Vancouver Info if needed

Thanks again for your help!! I think we are going to give it a try. Do you know if there is anywhere near the cruise terminal to get passes or close to Blue Horizon hotel where we are staying. Are there 2 day passes, we disembark Friday morning and fly out early Sunday morning.

Thanks again for your help!! I think we are going to give it a try. Do you know if there is anywhere near the cruise terminal to get passes or close to Blue Horizon hotel where we are staying. Are there 2 day passes, we disembark Friday morning and fly out early Sunday morning.

Unfortunately no multi-day passes, but you can buy more than one at once (just ask the retailer for X for today, X for tomorrow and double-check before paying that the dates are correct - or left blank for you to do yourself).

Many options between the pier and BH - this map shows all round town - with the closest to each being within a block, Gateway News for CP and London Drugs for BH.

• 3 weeks later...

First of all, to all of you who are so informative & helpful on these boards... The time you take to answer questions truly makes our travels so much easier, and what makes Cruise Critic so special. THANK YOU!

We will be a party of 4 disembarking from our HAL Oosterdam cruise in Sept. I see that the ship's shore tour of Vancouver (HOHO) is a mere 2 hours. Our flight only leaves at 8:30 p.m. Have looked at Landsea Tours and like what they offer (4 hours).

I phoned them and they tell me that they are not allowed to pick up right at the pier and that we would have only a "short" walk to their shuttle bus & they take care of our luggage. Does anyone know more about this? All I can picture is 4 tired cruisers dragging tons of luggage to pick up the tour. Perhaps we could do the luggage transfer off the ship as a better option and then pick up the tour?

This is the last excursion we have to book, and I really would appreciate any advice.

Thank you so much.

Sleddogs (Denise)

Never taken a tour with Landsea so can't confirm precisely where their bus might be, but generally all tour buses line up at the same point - which is right next to where the HOHO stop at Canada Place is and only a few yards away from Canada Place, on a nice wide level sidewalk.

I think you've made an incorrect assumption in comparing the tours though - Landsea is four hours, but that of course includes driving between things as well as time looking around at several stops. They don't go anywhere that the HOHOs don't on the basic tour - in fact they have many fewer stops than HOHOs do, plus of course your time at each site is based on their schedule. With the HOHOs you can stay as long as you like.

Of course there's a tradeoff - with Landsea you are guaranteed your seat at each stop so no risk of having to wait for the next vehicle, your bags ride with you, and they will drop you at the airport at the end of the tour if desired (NB: with an 8:30pm flight that's a lot of sitting around at YVR though...)

Personally I would do the following, which for four of you will almost certainly save some money as well as more importantly allowing you much more flexibility during your visit:

1) Use Priority Baggage at the pier - they'll store your bags, and also send them to YVR for you. Your flight time is perfect - bags will arrive at YVR by 4:30ish, before you do. $40 for first 4 bags - if you have more than one each, it's $10 per extra bag.

2) Use HOHO to tour as long as you like, breaking for lunch (Granville Island is ideal for this) as desired. Unless you have a Groupon or similar for another company, I'd use the Trolley - they have two loops, more stops, and smaller vehicles than the other companies and they're all about the same price c.$40pp

3) When you're done with touring, take Skytrain ($4pp weekdays, $2.75pp weekends) or a cab (metered, approx CAN$35) to YVR.

4) Collect bags from Priority Baggage at your terminal (they have offices in both, so tell them where you're flying when you drop off the bags and they'll send them to the right one), check them, had through security & US Customs/Immigration if applicable

5) Grab some dinner before your flight so you don't have to eat airline food and with no more queues to worry about, just getting to your gate for boarding.

Total price depends on transit method & number of bags per person, but most likely between C$55 & C$60pp - even if you decided to pay the $16pp for the Lookout and had some extra bags you'll end up paying no more than you would with Landsea, and if any/all of you are Seniors you'll definitely save even more (HOHOs do senior pricing, Landsea do not).

Edited by martincath

"Martincath", let me just say you are awesome! Thank you so much for the information. We will share this with our friends, discuss our options and be able to make an informed decision. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful city.

Thanks again! Have a great day!

