Vancouver Info if needed

"certainly not the drunks, unwahsed and rabid travellers that another visitor to Vancouver claims."

Well as a person WHO WAS BORN AND HAS LIVED ALL OF HIS 67 YEARS in the City of Vancouver unlike the person in the previous post. He has has now re-posted that comment on more than one thread. I do echo those comments about BUS travel through parts of the downtown core - always enjoy the ride on the #14 bus out to East Van and the PNE - people getting on with their bags of bottles to take to the bottle depot - having transit police board the bus to remove a sleeping and smelly passenger and of course those getting on with no obvious form of payment and asking the driver to let them on.

Not everyone is able to push, carry luggage their three or so blocks to the Canada Line Waterfront Station.

Hopefully others were able to answer you question about US Direct etc.

Think I will cruise on out of here and go visit my TA to see about booking a cruise or two.

Cheers!

Dennis

Thanks!! yes.

Seeing how the opinion of a so called "visitor" who was born in Vancouver, raised, worked in the city for 60 years, had a hand in its development and is in the city the city much more frequently than many appreciate continues to be linked by an immigrant poster I thought the much heralded post should be enshrined in this thread where it is much easier for people to read. Further, this would save the immigrant poster time and energy searching for and linking the post:

"While from a practical perspective my taste does not extend to a car service, I do avoid public transit as much as possible. Aside from distasteful aspects of being jostled by drunks, the unwashed and rabid travellers with suitcases the Canada Line for 20 minutes of the 24 minute ride is a subway where your view is dark walls of the tube, I mean you could be anywhere. With a car service or a taxi you get to see Vancouver which is one of the most beautiful cities on the planet. Now I fully appreciate that some people have budgets that must be adhered to but personally I am of the view that if I can afford the cruise I can certainly afford a $35 taxi fare."

Edited by Putterdude

• 4 months later...

Hello.

Trying to figure out options for a September cruise.

We will be arriving by train or bus the night before cruise, from Seattle. Trying to find recommendations for hotels, that won't break the bank, close to the port.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Gina

Hello.

We will be arriving by train or bus the night before cruise, from Seattle. Trying to find recommendations for hotels, that won't break the bank, close to the port.

Gina

Marriott -walk to the pier.

Hello.

Gina

The real issue is that September is no longer a shoulder season for the hotel business in Vancouver....so it is pretty hard to keep that nightly rate a whole lot under $200. I would look at something like the Days Inn on Pender Street, the Blue Horizon on Robson Street or the Best Western-Downtown on Drake Street. If you can get a refundable reservation at one of these hotels then consider making it then watch sites like Hotwire and Priceline for a deal.

The real issue is that September is no longer a shoulder season for the hotel business in Vancouver....so it is pretty hard to keep that nightly rate a whole lot under $200. I would look at something like the Days Inn on Pender Street, the Blue Horizon on Robson Street or the Best Western-Downtown on Drake Street. If you can get a refundable reservation at one of these hotels then consider making it then watch sites like Hotwire and Priceline for a deal.

If the Marriott on Westminster is a good choice, I can reserve (and cancel without penalty) for $150 total, if that seems like a good rate. I suppose I could book and then watch rates.

Thanks,

Gina

No, the hotel would be the Marriott Pinnacle on Hastings Street it and the Renascence across the street would be good choices however they are likely to be over $200/ night.

Ok. Current rate is $399 US. :eek: Being able to walk to pier just lost it's importance, LOL.

Thanks for the info.

Gina

Eeyoregon (a Winnie the Pooh fan originally from one state south by any chance...?) - I'll second the advice to lock in a refundable rate you're comfortable with then keep checking. But NB if you book an airport hotel, you'll have to get from downtown on arrival (both long-distance buses and trains arrive at Pacific Central Station, right on the edge of downtown) - ballpark $30 to an airport hotel by cab or a 2 Zone, $4 Transit ticket.

