Calling all Philly residents...

chrismch

We have 2 full days booked in July for a stay in Philly. We need dining choices. Of course we will do the cheesesteak tasting, but would love some seafood and good local Italian food. Any suggestions for good but not pricey restaurants serving these two choices? We won't have a car, but are good with taxis and public transit as needed. Thanks!:p

I spent yesterday in Philly. Definitely South Street for Cheesesteaks. Yummy.

I know Philly has a tourist web site www.phila.com. You should go on line to get your Liberty bell tickets. They are free in person but it's a real pain to get the time you want; on-line it's a $1 but soooo much more convenient.

When you get to your hotel or when you are on South Street grab a local paper; there was so much stuff in the one I had yesterday (& threw out, sorry) that I want to go back. :D

I never remember the name of it but there's a tourist attraction in the historic district near one of the old exchanges; it's a restaurant that serves meals & drinks from the Revolutionary times. The staff is in coustume & the food is tasty. It's no more expensive than any other restaurant.

Have fun.

Lived in burbs of Philly of my life. Many great restaurants all along Columbus Blvd. where cruise ships dock. Walking distance.

Taxi can take you to Italian Market. Street address is 9th street and Washington Avenue is start of Italian Market (about 10 minute drive from pier). Get cheese steak sandwich at Pat's, then go across street to Geno's and get cheese fries, your arteries will love you. Pat's and Geno's are located at southern end of Italian Market. Try Ralph's at Italian Market. Great Italian food. Not fancy, small restaurant, but good food. Been around for decades so they must be doing something right. Like I said, there are many great restaurants all along Columbus Blvd. with all types of varieties. Outdoor seating along Delaware River, music. Just hope for a sunny day. Mosulo (sp?) is an old multi sailed ship docked on the Delaware River and they have a restaurant. Make sure you sit topside, in the open air. There is also a Dave & Buster's restaurant on Delaware River, fun for kids and casual dining (gets very crowded).

Things to see: Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross's House, Ben Franklin's Grave, Constitution Center, etc. Take taxi to historic area (about 15 minute drive from Pier) then you can walk to all site. They are all within walking distance of eachother. If you are at Historic sites, you can visit the Bourse Building. This building has multi-restaurants and dining establishments in the building. All historic sites are free. If you are into shopping. Head west from Historic sites along Market STreet to Gallery Shopping Mall. It's about 4 blocks west from Historic area.

Philly is a great town, but be careful. Just like any other town, we have our crime. If you are smart and alert, you'll not be taken advantage of. Cruise Terminal, Columbus Blvd., Italian Market, historic areas, and Gallery Shopping Area are all nice areas of Philly. Enjoy.

You should come into the city once in a while. The cruise ships do not dock on Columbus Blvd. They call at the old Navy yard at the foot of Broad Street, not sure of exact name. Why is it I know how to spell Moshulu, and Philly Tom does not?

I'm a Penn's Landing fan, but it's been a few years since I've visited. I think my oldest son was about 7 - he's turning 15 next month - and we took my dad the WWII vet (who worked in the Navy Yard in 1942-43) to see the Becuna and the Olympia. The Olympia is the last survivor of the Great White Fleet and fought in the Spanish-American War. Admiral Dewey's flagship, in fact. The Becuna is a WWII submarine. Both are worth seeing. The only time I was aboard the Moshulu was in 1982, to celebrate my graduation from Saint Joe's; I know it's changed, given change of ownership and restoration after a fire, but looking at the online menu (www.moshulu.com) it certainly looks like it'd be a worthwhile meal, and it's a really neat ship.

I'm wrong! I apologize! The Cruise Ships do not dock along Penns Landing, they dock in a section of the old Phila Navy Yard. My sincere apologies. Once you dock, you'll have to catch a cab to where ever you wish to visit. Depending on traffic, you could probably hit most tourist sites within a 1/2 hour.

PS: spelling was not my strongest subject in school. Sorry for mispelling the Moshulu. My bad!

Archived