Any news on missing passenger?

There was a thread a few minutes ago that was removed.

I was in the middle of trying to catch up on the news and it went poof. Someone must have mucked it up for everyone else. I just hope people can be more sensitive moving forward.

Tracy

Coast Guard hunts for missing cruise ship passenger

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/16/man.overboard/index.html

Here's the link to the CNN web announcement ...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/16/man.overboard/index.html

Hopefully this will provide the information you need. Unfortunately another unfortunate tragedy for the cruise line industry. Good bless this young man's family and friends!!!

UGH :mad: :eek:

Guys I am SURE he did not mean it in that way. He's been looking foward to this trip for a while. Don't take it in the way that he doesn't care about the man who fell overboard. I am positive he does.

I too will be on that cruise.

How would you like if you planned a cruise many months ago, and you get four days from it, and something like this happened? I know you wouldn't like it either.

I only saw a small story about it on http://www.foxnews.com . No other news outlet seems to be covering it. I am supposed to sail on the Mariner this coming Sunday, May 21st. I hope it doesn't affect the trip.

Ya, forget about the missing passenger and his family and friends. Forget about the fact that he is probably dead. Lets just hope that it does not affect your vacation. hmmmm.

How would you like if you planned a cruise many months ago, and you get four days from it, and something like this happened? I know you wouldn't like it either.

I would say prayers for him and his family (and am), and know that whatever happened with my vacation was both beyond my control and absolutely meaningless when compared to a situation like this.

Oh this poor young man and his family. This is so very sad.

Tracy

Guys I am SURE he did not mean it in that way. He's been looking foward to this trip for a while. Don't take it in the way that he doesn't care about the man who fell overboard. I am positive he does.

You have every right to worry about your cruise, it has nothing to do with your feelings toward the overboard passenger. Just wait when this sons family files a law suit(like George Smiths), they will suddenly have no care in the world about this overboard passenger but will be defending there cruise line like theres no tomorrow. They did it with George Smith and they will do it again. There is nothing you could for this passenger that went overboard, yet Im sure your prayers are with the family. There is nothing at all wrong in asking about your cruise that you saved and planned for for along time. Go and have fun on your cruise and excuse the people here who have no manners. Your cruise should not be delayed unless there is foul play involved. smooth sailing and have fun;)

Anyone who has cruised on the Mariner knows that you just dont fall overboard.:( I have sailed that ship twice ,and the rails are not toddler height. The cameras showed him by himself. So put it together. Maybe the missing cruiser was the selfish one. But we will probably never know the truth, same as the Smith case,well never know the truth.

Well I would like to know if the camera saw him standing there did they also see him fall, jump, or walk away? Was he intoxicated...which could be seen in how he was walking? This is a terrible accident again on a cruise ship and we have to stop and think...but to flame another person for saying hope it does not affect my cruise is unfair. People are missing, killed, attacked every day and we go on. I do not think it was heartless thing to say. I would wonder too if I was cruising next sunday. But if it were to cancel the pax would get refunds. I still do not think this is what was worrying the poster. Just a thought about how this will affect his plans and that is legitimate. That does not take away from all of our concerns since we all love cruising so much ...it is just another blemish to the industry. Raises concerns too for all of us. I hope this story will turn out positive...

I agree, You just don't fall over board. You either are pushed or you do something dumb like sitting on the railing or jumping off the ship.

My thoughts and prayers are with the family!

Hey everyone,

I am sorry for the way that my original comment sounded. I am absolutely praying for the missing young man and his family & friends. In no way did I mean that my cruise is more important than the life and safety of that man. Whatever needs to be done to have a positive outcome and resolution to this situation comes first. My comment was more about when the FBI and other authorities will conduct the investigation...do they take the ship out of service or do they investigate as the ship continues on cruises. After reading my posting again, I fully understand how this could be taken the wrong way. I sincerely apologize for the poorly written and timed comment.

Forgive me if the sounds heartless, but is it realistic to expect the cruise lines to call in the Coast Guard every time someone cannot be located on a ship? The ships are BIG, and people drink ALOT. Are we expecting the cruise lines to have cameras everywhere to monitor every move we make, in case we do something foolish? Are they also expected to rush in and stop us? When are people going to start being accountable for their own reckless behavior? If someone goes out and gets loaded then gets behind the wheel of a car and kills themself, do we go after the company that sold the person the car? :confused:

Granted, I have no knowlege of drinking being a contributing factor in this case, and if it turns out that RCCL really was notified at 11:00 and failed to take action before 7:00 p.m. then yes, that's negligence. But I'll bet this turns out to be an early, over-dramatized version of the facts.

I do understand the mindset of the families of the victims, and I pray for them. But I also understand that when you lose someone, you always feel like something more could have been done. In these cases it's the families feeling that the cruise lines should have done more.

Well I would like to know if the camera saw him standing there did they also see him fall, jump, or walk away? Was he intoxicated...which could be seen in how he was walking?

Inshape,

Most of the cameras on cruise ships are not video cameras. They are still cameras. They cycle through very fast in series, taking snapshots. There will be a time-lapse between each shot of any given area. So, there will be snippets...not real time video footage of what may have happened.

Tracy

I see. As to calling the coast guard that many hours later...the original report said they searched first and then checked the ship and made many announcements... I would not think they would call out the coast guard until they did all of that. And how many hours to reasonably wait...I have no guess. And they had to make sure he was not on coco cay. But I thought they reported him at 11 am on monday. That is the coco cay stop. So to think he was on the island is reasonable, although they could have checked that out fast enough one would think through the security points and the passes. I think if it were a sea day it would have happened faster.

Unfortunately, there is another RCI passenger missing. However, an article I read today said that since 2003, 25 Americans have gone missing at sea from cruise ships.

That's 25 out of the (est.) hundreds of thousands of Americans who have cruised on all cruise ship lines during that time.

Sure, sometimes "ship" happens -- but I'll take those odds.

I don't know why you feel like the thread should be pulled - it's not inflamatory or incorrect. It's unfortunately true.

That being said - does anyone else feel like me - that the actions of a few people are going to negatively impact the rest of the cruising world? When I first started cruising in the 80's I could go to the bow of the ship late at night an enjoy the sky, the wind and the sea. In the 90s the bow was off-limits and passengers had to stick to upper decks. Next thing you know we'll have to be glassed-in to prevent accidental overboards. You can't fall off a cruise ship unless you're putting yourself into an unsafe position (for instance sitting on the railing) or...if someone wants to toss you overboard.

Archived