Any advice on getting response from RCI regarding injury?

I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with RCI, and can give us some advice.

My husband was injured in the pool on the Grandeur of the Seas last August, not long after we boarded. Something sharp in the pool cut right through his Achilles tendon, and since we had not left port yet we had to leave the ship for him to have emergency surgery to have it reattached. He then went through many months of recovery followed by physical therapy.

We would like to be reimbursed for expenses that were not covered by our insurance, and we would like a replacement cruise. We don't think that's asking too much. The accident was not caused by anything we did...my husband simply swam from one side of the pool to the other, then noticed the cut. Accident reports were completed at the time, RCI personnel interviewed the other passenger that was in the pool, and she confirmed this is what happened.

We sent a letter to RCI in November (certified), but never heard back from them. I was finally able to get through to them in March, and a claim was filed with Risk Management. We were told we would have a response in 4 to 6 weeks. It is now nearly 10 weeks and I can not get anyone to return my calls. I have the name of the person who is handling the case, but RCI will not let you talk to them directly; you have to leave a voice mail. I also left a voice mail for the manager of the department, but no response there either. Any advice on what I can do to get someone to respond? Is there anyone else we can go to?

It's not like we are trying to sue them or anything....all we've asked for is reimbursement of expenses incurred as a direct result of an accident on one of their ships. Makes us really angry that they are ignoring us like this. Does not say much for their customer service. Up until this happened we loved sailing RCI.

Did you ever find out what was in the pool? Was it negligence on the part of RCI? Did the give you the impression they would pay for it? That is why I thought you had insurance. Was it travel insurance or just your medical? If it was travel insurance, the trip should have been refunded by them. If you did not have it, good luck getting anything. RCI always reccomends it. I hope you can at least talk to them. Keep us posted.

I have to agree with the last poster about getting an attorney. It's been 6 months since you wrote to them and the matter is not close to being resolved. There have been some similar threads in the past and everyone's experience seems to be negative with RCI in this regard. I think that in these circumstances they try to stall you for as long as possible hoping you will finally give up.

We don't know what caused the cut, but it definitely happened in the pool. They told us they were going to drain the pool and do an investigation, but if they did we were never informed (guess I would not expect to be if they found anything that made them responsible). They were very puzzled by it at the time, as were we. The cut was not there when he got in the pool, we would have noticed it with the amount of blood that was coming out. He got in and swam from one end of the pool to the other. When he got to the other side, he stood and noticed a stinging...the salt water going into the wound.

To answer the previous poster, it was a definite cut. The surgeons said it looked like a knife had been used to cut right down through. He's got a really nasty scar.

We did have travel insurance, but they did not cover everything. And we aren't asking RCI to cover everything; even though we had to sell a perfectly good car and buy one with automatic transmission so my husband could drive back and forth to school and work, we aren't asking them to pay for that. And that was money out of our pocket that we would not have had to spend had this accident not occurred. We think we are being very fair.

Maybe it is time to talk to an attorney, but we had hoped to avoid that route. Guess it was pretty naive on our part to expect they would take responsibility.

Guess it was pretty naive on our part to expect they would take responsibility.

The cruise lines try to shun responsibility for as much as they can. For example, the doctors on the ships do not actually work for the cruise line, they are third pary contractors. If you have a problem with any of the services that the doctors may provide the cruise line will disclaim all responsibility since the doctors actually work for someone else.

We had a problem on our Splendour cruise last summer. I can confirm that dealing with Risk Management was not easy. We made many, many phone calls, sent numerous letters, but still didn't hear back from them months later. I decided to go to the RCI website and get the names of all of their executives. I sent an identical email to about 15 different addresses (including Risk Management and Crown & Anchor) and finally received some answers. Within days, Risk Management called our home and we amicably settled our claim. While it was a difficult and frustrating process, RCI did come through for us. By the way, we also had travel insurance but they did not cover anything.

