Vancouver Info if needed

Can anyone suggest something to do in Vancouver for a few hours (5-6)? We dock at 7:00 am and our flight home isn’t until 4:00 pm so we’re looking for something to do to fill in the time. We will have our luggage with us from when we disembark so I’m not quite sure what can be done about that…

Any recommendations will be appreciated, thanks!:)

Can anyone suggest something to do in Vancouver for a few hours (5-6)? We dock at 7:00 am and our flight home isn’t until 4:00 pm so we’re looking for something to do to fill in the time. We will have our luggage with us from when we disembark so I’m not quite sure what can be done about that…

Any recommendations will be appreciated, thanks!:)

On the luggage front you have two realistic options: store it at the pier with Priority Baggage (website has been toast for a while, prices may increase this season but have been stable at $5-7 per bag depending on size for several years) and return for it before you go out to YVR; or ask a bellhop at one of the hotels to look after your bags for the day (a preemptive tip will work wonders).

On the 'what to do for a few hours' front <snark>Vancouver is a world-class city with natural and urban sites galore to explore. If you don't feel like Searching the boards, or even reading back through the thousands of posts on this very thread giving more suggestions than you can shake the proverbial stick at, could you at least give us a few hints about you & your traveling companions preferences?</snark>

I think every local here would agree Stanley Park is awesome and most visitors think it's one of the most Vancouvery things you can do, but if someone in your party hates trees/can't walk far/would rather tour an art gallery even visiting the finest park in the world is going to suck for your group... give me an idea of the kind of things you like to do in & around Ottawa, and I'll happily point you toward the Vancouver equivalent!

On the luggage front you have two realistic options: store it at the pier with Priority Baggage (website has been toast for a while, prices may increase this season but have been stable at $5-7 per bag depending on size for several years) and return for it before you go out to YVR; or ask a bellhop at one of the hotels to look after your bags for the day (a preemptive tip will work wonders).

On the 'what to do for a few hours' front <snark>Vancouver is a world-class city with natural and urban sites galore to explore. If you don't feel like Searching the boards, or even reading back through the thousands of posts on this very thread giving more suggestions than you can shake the proverbial stick at, could you at least give us a few hints about you & your traveling companions preferences?</snark>

I think every local here would agree Stanley Park is awesome and most visitors think it's one of the most Vancouvery things you can do, but if someone in your party hates trees/can't walk far/would rather tour an art gallery even visiting the finest park in the world is going to suck for your group... give me an idea of the kind of things you like to do in & around Ottawa, and I'll happily point you toward the Vancouver equivalent!

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my post. My husband and I are early 60's and have no mobility problems. I realize that Vancouver is a world-class city. I visited there a few times 40+ years ago as my sister used to live in Burnaby. My DH has never been there. I've been to the airport but never to the cruiseport, so I don't know if it's practical (or even possible) to go from the cruiseport to the airport, drop off (or store our luggage) and then go explore for a few hours. Also if it would be better to take a taxi or use the local transportation. When I last visited there was only a bus, but now I understand there is a Skytrain...

I remember Stanley park being beautiful but unfortunately can't remember how far it is. I was also thinking about the Hop on/Hop off bus being a possibility, but there are negative reviews on it (different site) so I thought posting here I might get more opinions/suggestions. Thanks:)

Sorry, I should have been more specific in my post. My husband and I are early 60's and have no mobility problems. I realize that Vancouver is a world-class city. I visited there a few times 40+ years ago as my sister used to live in Burnaby. My DH has never been there. I've been to the airport but never to the cruiseport, so I don't know if it's practical (or even possible) to go from the cruiseport to the airport, drop off (or store our luggage) and then go explore for a few hours. Also if it would be better to take a taxi or use the local transportation. When I last visited there was only a bus, but now I understand there is a Skytrain...

