Staying & Parking In New Jersey Information

MJEasley

I went into the city yesterday to see the New Freedom of the Seas (amazing) and also saw the Dawn. After checking out a lot of things I hope the following information is helpful for people wanting to stay in New Jersey and park long term cheaper than the docks.

Sheraton Suites on the Hudson (Lincoln Harbor)

500 Harbor Boulevard, Weehawken, New Jersey 07087

You can see your ship from this hotel. There is ample free parking at the hotel. Next door you will find Ruth Chris Steakhouse, Houlihans, a CVS pharmacy, and other handy stores. The Chart House which is super nice and a little pricey is two blocks away with spectacular views. The Chart House is an excellent place to watch the ships leave port on the Jersey side. On the NY side the new ferry terminal is the next best place to view ships leaving. (Which I did to watch the Freedom of the Seas leave and then from NJ I watched the Dawn depart).

This hotel is a good base if you plan to go in the Manhattan area 34th to 42nd street, Times Square etc. huttle buses (numbers 156, 158 & 159) across the road run about every 10 minutes and get you to Port Authority in NY in 15 minutes for $2.30. They stop running at midnight. There is also a light rail station that takes you to Hoboken where you can take the Path Train into the World Trade Center.

There is a ferry right in front of the hotel that runs weekdays, for a $5.75 for the ferry (if bought at the hotel or at the main terminal it costs $5.25) and departs every 20 minutes, with the last direct ferry departing Manhattan at 11:00 p.m. The hotel operates a courtesy bus but you must remember to call them on the return journey to tell them what ferry you are on so they are there to pick you up.

The other option is Port Imperial Ferry in Weehawken for $6.50, www.nywaterway.com ferry (5 minutes from the hotel by shuttle ride).

TIP: If you are driving in, and would rather stay in Manhattan, park long term at the ferry ($9 per day - I just called the terminal) and take it over to the docks for your trip (it is outdoor parking).

NY Waterway's red, white, and blue buses are NY landmarks which will deliver you directly to the West 38th Street ferry terminal from locations all over Manhattan: 57th Street, 49th Street, 42nd Street, 34th Street, plus uptown and downtown (hold onto your ferry stub).

The buses stop at all NY city bus stops along these routes. Just wave down our bus (like hailing a cab) and hop on to reach our cruises. Remember - it's free! For route information, call 1-800-533-3779 or check out all the info provided on their website.

This is very helpful information since hardly anyone posts about the Port Liberty hotels. Does the Sheraton have a shuttle or a cruise and park program, where you can leave your car there, and take a shuttle to the cruise piers?

We are staying at the Best Western in Newark, which receives some bad PR on these boards, but I plan on posting a complete and honest review of this hotel after the first night of our stay there (we're staying two nights so we can do some touring of the city before our cruise). My review will of course be right here on the boards, so look out for it on the early morning of the 15th sometime after I finish breakfast.

The BW has a shuttle to and from the piers, and it also has the cruise and park program.

Interesting, never heard of that place to park. How much do they charge per day there, and how will you get from there to the pier?

Port Imperial Ferry is in Weehawken for $6.50, www.nywaterway.com

You park and take the ferry which is directly across the Hudson where the cruise ship will be docked.

TIP: If you are driving in, and would rather stay in Manhattan, park long term at the ferry ($9 per day - I called the terminal) and take it over to the docks for your trip (it is outdoor parking).

MJEASLEY, We are staying at Sheraton. I was going to book a limo to take us to the cruiseship but no one will call us back with info. Would it be an unbearable trip to drive to the cruiseport in Manhattan or should I have the hotel arrange a cab or limo? There are 6 of us (4 adults and 2 children). Exactly how long do you think it would take if we drove?

MJEASLEY, We are staying at Sheraton. I was going to book a limo to take us to the cruiseship but no one will call us back with info. Would it be an unbearable trip to drive to the cruiseport in Manhattan or should I have the hotel arrange a cab or limo? There are 6 of us (4 adults and 2 children). Exactly how long do you think it would take if we drove?