Plus if it's the evening train it will be after 11pm at best by the time you get through customs & immigration - I really wouldn't recommend adding travel time to the airport onto that. This is one of the situations where the BW+ Uptown, a little further out of downtown from the station, becomes an attractive option - they're usually quite a bit less than downtown hotels and you won't need to worry about the lack of big tourist sites near the hotels as you just want a bed for the night before heading to the pier.

If you're comfortable bidding 'sight unseen' on a hotel the good news is that you cannot get a bad, or badly located, hotel in Downtown or West End of Vancouver under 4* - so throw a few low-ball bids out and see if any get batted back at you (last couple of years we've had a few posters mention the Sheraton Wall Centre for about $130).

Nearer the time of your cruise the nonrefundable rates through Expedia etc. usually offer multiple options at the $150 or less mark in 3* or better downtown hotels. Pretty much any downtown hotel is going to be a $10 cab ride to the pier day of the cruise if it isn't close enough to simply walk.

PD already offered three of the more reasonably-priced downtown hotels - I'll throw the YWCA hotel into the mix as almost certainly the cheapest 'rack rate' hotel with good Tripadvisor ratings. And welcome back PD, it's been a while - I trust many enjoyable cruises and wintering down south have kept you busy?

Eeyoregon (a Winnie the Pooh fan originally from one state south by any chance...?) - I'll second the advice to lock in a refundable rate you're comfortable with then keep checking. But NB if you book an airport hotel, you'll have to get from downtown on arrival (both long-distance buses and trains arrive at Pacific Central Station, right on the edge of downtown) - ballpark $30 to an airport hotel by cab or a 2 Zone, $4 Transit ticket.

Plus if it's the evening train it will be after 11pm at best by the time you get through customs & immigration - I really wouldn't recommend adding travel time to the airport onto that. This is one of the situations where the BW+ Uptown, a little further out of downtown from the station, becomes an attractive option - they're usually quite a bit less than downtown hotels and you won't need to worry about the lack of big tourist sites near the hotels as you just want a bed for the night before heading to the pier.

If you're comfortable bidding 'sight unseen' on a hotel the good news is that you cannot get a bad, or badly located, hotel in Downtown or West End of Vancouver under 4* - so throw a few low-ball bids out and see if any get batted back at you (last couple of years we've had a few posters mention the Sheraton Wall Centre for about $130).

Nearer the time of your cruise the nonrefundable rates through Expedia etc. usually offer multiple options at the $150 or less mark in 3* or better downtown hotels. Pretty much any downtown hotel is going to be a $10 cab ride to the pier day of the cruise if it isn't close enough to simply walk.

PD already offered three of the more reasonably-priced downtown hotels - I'll throw the YWCA hotel into the mix as almost certainly the cheapest 'rack rate' hotel with good Tripadvisor ratings. And welcome back PD, it's been a while - I trust many enjoyable cruises and wintering down south have kept you busy?

LOL! Yes, as a matter of fact. Just moved to Washington after 44 years in Oregon :D.

We might just fly into Vancouver as it's looking cheaper than train, bus or car rental + 1 night hotel options....and much faster.

The bid type hotel sites won't work for us since they only guarantee bedding for 2. I like my friends but not THAT much.

So if we flew in the morning of cruise, I guess we would just take the one-way cruise transfers to the port.

Lot's of time to figure this all out. Thanks for all of the info, everyone!

Gina

Edited by Eeyoregon

The ship's transfer is certainly an option but check their price. A flat rate $35 cab fare will likely be much less when shared with up to 4 people or you can take the Canada Line for $9 per person however this does involve schlepping your luggage several blocks from Waterfront Station to Canada Lace.

LOL! Yes, as a matter of fact. Just moved to Washington after 44 years in Oregon :D.

We might just fly into Vancouver as it's looking cheaper than train, bus or car rental + 1 night hotel options....and much faster.

The bid type hotel sites won't work for us since they only guarantee bedding for 2. I like my friends but not THAT much.

So if we flew in the morning of cruise, I guess we would just take the one-way cruise transfers to the port.