I remember Stanley park being beautiful but unfortunately can't remember how far it is. I was also thinking about the Hop on/Hop off bus being a possibility, but there are negative reviews on it (different site) so I thought posting here I might get more opinions/suggestions. Thanks:)

The same people (Priority Baggage) also run the facility at YVR. Unfortunately your flight is too early to make use of their 'transfer 4 bags to YVR for $40' service, as they won't arrive until after 4pm when you'll already be in the air.

While the Canada Line skytrain does make getting to & from YVR much more convenient, it's still an hour for the round trip - with such a short period available, an unacceptable choice IMO.

Stanley Park is walkable, 45 mins at a leisurely pace (stopping for photos of the mountains, reading the plaques along the Seawall etc.), from Canada Place. Again though, with a short time available I'd recommend getting there fast to maximise time inside the park - local bus 019 is only 500 yards from CP, at Pender & Burrard, and gets you inside the park in 20 mins total.

A HOHO would nicely fit your time-frame, as well as bring you back to CP to collect your bags, and allow a little flexibility in spending time as you choose at the various stops. Tripadvisor paints a distinctly middling picture of all the HOHOs, but read the actual reviews not just the average score - a lot of both 1 and 5 star reviews are frankly nonsense over there, very few experiences are actually near-perfect or nearly-worthless! Also, we have three of them - Trolley, Big Pink, Big Bus. For what it's worth I enjoyed my time on the Trolley HOHO with my parents despite a breakdown and one utterly incompetent driver-guide (didn't even know the local CFL team!).

A straight-up tour, e.g. with Land Sea, may seem a more sensible option as this also allows you to stash your bags under the same bus and get dropped off at YVR all in one package but the value on this is poor IMO at $75 per person, as you could assemble all the components using HOHO (~$40 per person), Bag Storage ($7 per big bag), Skytrain ($4) or taxi ($35, but that's for the whole cab) with more flexibility - and more importantly, not have to hang around until 10am waiting to start the tour!

Since your DH has never visited, a little of everything rather than spending all your time in one place seems logical - and you'll also see a LOT of changes since you last visited.

Yes, there was an earthquake just after 8 pm last evening off the north west coast of Vancouver Island; the quake was of about a 6.6 magnitude. These quakes are not unusual and did virtually no damage and was scarcely felt in Vancouver.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Powerful+earthquake+Northern+Vancouver+Island+shakes+coastal/9769088/story.html

Yes, there was an earthquake just after 8 pm last evening off the north west coast of Vancouver Island; the quake was of about a 6.6 magnitude. These quakes are not unusual and did virtually no damage and was scarcely felt in Vancouver.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Powerful+earthquake+Northern+Vancouver+Island+shakes+coastal/9769088/story.html

It was larger than usual.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

It was larger than usual.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

I am not sure where you are trying to go with this but to answer your question ....yes and no.... over the years there have been numerous quakes off the coast of BC in the past 3 years alone 4 have been greater than 6.0 in magnitude and one greater than 7 in magnitude. I used to work in the 21st floor of an office tower in Vancouver where earthquakes as far away as California would send us swaying....the one last night was no big deal as a matter of fact when it happened it was just enough for me to look at the post and beam construction of the restaurant we were having diner at.;)

The same people (Priority Baggage) also run the facility at YVR. Unfortunately your flight is too early to make use of their 'transfer 4 bags to YVR for $40' service, as they won't arrive until after 4pm when you'll already be in the air.

While the Canada Line skytrain does make getting to & from YVR much more convenient, it's still an hour for the round trip - with such a short period available, an unacceptable choice IMO.

Stanley Park is walkable, 45 mins at a leisurely pace (stopping for photos of the mountains, reading the plaques along the Seawall etc.), from Canada Place. Again though, with a short time available I'd recommend getting there fast to maximise time inside the park - local bus 019 is only 500 yards from CP, at Pender & Burrard, and gets you inside the park in 20 mins total.

