Playa Uvas

rscima

We went to Playa Uvas a few weeks ago and loved it!! Our excursion through Carnival was cancelled while we were on the ship and we only showed up here because of the cab drivers recommendation. We were greeted by Carmen and she explained all the options. We chose an all inclusive day with a clear kayak trip, a guided snorkle trip, an open bar and use of club facilities. She introduced us to Raphael our waiter (He was the BEST!!!!) He took our food order prior to us leaving for our excursion and got us some bottled water to take with us. We got a locker and prepared for our kayak trip. We enjoyed seeing the fish but the water was really moving and it was difficult to maintain a position over a reef or school of fish and see without drifting away from the area. The guides were really helpful - we even saw a couple capsize and the guide quickly got them back in their kayak. After we fiinshed the kayak trip we departed down the beach for the snorkle trip. It is just a short walk down the beach before we entered the water. The snorkling was FANTASTIC! The water was shallow and very clear. We saw lots of fish. When we finished snorkeling our waiter greeted us as soon as we arrived back on the beach. He led us to a table and brought our lunch and a couple margaritas- FANTASTIC. We had chicken and beef fajitas - very authentic mexican food and very large portions. We didn't ever have to look for Raphael - he kept a constant watch on what we needed. He even came to tell us when he was taking a break in case we needed anything before he left - great service!!!!! We spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing. I even got a temporary tattoo from Manual - he painted it by hand. I would describe the beach as crushed coral - it was a great place to relax. The shop was nice and they were not pushy. The pool was small but clean and the rest rooms were spotless- there were outdoor showers for rinsing the saltwater off. You could get a massage on the beach and there were beds and chairs available. No problem getting a cab back to port - they called for us when we were ready to go and brought us a bottle of water for the road. We could not have asked for a better beach day !

I finally got to Playa Uvas, last week, it was as good as I had heard. Carmen welcomed us and everything was ready to begin our activities. My kids took the kayak tour and my hubby and I had a massage with Luz that was very relaxing, we lounged by the beach and had drinks, got in the ocean for a little while, the water was beautiful. the kids came back from their tour very excited because they had seen a lot of fish. We had lunch around the pool, the food was excellent and the service first class.

muchas gracias amigos de Uvas.

I totally second Shamrock mama's sentiment!

My family was on b2b cruises on RCC's Enchantment and spent our Cozumel day at Uvas with Carmen and company. My daughters favorite was the snorkeling, my husbands was the excellent lunch and mine was my oceanside massage with Luz!

It was a wonderful day we are sure to remember!

I was looking at NCL's excursions and they have a clear kayak and snorkel excursion with food and drinks, it sounds alot like playa uvas. Does anyone know if they do take the ships excursions here? Does this make a large difference with the amount of people that are visiting for the day? TIA!

I was looking at NCL's excursions and they have a clear kayak and snorkel excursion with food and drinks, it sounds alot like playa uvas. Does anyone know if they do take the ships excursions here? Does this make a large difference with the amount of people that are visiting for the day? TIA!

Ship's excursions do visit Playa Uvas, but are planned for in the daily total of visitors. You won't be overcrowded!

(...and you CAN just jump in a cab at the port, pay about $10 for 4 people, and do this on your own with an advance reservation from the Playa Uvas website.)

I finally got to Playa Uvas, last week, it was as good as I had heard. Carmen welcomed us and everything was ready to begin our activities. My kids took the kayak tour and my hubby and I had a massage with Luz that was very relaxing, we lounged by the beach and had drinks, got in the ocean for a little while, the water was beautiful. the kids came back from their tour very excited because they had seen a lot of fish. We had lunch around the pool, the food was excellent and the service first class.

muchas gracias amigos de Uvas.

im glad you have a nice day with us

saludos

eduardo:)

Ship's excursions do visit Playa Uvas, but are planned for in the daily total of visitors. You won't be overcrowded!

(...and you CAN just jump in a cab at the port, pay about $10 for 4 people, and do this on your own with an advance reservation from the Playa Uvas website.)

I am hoping to go to Play Uvas end of Jan. Do we NEED a reservation or can we just go? do you know? Also-how much was the "all inclusive for food and drink" Is there one without the kayak/snorkeling? THANKS !

I am hoping to go to Play Uvas end of Jan. Do we NEED a reservation or can we just go? do you know? Also-how much was the "all inclusive for food and drink" Is there one without the kayak/snorkeling? THANKS !

If you have a special request...for example, an all-inclusive without the kayak/snorkeling...just email Eduardo. He's pretty flexible and I'm sure he'll try his best to accomodate your request.

To maintain Playa Uvas's uniqueness, they take reservations so that they can plan for the amount of people on any given day. I think they reserve a certain number of spaces for walk-ins, a certain number of spaces for those doing excursions, a certain number of spaces for all inclusive...you CAN just show up, but they certainly go all out for you when they know you're coming!

