Differences between menu Horizon vs dining room?

rgtkkb

I am a little confused about the menu differences between the Horizon and dining room. Some of the posts here indicate they are almost the same; others imply that the dining room is much better. Aside from lobster tails, does the Horizon serve basically the same menu? What will we be missing (in menu choices or food quality) if we choose the buffet?

The Horizon Court once in awhile has some of the same foods as the dining room. We often dine there as we are not big 'two hour plus dinner passengers'. But not always do they serve the same things as the dining room does. There is a large variety and usually we can find something that interests us.

If one wishes a change from American / Continental food, Horizon will often have interesting dishes. To name a few -- curry dishes if the cruise has British pax, Paella, Sushi, Chinese dishes, stews, Filipino dishes, etc. I think they prepare these items for the crew but never serve them in the main dining rooms. /Sultan

We eat at the Horizon most of the nights as we refuse to pack for formal nights and do not really like the 2 hour dining room experience either. A little tip is that if you don't see it - ask for it....

There have been many times that I have seen something on the dining room menu that I was interested in, then, to my dissapointment, it was not on the buffet. Someone has always brought me what I have asked for..... even a lobster tail.... in the Horizon.

We noticed last October that whatever wasnt served at dinner was at the buffett after all the dinner times where over and done.................

Happy about that as where able to have some of our favorites from dinner................

Sounds good, but I don't think I would want to wait for leftovers. So do you mean that the dining room items weren't there earlier? Is what is there of lesser quality?

We were on the Sapphire last month and we wrote down what we wanted from the dining room menu to order for room service. It was great! Very interesting seeing escargot from room service.

I think people from other ships reported that this didn't work for them, but it doesn't hurt to try!

I am a little confused about the menu differences between the Horizon and dining room. Some of the posts here indicate they are almost the same; others imply that the dining room is much better. Aside from lobster tails, does the Horizon serve basically the same menu? What will we be missing (in menu choices or food quality) if we choose the buffet?

I am convinced that the ships are run more like hotels in a chain. Each one has its own variances. I've been on ships where the Horizon Court Likes to mimic the Formal Dining Room and I've been on ships where they try and be completely different in themes. I remember a German night on the Sun in Horizon Court that was sooo tempting.

On the Island Night and Fiesta night parties, they typically set out a totally unique buffet on deck that in some cases is better than the dining room menu.

I would look at the dining room menu, then talk to the Horizon Court manager and see if they have any theme nights or specialty nights, or if they have a menu list to show you for the cruise.

I am convinced that the ships are run more like hotels in a chain. Each one has its own variances. I've been on ships where the Horizon Court Likes to mimic the Formal Dining Room and I've been on ships where they try and be completely different in themes. I remember a German night on the Sun in Horizon Court that was sooo tempting.

On the Island Night and Fiesta night parties, they typically set out a totally unique buffet on deck that in some cases is better than the dining room menu.

I would look at the dining room menu, then talk to the Horizon Court manager and see if they have any theme nights or specialty nights, or if they have a menu list to show you for the cruise.

Thanks. This might explain the apparent inconsistency between some of the descriptions.

We (at least DW and I) are not big meat eaters, and often find a much greater variety of interesting veggie dishes available in Horizon Court than in the main dining room. Our experience has been that many, but not all, of the main dining room selections are also available on the buffet...starting right at 5pm or whenever they begin the dinner service.

Archived