Fort Lauderdale flight-enough time?

I am thinking of booking a flilght from Fort Lauderdale departing at 11:50am. My ship docks in Miami early am. Do I have enought time to make the flight in Fort Lauderdale? What do you think? Thanks

I wouldn't book an 11:50 flight out of FLL if my ship was docking in Fort Lauderdale. Have had some real close calls with 12:20 flights out of FLL. FLL is one of the worst airports I have ever seen on Saturdays and Sundays, particuarly during the Wiinter when up to 10 cruise ships are in port.

You will get differing opinions on this.

My opinion is you are fine with 1150. In fact, that is what time we always book our return flight. That said, we have other options later in the day if we were to miss our flight. At the same time, we have made an 0950 flight out of FLL after disembarking in Miami. We got to the airport by 0900.

It really all depends on your comfort level. The unknown here is that the ship may be delayed getting into port or clearing Customs. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

Also, it depends on the carrier that you fly with out of FLL. Carriers like United, Delta, and USAirways often have very long lines.

We usually fly Spirit or JetBlue into FLL and the lines are normally much smaller, as they are more limited in where they fly to.

If you have options later in the day should you miss that flight, I say go for it.

Jay

I wouldn't book anything before 1pm out of FLL. We waited in a LONG line from security all the way outside the building,and it took us 1 1/2 hours just to get through. People were running up frequently saying "I'm gonna miss my flight"- the staff just looked irritated at them- fortunately we had time to spare but it was chaotic to say the least. The staff there acted surprised that all these people had showed up on a Saturday morning in summer wanting to go home!~!

I am booked out of there again this summer after a cruise,but this time my flight is not until 2.30pm. I'd rather sit there and relax than try to scrape through on Sat am.....

I am thinking of booking a flilght from Fort Lauderdale departing at 11:50am. My ship docks in Miami early am. Do I have enought time to make the flight in Fort Lauderdale? What do you think? Thanks

Barring any arrival and clearance issues the ship could possibly have, you'll have more then enough time to make it. In January, we had a flight an hour earlier than that, ~10:45. We asked for early departure, were given the early departure tags, were off the ship by 7:30 and at the airport by 8:30. No issue at all.

We just recently got off Explorer and were at the Miami airport at 8:00am...so to FL you in my opinion would be fine. Request to carry your luggage off or be the first color called. You can do so by going to the purser's desk when you board and tell them you need to be the first off. Worked perfect for us!

The way I look at it is, if something goes wrong then one hour probably is not going to make that much difference. When the ships arrive and clear everything on time, which is usually the case, then you will have plenty of time - we have sat in the FLL airport for several hours without rushing for our after 1pm flight and could have easily made it to an earlier flight. On the other hand, when we hear of "mess-ups," they usually delay things for several hours and 1pm probably wouldn't be much safer than 11:50. I also always have the airline's phone number on me so that if it looks like there may be a problem we can call and deal with it ahead of time rather than wait in long lines with other people at the airport.

LL

I hope you are right and I'm lucky..........I just booked a flight in March for 11:56am........I figure that is closer to 12 than 11:D With no delays on the ship arriving.......I think we will make it fine........you just never know though.

We booked our flights so long ago I can't remember what the original departure time was, but over the past few months American Airlines has been bumping up the time until our flight now leaves at 11:16 am from Ft. Lauderdale (also where we're sailing from). I'm going to talk with the purser when we board and hope for the best.

As evidenced by the differing posts found above, it all boils down to the eternal question posed by Harry Callahan, "Are you feeling lucky?"

LL

lol, u ppl r funny on here. Lord knows I have the worst luck in the world, so I'd have to book my flight for after 1pm.

Guest cruzr44

I would book it, and I have in the past. Off the ship in MIA at 7:30. Limo picked us up at 8 and we were at FLL before 9. Security lines were a breeze. Now, this is not to say I would be so lucky every time but I would be willing to take the chance. If I missed my flight I have nobody to blame but myself. Just be prepared for that possibility.

Someone said it above you are going to get different opinions on this, here is mine. First of all I fly southwest who does not charge you to change your flights, one of the reason I like them, I have booked an 11 or 1130 flight more times than I can tell you and have always made them, but if you can get to the airport earlier and there are seats southwest allows you to get on the earlier flights.

With that said, from miami to fll, here is what I will tell you to do. Make sure you have early off tags for your luggage, and if at all possible, just carry them off yourself, saved a heck of a lot of time. Kind of a pain I know but you walk right off the ship.

I would also arrange your own transportation, if you get off the boat early you still have to wait for a bus to fill up before it leaves, this way you get off, get your luggage and get right on the road.

With all that said if the boat comes to port late for any reason it could still mean problems for you. Last october I booked a 11:15 flight out of orlando off the mariner, and the airport is an hour away. We had a medical emergency and didnt start getting off until 9:00, I carried my luggage off, had my transport waiting and got right to the airport and had a few minutes to spare.

Be aware you are taking a risk, regardless of what all us risk takers tell you it can be possible to miss your flight and that is what everyone else is telling you. I tend not to fly during popular times (ie schools out, etc) so I know with southwest even if I miss my flight just means I am getting on the next one, so its a decision you need to make.

Archived