NEW YORK-I need HELP!

We've been to NYC many times, but always in the winter. We'll be in NYC in June for 4 days prior to a cruise. We want to do some "summer things".

We were thinking of going to Coney Island? How long should I allow for the visit? We will have 2 teens with us.

We also are going to walk the Brooklyn Bridge.

Can you help with ideas of things we should see and do on a summer visit??? We are very comfortable using the subway.

We were thinking of going to Coney Island? How long should I allow for the visit? We will have 2 teens with us.

You should also do some of the following:

Bronx Zoo

Brooklyn Botanic Gardens.

Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty

free concert in Central Park

As to Coney Island- there is an Aquarium there that is interesting but Coney Island is a shadow of it self and not worth the time on the Subway(in my opinion). If you can and want to make a day of it try to get tickets to the Brooklyn Cyclones game. and of course if you go ride the rollercoaster!

One more interesting and different--green wood Cemetary!

Coney Island is def. not what worth the subway ride. It's a little rundown now, and the area is not too great (do not go at night.)

There is only the aquarium which is pretty good, and then a minor league ballpark, KeySpan Park where the Brooklyn Cylcones play, good sightlines all around.

Sure, there is still the original Nathan's but not worth the time

If your renting a car, consider visiting one of Long Island's beaches.

Safety is not a significant issue in Coney Island. NY's crime rate is down in all areas including Coney Island, however tourists in any area, in any city should be cautious and stay with crowds, although you will find pickpockets in crowds this is not a major concern in NYC. Driving on Long Island is probably more dangerous than Coney Island. I can't tell you how many funerals of young people I have attended on Long Island as a result of car accidents. People from outside the city see New York City as a hotbed of crime. Many don't come into the City at all, and Brooklyn is viewed as Sodom and Gomorrah.

I thought of a couple more things:

The Science Museum in Queens

The Abisidean Baptist Church n Harlem...

two places.

www.nyc.gov

www.nyc.com

They should have a calendar. If they don't-on the .gov one go to the parks department and see if they list the concerts in the park series...They don't normally issue them until a month or two before hand.

also for discount tickets to plays I am sure you have heard of TKTS which is in Times Square there is another branch by the Southstreet seaport(which has ships to visit-another summer place) which is always less crowded than waiting on line...

Eating outside at The Boathouse in Central Park.

The rooftop terrace of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Shakespeare in the Park

http://www.publictheater.org/view.php?mode=shakespeare

Midsummer Night Swing at Lincoln Center

http://www.lincolncenter.org/programs/swing_home.asp?session=ECD1&version=&ws=&bc=99

New York Philharmonic In the Park

http://gonyc.about.com/od/summer/a/philharmonic.htm

Metropolitan Opra In the Parks

http://gonyc.about.com/od/summer/a/metinparks.htm

Museum Mile Festival (the museums are open until midnight free & street fair.

http://www.museummilefestival.org/

Just because you may be disappointed is no reason to skip Coney Island. Yes it takes about an hour on the subway to get there, and yes, it has seen better days, but you can visit the original Nathans and ride one of the best roller coasters ever, the Cyclone.

What dates are you going to be in NYC? Do you know where you are staying? If you are comfortable riding the subway, we stay at a great place about 15 minutes from Midtown. I think the subway is the greatest thing, I'm not sure why so many people are hesitant to try it. We've talked to people that have spent hundreds of dollars taking cabs. I've ridden the subway with 3 teen girls up to 11pm and we've never felt the least bit uneasy. I think one of the best money-savers for NYC is USE THE SUBWAY.

There are so many things going on in New York City at any one time that you do not need to have specific plans before you get here. Get a weekly listings magazine (Time Out New York is pretty good for this) and you will have so much to choose from the biggest problem will be deciding what not to do.

If the weather is nice you can rent bicycles and ride along the water.

I am still a big fan of Coney Island -- not just for the aquarium and the amusement park, but also for Brighton Beach which has a huge Russian immigrant community and some of the most interesting restaurants around.

Picnic in one of the many parks of New York. You can put together a truly gourmet picnic at one of New York's landmark food markets on the Upper West Side of Manhattan and then walk over to Central Park. Or try my neighborhood (Battery Park City) which has unobstructed views of the Statue of Liberty.

What dates are you going to be in NYC? Do you know where you are staying? If you are comfortable riding the subway, we stay at a great place about 15 minutes from Midtown. I think the subway is the greatest thing, I'm not sure why so many people are hesitant to try it. We've talked to people that have spent hundreds of dollars taking cabs. I've ridden the subway with 3 teen girls up to 11pm and we've never felt the least bit uneasy. I think one of the best money-savers for NYC is USE THE SUBWAY.

This is timely for me. We've just booked a cruise for this August and I'd be interested in knowing the name of the place you stay. We've never been to NY but we're not at all shy about using the subway. I have a room reserved at the Crowne Plaza Times Square only because it seemed decently priced compared to others and we really have no idea where to stay yet. Hubby would rather park somewhere other than right downtown and ride the subway in. Just getting started with my research for this one.

We've been to NYC many times, but always in the winter. We'll be in NYC in June for 4 days prior to a cruise. We want to do some "summer things".