A HOHO would nicely fit your time-frame, as well as bring you back to CP to collect your bags, and allow a little flexibility in spending time as you choose at the various stops. Tripadvisor paints a distinctly middling picture of all the HOHOs, but read the actual reviews not just the average score - a lot of both 1 and 5 star reviews are frankly nonsense over there, very few experiences are actually near-perfect or nearly-worthless! Also, we have three of them - Trolley, Big Pink, Big Bus. For what it's worth I enjoyed my time on the Trolley HOHO with my parents despite a breakdown and one utterly incompetent driver-guide (didn't even know the local CFL team!).

A straight-up tour, e.g. with Land Sea, may seem a more sensible option as this also allows you to stash your bags under the same bus and get dropped off at YVR all in one package but the value on this is poor IMO at $75 per person, as you could assemble all the components using HOHO (~$40 per person), Bag Storage ($7 per big bag), Skytrain ($4) or taxi ($35, but that's for the whole cab) with more flexibility - and more importantly, not have to hang around until 10am waiting to start the tour!

Since your DH has never visited, a little of everything rather than spending all your time in one place seems logical - and you'll also see a LOT of changes since you last visited.

Thank you very much for this useful information. I think we will try one of the HOHO tours. It will give my DH an overview of Vancouver...I realize that we won't be able to see it all in this short time frame:)

I'm confused about the 2 HOHOs. Are the Big Bus and the Big Pink the same company? I've read several boards and it seems as though they're different...although that might have been in the past and now they're combined:confused: The price is the same, the route is the same and when I click on the link I see icons for both on the route map. Thanks for helping me to clarify this:)

http://bigbus.ca/home/route-map

Yes it appears that they are - there has been some consolidation in the industry and it took a little sleuthing to find the answer - if you click on the contact info on the Big Bus web site it will show a link info@westcoastsighting - they are the parent company that now has the Gray Line operation here in Vancouver and the Pink Bus is associated with Gray Line in most cities that I have visited.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Dennis

We are arriving by air on May 24 at 11:30 am. What is the best transportation from the airport to the Marriott Pinnacle? What should we do the rest of the day. We want to go to Granville Island. What time should we go to the Oosterdam the next day? Can we walk from our hotel to the ship with one wheeled bag and a backpack? Thanks for any info.

We are arriving by air on May 24 at 11:30 am. What is the best transportation from the airport to the Marriott Pinnacle? What should we do the rest of the day. We want to go to Granville Island. What time should we go to the Oosterdam the next day? Can we walk from our hotel to the ship with one wheeled bag and a backpack? Thanks for any info.

On a Saturday you can use the whole transit system cheaply - getting to the hotel on Skytrain will cost $7.75 ($6.75 if you're over 65) and is very convenient (assuming you can walk 600 yards on basically level sidewalks).

Walking back to the pier will have the same requirement - actually very slightly less walking than from Skytrain to the hotel.

If that walk is beyond you, or you just feel like taking a cab, assume c.$35 from YVR to hotel and $5 from hotel to Canada Place if you get off outside and walk in (the queue for taxis to get from the street down to the passenger & bag dropoff area will probably double your cab fare).

To Granville Island from the Pinnacle involves a longer walk:

1.5 miles if you use one of the small ferries to get across False Creek;

2.5 miles if you cross Granville Bridge on foot, or Burrard Bridge (better IMO - superior views, more substantial-feeling bridge, separated bikes/cars/people)

Cab will cost c. $10-12 each way, or the 50 bus gets you within a quarter mile of the island proper (take the 19 bus from within a block of your hotel & transfer) - if you check-in, drop your bags and head right out you won't even need another ticket as they're good for 90 minutes so your Skytrain trip ticket will still be valid.

Remember you'll be a couple of hours out of whack on your body clocks, which combined with a few hours on plane(s) probably means that after a leisurely few hours at Granville Island and some dinner you won't feel up to doing much else - but if you do, a walk along the Seawall from near your hotel to Stanley Park could be a pleasant leg-stretch. Sticking next to the water, stopping for photos, assume an hour rather than the assumed Google pace 45 minutes if you go all the way out to the Totem Poles.

