Any advice on getting response from RCI regarding injury?

Sorry I am reposnding to this so late, but I can assure you that RCI will not resond to you without an attorney. It is in their best interest not to, and short of you getting an attorney, they are just hoping you will go away. They will not respond for fear of a lawsuit. Therefore, you need to get an attorney and make this lawsuit a reality. Good luck!!!

Just wanted to let the OP know that about 15 years ago i was cleaning an cutting machine when I was working at a fast food company and stuck my finger in a area where the blade was. Because the blade was moving so fast i couldn't see it and whamo. It felt like something bumbed my finger that's it, until I took off my plastic glove . Well you get the drift. Didn't feel any pain for a while. Now after they stiched my tip back on well that was another story. So just because he didn't feel pain initially just means it was something really sharp and gave him a clean cut.

cruznsugs how could I forget! Thanks for reminding me. I spent the summer of 1981 at Hope Repertory Theater in Holland, MI. I was working with the table saw one night, knotty pine. I hit a large knot and the the piece flew back into my stomache knocking me forward. I ran my thumb right over the blade. I didn't feel anything for several minutes. There was a lot of blood tho. I have a lifelong scar along my left thumb to remind me that I am not cut out to work with power tools.

I rarely think about it anymore unless I happen to look down.

CecilCtyCruiser,

I'm glad to hear that someone has called you! Be sure to get the names and phone numbers of the people you talk to. Once we had the name and extension of our Risk Management contact, it was easier to get hold of her.

I wish you continued luck! Linda

I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with RCI, and can give us some advice.

My husband was injured in the pool on the Grandeur of the Seas last August, not long after we boarded. Something sharp in the pool cut right through his Achilles tendon, and since we had not left port yet we had to leave the ship for him to have emergency surgery to have it reattached. He then went through many months of recovery followed by physical therapy.

We would like to be reimbursed for expenses that were not covered by our insurance, and we would like a replacement cruise. We don't think that's asking too much. The accident was not caused by anything we did...my husband simply swam from one side of the pool to the other, then noticed the cut. Accident reports were completed at the time, RCI personnel interviewed the other passenger that was in the pool, and she confirmed this is what happened.

We sent a letter to RCI in November (certified), but never heard back from them. I was finally able to get through to them in March, and a claim was filed with Risk Management. We were told we would have a response in 4 to 6 weeks. It is now nearly 10 weeks and I can not get anyone to return my calls. I have the name of the person who is handling the case, but RCI will not let you talk to them directly; you have to leave a voice mail. I also left a voice mail for the manager of the department, but no response there either. Any advice on what I can do to get someone to respond? Is there anyone else we can go to?

It's not like we are trying to sue them or anything....all we've asked for is reimbursement of expenses incurred as a direct result of an accident on one of their ships. Makes us really angry that they are ignoring us like this. Does not say much for their customer service. Up until this happened we loved sailing RCI.

I was just reading our documents and it states that a claim must be filed within 6 months of a personal injury.

I was just reading our documents and it states that a claim must be filed within 6 months of a personal injury.

That may be what is in the documents. RCI can put anything that they wish in there. That, however, does not make any difference what so ever to U.S. statute of limitation law. Any part of a contract which is contrary to law is null and void though it does not negate the rest of the contract. I'm no lawyer but I know that to pretty much be true. And since it happened before the ship left port that means they were in U.S. territorial waters. And since this is not a naval vessel, which is an extension of a sovereign nation, I am pretty sure that U.S. law prevails.

That may be what is in the documents. RCI can put anything that they wish in there. That, however, does not make any difference what so ever to U.S. statute of limitation law. Any part of a contract which is contrary to law is null and void though it does not negate the rest of the contract. I'm no lawyer but I know that to pretty much be true. And since it happened before the ship left port that means they were in U.S. territorial waters. And since this is not a naval vessel, which is an extension of a sovereign nation, I am pretty sure that U.S. law prevails.

Are you sure you're not an attorney, you sure sound like one:) !!! I was just wanting OP to act on this as soon as possible. Thanks for your information, I'm sure OP will be glad to hear it. I wish them well.

Nah, I wouldn't want to be one of those. But the cruise contract is something that has annoyed me for a long time. How do you like the part that says "the cruise line makes no warrenty as to the sea worthiness of the ship"? They knowingly put an unworthy ship to sea, some disaster happens, and then they wave the contract and say "Hey! its right here. We are not liable." Yeah...right...

But I would, as you suggest, file before the six month if possible. It will give one less excuse for RCI to use to try to wiggle out of this...AND...just in case I am wrong about the application of contract law!!

Nah, I wouldn't want to be one of those. But the cruise contract is something that has annoyed me for a long time. How do you like the part that says "the cruise line makes no warrenty as to the sea worthiness of the ship"? They knowingly put an unworthy ship to sea, some disaster happens, and then they wave the contract and say "Hey! its right here. We are not liable." Yeah...right...

!!

The truth is if they did put an unseaworthy vessel in the water and it was shown I bet that little clause would go right out the window. They can say anything they want, that does not mean they cannot provide a safe product. It's put there to deter more than anything else.

Oh and lawyers are great. I worked in law for years and most of them are decent folk.

To the OP - If I were you I wouldn't leave any more voice mail messages with RCL or discuss this publicly any more. There's no telling where this might lead. Remember, the cruise lines monitor these boards. If I were you I would contact an attorney ASAP and let him/her handle it.

Archived