Can you help with ideas of things we should see and do on a summer visit??? We are very comfortable using the subway.

I still like Coney Island and think it's worth a visit. Walking along the boardwalk, eating Nathan's french fries - perfect June treat!

The water is another possibility, but I can tell you from experience that it is very, very cold still in June(low 60's?). The teens might want to give it a shot, though. There should be life guards on duty since it is after Memorial Day (traditional opening day of the beaches, but the mayor might have delayed it this year??).

Also, the aquarium is terrific, if very time consuming.

I think the place we stay sounds perfect for you. It's called the PanAmerican Hotel www.panamhotel.com The rooms are about $120 a night. They rooms are large(if you've ever stayed in NYC, it's very difficult to get a large room that's not $$$$). There is a diner just down the street on the way to the subway. They serve large portions-good prices. The subway is about 3 blocks from the hotel-an easy walk.-15 or so minutes to the city. I take my daughter and her friends every Thanksgiving. We've never felt uncomfortable riding the subway or walking to the hotel as late as 11PM. We think it's the best find! Believe it or not - a bonus-they offer free parking. I'd be very surprised it you stayed there and were disappointed. I'm not sure what the rating is, but I know we've stayed at 3&4 star in Times Square area that were comparable based on amenities, but none were as spacious.

Thanks so much Bogel, that place looks great and at $119 a night with free parking (I just booked!!) it's perfect. We actually weren't too crazy about fighting the traffic downtown but I love the idea of hopping on the subway to head downtown for the day. If any of the locals have anymore tips about staying in Queens I'd be grateful. Thanks again. I'll be picking all of your brains some more I'm sure over the next few months.:)

We've been staying at the PanAm for years. Frankly, there's nothing near it to see-at least that we know of. It's along a highway with a few fast food restaurants and the diner. We feel the same way, we drive through the traffic to get there and park. It's just a few extra minutes each day to get where we are going. We'd rather use the extra money to see shows, sights, etc.

Has anyone gone to a concert in Central Park? There is a night time concert (8:00 p.m.) when we'll be there that we'd like to attend. There are fireworks following the concert. Would packing a picnic and bringing a blanket to sit on be the right thing to do? If you're leaving the park after dark is it safe to get back to the Times Square area, where our hotel will be?

Thanks for any help.

I haven't done it in a couple of years but these are great fun. There will be many people there and many police. Packing a picnic and blanket is just perfect many people will do that and bring folding lawn chairs. Its normally at the great lawn. The Park is about a mile from times square...

Don't forget to see Rockafella Center, St. Patricks Cathedral, Alfredo’s Italian Restaurant the best Alfredo ever. After you walk over the Brooklyn Bridge (your shins will hurt the next day but its worth it) make a right and follow the water over to where the water taxi is and there is a homemade ice cream place which is yummy. Then you can take the water taxi back to the area where your ship will dock and see then entire coast line cheap. If you go to World Trade visit the small church and make sure you go across the street to One Financial it's amazing. SoHo is an excellent place to eat because it is a college oriented town its like eating in Jersey the prices are so normal (Silver Spur excellent). When in Times Square try Roxy's Deli (huge portions) or Ellen's Starlight Diner (50's diner with entertainment by the wait staff and their good) or Sardi’s pricey but a landmark in the theater district. A must Italian family style restaurant in the theater district right by Sardi’s is Carmine’s and the food is out of this world is http://www.carminesnyc. Don’t forget tea at the Plaza. I’ll stop I have soooooo many favorites. Just yell if you need anything. I’m heading out on May 28th on Spirit with my daughter. Have fun.

• 2 months later...

How about a beach trip? Jones Beach in Wantagh, Long Island is your best bet as an out of state resident. Beaches are great summer fun. You can take the Long Island Rail Road from Manhattan and then a bus to the beach. They have package deals, see link below.

http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/libus/jones_beach/jbcs.htm

We had a great time on our first NYC visit.

We stayed at the Casablanca Hotel on 43rd between 6th and 7th. I would recommend this hotel to everyone, it is a small hotel with personal service you won't find at a bigger hotel. Clean, polite, helpful, great location.

The Subway was a breeze, honestly. You can use your debit/credit card or cash to purchase the subway ticket (buy a $7.00 all day pass). We went at all times of the day, early morning and early evening. It was clean, straight forward, people are helpful and there are police and staff just about everywhere to help if you need it. (The staff at the Casablanca patiently explained everything, gave us a map - showed us where we were, where we were going, the subway options to get there...).

I think you do need a game plan before you go, there are so many options that you can waste hours trying to figure out which direction to head.

We went to the NY Library, Rockefeller Ctr, St Patricks, Trinity Church, Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island (two separate islands!), Today show, Little Italy, Museum of Natural History, Central Park, Wall Street (walked on the first paved street in NYC), Chrysler Building, Caswell-Massey store (where you can get George Washington's cologne), Times Square (every night), Macy's, Madison Square Garden, Toys R Us, Hard Rock, Madama Toussards, ...... we did a lot in the four days we were there. Wouldn't trade a minute of it.

I would really, really recommend you check out the Casablanca Hotel - although it was pricey continental breakfast, afternoon snacks and an evening wine and cheese spread is available every day. Saves money on meals.

Archived