3 Florida stops on Western Caribbean cruise

We booked another 9-night Grandeur cruise from Baltimore for 06 when we were on the ship in 05. Now I see they've changed our itinerary and we have 3 stops in Florida - Miami, Key West and Port Canaveral. We only have two actual caribbean stops - Cozumel and Costa Maya.

I know that RC can change the itineraries without notice but I'm wondering why they are making 3 stops in Florida. Last year we stopped in Port Canaveral for 11 hours and they loaded the ship with supplies for the following week. I can understand that part but what is up with also stopping in Miami?

I know that Milk Products can get dicy on longer cruises... So that might be part of it..

The other, could be incentives by the Fl Port authorites to the Cruise Lines to draw in business...

It seems that those in Port Canaveral and Miami are trying to lure more stopover business, for local companies.

we are also booked on the Gr for this Aug. I was disappointed that Miami is now a stop. Port Canaveral and KW I can live with.

Part of this change has to do with Immigration. Going to the Bahamas and then back to Kw causes an extra Run through customs. The PC stop on the return takes care of customs when you get back to Baltimore.

We did the 10 day when the Galaxy was in town and loved it! that was a great itinerary

There was another thread about this topic recently. I believe someone heard that one reason for the change was the stop in Freeport came on a Sunday. Evidently there's not a lot going on in the Bahamas on a Sunday. We're also on that itinerary in August. I'm sure we'll have a great time regardless of the ports. After all, it's hurricane season, so we could end up somewhere completely different!

I'm not going to cancel the cruise because of the three ports and who knows, it could change until we actually go. I think every cruise that I've been on had a changed itinerary from when I originally booked. And it didn't stop me from enjoying every one.

We are one of the last 9 nighters to include the Bahamas. I heard that RCI did not get Grandeur's reservation in on time for July onward and so they had to make a different port stop. I have never been to Miami and that may be a lot of fun as opposed to Sunday in Freeport from 2-8. I don't think your missing much there.

I'm not going to cancel the cruise because of the three ports and who knows, it could change until we actually go. I think every cruise that I've been on had a changed itinerary from when I originally booked. And it didn't stop me from enjoying every one.

That's a great attitude. As a Florida resident, I can't imagine having 3 of 5 ports be in Florida on a 9 day cruise. However, all three Florida ports are legitimate "destinations" so if you are not too familiar with them, you should find interesting things to do.

Enjoy!

I wish they'd do better cruises out of Baltimore. That's an easy drive for me, but I have no desire to pay for a cruise and go to Florida! If I want to go to Fla., I'll just drive there and stay on the coast! Bermuda doesn't thrill me, either. If I'm paying this much for a vacation, I'd like it to be much more tropical!

My father lived in Miami for many years before he passed away in 1992 so I was in Florida every year and did the Jungle Queen cruise, Parrot Jungle, Metro Zoo, Everglades, Sea World, Disney World, etc. I'm sure things have changed a lot since I've been down last.

We are looking at the 2007 12-night Southern cruises out of New Jersey and now my DH is talking about cancelling this cruise and using the booked on board credit toward the 07 trip. He's not real happy with the Florida stops except for Key West. Last year in Port Canaveral was cold and rainy so we didn't get a good feel for that port either. He'd rather spend the money on the 12-nighter and get the better ports.

Archived