American Airlines Luggage Limits

In Nov. our best friends sailed with us on Serenade... they flew from Ft. Lauderdale and were charged "extra" as she packed everything including the kitchen sink...

I swear...I did't bring that!!!! I really didn't overpack. I think part of my problem is that my suitcase is bigger than usual. My old one was perfect - and not as heavy...but Southwest damaged it a bit! I actually didn't even fill this one!

heehee..... actually I had to laugh at her since I packed 13 pairs of shoes...... but I can fit everything in one medium size and one small suitcase.... including 13 pairs of shoes (actually 12 since I was wearing one). Even my formal dresses were in ziploc bags with the air sucked out. Makes for lots more room..... and no wrinkles !!!!

But she had one of those huge hard sided things that weighed 20 pounds empty....so when she packed stuff in it there was no way it was going to be under 50 lbs :eek: Of course it was her first cruise....now she knows better

Have you thought of buying a smaller one and piggybacking it to the large one? If you don't have a strap a bungie cord works. :) I thought they had higher limits for international but I guess they don't anymore. The reason for the 50lb limit is due to safety reasons. To avoid injury to the crew moving the luggage.

It used to be 70 lbs, but I guess they changed it. I did think of that, but my flight leaves at 6:30 tomorrow morning!!!!!!!!! I should have packed sooner and I would have known! But I didn't.....

So, now I'm just going to suck it up and pay the extra I guess! I really think if it is over the 50 lbs it's only by a few. I'm a cute girl...I might be able to work it! LOL j/k

I avoided an issue by having a second bag which was a garment bag. I was able to move a few things from the main suitcase into the zipper portion of the garment bag to stay under. Particularly helpful on the way HOME w/ all of the giftage.

JC

Just to let you know American can be very strict re weight allowance. Last year our one suitcase was over by a few pounds. The skycap told me to pay the 25 Bucks or open all my suitcases at the curb and redistribute the clothes. I wasn't really sure if he was telling me in an indirect way to give him the 25 bucks and he would let it go. I had already tipped him well. We had one bag for each person and each was a different size. Any way, on the way back out of Miami there was no problem with the weight and we had more stuff than when we started. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry. This year I will pack lighter and distribute the weight more evenly. HOpe you make out okay

Tina

The weight limit is 50 lbs and they are very strict. I was just a few lbs over and they charged me the $25. Didn't bother me cause $25 to get to bring everything I wanted to bring in one suitcase was worth it.

What's up with this? I called today (as our flight leaves tomorrow). The first thing the lady at AA asked was "when did you book"? Since it was last August/September she said it was still 70lbs. for Intl. and 40 lbs. for carry on (and 45"). Whatever happened it must have just been this year.

It depends on who you get as a rep and also exactly how far over you are. Some of them are more lenient than others. When I went on my cruise by myself in February one of my bags was over by 4 lbs. The rep took pity on the single female traveling alone and didn't charge me. Coming back, they didn't even weigh them.

2 weeks later, same airport, same airline, saw a different rep charge the person in front of me who was over by 2 lbs. Mine was just under this time so I was lucky.

What's up with this? I called today (as our flight leaves tomorrow). The first thing the lady at AA asked was "when did you book"? Since it was last August/September she said it was still 70lbs. for Intl. and 40 lbs. for carry on (and 45"). Whatever happened it must have just been this year.

This is correct. It depends on when you pruchased your ticket. all new ones are the stricter limits of 50lbs. I still haven't had a carry on weighed..yet...

The AA site seems to say two checked bags at 50 pounds each plus one carry-on at 40 pounds plus a briefcase,coat, etc. This appears to be the case whether domestic or international. Do others read the AA site the same way?

Bob :cool:

I went to China last April and the limit was 50 lbs, they were very strict about the weight at the US airports, when departing china, my suitcase was a few Lbs over, but they let me slide. so i guess maybe it does have something to do with rep.

That's the way I'm reading it. In fact, it reads stricter for baggage limits for international flights rather than domestic flights.

It isn't JUST AA, it's pretty standard. Plus they're getting real strict on the number of bags.

I was flying back from Honolulu to the Left Coast and had three bags, a 28" Pullman & smaller checked bag (a set) plus a small duffel bag to check as well. That third bag cost me $80!! I didn't have any room in either of the other bags plus I already had a carry-on and my laptop, so I couldn't carry it with me.

It really is a good idea to weigh your luggage before you leave for the airport. My Mom made this mistake last year going to Australia on a 3 week trip. Turns out her luggage was OVER the limit for Quantas and it COST her $$$. She picked up a great little hand scale(hang luggage from hook on scale) from Magellian.com and it hasn't happened again.

She just left last week for a river cruise leaving out of Amsterdam (British Air) and she paid 0 in weight overage.:)

I'm a light packer never have had this problem;) .

I purchased my tickets to Paris, in Dec...am I okay for the 70lbs?

I belive you should call the airline but I believe it was effective with tickets purchased on or about 10/1/05 and thereafter.

Baggage allowance info can be found on the American Airlines website:

Dimensions, Weight and Number of Pieces

For flights wholly within the United States and between the United States and Canada

The maximum amount of baggage each ticketed passenger is allowed free of charge is:

• 2 pieces checked and one carry-on

Please note that one carry-on personal item does not count toward the free bag allowance.

The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.

• Two checked bags at 62 in/157 cm each
  • One carry-on bag at 45 in/114 cm

The maximum weight per checked bag is 50 lbs/23 kgs.

The maximum weight per carry-on bag is 40 lbs/18 kgs.

For flights to/from Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands

The maximum amount of baggage each ticketed passenger is allowed free of charge is:

• 2 pieces checked and one carry-on

Please note that one carry-on personal item (see "Carry on Allowance") does not count toward the free bag allowance.

The size limitation of your luggage is calculated by adding the total outside dimensions of each bag, that is, length + width + height.

• Two checked bags at 62 in/157 cm each
  • One carry-on bag at 45 in/114 cm
  • The maximum weight per checked bag is 50 lbs/23 kgs.

The maximum weight per carry-on bag is 40 lbs/18 kgs.

For flights to international destinations

Please note that one carry-on personal item does not count toward the free bag allowance.

Guidelines For Tickets Issued On Or After November 1, 2005 Type of baggage Number AllowedSize Allowed

(length + width + height) Maximum free weight allowed

Carry-on: 145 in/114 cm40 lbs/18 kgs.

Checked: 262 in/157 cm each50 lbs/23 kgs

$25 USD charge each for bags weighing 51-70 lbs.

I was charged the extra $25 leaving Miami last year. Really ticked me off as there was no compensation for me on the way down to Florida when one of my bags didn't arrive till more than 24 hours after I did (good thing we had planned to spend few days in Key Largo before our cruise).

Just weigh yourself on your scale at home. Make sure that you do it on a hard surface floor, not carpet. Then stand on the scale while holding your luggage. Have someone else read the scale for you so that you can stand up straight. Take your large number and subtract the smaller number and that is your luggage weight. It does help if your scale is a digital number scale that goes by the half pound. This is very accurate.

Archived