Time to board? Do the same as you would on any other cruise - you will have a little longer to queue than for say the Caribbean as you need to go through US Immigration as well as the regular Security at Canada Place.

Personally I'd board a bit later, after the queues have died down, which also gives you a morning to wander around Gastown - you can drop your bags at the pier on the way. Seeing the Steam Clock and Gassy Jack is a legal requirement for all Vancouver visitors. We won't let you board the ship unless you do... ;)

We are in our 50's and walking is no problem. If we walk to or from Granville are there things we should see on the way from the Marriott Pinnacle?

Even though you're good with walking the route I'd suggest from the Pinnacle to Granville Island would still be via the little ferries that ply False Creek. They're fun, and while they are really pricey compared to buses the short hop I mention below will only cost a few bucks. Google map appears at the end. If it's a nice day and you like taking photos then it could be worth returning via Granville or Burrard bridges - there are some nice photo opportunities.

First, head east along Hastings (turn right outside the hotel front door) to Burrard - the Marine Building here is absolutely gorgeous. Pop inside the lobby, jump in an elevator (they're all slightly different designs inside) to the Mezzanine and walk around that. It's pretty small but all the little touches make it worth the wander - a truly unique sealife-meets-art-deco design. I can't recommend the Elephant & Castle pub in the building for food, beer or service but they do have some interesting photos on the walls of the construction of the building.

Next you hang another right down Burrard. Some pretty boring looking giant glass & steel buildings here, but there's an excellent piece of outdoor art that's worth seeing at the Bentall Centre just after the first tower - a piece by Alan Storey (the website linked has basically all of our outdoor art listed and searchable by neighbourhood, artist, type, name of piece - it's very handy). If you watch for a minute you'll see the boxes move up & down on the frames - and if you stand under them, you'll see little lights in changing patterns. The boxes match the buildings elevator positions, and the lights are from sensors in the elevator floors showing the passengers feet (and apparently during at least one office Christmas party some other body parts too!)

You should also see another popular local sight right in front of the tower - a Japadog trailer! Unless you have some dietary restriction preventing the consumption of hotdogs, give these guys a go. You'll probably be ready for some food if you've just checked-in to your hotel - I recommend the Kurobuta Terimayo. Have a munch while your watch the art move, then carry on...

Continue down Burrard until Georgia and turn left - you're passing between the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver and Cathedral Place. The latter had it's roof designed to match the roofline and colour of the former (at the time, aged copper). During renos they replaced the FHV roof with aluminum, and used the shade of the CP roof to match it so now they are identically-coloured again.

It's worth going inside the FHV - turn left in the main lobby along the large corridor and check out the historic photo gallery of all the other hotels of the same name. You pop back out onto Hornby, at the Vancouver Art Gallery (nice old building, pleasant fountain & square, was the main site of the Occupy Vancouver movement a while back).

Continue south (turn right) down Hornby - you'll pass Robson Square just the other side of the VAG. This is an Arthur Erickson design that incorporates interestingly shaped outdoor space (popular for concerts, movies etc. in summer) onto one end of what leads down to the law courts at the other. The whole thing is basically a high rise building laid on its side. You can walk over a lot of the top surfaces, there are paths & water features.

The south end of this complex is on Nelson Street - walk right (west) along Nelson and you'll pass a rather odd-shaped building, the Electra, filling the block between Hornby and Burrard. The full story is in the link - it was built as the HQ of our provincial electricity generating authority and later turned into condos. Still a unique building and very modern-looking today!

Turn left back onto Burrard and continue south - you're passing St Pauls Hospital, one of the oldest in the city. The historic wings are fairly attractive red/brown brick, but there are a lot of more modern chunks. In winter they display a huge amount of seasonal lights that are quite impressive, but for now keep going until you get to the large urban garden at Burrard & Davie.