Linda

I actually hate to say this, but getting an attorney makes a lot of sense at this point. When dealing with a corporation the size of RCI, your letter/claim will just set on someone's desk forever. A letter from an attorney will definitely get their attention.

Wow, this is one of the most bizarre things I have ever heard. I am so sorry for your husband and yourself. What a horrible thing to go through, and from out of the blue!

I agree with the advice to have a lawyer draft a letter. Don't go to one of those ambulance chasers who will want to sue off the bat. Ask around if someone has a friend or relative that would be willing to put something together for you.

It's become such a catch 22. Litigiousness (is that even a word?) has made companies resistant to admitting any sort of liability, but then even if all you want is fair and reasonable reimbursement, one needs to threaten litigation.

I do hope you are remedied! Please keep us posted.

Tracy

To send email to RCI, just type in the person's first initial + last name. For example, rfain@rccl.com, lleon@rccl.com, etc. I found a list of executive's names on the website under "Our Company", then "Our Leadership." If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I hope this method will also work for you. I have heard that threatening RCI with a lawsuit is just a joke to them. All legal proceedings would take place in Miami, which would require travel and time off of work on your behalf. Fortunately they did respond to us and we are happy with the results.

Good Luck!! Linda

Somethings not right here.

If something cut his tendon, he wouldn't feel a stinging because of the salt water. He would be laying on the ground in the fetal position crying like a baby. That is one of the most painful injuries imaginable. You just don't "notice" it. It grabs your attention!

If something cut his tendon, he wouldn't feel a stinging because of the salt water. He would be laying on the ground in the fetal position crying like a baby. That is one of the most painful injuries imaginable. You just don't "notice" it. It grabs your attention!

You don't have to believe me. We know what happened.

I was thinking the same thing! Obviously it didn't cut completely through the tendon. Maybe if it just cut into the tendon a little bit (still enough to do some serious damage) the pain wouldn't have been so severe.

It cut all but a thread of the tendon. I came on looking for advice, not to defend what happened. Thanks to all of you nice people who provided it.

I didn't mean in any way to offend you or imply that you're lying, but tcfila is absolutely right that that is an excruciating type of injury (at least from what I've heard--luckily I have not experienced it). But it may be the actual retraction of the completely severed tendon up into the leg that is so painful, which is why I made the statement that maybe your husband's tendon was not cut completely through. I apologize if I came across as doubtful or uncaring.

You didn't happen to book through a TA did you? I only ask because as with my agency our cruise partners are required to respond to these types of things in an agreed amount of time. Usually about 2 weeks. If not I am not suggesting you call one now because they most likely will not help. I only say that because I have had so many people over the years book on their own and then come in when their is a problem hopeing for help.

Also why didn't your travel insurance cover everything. Sounds like next time you travel you should go with a different insurance company.

Your DH must have a high pain threshold. I know I do. I was severely burned once but didn't notice until I smelled something burning. Funny thing was that when I realized it was my arm it was one of the most painfully experiences of my life. Weird.

It is unfortunately true that most big corporations now stall stall stall on situations such as this. It is frustrating for the "victim" but you have to be proactive and stay on point to get it resolved. You might find an attorney who will assist you but the cost may be more than you are willing to spend. Or an attorney may demand a high settlement to cover their expenses. It does seem to be a freak event but I would certainly stay on it - you would think they would throw that free cruise at you to simply resolve it and have it go away. Best of luck with your situation - and I also don't think the other posters were doubting your husband's injury or its circumstances - they were simply asking for clarification so I don't think any offense or attacks by anyone are warranted.

tcfila- I don't think you should generalise what a person 'should' or should not feel when injured. Some years ago I suffered a massive injury to my leg and I can tell you that I did not feel a thing.It wasn't until I looked at the damage and then I was stunned that it didn't hurt.

It would not be uncommon that while lacerating the tendon they also sustained some nerve damage.

People who have had traumatic amputations will tell you the same thing....

As the OP said- they were there and they KNOW what happened:)

Archived