Vancouver Info if needed

. A most Perfect Reply! I went on youtube and saw exactly where the ramp is:
I have copied replies and already put in my wallet. It was be easy and most pleasurable! Thanks again.

Even in that video it's hard to see the passenger entrance on foot. it's between the ramp going down, and the staircase immediately to the left of that.

As for getting Blue downtown, any restaurant should have it, or there's a Liquor store at the corner of Seymour & W.Cordova. However, I think the FatBurger (that replaced Ricky's) has it; I'll be there on Monday, so I'll check for you.

As for getting Blue downtown, any restaurant should have it, or there's a Liquor store at the corner of Seymour & W.Cordova. However, I think the FatBurger (that replaced Ricky's) has it; I'll be there on Monday, so I'll check for you.

THANK YOU so much, I appreciate you getting back to me.

Scottbee, Putterdude, Martincath --- thank you all for your input on "Ricky's," I appreciate it.

...looking forward to dining at Ricky's as this is the only place that we were able to find that served Labatts Blue --- we can't get it where we live ...

You're very welcome - but as SB already mentioned, if Labatt Blue is the reason you needed to find Ricky's again then you don't need to worry - it's one of the most common beers in Canada, if memory serves second only in volume of sales to Molson Canadian among domestic brands (though Bud and Coors Lite are even bigger sellers).

Gosh, thank you very much Scottbee and Putterdude. A most Perfect Reply! I went on youtube and saw exactly where the ramp is:
I have copied your replies and already put in my wallet. It was be easy and most pleasurable! Thanks again.

Thank you for the link to the youtube video, I hadn't seen it before and it certainly shows pretty graphically where the pedestrian access is....a picture is worth a thousand words.

We are getting the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver at the beginning of September. Our TA has booked us onto the Westin Grand for a few days pre cruise. How far is the Amtrak station to the Westin Grand and how far is the hotel from Canada Place? Can we walk or should we organise a taxi for both trips?

You're very welcome - but as SB already mentioned, if Labatt Blue is the reason you needed to find Ricky's again then you don't need to worry - it's one of the most common beers in Canada, if memory serves second only in volume of sales to Molson Canadian among domestic brands (though Bud and Coors Lite are even bigger sellers).

LB is the only reason we wanted to find Ricky's. When we were in Vancouver we didn't see the beer listed on the menus of a couple of the restaurants that we went to --- Ricky's was the only one that had it so that is why we were seeking it out.

We are getting the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver at the beginning of September. Our TA has booked us onto the Westin Grand for a few days pre cruise. How far is the Amtrak station to the Westin Grand and how far is the hotel from Canada Place? Can we walk or should we organise a taxi for both trips?

The Westin Grand is a little further than you will care to walk from the Amtrak station...plan that a cab fare will be in the $10 to $12 range....there will be a cab line in front of the station. The walk from hotel to Canada Place is about 20 mins slightly down hill and can be walked if you wish....a cab fare will be about $10 and there should be a cab line there as well, if not the doorman will call one for you. Enjoy your visit to Vancouver and your cruise.

LB is the only reason we wanted to find Ricky's. When we were in Vancouver we didn't see the beer listed on the menus of a couple of the restaurants that we went to --- Ricky's was the only one that had it so that is why we were seeking it out.

You may have simply chosen MillerCoors-linked pubs - while the ridiculously-complex UK laws of Tied Houses don't apply over here, it's still very rare to find a bar stocking both a range of AB InBev and MillerCoors products due to various marketing deals the breweries use linking discounted prices of volume of sales.

Since both companies are multinationals offering a vast array of beers the overwhelming majority of bars & restaurants tend to stick with one of these conglomerates, perhaps carrying a few bottled brands from the other company. Completely independent small places who can't get much of a discount regardless are the best bet to stock draft product from both firms, but that's still fairly unusual.

If you see draft Budweiser or Stella, you're in an AB InBev place - these guys also own Labatt; draft Coors, Miller or Molson pegs it as a MillerCoors bar. While AB InBev are the largest beer company on the planet by a hefty margin, in North America MC is comparable in size so randomly trying even three bars gives you a pretty reasonable chance of only seeing one set of products. There's also the fact that since BC had it's own local breweries back in the day, when they've been bought up by one of the conglomerates they might continue selling a local brand lager instead of Labatt or Molson who are seen as 'eastern' brands by a lot of folks. Kokanee or (very common in Vancouver) Granville Island lagers might be on draft, and unless the bar is really big they're not going to have 2 Canadian lagers competing with each other...

