Playa Uvas

rscima

My husband and I were at Playa Uvas on January 10th. We almost didn't get there since it was so windy thus making the seas rough. But the Captain finally got us docked and off we went to Playa Uvas. It was an easy 15 minute taxi ride to Uvas. We were greeted very warmly by Carmen. She told us about the facilities and gave us a quick tour. We were the only two people there since a lot of ships that were scheduled to be in port didn't dock.

Playa Uvas was wonderful and it's just as beautiful as the website pictures. We did the snorkel package which included lunch and the infamous open bar.

The chicken fajita's were delicious.......they came with fresh salsa, and a great guacomole and beans too. We had beer, magarita's and pina colada's.

Our waiter for the day couldn't do enough for us but in a way where it wasn't intrusive. He would stop by every so often to check on us and see if we needed another margarita perhaps??

The sea was pretty rough that day so since I am not a strong swimmer I didn't snorkel but my husband did and said the snorkeling was very good. He thought the snorkel guide did an awsome job of finding sea life to look at. Now I wish I would have went........next time.

I also was on a mission to see the "glass fusion jewelry" that stircrzy has talked about in her review. Carmen told me that the gentleman who makes the jewelry went back to Argentina. I think she could tell that I was really disappointed because about an hour later his partner came with a big bin full of jewelry just for me to look at. She makes very unique necklaces, earrings, key chains and ash trays. It was nice to purchase something that was different. My friends loved their necklaces. I bought quite a few necklaces and she gave me a bit of a deal because of that. I wish she had a website where you could buy them from her.

Even if more people would have been there it still would have been a very quiet and relaxing day. It's very low key. I don't know if I would recommend it for children.......maybe well behaved ones. But I felt it was more adult oriented. I can't say enough good things about Playa Uvas. The staff, food, drinks and the facility itself were all wonderful. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Jodi

Hi,

We will be in Cozumel on Fri Jan 26th and would like to visit Playa Uvas as it seems just perfect! From the pictures and the postings, it doesn't seem as if there is a good sandy beach or access to water for an infant. Seems to be more rocky (great for snorkeling though!) - is this a correct assumption?

Also, will she be allowed to swim in the swimming pools?

Thanks in advance,

Sue

Hi,

We will be in Cozumel on Fri Jan 26th and would like to visit Playa Uvas as it seems just perfect! From the pictures and the postings, it doesn't seem as if there is a good sandy beach or access to water for an infant. Seems to be more rocky (great for snorkeling though!) - is this a correct assumption?

And she is 14 months old - will she be charged a fee?

Thanks in advance,

Sue

My husband and I went to Playa Uvas last week and had a wonderful time! There was just us and one more couple on the beach that day and it was like having your own private beach! Very relaxing and enjoyable... We went snorkeling and saw some beautiful fish, had wonderful fajitas and drinks and I very much enjoyed a massage on the beach! I did some snorkeling on my own right off the shore and saw many fish there as well. It was a great day and just wish we could have stayed longer! The staff was all very friendly and attentive and made sure our visit was memorable!

I also was on a mission to see the "glass fusion jewelry" that stircrzy has talked about in her review. Carmen told me that the gentleman who makes the jewelry went back to Argentina. I think she could tell that I was really disappointed because about an hour later his partner came with a big bin full of jewelry just for me to look at. She makes very unique necklaces, earrings, key chains and ash trays. It was nice to purchase something that was different. My friends loved their necklaces. I bought quite a few necklaces and she gave me a bit of a deal because of that. I wish she had a website where you could buy them from her.

Jodi

Willy went back to Argentina, but Sole is the actual glass fusion artist...and she's still available on Cozumel at Playa Uvas!

Since you mentioned wishing for a website:

Glass Fusion Jewelry and Other Art by Sole at Playa Uvas

I'm glad you had a great time at Playa Uvas and especially that you liked the jewelry. Would I steer you wrong?!?

Stircrazy, thanks for sharing photos of the glass fusion pieces.Do you or anyone else recall the price range of the ashtrays? Thanks!

I bought a bunch of items...including ashtrays. I think they were a bargain because I bought so much other artwork.

My standard answer..."Email Eduardo"...will work for this answer, too.

BTW...if you see something you like on that photosite it can be shipped to you!! It isn't my website...it belongs to Sole!

stircrzy,

I knew you wouldn't steer me wrong. We all love our necklaces from Sole. She is such a sweet girl and was really helpful when I couldn't make up my mind. If you are looking for something different and unique this is the way to go. I even received complements from fellow passengers asking me where I got my necklace.

Eduardo,

You are very welcome. We absolutely loved our day at Playa Uvas!!

Jodi

Oh geeze....do you really allow a 14 month old baby in the pool?? if so, then I guess I won't swim there either

Ugh...my feelings on babies and swim diapers are pretty well known on the carnival thread LOL

I really wish that some of these resorts would cater to adults, I hope that this one would ...

if not maybe the reef club if they have a pool for adults. I don't like babies in pools period...if they aren't potty trained

And she is 14 months old

Sue: Good grief, why in the world would you subject the rest of us to the unsanitary conditions of an infant in the beautiful pool at this resort? There's a reason the ships have kids' pools (otherwise known as giant toilets). Please be a responsible parent and show some consideration for the other guests who do not want to be subjected to the results of a non-potty trained infant.