Sleddogs

That's an amazing answer. Couldn't have put it better myself. Lol.

I can personally voucher for Vancouver trolley bus. I have done it several times now. You can get on and off wherever you want. This year they are doing two routes so I doubt if you'll have time do both, but I would suggest doing the one that covers Stanley Park as that is somewhere you definitely need to visit. I would stop off at the Totem Poles, Prospect Point, English Beach, Granville Island (you can get a free ferry ticket which takes about 5 mins or so) from near English beach over to Granville. Granville is great for lunch, with a food court at the market selling allsorts. You wont get it all done in a day on both tours as we usually take two days, that's why I suggest you do the one with Stanley Park in as that is a must visit on your journey.

Have fun. It's my favourite city.

I just wanted to follow up on the pick up topic of the pick up point for Vancouver Tours (Land/Sea Tours)....I did phone them and am advised that they now pick up people at the east lobby of the Convention Centre at Canada Place. A customer just takes the elevator up to the street level of Canada Place, turns right and walks about 200 ft.

"Love to Chill"...thank you for the information, very helpful. Last time we were there, we had to go directly to the airport, so we never got to visit. We promised ourselves, next time we were in Vancouver, we'd plan to take some kind of tour. We can't wait!

"Putterdude".....thank you too, your info about where we would pick up the tour at Canada Place has pretty much made up my mind about going w/LandSea Tours. Sounds convenient, and easy. Plus, with LandSea handling our luggage and bringing us directly to the airport, it's a win-win. Checked reviews about them and they are top notch. Planning to call them this week. Many thanks....

Sleddogs

What a wonderful thread and so much information.

A few questions....we will be in Vancouver 3 days before our cruise. We were debating between Hampton Inn and L'Hermitage. We have decided on L'Hermitage. (Be there in May 2016).

How is the location? Would it be better to stay in some other location? We plan on one day doing Grouse Mtn., C. Bridge, and Hatchery. Another day maybe Hop On Hop Off bus with stop at Stanley Park and use their shuttle to tour the park. Also would like to do Fly Over Canada, hit the Gastown area and Granville Island.

Just some of the things we would like to hit so that is why we were wondering about the location of the hotel...if it will be difficult to get to these places.

And what would be a good way to get transportation from this hotel?

Thank you for any input.

A few questions....we will be in Vancouver 3 days before our cruise. We were debating between Hampton Inn and L'Hermitage. We have decided on L'Hermitage. (Be there in May 2016).

How is the location? Would it be better to stay in some other location? We plan on one day doing Grouse Mtn., C. Bridge, and Hatchery. Another day maybe Hop On Hop Off bus with stop at Stanley Park and use their shuttle to tour the park. Also would like to do Fly Over Canada, hit the Gastown area and Granville Island.

Just some of the things we would like to hit so that is why we were wondering about the location of the hotel...if it will be difficult to get to these places.

Thank you for any input.

They're only four blocks apart, but the best HOHO pickup is nearer L'H: Homer St outside the Central Library - trolleys line up here BEFORE they go to Canada Place for the first time, so you get on before the hordes of those bloody annoying cruisers;-)

Much as I love Hamptons there's simply no comparison of the facilities, and there will also be crowds of loud sportsfans coming & going outside the Hampton if there are games on at the stadium (you may also have a room with a frickin' enormous TV screen pointing at it which stays retina-burning bright until 11pm daily); stick to L'H which only has the building site over the road (local bylaws prohibit noise before a civilized hour of the morning) and the brunch crowds for Medina downstairs to worry about.

Transportation depends where you're going - public transit has buses outside on Homer, up the block on Georgia, and on basically every other major street around downtown; Skytrain stops at Chinatown, Granville, City Center and Yaletown are all easy to get to; for your free Cap/Grouse shuttles you'll probably just want to walk up to Canada Place but the hotel can certainly call you a cab if you're feeling lazy or have problems walking.

Thank you for any input.

