To: mozart1999 re: CASUAL WEAR ON FORMAL NIGHTS

nobbync

Hi mozart1999,

I tried to read all the answers on your posts but it didn't seem like many people really answered your question. I thought about replying but there are so many posts I thought I'd start a new one and hope you see it.

I have been on 3 cruises to date. First was 7 days on RCCL which was great and I enjoyed dressing up and it made for a different type of atmosphere. We had wonderful tablemates and I thought I always wanted to have this experience dining. My second cruise was 10 days to Alaska on Princess. I also enjoyed the dining room experience but a couple nights we did go to the bistro dining which was very good. Our tablemates in the main dining room were nice but we really didn't hit it off but it wasn't bad. Still I looked forward to the dining room. My 3rd cruise was on HAL on the Oosterdam. I was really looking forward to a more elegant dining experience. Unfortunately we had the tablemates from hell and to be honest the service we had was not very good either. Instead of asking for a new table we decided to eat on the lido the next night and it was wonderful. I enjoyed the casual atmosphere and that was the first formal night. We basically stayed on the lido or hung out in our room on the balcony that night and it was nice.

The rest of the cruise we ate in the lido and we should have had room service a night or two but maybe the next time. Overall missing the formal nights was not a big loss. We enjoyed what we did and most of the evening we just relaxed and either watched a movie or read our books. On a couple occassions when the early dinner passengers were getting ready for dinner we spent time in the pool and hot tubs when there wasn't many people there. I do admit on some formal nights on my cruise I have taken I did go back after dinner to change to something more comfortable and then went to the show. But when I did that I still wore nice clothes and I made sure I sat on the balcony so others would not be so upset seeing me. I did see many people doing the same as I did. What I did avoid was going to the lounges or walking through the main atrium area's on formal nights unless I was dressed properly.

Overall I'd say you'll enjoy yourselves on those nights even if you do not wish to partake in the formal nights. In a corner balcony it would be wonderful to have dinner out there but as others pointed out it may be a little chilly out there. You'll also get some spectacular views to enjoy as you're eating. I am planning to go on Oosterdam again in October. This time I will be going solo for the first time and I do plan to eat in the lido each night or room service if the main menu has something I like. I do not wish to carry my formal wear for this 7 day cruise. I am going to relax, read some books, watch a movie or two and just relax some more. There are plenty of things to do if you wish to stay casual on formal nights.

Nobby

Sounds more like the voice of excuse! :rolleyes:

Why am I the voice of excuse???? :rolleyes: I did go to a show after changing and sat on the balcony but the rest of the time I stayed away from the area's that were public. If you want to say that's an excuse to not dress up, I'll give you that. My post was just to point out to mozart1999 that you can have fun without partaking in the formal nights events as there's enough to do. I did this on a new post because I have a feeling mozart1999 stopped reading after all those comments but I guess with your post the bashing starts all over.

So if it was up to you all area's should be off limits on formal nights? I thought this is why they have the lido dining for all us excuse makers to eat if we don't want to dress up??? Prior to my Oosterdam cruise I enjoyed the formal nights but things happened and it changed. It didn't help that I felt the food in the lido was just as good. The next cruise I am on with some friends I will eat in the dining room and dress accordingly. In the meantime I'll happily eat in the lido but you won't see me in a bath robe... :D

Thanks for the comments NoNoNanette and I have seen that you're the voice of reason in your posts as well.

Nobby

nobby, it`s your money, your vacation and your time so do whatever you feel like doing, i agree, we had a better dining experience in the lido than the main dining room. i won`t wear the robe but i will stay casual at nite.

Why am I the voice of excuse???? :rolleyes:

Nobby

Actually, it was the other poster I was speaking of (as were you).

It was my little attempt at humor playing off a second meaning of "reason."

Actually, it was the other poster I was speaking of (as were you).

It was my little attempt at humor playing off a second meaning of "reason."

Got it and no sweat... I was just wondering since you didn't quote it... It was kind of puzzling but thanks for answering...

Have a great day!

Nobby

nobbync :

Thank You, that´s what I ask for.

I read all the posts on the other tread, I´m laughing a lot, I didn´t expect to have that kind of answers but they help me choose to take only a sport jacket to Alaska and stay a lot on my balcony, for me Alaska is all about scenery and wildlife, so what better way to use my corner balcony than to have breakfast every day and dinner at least 2 days (formal nights) and enjoy with my family all that Alaska have for us.

But I´m somehow dissapointed in some CC´s ways of helping fellow cruisers, but even those help a lot.

Formal, smormal -- just enjoy the cruise. To paraphrase a cliché, different rags for different lads (and lassies).

I second this...the fact that you posed the question in the first place, shows you are considerate. Enjoy every moment of your cruise!!:) You will be pleasantly suprised by the fact that dress is not as big an issue as would be gathered from reading some of these boards.

Everyone who goes on the cruise ships has different ideas on how one would spend his or her time on board. It's your vacation and if you don't like formal seatings and want to do room service or Lido, so be it. I like formal events myself and enjoy attending in that fashion (no doubt because we do so darned little of it beyond the Navy Birthday Ball). Again, my cruise, my tastes. To each his/her own but make sure you have a great time and vacation doing it!

Archived