Lot's of time to figure this all out. Thanks for all of the info, everyone!

Gina

Last year, if it helps at all we stayed at the Days Inn Vancouver Downtown. Its a small boutique holiday but clean and friendly. Rooms are only small but it's about a 5 minute walk to Canada Place. We used to walk there most days from the hotel. Offers free breakfast too in it's small basement breakfast room. Will be a lot cheaper than the bigger hotels. This year we are staying at the Delta Vancouver Suites which is even closer to Canada Place. We got a deal on ours in the UK but not sure how much it would be now.

Last year, if it helps at all we stayed at the Days Inn Vancouver Downtown. Its a small boutique holiday but clean and friendly. Rooms are only small but it's about a 5 minute walk to Canada Place. We used to walk there most days from the hotel. Offers free breakfast too in it's small basement breakfast room. Will be a lot cheaper than the bigger hotels. This year we are staying at the Delta Vancouver Suites which is even closer to Canada Place. We got a deal on ours in the UK but not sure how much it would be now.

The Delta Suites and the Days Inn-Downtown are about equal distance to Canada Place. The big difference is the quality of the hotels. The Days Inn is a very old property, by Vancouver standards that is. I had my first real job in the building next door over 50 years ago, the hotel was then known as the Abbotsford Hotel and was old then. The Delta Suites is a relatively new property, was designed and built as a suite hotel and Delta properties are a much higher quality hotel then Days Inns. I am certain that you will love the Delta Suites. That is not to day the Days Inn is bad, it is just fine for a night....but the Delta Suites is just a whole lot nicer.

• 3 months later...

Hi! Our party of 6 will be in Vancouver for 2 days post cruise in august. I just heard that the Entertainment Book is offering great deals on last minute purchases, and I was wondering if anyone knows what attractions/restaurants/etc might be in there. Are there any offers in that book that are not offered everywhere else?

Also, we're torn as to whether to rent a car and get around that way, or the HOHO, etc. We have no personal knowledge of Vancouver and are grateful for all the advice here on CC.

We're all in our 60's and in reasonable shape. One couple will be leaving the first night and the rest staying a second. Is renting a car worth it, or is parking and traffic too much of a hassle?

We're also looking to stay at an airport hotel becasue downtown prices are huge and we have a 6 AM flight out. Are there any decent hotels there that are close to shuttle stops, restaurants, etc?

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

The Entertainment Book is often a good investment if you use it. However two things come to mind, are there books available at this time of the year and you really need to look to see if the coupons have black out dates...often they do have during the summer. Here is a link https://shop.entertainment.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwy7qrBRC4lp7_hM3dgIoBEiQA72pCnsJh_31c0NyHBWLylMPlWT8GKE3veYDSw5Kd6Y7z04AaAhBs8P8HAQ

As for a rental car....most of us Vancouver types discourage it. Vancouver does not have freeways and is becoming less car friendly by the month. Parking at attractions is often hard to find and expensive. Personally I like the HOHO medium and I believe Viatour has a great 2 day offering for the Vancouver Trolley which includes a trip up the Vancouver Lookout. It's basically a 2 for 1 day fare.

Non of the HOHOs go out to Richmond where YVR is located but you can take the Canada Line into the city if your airport hotel is close to a Canada Line station. You will be hard pressed to find a downtown hotel this summer for much under $200 p/n, however you may find the occasional deal on Hotwire and Priceline.

Hi! Our party of 6 will be in Vancouver for 2 days post cruise in august.

Also, we're torn as to whether to rent a car and get around that way, or the HOHO, etc. We have no personal knowledge of Vancouver and are grateful for all the advice here on CC.

We're all in our 60's and in reasonable shape. One couple will be leaving the first night and the rest staying a second. Is renting a car worth it, or is parking and traffic too much of a hassle?

We're also looking to stay at an airport hotel becasue downtown prices are huge and we have a 6 AM flight out. Are there any decent hotels there that are close to shuttle stops, restaurants, etc?

