Ryndam to Sea of Cortez questions

karfest

I am trying to decide between two cruises and am making myself crazy--the Celebrity board has been quite helpful and I am hoping you folks can also give some suggestions. We have never been on X or HAL, but I am willing to take a chance on "traditional" cruising again!! We have been freestyling for a few years but I guess I can get the formal wear out of storage;)

I am looking at the 10-day Sea of Cortez on Ryndam or a 9-day Mexican Riviera on Celebrity Mercury. We cruise mostly for the ports- not the ship, but I am a little concerned about poor reviews coming from the X boards. I've been reading that the Mercury is worn and shabby and needs lots of work. Pictures of Ryndam look very nice but I would like to hear it from recent cruisers.

As far as ports go- we have been to all of the ports on the Mexican Riviera and LOVED them, but have not been to the Sea of Cortez. What do you think of Loreto and LaPaz? What will the weather be like in February? Should I stick with ports I know we'll like or be adventerous and try some new ones?

Thanks in advance for the help:D

We have been to both of these ports a couple of times.

This is a copy of our most recent visits there (November 2005 - Ryndam 2005):

Loreto - we first visited this port 4 years ago and really loved it then. At that time a couple of cruise lines stopped there. HAL is the only cruise line that stops there now from what I have been told (maybe someone knows of another cruise line that stops there.) Even though the people went out of their way to welcome us, there are very few shops there now. There used to be quite a few shops before you got to the hotel, plaza & church area. Now there are only a couple of vendors with their wares displayed on the ground. You have to walk beyond the church where there are more vendors but still not as many as there were 4 years ago. There are many sections along the avenue that are now vacant lots and it appears that nothing is going to be built on them. As I said, the people went out of their way to welcome us. A marachi band played in the plaza for awhile. Then for about an hour many of the grade school and high school students performed dances from around the world (Hula's, Rumba's, Mexican Hat Dance, etc.). And they still take great pride in trimming their trees to form an arch over the main avenue.

La Paz has really turned into a lovely port since we were here 4 years ago. Four years ago I said that I wouldn't want to go back to that place - boy - I would rather go there than to Loreto. Back then we had to pay $2 per person each way to get from the ship to town plus the tip the narrator. This time the shuttle service was free but we still tipped the narrator. Back then we rode on old buses that looked as though they might stop dead in the road. This time we rode beautiful new buses. And when we got to town - we didn't get dropped off at an ordinary bus stop - we went to the new bus terminal (it can hold 3 buses at the same time). You can also book tours from the bus terminal. The road has also been improved. Many places it is 2 lanes in both directions compared to the 1 and 1/2 lanes we had before. The main plaza is still there. But all along the water edge, the sidewalks have been completely bricked over and there are wrought iron benches placed about 20 feet apart so that you can watch the water. Four years ago most of the shops were watch or shoe shops - nothing to really talk about. Most of those have been torn down and replaced with a lot of boutiques selling purses, clothing, perfumes, modern shoes, just about anything you would want or need. La Paz is getting very trendy. There were quite a few more shops that had signs indicating that they would be opening soon.

The cruise terminal has been updated - new wicker chairs with padded seats. Although HAL didn't mention this, but in the cruise terminal you can get shuttles to take you to a beach only 15 minutes away.

We went last year on the Ryndam, and my wife liked it better than the Oosterdam because it was smaller and the service was teriffic. The veranda rooms are larger than on the newer ships and the bathrooms have a tub with jacuzzi jets. Watch out for the soap suds overwhelming the tub when you put a little shampoo in....we used the shower head to contol the "situation".

Only jucky part is the art auction stuff all over the place. The Pinnacle Grill is very small and very romantic, great tables for 2 with an ocean view.

Loreto was very nice, and the ship anchored just offshore and you tender in. It is just a few blocks walk to the center of town, and it is very quaint and peaceful. Much less of the usual hawking of T-shirts, tanzanite, diamonds, etc. than most ports.

La Paz was quite a distance from where the ship docked and you had to take a cab or bus into town, so we just stayed onboard.

Cabo is very touristy, and not very nice unless you get the heck away from the port area and go somewhere.

Weatherwise, it could not have been better, low humidity and low 80's.

We would do the Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam again in a heartbeat, if we could.

I hope this info is helpful for you to make a decision.

