Playa Uvas

rscima

Whoo whoo....thanks for the great new pictures of Playa Uvas !!

Looks beautiful ! I want to be sure to check out the "glass jewelry" early enough now too..thanks for the tip! I like the fact that Uvas has lockers to rent, that makes the shopping part "do able"

ladyintx~I ordered a camera online (leisure pro dot com) It was just a cheap underwater camera ($16 I think) I thought it was going to be a disposable one with a flash (that was all I wanted a flash) When I got the camera it is actually a real one that holds film and then is in a waterproof case. They had 800 speed in it, I will definatly use it again. I wish I had used it in Jamaica! I just used a waterproof camera I bought at walmart for $10 and the pictures are so grainy!!

Xrayvin - thanks for the review and pics! Just a couple of questions for you:

> How early did you get there, and when did it start to really get busy?

> Can you snorkel whenever you want (on your own), or do they just let you do the tour and that's it?

> What do you mean by the "no drinking rule?"

Thanks much!

We were at Playa Uvas on Thursday, February 1. There were six of us. We grabbed a taxi (a van) at the International Pier, which cost us $20 for the entire group. On the way back to the pier, we split up into two cabs, which ended up being the same price ($10 per cab).

Carmen greeted me by name as we walked in, which surprised and impressed everyone in the group (since I had made all the arrangements). We purchased only the basic $7 admission, as we were really only interested in lounging in the sun. Our server was Rafael (spelling?), and he did a great job. He was funny, and did a wonderful job of keeping us supplied with drinks. We also ate there; the chips, salsa, quacamole, and mexican nachos were all delicious.

There were 7 ships in Cozumel when we were there. Even though there were plenty of people around, we never felt crowded. We did go out into the water - I love that beautiful warm, Caribbean water. While the beach at Playa Uvas is a little rockier than at someplace like Paradise Beach, it was no problem walking out, even with bare feet. We all had a wonderful time, and would return again (in fact, I'm ready right now).

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

Tom

ladyintx~I ordered a camera online (leisure pro dot com) It was just a cheap underwater camera ($16 I think) I thought it was going to be a disposable one with a flash (that was all I wanted a flash) When I got the camera it is actually a real one that holds film and then is in a waterproof case. They had 800 speed in it, I will definatly use it again. I wish I had used it in Jamaica! I just used a waterproof camera I bought at walmart for $10 and the pictures are so grainy!!

Yea, I forgot all of my water cameras at home so I bought a reusable water camera (with no flash) in Merida and it was noo good! :rolleyes: Your pics came out a lot better than mine! lol.. mine came out grainy and you can barely see the fish. Oh well, better luck next time.

Thanks for info!

Xrayvin - thanks for the review and pics! Just a couple of questions for you:

> How early did you get there, and when did it start to really get busy?

> Can you snorkel whenever you want (on your own), or do they just let you do the tour and that's it?

Thanks much!

I'm not Xrayvin but i can answer some of these questions for you.

A) You can snorkel anytime you want to!

A) I think what he meant by the "no drinking rule" is that as of a rule of thumb you don't want to eat or drink to much before you go swimming, it's the same for snorkeling! You can drink but you don't wanna go out there drunk or full...it's for your own safety!! I was able to drink 2 drinks before I went snorkeling.

Tom,

Thanks for your review! We had the same Server!! He was awesome!! : )

We were at Playa Uvas on Thursday, February 1. There were six of us. We grabbed a taxi (a van) at the International Pier, which cost us $20 for the entire group. On the way back to the pier, we split up into two cabs, which ended up being the same price ($10 per cab).

Carmen greeted me by name as we walked in, which surprised and impressed everyone in the group (since I had made all the arrangements). We purchased only the basic $7 admission, as we were really only interested in lounging in the sun. Our server was Rafael (spelling?), and he did a great job. He was funny, and did a wonderful job of keeping us supplied with drinks. We also ate there; the chips, salsa, quacamole, and mexican nachos were all delicious.

There were 7 ships in Cozumel when we were there. Even though there were plenty of people around, we never felt crowded. We did go out into the water - I love that beautiful warm, Caribbean water. While the beach at Playa Uvas is a little rockier than at someplace like Paradise Beach, it was no problem walking out, even with bare feet. We all had a wonderful time, and would return again (in fact, I'm ready right now).

Feel free to ask me any questions you might have!

Tom

Thanks for your review! We had the same Server!!:p He was awesome!!

Personally, I always like the excursions that keep an eye on alcohol consumption before a swimming. It tells me they really take our safety seriously. I've found this true for many boating excursions I've been on as well. But no problem with the alcohol flowing AFTER you finish your water activities!:D

Wow, this is an amazing thread! Thanks for all of the great advice, I will definitely be coming here March 5th! Before I logged into CC I looked into Playa Uva's Web site & sent an e-mail to Eduardo. He responded within the hour! I can't wait to come here!

Stircrazy, sounds like you'll be there about a week or so before me. I'll be there on March 13th. Can't wait. We're doing back-to-back cruises on the new NCL Pearl. First cruise is 9-day Southern Caribbean, followed by a 5-day Western. Playa Uvas will be our second to last port so we'll really be ready for some of that famous pampering!

Perhaps this has been covered in the preceding 26 pages but can anyone speak to the massages at Playa Uvas. Cost? Quality? Setting?

Any guidance is appreciated.

My wife had one on our last trip. She said the massage was wonderful and well worth the low price. I believe the prices are listed on the Playa Uvas web site.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

Perhaps this has been covered in the preceding 26 pages but can anyone speak to the massages at Playa Uvas. Cost? Quality? Setting?

Quality is comparable to any high-end resort massage I've had worldwide. Luz is a pro! The massage is much better than those onboard the ship...with no high pressure for you to purchase those Steiner products.

The cost is very fair. Check the website for Playa Uvas price list.

Here's a photo of the setting...and Luz!

I wouldn't say I'm a massage pro, but I've probably had about 20 or so - the one from Luz was definitely one of the top 3. She was wonderful and the seaside setting so relaxing. (This was the first one I've had on the beach and was wondering if I'd be apprehensive with people watching...I wasn't and it was lovely.) The cost was a little than those in Costa Maya, but much cheaper than the ship (I think I could have gotten 3 from Luz for the price of one on our ship!!!) She used aromatherapy oils and it was VERY relaxing. I chose the relaxation massage, but you could also choose deep tissue also. I went for 30 minutes, which entailed back, arms, neck and scalp. My only regret is I wish I had taken the full hour...would have been heaven!!! - GO FOR THE FULL HOUR!!!!