I'll e-mail my daughter who does it all the time and ask her and have her send me the directions. So I'll get back to you tomorrow.

I'll e-mail my daughter who does it all the time and ask her and have her send me the directions. So I'll get back to you tomorrow.

This is what my DD said

take the ferry to manhattan its right there. it's the same thing that we're doing. lincoln harbor has a pier or go to Port Imperial. Have the hotel get a cab to one of the piers. And the hotel can also assist you in getting a car to take you into the city.

20-25 minute drive if no traffic.

There is a ferry right outside our hotel, supposedly. You are telling me you would take the ferry with all your luggage for the cruise, with two children? I'm not sure I am comfortable with this. I think I would go for the hotel helping us out with transportation to the cruiseport or maybe even driving there ourselves. We're leaning toward a limo tour for the city the day before. I really appreciate all your info. Since I have never been to NY before I might not understand the comfort level of New Yorkers with their public transportation. I'm just not use to that. I'm sure my second trip will be easier. Thanks again!!

There is a ferry right outside our hotel, supposedly. You are telling me you would take the ferry with all your luggage for the cruise, with two children? I'm not sure I am comfortable with this. I think I would go for the hotel helping us out with transportation to the cruiseport or maybe even driving there ourselves. We're leaning toward a limo tour for the city the day before. I really appreciate all your info. Since I have never been to NY before I might not understand the comfort level of New Yorkers with their public transportation. I'm just not use to that. I'm sure my second trip will be easier. Thanks again!!

I'm sorry I overlooked your two children. You definetly would be better off with private transportation. Since you have never been to NY it's pretty overwhelming when you come out of the Lincoln Tunnel its the Oh My God effect and traffic is coming at you from every where. If you do drive make sure you map it out carefully so you understand the streets and exactly where you have to go. The docks are not far after you get out of the tunnel its just so much traffic. Maybe when you do the limo tour you could have them do a drive through the route to the terminal. That would be a great help. Good luck and have a wonderful cruise. When are you going?

MJEASLEY, Thanks again for your help. We are arriving in NY or should I say New Jersey 7-5-06 and this is the day we will probably schedule the NY limo tour. Great suggestion to have the limo driver map out our trip if we choose to drive to the cruiseport. We are sailing on a small 4 night cruise to Halifax with the kids and grandkids the next day. They wanted to try a cruise but not a longer one since they are unsure how the small ones will react. I think it will be great and looking forward to it. Thanks again, you really went out of your way to try and make our trip less stressful.

I know I have asked this question before but we still do not have a hotel booked and we are sailing on the Crown Princess in july so want to settle this.

Is there anyone out there who lives in New Jersey who can advise?

We have talked with North Bergen Comfort Suites about staying there for the three nights before cruise. During our 9 day cruise they say we can park the car at the hotel for 5 dollars a night. Is this hotel too far from Brookyn? I don't mind a 30 minute or so train ride.

We are coming from Ontario, Canada andhave checked out the train - it arrives too late at night for our liking.

thanks for any answers

Susan

I know I have asked this question before but we still do not have a hotel booked and we are sailing on the Crown Princess in july so want to settle this.

Is there anyone out there who lives in New Jersey who can advise?

We have talked with North Bergen Comfort Suites about staying there for the three nights before cruise. During our 9 day cruise they say we can park the car at the hotel for 5 dollars a night. Is this hotel too far from Brookyn? I don't mind a 30 minute or so train ride.

We are coming from Ontario, Canada andhave checked out the train - it arrives too late at night for our liking.

thanks for any answers

Susan

I don't live in NJ, but do live in NY, so I will try to help you.

1) Which train are you referring to that takes you from Northern NJ to Brooklyn? I do not know of one. All of the trains/busses from NJ go to Manhattan. From there you would need to switch to another subway or bus to Brooklyn. It will definitely take more than 30 minutes. Probably at least an hour or more.

I don't know of a train - I just assumed there was a train. Guess that wasn't a good idea of staying in North Bergen. Guess we better try and find a hotel in NYC - I was trying to save some money and not pay an arm and leg for the hotel and then parking for 9 days.

thanks

Archived