No worries everyone. We don't enjoy poop in pools either and we've gone to many other resorts and been perfectly fine not having our baby in the pools. No big deal - there are so many other things we can do and she can enjoy. But I had to ask as some resorts do have baby pools or offer individual baby tubs.

No poop for anyone - enjoy and relax...we will!

Sue

Can anyone tell me what prices are for drinks and for beers at Playa Uvas?

Check this out!

I believe that beers cost $3.00 ( I think I read it somewhere in this thread) but you can check out the packages that they offer(on the link below). They have packages that includes an open bar!!:p

http://playauvas.com/images/PlayaUvasPackages.pdf

I didn't catch how old the kid was at first until sharecruiser made a comment about it. In Mexico, they don't refer to how old the baby is by 14 months old...it's a little different. lol...I'm sure Eduardo will come back and clarify for us.

Don't get me wrong I love children but I just wouldn't get in a swimming pool with babies in them.

No worries everyone. We don't enjoy poop in pools either and we've gone to many other resorts and been perfectly fine not having our baby in the pools. No big deal - there are so many other things we can do and she can enjoy. But I had to ask as some resorts do have baby pools or offer individual baby tubs.

No poop for anyone - enjoy and relax...we will!

Sue

What a wonderful attitude, Sue!

Hope your trip is full of fun and enjoyment...for your whole family, especially the little one!

~~~~~~~ Thanks for your prompt reply Eduardo and for the wise decision made by UVAS for everyone's safety! e Coli and other bacteria from swim diapers are a real threat

~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Sue for being a great and responsible mom! A lot of parents just don't realize that ship pools, small resort pools, etc are NOT like their YMCA at home (ie, heavy chlorine, extra filtration and full time pool people to maintain the swim with baby pools) Swim diapers are just not safe in these smaller pools that were never designed to have babies swimmin in em :) Thanks

Sue I have read that some parents bring a little blow up pool, or one of those little yellow "duckie" plastic baths, and put that on balcony, or even in an out of way area on the deck of the ship and that seems to be a good option, plus of course the OCEAN :) Happy cruising to you and your little one

Hi all, we were in Coz last Thur. There were 6 ships in port that day, and I had considered Paradise Beach but was concerned about the crowd, so I opted for a reservation at Playa Uvas, and was not dissappointed.

We did the option for snorkel gear and two drinks. We were greeted by Carmen on arrival, and she explained where everything was. We laid around on beach chairs for a bit, and then joined the returning kayak group for the snorkel tour and it was great. Because there was sideways current at the time, we walked up the beach and did a drift snorkel back to Uvas, very nice! Don't expect reef, but we did see coral heads, many fish, and the drift aspect was fun and easy - our guides made sure we were all together and safe. Entry into the water is through some broken coral, etc., but once in, swimming is nice. For lunch we had some excellent shrimp tacos and nachos.

My basis for comparison is the Reef Club, which is also nice, but we didn't want to drink all day this time. Playa Uvas is a bit more rustic than the Reef Club, which is part of a hotel, but if you have any interest in snorkel or kayak, then the activities at Uvas are a big plus - I'll be back!

My husband and I were at Playa Uvas on January 10th. We almost didn't get there since it was so windy thus making the seas rough. But the Captain finally got us docked and off we went to Playa Uvas. It was an easy 15 minute taxi ride to Uvas. We were greeted very warmly by Carmen. She told us about the facilities and gave us a quick tour. We were the only two people there since a lot of ships that were scheduled to be in port didn't dock.

Playa Uvas was wonderful and it's just as beautiful as the website pictures. We did the snorkel package which included lunch and the infamous open bar.

The chicken fajita's were delicious.......they came with fresh salsa, and a great guacomole and beans too. We had beer, magarita's and pina colada's.

Our waiter for the day couldn't do enough for us but in a way where it wasn't intrusive. He would stop by every so often to check on us and see if we needed another margarita perhaps??

The sea was pretty rough that day so since I am not a strong swimmer I didn't snorkel but my husband did and said the snorkeling was very good. He thought the snorkel guide did an awsome job of finding sea life to look at. Now I wish I would have went........next time.

Even if more people would have been there it still would have been a very quiet and relaxing day. It's very low key. I don't know if I would recommend it for children.......maybe well behaved ones. But I felt it was more adult oriented. I can't say enough good things about Playa Uvas. The staff, food, drinks and the facility itself were all wonderful. We would go back in a heartbeat.

Jodi

This is for Jodi:

I'd very much like to know about the jewelry you bought; the key word for me was "different"". What kind of stones does she use for her jewelry, or is it beads? Is it silver? Who directed you to her? Can you give me a little more info? Also, how was the temperature in the water? Thank you...

Artseeker

Jodi

I'd very much like to know about the jewelry you bought; the key word for me was "different"". What kind of stones does she use for her jewelry, or is it beads? Is it silver? Who directed you to her? Can you give me a little more info? Also, how was the temperature in the water? Thank you...

Artseeker