Cruising during hurricane season?

bride93006

For our honeymoon, my FI and I are wanting to take a cruise to the Caribbean. Our honeymoon will be during the first week of October, which is during hurricane season!

As someone who knows NOTHING about cruises, I wonder what happens if we plan a cruise and a hurricane comes along?

I'm concerned about planning a cruise during that time, but my FI does not seem concerned at all.

Help!!! Is it okay to plan our honeymoon cruise during prime hurricane season??

Thanks!

Bride,

I want to be honest with you. We've been on two cruises. ONe was Oct 11, 2003 and the other in September 2004. Both times we had hurricanes to deal with, sort of. First one we went from NYC to Bermuda and our first cruise, first night at sea and we were in tropical storm Marty. We were told that we were dealing with 11 foot swells. September 2004 cruise was to be from Miami to Nassau, but hurricane Jeanne was there so we were 35 miles from Cuba. I'm not saying there is a 100% chance of being in a hurricane or being diverted because of one. It's just that you have to be really flexible. We heard that one of the cruises before us going to Bermuda never made it, the ship wound up going to Canada. So if you can deal with whatever you have to, then enjoy the cruise wherever it takes you. By the way, some of the people on the Nassau cruise were leftovers from a cruise earlier in the month when they found their cruise cancelled due to a hurricane. So they made it on our cruise only to sail around the Gulf of Mexico for 3 days and never did they see Nassau.

-Jo

• 2 weeks later...
For our honeymoon, my FI and I are wanting to take a cruise to the Caribbean. Our honeymoon will be during the first week of October, which is during hurricane season! As someone who knows NOTHING about cruises, I wonder what happens if we plan a cruise and a hurricane comes along? I'm concerned about planning a cruise during that time, but my FI does not seem concerned at all. Help!!! Is it okay to plan our honeymoon cruise during prime hurricane season?? Thanks!

I would not worry about it. Go with the flow. If there is a hurricane, the cruise line will certainly not put you in danger. They will divert, so you Caribbean cruise may become a New England cruise as one poster mentioned. Another aspect to consider is Hurricanes can prevent a ship from reaching disembark / embarkation port on time, thus extending one cruise and shortening another. If you end up on the shortened cruise, there is a consideration provided.

So if you are flexible go for it. Those that plan family reunions, weddings, etc based on their itineary can be disappointed if diverted, but that does not sound like your situation.

Have a great cruise....;)

Just go for it. I will be sailing the first week of October as well. I have been on a cruise basically the same time last year and it was perfect amazing weather. You never know when the hurricanes are going to come and the ships are great at navigating to keep passengers safe. You could maybe miss a port, but just go and have fun. You can get great rates for this time of year so even if you do miss a port, knowing that you paid less just enjoy another fun day at sea.

We're sailing on Mariner the week of September 17th - and the "peak" of the season is the previous week. We've lived through hurricanes in North Carolina and Florida, so it's not like we're unaware of the risk at that time of the year.

When we sailed in March, we talked a lot about hurricanes with our waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter. They have all been through the last couple of horrible seasons, but said that there have been few "bad" days. As others have said, the captain can see what is coming, and they will change course to stay away from the storms. You may miss some ports of call, but they may add another one somewhere else, or you may wind up cruising around "somewhere".

We decided that it was worth the risk to sail at that time of year (when prices are so low). I do get seasick, so will have patches, pills, ginger candies, AND seabands. But given my good experience in March, I'm not expecting trouble.

i'm going on a cruise in october too. i was worried but my bf pointed out that cruise ships move faster than hurricanes, and also that we're going to be in the south carribbean when hurricanes would hit higher north. so i feel better, not worried at all anymore.

Last time we went in August and had the best weather - this time its the end of October - both times are/were hurricaine season, but the ship will go around them, and it could just become a different adventure than was planned. That's the best part about having an adventure - you never know where you will end up. Enjoy and be flexible. Jan

One consideration not mentioned here...if the hypothetical hurricane in question is a U.S. landfalling 'cane, the port you are leaving from or returning to may be closed. That would include the nearest airport, if you should be flying in or flying out.

I mean by this, if the cane is hitting near the port you may not even be able to board your ship or get to your ship. If the cane makes landfall near your port while you are cruising, your ship may not be able to return to that same port or may sit off shore a day or two longer than you anticipated while the port clears.

Mind you, these are worst case scenarios, but both conditions have happened in Florida in the past two years.

That said, hurricanes are not a constant condition from June until late November. There may be weeks at a time without a cane. I'd take the chance. Just be sure to buy trip insurance.

We've cruised twice mid-month Oct. Both were wonderful trips. Caribbean cruising is a much safer honeymoon than a land-based Caribbean honeymoon. Ship Capt. would never endanger passengers and can re-route & out run hurricanes.

Highly recommend travel insurance, just in case. We just used "insuremytrip.com". Was user friendly. Great comparisons, then you pick.

Also highly recommend you fly in to port the day before your cruise. Much less worry/fretting.

Best wishes on your upcoming nuptials. Have a great life and cruise.:)

• 1 month later...

we are taking our first ever cruise out of Galveston this december 3rd, also a lil concerned about "hurricane season"...our itinerary includes key west, grand cayman and cozumel...

Any thoughts about this time of year for a western carribean cruise....any help is appreciated.

Bride - First, congrats on your upcoming marriage.:) You have to remember that six months out of the year is hurricane season, prime time is mid-August to mid-September. Half the folks who cruise do so during hurricane season.

I like to cruise the first week or two in September, good time for me, and the rates are a little less. Believe me, you're safer on a cruise ship than at home. Me, at least. My home was completely destroyed by Katrina. The ship's captain will take the ship out of harm's way. There's always plenty of warnings about hurricanes. You might miss a port, but that's something you need to be prepared for.

Quit worrying about something you can't control. Go, and have a wonderful honeymoon.:)

Sorry about your loss, Cotton--I was in Biloxi in 1969 and saw what Camille did; hope the hurricanes completely miss the Gulf this year and ever after!

Thx. My house was beachfront...went through 160 years of hurricanes. We survived Camille, but had a lot of damage. Now - all gone - as well as all my neighbors. Yes, lots of prayers going up for this hurricane season. I don't know that the coast could ever rebuild if another Katrina came through.

bride93006, I'm supposed to be cruising the week of Sept. 16, right smack dab in the middle of hurricane season. I do think about "what if" occasionally but I refuse to worry about it. There are all sorts of things that could happen during ANY time of the year on ANY type of trip (e. g., the newlyweds in the collapsed tunnel in Boston!!!) Just focus on planning to have a great new experience!! And like the others have said, DO buy trip insurance.

Cotton, I am so sorry you lost your home to Katrina. We live 150 miles inland and still experienced a lot of damage....but NOTHING in comparison to yours.:( We were down that way a while back....it's so sad. Very happy that you are okay, though :)!!!

Although we have lived in St. Thomas and Puerto Rico for more than 25 years and know all to well about Hurricanes. We decided to do our first cruise on Destiny on October 22, 2006. Although we look forward to going to Island we have yet to visit, if we end up in St. Marteen or another island we've already been to, so be it. We feel the way most people do, go with the flow and there's no way the Captain is going to put the ship and everyone lives at risk.

Archived