Unfortunately since I avoid macro-lagers like the proverbial plague I don't pay attention to which chain bars & restaurants stock which mega-brewery products, but I'm almost certain that the Lennox at Granville & Robson does stock Labatt product.

A map showing all three spots and the shortest walking route between them.

Change the route options to Car to see cab routes; Transit option unfortunately only works between two points so you'd need to look at station-hotel and hotel-pier separately.

As PD said, the walk to the hotel is longer - it's also kinda boring on the shortest route, and while walking along the Seawall then up past the stadium onto Robson would be very scenic for the first part, schlepping cases around would not be how I'd choose to do it. I'd go with a cab to the hotel myself, as with even three of you sharing it might be as cheap as transit, then walk to the pier if you can handles your cases for a little under mile on decent sidewalks.

You may have simply chosen MillerCoors-linked pubs - while the ridiculously-complex UK laws of Tied Houses don't apply over here, it's still very rare to find a bar stocking both a range of AB InBev and MillerCoors products due to various marketing deals the breweries use linking discounted prices of volume of sales.

Since both companies are multinationals offering a vast array of beers the overwhelming majority of bars & restaurants tend to stick with one of these conglomerates, perhaps carrying a few bottled brands from the other company. Completely independent small places who can't get much of a discount regardless are the best bet to stock draft product from both firms, but that's still fairly unusual.

If you see draft Budweiser or Stella, you're in an AB InBev place - these guys also own Labatt; draft Coors, Miller or Molson pegs it as a MillerCoors bar. While AB InBev are the largest beer company on the planet by a hefty margin, in North America MC is comparable in size so randomly trying even three bars gives you a pretty reasonable chance of only seeing one set of products. There's also the fact that since BC had it's own local breweries back in the day, when they've been bought up by one of the conglomerates they might continue selling a local brand lager instead of Labatt or Molson who are seen as 'eastern' brands by a lot of folks. Kokanee or (very common in Vancouver) Granville Island lagers might be on draft, and unless the bar is really big they're not going to have 2 Canadian lagers competing with each other...

Unfortunately since I avoid macro-lagers like the proverbial plague I don't pay attention to which chain bars & restaurants stock which mega-brewery products, but I'm almost certain that the Lennox at Granville & Robson does stock Labatt product.

Thanks for the information, I think we have passed the Lennox before -- will have to check it out.

Agree with the others - take a cab or Skytrain from Pacific Central Station ( Amtrak) to your hotel.

While I have walked home along the seawall to my condo most people wouldn't want to lug their luggage that far a similar distance.

The one time I did it I only had a small suitcase so it wasn't much of an ordeal.

Cheers

Dennis

A map showing all three spots and the shortest walking route between them.

Change the route options to Car to see cab routes; Transit option unfortunately only works between two points so you'd need to look at station-hotel and hotel-pier separately.

As PD said, the walk to the hotel is longer - it's also kinda boring on the shortest route, and while walking along the Seawall then up past the stadium onto Robson would be very scenic for the first part, schlepping cases around would not be how I'd choose to do it. I'd go with a cab to the hotel myself, as with even three of you sharing it might be as cheap as transit, then walk to the pier if you can handles your cases for a little under mile on decent sidewalks.

I'm not sure that's the walking route I'd take. I'd probably (given the elevation change), use the elevator in front of Costco (Expo Blvd, under the Dunsmuir viaduct) and take that up in order to get up the level of Robson street, rather than the walk around BC Place.

I'm not sure that's the walking route I'd take. I'd probably (given the elevation change), use the elevator in front of Costco (Expo Blvd, under the Dunsmuir viaduct) and take that up in order to get up the level of Robson street, rather than the walk around BC Place.

Google is generally iffy on pedestrian-accessible elevators, staircase & carpark shortcuts but in this case despite the fact they still ignore the Costco elevator (I emailed them about it at the same time I asked them to add the steps from outside T&T up to Dunsmuir & Beatty - they did add the latter) they're actually correct. My wife walks daily to work along almost this exact route and has tried literally every possible combo of remotely plausible routes.