David

we did sea of cortes on another hal ship about 2 years ago and really enjoyed the cruise---loved loreto -quiet picturesque and totally uncrowded ---------------we are doing the mex riviera next jan so i cant compare the 2----but as i wrote loved the sea of cortes and would do it again

Karen, since you've never been there, I would go with the Sea of Cortez in a heart beat! Those cruises offer a great itinerary and HAL is one of the few, if not the only, major line that goes there. Since you'll still be going to the more traditional Mexican Riviera ports of Puerta Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas on the Sea of Cortez itinerary, you have a great chance to make comparisons. Going to the ports (Loreto, Pichilingue [for La Paz] and Topolabampo) on the Sea of Cortez is still like taking a step back in time of old Mexico of days gone by. All three of these ports are smaller than the traditional Mex Riviera ports where cruise lines have been going for years so you'll be able to take your time and take it all in. Plus you can't beat the scenery in the Sea of Cortez itself since the ship will be fairly close to shore. I don't think you will be disappointed! Have a great cruise in whatever you pick!:)

We have been on both the Sea of Cortez 10 day cruise (Ryndam Oct/Nov 2005) and Mexican Riviera 7 day (Oosterdam April 2006) and while both were great cruises, the Sea of Cortez was much more enjoyable. We liked the Ryndam a lot better - a little smaller ship, easier to get around in. A lot of the public areas are about the same size on both ships, but since the Ryndam has fewer passengers, they didn't seem as crowded. I still get lost on Vista ships, but I knew my way around on the Ryndam!

La Paz and Loretto are a nice break from Cabo, Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan. Much quieter and calmer. More relaxing. I thought the contrast between the more touristy areas was very nice. In Loretto we hired a taxi for $15 for three of us for an hour and he drove us all around town, stopping whenever we wanted to see things and take pictures. It was very nice.

If I had my choice of the two I would definitely take the Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam. I've never been on X and while I have heard good things about them overall, I have heard some recent bad reports on the Mercury.

Let us know what you decide!

Mary

We were on the Nov. 7, 2005 Sea of Cortez cruise and the main reason for going on it was the Ports in the S.C. We have been to the other Mexican ports, but as others have said above, LaPaz, Loretto, and Topolobompo ( SP?) were more like what we remembered PV to be, when we first went there in 1980 for a 2 week condo stay. I don't think that the towns, esp. Loretto, will be "quaint" for much longer--developers have discovered them.

The ride on the shuttle, provided by the Port Authority, in both LaPaz and Topolobompo, provided an interesting break. ElFuerte, I think, was the town, and as we happened to be there on a Saturday, there was entertainment in the city square. There was also dance entertainment in the cruise terminal for La Paz.

Since HAL only does a limited number of SC tours, I'd sign up for it, if I'd never been, and might do it again, even tho I have been on it. ;) hmh

Thanks to all of you for your help! The positive comments are very helpful in making a decision.

One more silly question--how is Ryndam pronounced?

Is it Rin-dam

Rhine-dam

Rin-dum

Rhine-dum???

:D

We have done the Sea of Cortez a couple of times and the Mexcian Riviera several times. We really enjoyed being able to do both cruises back-to-back for 20 wonderful days on the Ryndam. I have noticed that HAL isn't offereing that combination anymore. If HAL did, we would definitely book them again.

Thanks to all of your positive remarks, I will be booking with HAL in the near future. Now I have to decide what type of cabin. We've been in an inside, outside, mini-suite, full suite, family suite, and regular balcony and have been fine in all of them. Of course, we liked the suites the best, but are not taking kids this time and really don't need the extra perks.

Any tips from you Ryndam experts about what cabin to choose? Any hidden gems that will be our little secret?;)

Thank You!

Which cruise?

Here's something I found when I Googled "Ryndam BA 205:"

We had cabin B205 and I was totally thrilled when we saw our balcony! It is twice as big as all the other mini-suite (now called verandah suite) balconies! It was fun to actually take a "walk" on our balcony everyday. You can even see across the back of the ship to the other side from here. Also, the way the vanity mirror was set up, you could see out toward the back of the ship from inside the room. I had heard there was a possiblity of noise from above, but I think we only experienced it once while they were cleaning around the aft pool deck and moving all the chairs around. There was also a lot of shuddering when the side thrusters were used, especialy at anchor.

But don't try to book BA #205 on Ryndam's March 13, 2007, sailing to the Mexican Riviera and the Sea of Cortez, from San Diego. It is taken! If that is the cruise you are booking, see you aboard!

Archived