I don't necessarily disagree with mc's advice it really comes down to price...if both are relatively the same then l'H would be my first choice. There is of course always the, "however", two of things I rather like about the Hampton are the free (OK, included) breakfast and shuttle to the pier. As for sports fans....in the lobby or walking loudly down the street, you could check your dates against the BC Place Stadium calendar of events....but in the normal course of events there is about 1/2 pre and post game where there is an noise issue.

http://www.bcplacestadium.com/index.php/calendar.html

"Putterdude".....thank you too, your info about where we would pick up the tour at Canada Place has pretty much made up my mind about going w/LandSea Tours. Sounds convenient, and easy. Plus, with LandSea handling our luggage and bringing us directly to the airport, it's a win-win. Checked reviews about them and they are top notch. Planning to call them this week. Many thanks....

Sleddogs

You are most welcome, both are great operators and I am certain that you would enjoy either tour....however its are to argue against Vancouver Tours tour from a convenience perspective.

I don't necessarily disagree with mc's advice it really comes down to price...if both are relatively the same then l'H would be my first choice. There is of course always the, "however", two of things I rather like about the Hampton are the free (OK, included) breakfast and shuttle to the pier. As for sports fans....in the lobby or walking loudly down the street, you could check your dates against the BC Place Stadium calendar of events....but in the normal course of events there is about 1/2 pre and post game where there is an noise issue.

http://www.bcplacestadium.com/index.php/calendar.html

Sunlover was just asking about L'H vs Hampton a couple of days back and confirmed there was minimal price difference - without a big chunk of savings it didn't seem worth mentioning any mitigating circumstances on the Hampton...

Sunlover was just asking about L'H vs Hampton a couple of days back and confirmed there was minimal price difference - without a big chunk of savings it didn't seem worth mentioning any mitigating circumstances on the Hampton...

and I don't disagree with the advice you gave....I just felt that there were a couple of things to consider and took the liberty of pointing them out....all things being equal I would be staying at the l'H myself.

Thanks again...and yes breakfast is a plus but I got a package deal at the IH that includes their breakfast buffet every morning...so it is like comparing equally.

I hate making decisions.....I want a hotel in a good location, that includes breakfast, and is nice and comfortable since we will be staying 3 nights!!:D

Thanks again...and yes breakfast is a plus but I got a package deal at the IH that includes their breakfast buffet every morning...so it is like comparing equally.

I hate making decisions.....I want a hotel in a good location, that includes breakfast, and is nice and comfortable since we will be staying 3 nights!!:D

Well there you go, with that package I know which hotel I would choose....I hope you have a wonderful cruise and don't forget to wave to me, I am about an hour after you sail under the Lions Gate bridge on the starboard side.:)

After reading through some different threads I know, staying closer to Canada Place is mostly suggested. BUT would staying at Hilton Metro be a bad idea? I know google shows about 25 minutes away from airport and about 22 minutes away from Canada Place (to me that is not bad at all). I am getting a rental car and I don't mind driving in traffic.

We are flying out 2 days before our cruise and as of right now the only real plans we have our Robson St and the suspension bridge.

I feel like I got a really good deal on the hotel. My mom WANTS a rental car and doesn't feel comfortable taking shuttles and taxis. So even if I were to get a hotel closer (cost more $$$) I would still need a rental car. I guess my question is, is it really that bad to be that far away from downtown? Will I feel like I am missing something being out of downtown? :confused:

Thanks

The Hilton at Metrotown would not be my first choice but only from a locational point of view. Aside from that and the fact that you want a car you will be absolutely OK with your choice. It's probably just a physiological thing with me but have you looked at some of the hotels in Richmond around YVR?

After reading through some different threads I know, staying closer to Canada Place is mostly suggested. BUT would staying at Hilton Metro be a bad idea? I know google shows about 25 minutes away from airport and about 22 minutes away from Canada Place (to me that is not bad at all). I am getting a rental car and I don't mind driving in traffic.

We are flying out 2 days before our cruise and as of right now the only real plans we have our Robson St and the suspension bridge.

I feel like I got a really good deal on the hotel. My mom WANTS a rental car and doesn't feel comfortable taking shuttles and taxis. So even if I were to get a hotel closer (cost more $$$) I would still need a rental car. I guess my question is, is it really that bad to be that far away from downtown? Will I feel like I am missing something being out of downtown? :confused:

Thanks

If a rental car is non-negotiable, I'd suggest ditch the Metrotown Hilton and save even more by staying near YVR like PD mentions. You can stay in the same chain easily enough, and you're really no further from downtown in terms of drive time. The only benefit of Metrotown Hilton over say Hampton airport is the huge mall if shopping's your thing, but traffic around this part of the Kingsway sucks pretty much all day, every day.