Have a great time at Playa Uvas...I'll be there in 4 days!!

We visited Playa Uvas Last Friday, 12/29/06 we were onboard the NCL Sun, There were 2 couples and one 11 year old, we took a taxi from the pier Downtown, Punta Langosta, cost us $15.00 we were greeted by Carmen and she introduced us to all who would be helping us though out the day, of course she said the bartender would be our best friend, and he was!! We had and all inclusive stay, and it was great overall, we were treated like VIPS, First we Clear Kayaked, It was ok , I was expecting to be more on my own but you stay with a group, and go aways up the beach where there is a big school of fish, they feed them and come right under your Kayaks, then you turn around and head back, staying together as a group, didn't see a whole lot other than that. It was ok, but I was pretty tired when I got back, Then we had only a few minutes to get ready for Snorkeling, I felt very rushed,and barely had time to get my snorkel gear out of the locker we rented. One of us was to tired to go and did not want to feel rushed, so she stayed behind and enjoyed the great Beach Beds, Had I known before hand that the do snorkel tours all day, I would have just said no and went on a later trip, as you are grouped with the cruise ship quicky tours , So for others keep this in mind, If you just do the Snorkel then its no problem, I enjoyed the Snorkeling much more, Pedro pointed out 2 large spiney Lobsters hiding under big hunks of coral, and 2 Moray Eels, that was really cool, but you had to dive down about 12 to 14 feet to see them, also saw a small sting ray and of course a bunch of fish. They will let you keep the Snorkeling equipment and use it for the rest of the day, and you can see a lot of stuff right off the beach, we really enjoyed that, one from our group had a Massage and was grinning from ear to ear, so it must have been good, The drinks were great, nice cold strong Margaritas, Had so many I lost count!!! The lunch they serve is wonderful, they even reserved us a table so the other cruise ship quicky tours wouldn't take all the places,

We all had Grilled Grouper and it was Fantastic, of course more drinks to go with it too, my daughter had a hamburger that had all of us drooling over before we got our meal

we left around 4 pm and chalked it up to one fine day, and would do it again in a heartbeat, the only negative was the rush between Kayaking and Snorkeling, now I know for next time

Thanks Playa Uvas for a Great Day

Cheers

Gerry

We visited Playa Uvas Last Friday, 12/29/06 we were onboard the NCL Sun, There were 2 couples and one 11 year old, we took a taxi from the pier Downtown, Punta Langosta, cost us $15.00 we were greeted by Carmen and she introduced us to all who would be helping us though out the day, of course she said the bartender would be our best friend, and he was!! We had and all inclusive stay, and it was great overall, we were treated like VIPS, First we Clear Kayaked, It was ok , I was expecting to be more on my own but you stay with a group, and go aways up the beach where there is a big school of fish, they feed them and come right under your Kayaks, then you turn around and head back, staying together as a group, didn't see a whole lot other than that. It was ok, but I was pretty tired when I got back, Then we had only a few minutes to get ready for Snorkeling, I felt very rushed,and barely had time to get my snorkel gear out of the locker we rented. One of us was to tired to go and did not want to feel rushed, so she stayed behind and enjoyed the great Beach Beds, Had I known before hand that the do snorkel tours all day, I would have just said no and went on a later trip, as you are grouped with the cruise ship quicky tours , So for others keep this in mind, If you just do the Snorkel then its no problem, I enjoyed the Snorkeling much more, Pedro pointed out 2 large spiney Lobsters hiding under big hunks of coral, and 2 Moray Eels, that was really cool, but you had to dive down about 12 to 14 feet to see them, also saw a small sting ray and of course a bunch of fish. They will let you keep the Snorkeling equipment and use it for the rest of the day, and you can see a lot of stuff right off the beach, we really enjoyed that, one from our group had a Massage and was grinning from ear to ear, so it must have been good, The drinks were great, nice cold strong Margaritas, Had so many I lost count!!! The lunch they serve is wonderful, they even reserved us a table so the other cruise ship quicky tours wouldn't take all the places,

We all had Grilled Grouper and it was Fantastic, of course more drinks to go with it too, my daughter had a hamburger that had all of us drooling over before we got our meal

we left around 4 pm and chalked it up to one fine day, and would do it again in a heartbeat, the only negative was the rush between Kayaking and Snorkeling, now I know for next time

Thanks Playa Uvas for a Great Day

Cheers

Gerry

Sounding better all the time! Thanks! How MUCH for your wonderful day per person? I have six people I have to budget for! THANKS!

Sounding better all the time! Thanks! How MUCH for your wonderful day per person? I have six people I have to budget for! THANKS!

I did both kayak and snorkel, open bar and lunch , it was 59.00 each for adults

and $42.00 for my 11 year old also plan on a little for tips, they earned it

80spit covered my review in a nutshell. We had a great day, a GREAT day. We will definitely be at Playa Uvas again on our next visit to Cozumel. I'll just add a few things.