Based on timing her very consistent pace on several days for each route to allow for fluctuations at button-controlled-crosswalks, which floor that elevator is on at arrival etc. - she's a long-distance runner and walker, tracks all her walking with stopwatch & pedometer, and crunches stats for a living - Costco elevator route adds approx. 1 minute to her commute, even when cutting diagonally across the carpark outside Rogers Arena from Pacific to Expo and again across the other car park on the Beatty-Cambie-Dunsmuir-Georgia block.

It's actually quicker walking up Main and onto either of the viaduct sidewalks from there than going via Costco, though it's very unpleasant during peak commuter traffic. The elevator does cut out some uphill walking of course, so perhaps a particularly heavy suitcase might make things a wash;-)

Edit: I should add that I also thought the Costco elevator would be the fastest route until she proved me wrong!

Edited by martincath

Google is generally iffy on pedestrian-accessible elevators, staircase & carpark shortcuts but in this case despite the fact they still ignore the Costco elevator (I emailed them about it at the same time I asked them to add the steps from outside T&T up to Dunsmuir & Beatty - they did add the latter) they're actually correct. My wife walks daily to work along almost this exact route and has tried literally every possible combo of remotely plausible routes.

Based on timing her very consistent pace on several days for each route to allow for fluctuations at button-controlled-crosswalks, which floor that elevator is on at arrival etc. - she's a long-distance runner and walker, tracks all her walking with stopwatch & pedometer, and crunches stats for a living - Costco elevator route adds approx. 1 minute to her commute, even when cutting diagonally across the carpark outside Rogers Arena from Pacific to Expo and again across the other car park on the Beatty-Cambie-Dunsmuir-Georgia block.

It's actually quicker walking up Main and onto either of the viaduct sidewalks from there than going via Costco, though it's very unpleasant during peak commuter traffic. The elevator does cut out some uphill walking of course, so perhaps a particularly heavy suitcase might make things a wash;-)

Edit: I should add that I also thought the Costco elevator would be the fastest route until she proved me wrong!

I was thinking with a suitcase in hand when I made the statement; all that being said, I'd likely take a taxi. The hotel is perfectly between stops on Skytrain, and a taxi is going to be very inexpensive.

Question for Vancouver friends: we are on a back to back cruise which will be in Vancouver from 8-5 in June while others are boarding. What recommendations would you give got a family of 5 ( boys aged 12,9,5). I saw the science museum and aquarium, but they look like they are in opposite directions. Are either walkable from the pier? Other ideas? Would there be things to do in Stanley park?

Thanks in advance.

Tessa

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

... What recommendations would you give got a family of 5 ( boys aged 12,9,5). I saw the science museum and aquarium, but they look like they are in opposite directions. Are either walkable from the pier? Other ideas?

The Aquarium is in Stanley Park - near the entrance. Walkable? For anyone without mobility issues, yes, but your five year old will slow the pace - here's a Google map from the pier to Aquarium and back. One way is the shortest (pretty boring) route, the other is all via the Seawall (views, and easier to follow as you're always next to the water). Approx 3 kilometers/2 miles shortest, extra ~500 meters/yards along the seawall. With a small child, stopping for photos etc. I'd count on an hour to walk.

Bus is quick and easy, but with your family it would be even quicker & cheaper to get a cab - since most of folks will be disembarking the cab queue inside the pier will be big, so go upstairs into the Pan Pacific Hotel and get one there. To the park entrance area should be c. $10, a buck or so extra to get right to the aquarium. Just having the driver make a loop around the roadways inside the park would be a quick way to tour the outskirts - even with the very restricted speed limit it will be much less than paying for the park shuttle @ $30 for your family (and it won't run until June 21st, may be after you are in town).

Other than the aquarium, have a look at the park website - also Klahowya village (not listed on park website, they take over the train and an area around it during the summer) is interesting and should be well up & running by June.

Science World is OK, but frankly we've preferred every other one we've been to - and there are plenty around. Stanley Park OTOH is unique to Vancouver, and the aquarium is one of few that have any whales and even fewer with Belugas (ethical concerns aside, I've never seen a kid not love the whales, or the dolphin show).

Other things - unless the kids are unusually keen on history, Gastown and Chinatown will be a bit of a bust (although the Steam Clock is popular with folks of all ages, and is easily walked to and back to the pier in under 20 minutes even with little 'uns in tow).

Mink Chocolates does some great chocolate bars, fondues & hot chocolate (as well as coffee) and is just a few hundred yards from Canada Place for a slightly-different treat (the 38% cacao hot choc is much more accessible to a childs palate than the 70%). Rogers is en route to the Steam Clock, and a bit of a west coast institution.