The Davie Village Community Garden is one of many spaces round the city where you can register for an allotment and grow your own veggies, flowers etc. It looks MUCH nicer now than in the construction photos in the linked article! This part of Davie is also the beginning of Davie Village, a long-time LGBT-friendly community. Late May you're way too early for the Pride Parade, but it's always one of the more eclectic areas for people-watching.

Take another left then right to get back onto Hornby, then continue down all the way to the water - you'll easily spot the Aquabus dock. Hop on and go across to Granville Island ($3.50pp, every 7 minutes), or take one of their 25 minute 'mini cruises' around False Creek for $8pp - this is a couple of bucks less than a return trip to the most distant stop down at the Athlete's Village, but you can't get off.

Keep your camera at the ready or just soak in the view - the number of people walking/jogging/cycling the Seawall is very weather-dependent, but you'll always see a few regardless. Lots of birds - mostly the boring ones, corvidae & gulls, but there's often a Heron and some cormorants around too. Recently we had some dolphins, there have been a few seals around for a long time (thought they usually avoid the ferry routes), and we even got a whale four years back - thanks to some cunning tweaks to the dock pilings the herring population is beginning to expand again, which brings in the predators. Eventually I'm hoping to see Orcas from my window;-)

I like this walk as it's literally just two blocks out of your way from the most direct route but takes in several important (architecturally, historically or both) buildings and shows you some of the things that make Vancouver Vancouver.

Edited by martincath
changed text colour so links stood out more

"Take another left then right to get back onto Hornby, then continue down all the way to the water" and pass by the Urban Trekker's condo.

Cheers!

Dennis

Tsk-tsk. Once again I forgot the most significant building in Vancouver! Sorry UT;-)

HOHO (Hop on/Hop off) Tour Vancouver

Information 1-877-451-1777

The companies below are all the same company now:

Big Pink Bus

Grey Line Sightseeing

West Coast Sightseeing

Big Bus

The cost is $40.00 per person CDN

You can hop on or hop off as many times as you like. They do not provide luggage service. But there is a luggage service at the cruise port provided by WestCoast Sightseeing (look for the “Port Desk”). You check your luggage in with them and they transfer it to the airport for you and you pick it up there. The cost is $40.00 for up to 4 pieces of luggage.

Hope this information is helpful to others as I did a lot of calling around to find this out.:D

I know that we are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine (1 each) on board the ship with us to enjoy in our cabin, but I don't know where I can buy it. We can't bring it with us on the plane in our carry-on and I'm afraid to pack it in our checked in luggage in case they break. We are taking a domestic flight (Ottawa to Vancouver) so we won't have access to a duty-free shop.

Can anyone suggest where we can purchase a couple of bottles? Is there a store in or around the airport or cruise port?

Thanks for your help:)

I know that we are allowed to bring 2 bottles of wine (1 each) on board the ship with us to enjoy in our cabin, but I don't know where I can buy it. We can't bring it with us on the plane in our carry-on and I'm afraid to pack it in our checked in luggage in case they break. We are taking a domestic flight (Ottawa to Vancouver) so we won't have access to a duty-free shop.

Can anyone suggest where we can purchase a couple of bottles? Is there a store in or around the airport or cruise port?

Thanks for your help:)

1) At the airport on the lowest level (one below domestic luggage claim) there is a small liquor store, although prices aren't that great, but maybe 1-2$ more than suggestion #2

2) BC Liquor Store, across the street from the main entrance of Waterfront Station. Get off Skytrain, exit down the tunnel into the station complex, exit onto the street, and it's across the street slightly to your left in the bottom of "Harbour Centre" at the corner of Seymour and Cordova

What is the best way to go to Granville Island from Pacific Central Station with the least amount of walking. We know where the Skytrain Station is across the street from Pacific Central Station.

The last time we did this we took the Skytrain to a station close to The Roundhouse then a ferry to Granville Island, but I don't recall the station name.

Thanks for the info.