ATM Cards + Pin Numbers in Europe

Hi - this is for a friend of mine who is leaving on Friday for a Italian Land Trip. She's worried about her ATM Card. It's five digits. I'd always thought it needed to be four, but she's been told by her bank that they now take, four, five and six digit pins in Europe. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Tx

Tx,

We took the Liberty last August and used the ATM's alot. I went back and looked at the review I wrote and here's what I said about ATMs:

"After getting our luggage, we hit the ATM (called Bancomat in Italy) in the baggage claim area. Two of us were easily able to get 500 euros with no problem, but one of my friends—Mick—couldn’t get his ATM card to work. He was able to borrow some euros until he could call his bank to figure out what was wrong (ultimately, he couldn’t figure out what happened because he was able to later use the same ATM card at many other machines; in fact, he seemed to use it so much that someone in our group started calling him “Mickomat”). You need to make sure that you have a four digit pin for your ATM card, and it’s also a good idea to notify your bank about the period of time that you’ll be using your ATM card. If you don’t notify your bank, they could put a hold on your account because of unusual activity involving overseas transactions. We also found that if any of the Bancomats don’t want to dispense a large amount of euros, such as 300 euros, just change the amount to something smaller, such as 240 euros, and the machine will probably work."

"There are ATM machines everywhere in Europe. Just make sure you have a 4 digit pin and notify your bank about the time period that you’ll be traveling in Europe. If you don’t, they could cancel your card because it has had some very unusual overseas activity on it."

I hope this helps.

John

Just thought I'd throw in this little tidbit that caused me a lot of grief on my recent Med. cruise. I notified my bank & credit card companies before departure. They entered all info in my records. Upon arrival in Istanbul, my card would not work. All it said was "unable to process your transaction at this time". After about 4 attempts in 3 countries, I called the bank (Bank of America) to ask what was wrong. They informed me that there had been a security breach "at home"; & they'd frozen my account. They gave me no details, only saying that the fraud division was investigating. They told me at the next port of call to find an ATM & call a special number; they would "unlock" my account long enough for me to withdraw cash. It took 13 phone calls over a 3 hr. period to accomplish this (they had phone line problems that morning). When I returned home I visited my local branch to find out just what really happened. The "paper trail" showed that there had been no fraud against my card after all. My records clearly showed where & when I was traveling in Europe; & my attempts to use the card. Someone was "too lazy to check the record" (the bank mgr's words, not mine); & they simply declined any foreign activity. I was (& still am) livid! They will reimbuse me for the mounting international cell phone charges I incurred while trying to straighten this out. After taking all the necessary precautions, I still got screwed. I pray that none of you ever have this worry ruin your travels.

I spent about 20 minutes on the phone with BOA today and they took so much info that I thought they'd also be asking for my blood type! After all that the card better work in Europe. If we have problems with it, I will surely be cancelling that card!

I'll ask this question here because you seem knowledgeable about using ATM's in Europe. Can I use an ATM for purchases and get change like I do here at home. For large purchases I'll use a CC but will want some small local currency for small purchases. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

I'll ask this question here because you seem knowledgeable about using ATM's in Europe. Can I use an ATM for purchases and get change like I do here at home. For large purchases I'll use a CC but will want some small local currency for small purchases. Hope someone can help. Thanks.

The answer is possibly? In the UK it's called 'cash back' and many of the larger stores offer it but it is hit and miss.

I would go with the 4 digit pin for sure.Just be aware that some ATM's work better than other's and to make sure that the ban's ATM logo is on the machine.

To JLT...you are talking about using your ATM as a Debit card and getting change back...not sure if the US cards would work like that over there...you could ask when you get there,but either get cash from ATM or use CC for purchase's as the way you may have to go.Each country will be different.

I had a problem in Spain where some hotels/restaurants automatically converted credit card payments to US$ using a higher exchange rate. Try to get them to charge your CC in Euros and let your credit card company do the conversion on your monthly statement........at a "friendlier" rate.

No trouble at all with ATM cards all over Spain using a four digit pin. Would be a good idea to bring a spare card.

Marty

Also note: ATM's in europe are starting to reject transactions with PIN's that begin with a ZERO, so make sure that you have a 4 digit pin and it does NOT begin with ZERO

I live in Europe and have a US ATM card with a PIN that begins in Zero.

