What percentage suits vs. Tuxedos on formal night?

alibee

I've been on 4 RSSC cruises ranging from 7 to 14 nights, and the tux/dark suit ratio has been different on each one. I don't think I've seen more than 60% tuxes, though, and usually it looks more like 50/50 to me. Your husband will feel very comfortable wearing a dark suit.

Just got back from the 6/7 11 day cruise which had 3 formal nights. I was actually a little surprised how many people wore suits. Being 3 formal nights I was expecting more Tuxes. I'd guess about 30% wore suits but that is real hard to guess since we didn't go to the show where we could have seen more people together.

From the cruises we've taken, it seems to depend a bit on itinerary. In Europe, it was 60% tux, 40% suit. Through the Panama Canal, it was 40% - 60%. Our five other Radisson cruises had no formal nights. For myself, I always wear a dark suit.

Hope this helps,

Richard

Alibee, he will certainly not have to bring both a tux and a suit. I have done many port intensive RSSC cruises, and have noticed the ratio to be about 50/50, maybe even less. Don't push him to bring a tux is my advice, since you asked. I think on the longer cruises where there are lots of sea days, the men usually have more of a tendency to bring the tux. Last cruise I was on was 11 nights, and there were 3 formal nights on our sea days, all the rest were ccc except for one "informal" night where at least a jacket is required.

Hi Alibee,

My wife and I recently went on the Mariner (mid-May 2004) , 7 days, L.A. to Vancouver.

I have always taken a tux on our previous cruises but couldn't bear to do it this time and took my chances by taking a dark blue suit.....I was concerned that I would be out of place, but as it turned out, I believe about 80-90 percent of men on formal night on this particular cruise were in dark suits and not tuxes....I hope you have a great cruise!!

Dwight

So. Calif.

Depends on the ship. We recently returned from the Navigator to Bermuda. they had no formal nights, 3 informal (jackets, tie optional) and the rest country casual. Very few tux passengers on that cruise.

Archived