Poseidon

jingming

Although I loved the original, I was impressed with the special effects of the remake. If ever in that situation, I'm gonna align myself with some smart architect, ex-mayor, or Navy seal, 'cause we're not getting out on my amazing ingenuity (or lack of) :D .

I don't believe any of the threads were deleted... just combined.

You have to remember that some members only read one part of the forum whether it be Carnival, or Celebrity etc.. they don't post or read in the other areas which is the main reason the multiple threads on the same topic appear across the board.

I've seen all 3 movies. To me the original one was the best. I loved Shelly Winters character. The other one was almost 3 hours long and it had terroists being the reason the ship turns over.

So over Mother's Day weekend we went to see the new one at an IMAX theater near us.

It's really something for that 5 minutes or so were you see the rogue wave coming in and then hitting. It does give you the chills and then they go "overboard" (sorry couldn't help the pun) with all the grissly destruction. But after that the story line just gets lost in a menagerie of flipping back and forth from one "crisis" to another.

What really got me was after all our guest left Mother's day, that night I turned on the HIstory Channel and there was the 1 hours special on Rogue Waves and the destruction it has done and how there really isn't much warning when some of them hit.

I've sailed on the Adventure of the Seas and Grandeur and am lining up a cruise to Alaska next summer...so (and this is after the ship I was to sail to to the Caribbean on Star Princess had that nasty fire).

I figure when your time is up...it's up, no matter where you are!

So til' then keep cruisin'!!!

I saw it in the IMAX theater it was great. I didn't see the first one but now I want to see that one also. My big question is did they use a real ship to film this or was it CGI?

One of the folks I work with saw the trailer at the moves last week and canceled her first cruise that had taken years to get the courage up to book:rolleyes:

I heard that one of the captains of one of the cruise ship saw it and decided to take an early retirement and settled on a ranch.

OK movie but I certainly liked the original better since this one takes itself so seriously.

As far as the science of a huge tsunami capsizing the ship in open ocean, forget it. Tsunamis travel virtually undetected in open ocean and don't really show up until they approach shallower water near land. In reality, the Poseidon would have sailed right over the seismic wave with barely a ripple.

Of course, then you'd have no multi million dollar movie with tons of computer-generated special effects.

Avoiding a cruise because of POSEIDON is equivalent to staying away from the midwest due to tornadoes or Disney World in the fall due to hurricanes.

As far as the science of a huge tsunami capsizing the ship in open ocean, forget it. Tsunamis travel virtually undetected in open ocean and don't really show up until they approach shallower water near land. In reality, the Poseidon would have sailed right over the seismic wave with barely a ripple.

Of course, then you'd have no multi million dollar movie with tons of computer-generated special effects.

Avoiding a cruise because of POSEIDON is equivalent to staying away from the midwest due to tornadoes or Disney World in the fall due to hurricanes.

Just so you know....your facts are quite a bit off. First...The movie was not about a tsunami. The film was about a rogue wave. An entirely different (and proven) phenominon.

Now, I'm not saying that the movie was scientifically accurate...but rogue waves ARE possible, and DO happen.

Among passenger vessels damaged by rogue waves:

Norwegian Dawn (80 foot wave)

Bremen (98 foot )

Caledonian Star (100 foot)

Queen Elizabeth 2 (90 footer)

Also, The cargo ship München sank with all hands lost in 1978. attributed to a rogue wave

In three weeks of satellite data taken in 2001, researchers found 10 waves in various parts of the world that were more than 82 feet (25 meters) high.

http://www.dockwalk.com/issues/2003/january/wave1.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/news/science/2004-07-23-wave-theory_x.htm

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEMOKQL26WD_index_0.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freak_wave

However, that said....staying away from cruising just because of a movie makes about as much sense as not taking the bus because of the movie Speed.

• 2 weeks later...

I work in the medical field and I see how life can change from one minute to the next. I am already scared of planes I am not going to let anything now scare me of ships. I am actually planning a long plane ride next year and nothing is going to keep me from it. We cant live life worrying about any little detail about what can happen, all of the sudden you find yourself with an illness and there goes everything. I am taking my second cruise this year and I am not worry about waves or anything else for that matter.,:) :D ;)

I saw The Poseidon Adventure in the seventies. It was a very good movie with much action, good actors, and a fascinating premise. I do not plan to see remake. Why not? Well, it's not because of fear. After all, I read Robin Cook's "Coma" the night before I had surgery!!

I went to see the "Poseidon" yesterday. It was great. It is nothing like the original with Shelley Winters. Of course the only thing the two have in common is the ship turning upside down and some of the passengers trying to get through the bottom of the ship. After the movie was over, my friend asked me if this has ever happened in real life. I don't think so. During the movie, I was thinking, would I be able to survive something like that. I have been on 18 cruises and the only time there was any danger was when we were in New Zealand cruising to Australia. On day three we ran into a tropical storm and there were HUGE waves. You should see the picture I got that the photographer took. When we arrived in Sydney, we were told that the ship could have turned over (Sky Princess). Everyone on board started calling it the "Skytanic". But getting back to the movie, when they showed the shot of the people in the glass elevators going up and down then the wave hitting, I thought, I don't think I will use the elevators for a while on a ship. It reminded me of the NCL Star last year. They looked like the same elevators. For someone who has not cruised, they should not see this movie. My niece is looking forward to the cruise to Alaska next year, but she saw the movie and is rethinking about going now. There were times I had to look away or cover my eyes. Some of the scenes were phony, but some of them look so real. I give it a thumbs up.

Archived