QM2 southampton arrival times change

Cunard Cruiser

I called Cunard to confirm the QM2 ETA to Southampton for crossings in August. They are now telling us all arrivals for crossings will be 9:00am instead of 6:30am. To actually disembark can now take up to four hours (meaning noon).

Hope this information helps anyone who may have connecting flights or trains.

Is there a later arrival time in New York as well? If not, it would seem strange that it takes longer one way and not the other!

Maybe, without "full speed" being available during this summer (ie, above cruising speed) to make up time lost TA, they are building in a few hours leeway so they can either still arrive "on time" (9am) or early (6.30) (a trick many train companies in the UK have done, trains are timetabled slower than 30 years ago but run at the same speed and therefore can claim to arrive at the destination "early").

What worries me is the knock-on effect in Southampton (and New York?). By losing 3 hours in turn-around, will boarding be delayed? (I'm amazed they can do it in less than 12 hours as it is). I had planned to board early, as soon after noon/1pm as possible but don't fancy sitting in a holding area for an extra 3 hours, and then the rush to board and book spa, resturants etc. And we could be having the 1st evening meal and show whilst still moored! And a lovely view of Hythe Pier and the Isle of Wight Ferry instead of the broad north atlantic from the Commodore Club!

Of course, if we do arrive in New York later I can get a lie in instead of having to get up at 4 to see us pass under the bridge!

Anyone know?

Pepper.

Associated British Ports, Southampton, "Cruise Ship Schedule" are showing 5.30am (GMT?) arrival times for QM2 TA in August 2006. Updated 3 May 2006. Either the port authority don't know or Cunard customer services don't know, take your pick (I know where my money is!).

Pepper.

Our recent trip into Southampton had that earlier time changed to the later time. In reality, we are there way before that and left the ship around 9am. Not sure why the different times.

And 4 hours? We did self disembark and left when we wanted. Even the colored tag calling seemed to be well underway though.

Archived