Airport hotels offer free parking as the norm, don't think Metrotown does (there may be a parking-inclusive rate, but still more than just a room). Skytrain station isn't going to be any use to you I wager - if mom doesn't trust taxis, I can't imagine she'll be happy using light rail!

With a car and an open schedule, definitely consider visiting Steveston (very picturesque village south of the city, excellent cannery museum, pretty streets to wander around in) and Queen Elizabeth park as well as Stanley (parking isn't too outrageous at either, and in Stanley you should really take advantage of the 'pay once, park anywhere and move as much as you like' policy - saves walking up some of the steeper slopes!)

Granville Island in theory has a lot of parking, but it's simply never enough in summer. If you choose to drive there expect a lot of crawling along looking for a spot. Ditto around Robson - frankly unless you *need* something from a shop that is only found locally on Robson, I'd drive along it for the view but not even attempt to park.

Since you have a car I'd also go for Lynn Canyon over Capilano - not as fancy, but much quieter and much more natural. Can't beat Free as the entry price either... If heights aren't a problem, then the new Sea to Sky gondola ride might be a good choice too - and you can spend an excellent day traveling up to the Squamish area, visiting a scenic waterfall without any hiking required (short path from parking lot) and a tremendous mining museum en route.

Thank you Putterdude and Martincath for your quick responses. I have decided to cancel the Hilton Metro and look for other options. I see a lot of positives reviews on Blue Horizon and the price seems pretty decent. Thank you again :)

Thank you Putterdude and Martincath for your quick responses. I have decided to cancel the Hilton Metro and look for other options. I see a lot of positives reviews on Blue Horizon and the price seems pretty decent. Thank you again :)

I think that is a very wise decision. The Blue Horizon is very well managed, the rooms are large, clean and comfortable. It's location is excellent in terms of being in the centre of the shops and restaurants of Robson St. An 9 iron to Stanley Park and Canada Place. Most of downtown is very easily walkable from the hotel. If you are keeping the car the it's easy onto Georgia St., over the Lions Gate bridge to Grouse Mountain, the Capilano Suspension bridge or the Lynn Valley suspension.....I don't necessarily disagree with martinc's re the Lynn Valley bridge but the Capilano one remains the fave with tourists. Also while on the North Shore a visit to Light House park in West Vancouver is a good investment of time as is the drive along Marine Drive east thru West Vancover back to the Lions Gate bridge.

BUT would staying at Hilton Metro be a bad idea?
In addition to Kingsway rush hour congestion and extra time required from the airport.... I hate the parking lot the Hilton shares with Crystal Mall. On a busy weekend or evening, you can feel trapped as vehicles alternate back and forth through the narrow ramp turns.

I remember picking up a rental there many years ago and asked the vehicle be brought up to the front entrance.... the agent refused. Basically he did not want to be trapped on those ramps and having customers show up. There's a lot of wall damage by cars unable to make the narrow turns.

Otherwise the hotel is a good 20 minutes downtown by subway or car.

Another vote for Richmond hotels (I like Raddison on Cambie) if you were not going to the Blue Horizon.

Folks do love Blue Horizon, though I can't recall anyone mentioning getting any parking deals (website mentions basic rate with In & Out of $17+tax a day, $21.60 if I'm doing the math right, which is actually not at all bad for downtown).

Unless you're The Hulk, a 9 iron is not going to get you even close to Stanley Park (1.2km or 3/4mile) but if everyone can comfortably walk a mile on the flat, there's not much of downtown that you couldn't walk to easily from BH.

Unless you're The Hulk, a 9 iron is not going to get you even close to Stanley Park (1.2km or 3/4mile)

You're right, I can remember when I lived in the city, I could only hit a 9 iron 1/2 mile but now up on the Sunshine Coast I can hit the same iron 3/4 mile all day long....it must be the lack of pollution.:D