We cruise often (20 cruises in 4.5 years) and travel all over Europe and the world. I have never had my card refused. Not sure that there is a PIN problem at all based upon my experience.

cirrus is more widley accepted at atm in spain and italty

pulse machines are few and far between. we have found that if you try to put in your own amount not use one of the choices the atm gives you you are more likely to have problems

I had a problem in Spain where some hotels/restaurants automatically converted credit card payments to US$ using a higher exchange rate. Try to get them to charge your CC in Euros and let your credit card company do the conversion on your monthly statement........at a "friendlier" rate.
This issue Marty had in Spain is called Dynamic Currency Conversion. The merchant uses a system where they convert the charge into US$ (or whatever your home currency is) for you. They will try to tell you that they are doing it for your convenience, but in fact they are doing it to make money on a rip-off conversion rate (which they then split with the vendor who sold them the credit card processing software). They will also try to tell you they can't change it back to Euros (or whatever). You should INSIST that they charge in the local currency and let VISA or Mastercard do the conversion. Both companies have rules which make it mandatory that the consumer has the right to be charged in the local currency. If all else fails, make a notation on the receipt that the merchant refused to charge in local currency and dispute the charge later.

This issue Marty had in Spain is called Dynamic Currency Conversion. The merchant uses a system where they convert the charge into US$ (or whatever your home currency is) for you. They will try to tell you that they are doing it for your convenience, but in fact they are doing it to make money on a rip-off conversion rate (which they then split with the vendor who sold them the credit card processing software). They will also try to tell you they can't change it back to Euros (or whatever). You should INSIST that they charge in the local currency and let VISA or Mastercard do the conversion. Both companies have rules which make it mandatory that the consumer has the right to be charged in the local currency. If all else fails, make a notation on the receipt that the merchant refused to charge in local currency and dispute the charge later.

This issue came up big time last year as well,and I think it is imperative for people to note that they have the right to refuse to sign if it is converted into US..it is a ripoff for the consumer,and they are supposed to be asked as well.So people make a note...

DO NOT let them convert yur CC into US$'s!!!:mad:

Thanx,Mark,for bringing it up again.....:D

little by little, banks are converting over to the "zero" denial policy and many have converted over the past 4 weeks---I work for a large bank and we are also reviewing this policy. Without getting too technical, if you use a zero as the first number in your pin you are effectively giving yourself a 3 digit pin which makes it much easier for fraudsters.

search the internet for pin with zero in europe and you can read more about it....not trying to cause panic but I would not want to be stuck without access to cash.

This is a very interesting and informative thread. Here's my experience and take..some very recent.

First, we've used our same ATM card - 4 digits starting with 0 - in Europe several times in the last 6 years or so. Never had a problem with the card (just the user once..more later) and agree with all opinions re getting euro's this way. It is a good rate of exchange and very convenient.

We just got back from Portugal. The first time we used our card was in Porta delgado. There was an ATM machine in an office building lobby that seemed active as walked by a couple of times so we decided that was as good as any. I put my card in, asked for 300 euros, it said 200 was max, re-entered 200 euros, heard the bill counting 'swish' and out popped my card but no money. As I stood there wondering what happened, IT ATE MY CARD. I walked into the office across the hall and spoke to one of the girls in there who was very nice and explained to me that the machine belonged to a bank, not them. BUT she did offer to call the bank for us and said someone would meet us at the machine in 1 hour. We came back then and sure enough someone was there and got our card out for us. As for the money not coming out, we weren't charged that first time and so we just did it again with the bank employee standing by! Moral of this story? Don't 'think' with card sitting in machine slot. And I would pick a machine located at an 'open' back just in case a problem occurred. Also, this was the first of many times during our several day stay when we noted that Portuguese people were very kind and helpful.

Gosh, I didn't mean to make that story so long!! And I still want to touch on ATM charges. Starting with Paris years ago and Italy a few times since and now Portugal, the charges have been around $2 at both ends of the transaction..like using your card here at home at a bank other than your own. However one bank in Portugal charged an extra $8 fee. That was a first and may just be that particular bank policy.

We are going to Italy in October to visit family for several weeks and will check into our 0 starting 4 digit pin # before going as being able to use our card while there will be a must.

Off subject but I would like to tell you that "3" times during our Lisbon stay, someone got up to give me a seat. Either on a vehicle (bus, train) or waiting for one. Yes, very nice but, hey, I'm only 65 and not decrepit yet. I have a very diplomatic nephew who suggested that I either just looked very tired or that perhaps they had a charlie-horse and had to stand. He is sweet and funny, too. Now...where's the Clairol!!!!!

CORRECTION! Eight dollar fee had nothing to do with euro transaction..it was something else (weekend newspaper automatic withdrawal) that printed out on my statement right in the middle of the 2 small and correct ATM charges.

(Hmmmm, perhaps I do need to sit down!!)

Archived