If you'd consider a longer trip, the North Shore attractions (Grouse Mountain and Capilano Bridge) are pretty popular with kids, but not cheap and require at least 30-45 mins each way for travel.

Edited by martincath
Correcting Links

Thanks so much martincath! I have copied your post and the map you supplied as well as gone to the link and copied things from there. You have officially become our Vancouver tour guide. Where should I leave the tip? :)

We will take the sea wall to Stanley park and save the science museum for back up plans.

Love these boards and all the helpful posts!!

TEssa

Thanks so much martincath! I have copied your post and the map you supplied as well as gone to the link and copied things from there. You have officially become our Vancouver tour guide. Where should I leave the tip? :)

We will take the sea wall to Stanley park and save the science museum for back up plans.

Love these boards and all the helpful posts!!

TEssa

You're most welcome. Have a look at BCHappygals big-list-o'stuff-to-do as well, it might spark some ideas.

We arrive at YVR airport on Sat April 26 about 1 pm, need to get to the Holiday Inn & Suites downtown at 1110 Howe St. Is the Skytrain too far from the hotel considering we will have luggage for a week cruise? I don't quite follow it but it appears we could end up at Granville at Nelson St which looks close.

Thanks for any help!

You will come out from the Vancouver Center Canada Line station at Georgia and Granville - turn left or west on Georgia for one block to Howe then turn left again and it's four level blocks to your hotel.

If you have wheeled luggage you shouldn't have a problem going that short distance.

Hope this helps

Cheers!

Dennis

We arrive at YVR airport on Sat April 26 about 1 pm, need to get to the Holiday Inn & Suites downtown at 1110 Howe St. Is the Skytrain too far from the hotel considering we will have luggage for a week cruise? I don't quite follow it but it appears we could end up at Granville at Nelson St which looks close.

Thanks for any help!

If you used Google Maps Transit option, it may have you transferring to a bus along Granville to Nelson - there is a stop there, but the hassle of getting your bags on and off a city bus for such a short ride is definitely not worth the effort. It may also show that walking from Yaletown-Roundhouse, a stop earlier on the Canada Line, is shorter - it is, but it's uphill.

Follow UT's route above with wheely cases; if the weather sucks or your suitcases are hard to handle, Yaletown-Roundhouse has a taxi rank right outside - you could toss all your bags in a cab even if all the people don't fit, pay the c. $5 to get to the HI and any folks who don't fit walk up the hill without luggage to worry about.

Hello! I have read through a bit of this forum and some others so I have an idea of what there is to do in Vancouver, just not sure how much time the activities will take and what would be the best use of our time. We are driving up from Seattle in a rental mini van and expect to be in Vancouver by around 2:00 pm the day before our cruise. We will have all afternoon to explore and eat dinner before returning the mini van to the airport (using the SkyTrain to get back to the Best Western Plus Downtown on Drake St). Then we will have all the next morning to eat breakfast and do some sight seeing before we catch our hotel shuttle to the Ballantyne Pier for our cruise departure. Using the Vancouver Trolley sounds like a great way to see the city, but do we have long enough to explore the whole route? We could get the 2 day for 1 day price if we buy online and explore some the first night and some the next morning... Is this realistic? Also, since we will have the mini van we could drive over to Grouse Mountain or the Capilano Suspension Bridge the first day. Or we could drive over to Stanley Park and explore that area the first day and then the next morning just walk around from our hotel. We have 6 adults and 1 toddler in our group. Any thoughts or recommendations for us?? How should we use our time to see the most of this great city?? Thank you!!

Edited by Eventer84

The other (much less expensive option) would be to basically drive the route of the trolley with the mini van and stopping at the big highlights, giving ourselves a self tour. How difficult is it to find parking mid week if we chose to do it this way?? How long would this take?? Thanks again!

The issue with trying to drive the HOHOs route is lack of parking so I would discourage that. With the mini-van you could use it to get over to the north shore and take in the Capilano Suspension Bridge but by the time you check into the hotel and get to the bridge you would likely have time for that or Grouse Mtn but really not both....so perhaps in the early evening some time in Stanley Park might be in order. The next morning you could take transit to Granville Is or perhaps Gastown. While I am a big fan of HOHOs, I don't see how one would really have much value to you given you have only two half days.