am used to cruising Royal Caribbean or Carnival. I am used to good music by the pool and at least one good comedian. The last Carnival Cruise we were on had two comedians and they were both good. They also had an actual band by the pool that was very good as well.

I don't know if our Star cruise was normal or they had trouble finding entertainers for the time between dry dock and moving to Alaska. First cruise after dry dock was 04/02 and they leave for Alaska tonight. Maybe the good entertainers didn't want to work that short time.

We were on the Star from 4/18 to 4/26. I must say the entertainment was by far the worst I have ever experienced on a cruise. From the cruise director to the comedian it was bad. I think the worst was the guy that played guitar by the pool during the day. One day the CD he used to play with was skipping (that was actually funny). He also played the same songs every day and it was extremely boring. The acrobat show was a good idea, but they only had a couple of acts so they had to use the ship dancers and singers as filler and it wasn't great.

I am used to cruising Royal Caribbean or Carnival. I am used to good music by the pool and at least one good comedian. The last Carnival Cruise we were on had two comedians and they were both good. They also had an actual band by the pool that was very good as well.

I don't know if our Star cruise was normal or they had trouble finding entertainers for the time between dry dock and moving to Alaska. First cruise after dry dock was 04/02 and they leave for Alaska tonight. Maybe the good entertainers didn't want to work that short time.

It's funny you posted that, in my final thoughts I touch on some of the things you mention.

I agree the pool bands on the other lines are much better or I should say more to my liken. Comment s on that coming.

I miss the midnight comedy shows that CCL has. Our comedian was pretty good as I stated in my review, Did you have the same one? I have also hated some on CCL too so it's a grab bag when you cruise.

As far as the productions shows they have always been better on NCL then any other lines I've cruised, except of course Disney, now they know how to put on a show.

Hope to have my final comments done soon.

Tuesday 4/18/06-Debarkation Day & Final Thoughts

Boo hoo we have to get off the ship today. We set the alarm for 8am as we were in no rush to get off the ship, also our tags were not listed to be called till about 10 am. We go to breakfast at the buffet, people are already waiting where they are told not to. Then it's time to get in line. I realized I left my jacket at the buffet. I go to the front desk they didn't have it. I run back up to the buffet and it's still hanging on the chair where we left it.

We take pictures as we're leaving of the ship getting all loaded for the 4/18 cruisers. We off and out fairly quickly as the line moved fast. Got our bags and now to find Prime Time Shuttle. Get the shuttle quickly and we're off to Double Tree Hotel in Orange. We get there about 12:30 I think cause I know we were on the 1pm shuttle to Disneyland.

Food & Dining Rooms:

We found the food to be good and always available. We ate at the Blue Lagoon one day for lunch, I missed it all together on the Dawn and made a point of going this cruise., I wish we had time to go there more. This cruise I seemed to skip lunch most days and just had a late breakfast and dinner. This was my choice as I didn't want to bring back extra baggage. I'm sorry I missed the pasta in the buffet.

We ate in Aqua for dinner twice, Versailles for one breakfast, one lunch and I think dinner once. This is a beautiful restaurant, I like to get a table by a window. We had dinner twice in Endless Summer, once in La Trattoria and loved them both. These are all restaurants without an extra fee. The only restaurant we ate at that was a Speciality or a fee was charged was Teppanyaki, We loved this place, it's my kind of food.

Service:

I touched on this some already but thought it was worth a topic of it’s own. We found the service to be excellent. We always had our room done up as soon as we left and our ice bucket was always full. We requested four towels and had no problem getting them two or three times a day. All our dining room staff was great and very friendly found no lack of service with free style. I think the dining staff works harder with freestyle compare to traditional dining on other lines. They were always busy, my mother even said she got dizzy watching them. All the staff members smiled and were polite and went out of their way to make our cruise special. We noticed this especially in Endless Summer and La Trattoria .

Ship:

NCL Star was what I expected with being on her sister ship the Dawn last May. What can I say that hasn't already been said about the Star, great ship, great layout and very clean. We found the ship easy to navigate as it was the same set up as the Dawn. For first timers it can get a little confusing. Just remember to use deck 7 to go to the restaurants.

This was only the second time for me being on a the same ship, well same style in this case. It was nice knowing the way around but I kinda missed the adventure of exploring a ship for the first time. Finding the layout and little things you do when sailing a new ship.

We loved the Star and would definitely sail on her again if the price is right.

Compared to the few ships I've been on I thought Stardust Lounge was set up better then some I've been on, exceptions the CCL Legend and of course the Dawn. Not too many bad seats as other ships and always a seat available. This wasn't the case on some ships, if you didn’t get there a half hour or more ahead of time you were stuck behind a pole. We walked in many nights just before show time and always found a great seat. WE had no issue with the seats as I read in other reviewa. Now not the case in Spinnakers Lounge some nights there was standing room only. To get a seat for these events in the evening get there early!

Free Style:

We love it! I do tend to book NCL, this is #3 now when possible, mainly for the freestyle. It's hard to go back and not sure if I want to cruise any other way now. Some nights we would be ready and eat at 5:30- 6 p.m. so we could make the early show at 7:30 p.m. and other nights we went to dinner late and would go to the late show. It was just great not to rush to be ready for dinner at a certain time and could eat when we were hungry.

It has it's good and bad points as does everything else. I liked free style more on the older ship we were on the Sea due to we got to meet and mingle with a lot more guest, On the newer ships the Dawn and Star they are set up for free style, more restaurants and choices, which is great. The down side is there's more tables for 2 and they don't encourage guests to share tables. If your a couple and want a nice romantic dinner or to just be with each other it's great. But for us it was a little boring. Would that stop me from doing free style not at all as I said we love the freedom and we will book NCL again. I just wanted to post this for new passengers looking to sail the Star know what to expect.

Pool Band

One thing I want to mention here is the pool band, we didn’t like them This band was better then the pool band on the Dawn. Not that they weren't good just that in all my cruises, (here I go sounding like I'm an expert with 30 plus cruises and this was only my 9th), all the bands played Caribbean music, island music or steel drum music or whatever you want to call it, I call it cruise music! On the Dawn they played like big band music with a lot of horns. This band didn’t play cruise music either it only played songs you hear on the radio, that's the only way to describe it. They just didn’t really play the kind of music I like when on a cruise but as long as it’s a live band and not a DJ, I will listen to anything. Just so other know what to expect.

Would I cruise NCL again? In a heartbeat!

I finally finished the review! Now, I'm off to the Disney boards to complete that section of the vacation.

Please forgive any typos and grammar errors.

Any questions on something I might have left out just ask.

Judyf

Thanks for the great detailed reviews of your trip to Mexico. DW and I are on the Star on the repo cruise out of Vancouver in Sept. after the Alaska season, and the insight you have given in your reviews will be invaluable. I am so glad that you had a great cruise and it seems to me that those that don't.... well let's just say that they probably expect too much and leave it at that!

Thanks again.

JBW

Archived