One thing to know about Cozumel is, it's a very busy cruise town. The day we were in town there were 4 ships in port. (Thats 10,000 cruisers, not counting the other tourists.) So it's important to make plans that allow for the extra heavy crowds at the open beachs or more popular spots that the cruise excursions visit. With that in mind Playa Uvas is a great option. They don't overbook the facility and it's a private club.

Playa Uvas is a short cab ride from the pier. Walk to the end of the pier and cross the main boulevard to the line of taxi's. There are plenty of sedans and a pretty good number of vans. If you are two or more, you can spread your arms out real big to say (GRANDE) and they will allow a van to pass up the sedans to accomodate you. We were 4 adults and 1 very charming little girl, and it was $15 for the ride.

Carmen was warm and wonderful. Our waiter was ever diligent and we never had an empty glass. (This can be a problem if you have the open bar option!! LOL Those margaritas are GOOD!) Playa Uvas is host to several of the cruise excursion folks, so they come and go all day. But this should cause you no concern whatsoever, as the staff makes sure that their day resort guests get first priority. We had beach lounge chairs and a couple of umbrellas (included). We even got one of those incredible beach beds (also included). The key here is...arrive earlier than later in the day. Although there were plenty of beach chairs to be had, there are only 6-8 of those beach beds, and they get scooped up quickly.

The clear kayaking was fun, but a pretty good little work out with the seas being pretty active that day. But again, don't be concerned, if you get a little tired, one of the guides paddles up next to you and will tow you in. No one makes fun of you, frankly they are jealous! :D

If you are kayaking and snorkeling, they will try to get you to go in the very next group. I'm sure this is because they want to make sure you have the optimal experience, but don't be afraid to say "no gracias" and take a little siesta in your chair and join a later group for the other half of your adventure. They are more than accomodating for any variation of your day that you want to have.

Lunch was excellent. Order the fresh catch, whatever it is.

I never made it into the little shop, but the restrooms were very clean and there are lockers (extra fee) available. I rented one, but never used it....however I managed to forget to return the key. Sorry Eduardo! :o But that's prolly why they charge the fee! LOL

And yes, the massage is apparently heaven...so don't pass that up.

Just also want to point out, the beach is course sand and not a white sandy powder beach. Flip flops will do just fine to protect those nicely pedicured toes. Also the water line is rockier rather than smoother. This isn't a problem for me, as those rocks make great places for fish to hang out for snorkeling. But I would suggest that you bring aqua socks or water shoes to protect any delicate tootsies.

This time of year, the water is 79ish. So cool when you enter, divine once you are in.

Again, I repeat....We had a great day, a GREAT day. We will definitely be at Playa Uvas again on our next visit to Cozumel.

Thanks for the great review!! Question- did you just show up or did your prebook to go there? If you pre booked-did you go to their site or what? It sounds like a great place. I am hesitant of the all inclusive as it is almost impossible to eat and drink $80-$90 worth for two people!! Did you happen to check out their ala carte prices? Thanks!

Thanks for the great review!! Question- did you just show up or did your prebook to go there? If you pre booked-did you go to their site or what? It sounds like a great place. I am hesitant of the all inclusive as it is almost impossible to eat and drink $80-$90 worth for two people!! Did you happen to check out their ala carte prices? Thanks!

Karen...you need to prebook as if its a busy day, you won't get in. The all-inclusive is very worth it. Lunch was great, it was a good $15 a plate sort of lunch. Drinks are about $9 each on the ship. So just food and drink wise, the math does work. You are guaranteed nice lounges and waited on hand and foot. Plus the snorkeling and kayaking.

There are no water toys. It's nice, quiet and peaceful. It's a place to relax and enjoy the sea. If you are looking for the parasailing, jet ski type action...then prolly some of the other beaches might be more for you. I'm just less of a crowd person.

I didn't check out the ala carte menu, however you can purchase just a entrance pass for $7 then pay as you go for everything else. Did you see their website? It's http://www.playauvas.com/default.asp

And the price list for the various types of inclusiveness is http://www.playauvas.com/images/PlayaUvasPackages.pdf

Go to the website and email Eduardo, he is a wealth of information!:D

We went to Playa Uvas during our Halloween Cruise. We visited their web site prior to our cruise. I needed to find a place that I could dive and the wife could just hang out and get a massage. Playa Uvas was perfect. We pre-registered and they sent us an invoice via paypal to pay a deposit. When we arrived, they immediately knew who we were and everything was set up perfectly. I went on a two tank boat dive and DW got her massage. Upon return from my dive I ate an order of Chicken Quisadillas that were excellent. Two non-alcholic drinks per person were included with the day fee. Overall the facilities were very good and I highly recommend Playa Uvas as my new favorite beach spot in Cozumel. We are going back when we again cruise to Cozumel in April.

Kevin