Quality Hotel Vancouver Airport. 3 stars international chain hotel. Only C$88/night + tax non refundable. Free airport shuttle & breakfast. To get around town, catch free shuttle to airport (or ask if driver wpould drop off at nearest skytrain station) then skytrain downtown to sight see and back the same way. Should be doable but check with hotel first to confirm before making reservation.

http://www.qualityhotelvancouverairport.com/

Quality Hotel Vancouver Airport. 3 stars international chain hotel. Only C$88/night + tax non refundable. Free airport shuttle & breakfast. To get around town, catch free shuttle to airport (or ask if driver wpould drop off at nearest skytrain station) then skytrain downtown to sight see and back the same way. Should be doable but check with hotel first to confirm before making reservation.

I would not ask to go to YVR or any Canada Line station on Sea Island as you will be charged an extra $5 airport convenience fee. This fee is only levied going into the city from the YVR, Sea Island and Templeton Stations...see attached link:

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Canada-Line-YVR-AddFare.aspx

I would not ask to go to YVR or any Canada Line station on Sea Island as you will be charged an extra $5 airport convenience fee. This fee is only levied going into the city from the YVR, Sea Island and Templeton Stations...see attached link:

From the link:

Customers who use prepaid fares such as DayPasses, Monthly FareCards, FareSaver tickets, West Coast Express weekly and 28-day passes, U-Passes and Government Bus Passes are exempt from the Canada Line YVR AddFare

Would buying a day pass exempt you from paying the $5 airport added fee? Seems confusing.

Would buying a day pass exempt you from paying the $5 airport added fee? Seems confusing.

Yes, a day would exempt them from the $5 fee. However the ticket vending machines do not sell an all day pass at the 3 stations on Sea Island. This would mean going into YVR and purchasing a day pass at the Pharmasave or 7-11 then going back out to YVR station. So a person would be better off to just have the driver them off at any station in Richmond other than the 3 on Sea Island.

Wow. my mind is being boggled.. Since we're getting off a cruise ship in the AM, is there somewhere near Canada Place where we could buy the Daypass? I can see through your great links that the Daypass can be bought for subsequent days.

Since i have no concept of how far these things really are from each other, would it be an incredible waste of time to: get off cruise ship, go to nearest vendor to purchase Daypasses, go to hotel to drop luggage, go back to Vancouver to pick up HOHO or equivalent?

Is the HOHO even necessary if we have Daypasses?

Hi! Our party of 6 will be in Vancouver for 2 days post cruise in august. I just heard that the Entertainment Book is offering great deals on last minute purchases, and I was wondering if anyone knows what attractions/restaurants/etc might be in there. Are there any offers in that book that are not offered everywhere else?

Hi, here is the coupons Kobe buy one get one free,The French Table,p2b bistro & bar,DA Gino ,Osaka,The American Grill,The Gramercy Grill,Sylvia hotel,Ciiao Bella,Graze,Portobello,Water St Cafe,Zefferellis,Arriva, we pick one up .

Christine

Hi, here is the coupons Kobe buy one get one free,The French Table,p2b bistro & bar,DA Gino ,Osaka,The American Grill,The Gramercy Grill,Sylvia hotel,Ciiao Bella,Graze,Portobello,Water St Cafe,Zefferellis,Arriva, we pick one up .

Christine

fyi... once you have the Entertainment book...

• also get the app and DOUBLE UP especially when you have a large group. The app provides an additional digital coupon that can also be used with the paper coupon.
  • Kobe is popular and reservations are recommended

Go to the https://shop.entertainment.com/ site and then do a search for the Vancouver to get an idea of where the discounts are available.

I agree with Putterdude about the Canada Line surcharge concerns.

The Quality is not one of my preferred hotels to get to downtown attractions. It's simplier to walk to the Brighouse station or bus those two stops than to use the shuttle. Also do some research on that shuttle on how often it runs. I would instead choose the Raddison Vancouver airport that has the Canada Line station across the street (Aberdeen) for a little more.

Edited by xlxo