Any advice on getting response from RCI regarding injury?

I didn't mean in any way to offend you or imply that you're lying, but tcfila is absolutely right that that is an excruciating type of injury (at least from what I've heard--luckily I have not experienced it). But it may be the actual retraction of the completely severed tendon up into the leg that is so painful, which is why I made the statement that maybe your husband's tendon was not cut completely through. I apologize if I came across as doubtful or uncaring.
'

Apology accepted, and I'm sorry if I took offense where none was intended.

He did in fact have a great deal of pain once he left the pool, but for some reason did not feel it at the time of the cut. Shock, maybe? In fact, he continues to have pain at times, even today.

'

Apology accepted, and I'm sorry if I took offense where none was intended.

He did in fact have a great deal of pain once he left the pool, but for some reason did not feel it at the time of the cut. Shock, maybe? In fact, he continues to have pain at times, even today.

Could've been shock, but probably endorphins. When I broke my leg (a very serious break--spent 2 months in a full leg cast & 2 more months in a below the knee cast!) I didn't feel the actual break, but I heard it. In the first few seconds, I didn't really comprehend what had happened, but when I tried to move--Yowza! Never felt pain like that in my life! (Well, until I broke it a second time, but that's another story!) When the body gets a traumatic injury the endorphins really kick in to block the initial pain.

Since the other thread concerns a kid stepping on someone and injuring them there is no comparison to this situation. Let's not stir up animosity for the sake of entertainment.

How is mentioning a similar event "stirring up animosity?" :confused:

Cecil, I would just suggest, if you haven't already done so, to just document the whole situation. Provide them with pictures, medical records, actual bills incurred for this etc. And I would continue to push the executive offices. When we had issues a few years back (no need to go into details) my Sister called the executive office and was put through to a very nice gentleman who then called me back while we were still at the hospital and remedied the situation before she went any higher up.

Darci - there is a poster on the board whose mission is to make a snarky remark on a thread and then it turns into insults and fighting. I was simply pointing out that a cut while swimming is completely different from being stepped on by another passenger. Apples to oranges, apples to oranges.

It's not like we are trying to sue them or anything....all we've asked for is reimbursement of expenses incurred as a direct result of an accident on one of their ships. Makes us really angry that they are ignoring us like this. Does not say much for their customer service. Up until this happened we loved sailing RCI.

That's the problem.. I hope you filled out some sort of incident report or paperwork to document the injury before you disembarked. :eek::eek:Your first mistake is that you should have contacted a lawyer after you received medical treatment.. you then need the lawyer to get the documents you hopefully filled out when the incident happened... If it was not documented then you have no proof of what happened. I am in the the medical profession we all know that if it is not documented then it DID NOT happen" so I hope you have documents from the ship ..otherwise you will certainly have little chance of recovering anything from them...

Could've been shock, but probably endorphins. When I broke my leg (a very serious break--spent 2 months in a full leg cast & 2 more months in a below the knee cast!) I didn't feel the actual break, but I heard it. In the first few seconds, I didn't really comprehend what had happened, but when I tried to move--Yowza! Never felt pain like that in my life! (Well, until I broke it a second time, but that's another story!) When the body gets a traumatic injury the endorphins really kick in to block the initial pain.

Wow - same thing happened to me when I broke my leg - heard it but didn't feel it. And what an awful sound!

To the OP - I think it is appauling that you would not hear anything at all from RCI - you would think they would be bending over backwards to make sure everything is OK.

When my daughter was little, she got her hand stuck in the escalator in JC Penney. They did EVERYTHING they could to make sure we were happy. They send her a huge care package, they called and checked on her almost daily and they paid all expenses immediately. I think they realized that they could be paying much more if it ever went to court. Because they were so solicitious I was satisfied with their paying her expenses.

Somethings not right here.

If something cut his tendon, he wouldn't feel a stinging because of the salt water. He would be laying on the ground in the fetal position crying like a baby. That is one of the most painful injuries imaginable. You just don't "notice" it. It grabs your attention!

Actually, a completely severed tendon is not as painful as a partially severed one. Most of the pain comes from stretch receptors. When you completely severe the tendon the two parts retract and the stretch is taken off the fibers and the pain lessens. When you partially severe a tendon there is more stretch on the remaining intact fibers and an increase in pain.

I've taken care of folks with completely severed achilles tendons. I've never seen one in the fetal position crying like a baby.

To the OP, I am not a big fan of lawyers but it does seem like it would be a prudent course to follow at this time. Too bad RCI is pushing you in that direction.

What a sad story -- and such a shame that RCI is so unresponsive. Don't discount the media in this. I'm a writer for a large daily newspaper and if all else fails, contact the nearest large paper (Baltimore Sun?) and tell them about your dilemma. Bad press might throw more of a scare into the cruise line than the threat of a lawsuit. Good luck and hope this doesn't ruin cruising for you.

Sorry for your trouble..Hope its resolved..

Just wanted to say,Achiles injuries are really weird.Once,my Doberman ran up behind me,and clawed me in mine..about 21/2 inches up..Put a little puncture hole in it.The injury was not too bad..But the next A.M..I could not even walk..for about a week..Then,just as suddenly..It was fine.

Most of us have suggested legal help. I would suggest you do that very soon as you might be missing very important deadlines (no pun intended) I don't like suggesting this either but since RCCL has been stalling it is their own fault.

Linda from MI - I hope you see this. Want to thank you for your suggestion. Sent the e-mails Wednesday night, had a reply from the President of Royal Celebrity Tours on Thursday morning, and a call from Risk Management that afternoon.

No resolution yet, but at least they have called. Thanks so much for your help.

It cut all but a thread of the tendon. I came on looking for advice, not to defend what happened. Thanks to all of you nice people who provided it.

I agree with you, I was going up the stairs at home and completely ruptured my tendon, tore it completely off the heel bone. The pain at the time was not horrible, but I knew what had happened because I had had tendonitis in it and heard the snap when it happened. The pain and suffering comes after the surgery. I'm just 3 months out of surgery and am still in pain, still doing physical therapy exercises, etc., but this just takes a long time to recover from. I would go see an attorney. Like another person had posted earlier, a nice letter from an attorney will get their attention. Best of luck to you and your husband, I hope he's doing well. P.S. Must have been his left foot, because mine was right and I couldn't drive at all!!!!

Oops, sorry!

I actually hate to say this, but getting an attorney makes a lot of sense at this point. When dealing with a corporation the size of RCI, your letter/claim will just set on someone's desk forever. A letter from an attorney will definitely get their attention.

This is very very similar thread on another board, where the husband, was stepped on by a kid, and ruptured his achilles??

troll???

not to cast doubt, but i am a bit doubtful???

Suggesting someone is a troll because of comparable stories? Read the whole thread and see how the OP is getting great assistance from other posters before casting judgement. A Troll is a hit & run disruptor. This is definately not the case.

Good luck Cecilcitycruiser.

pearlie - another poster made the assumption in a more subtle way. This poster has not bashed the line and has appropriately asked for guidance. As I stated earlier, comparing someone stepping on a foot to someone swimming and getting cut is not the same thing. I hope their issue gets resolved to everyone's satisfaction - it seems to be moving in the right direction which is good for everyone.

Lots of people get injured in the same body part. That does not a troll make. Besides the OP has over 70 posts. Most trollish types are posting for the first time.

As to the pain. I know plenty of triathlete types that sustain HORRIBLE injuries, but because of endorphins they don't know they did it. A vacation can push as many happy feelings as an Ironman.

Archived