Ft Lauderdale hotels

cruise4fam

Any suggestions on hotels by the pier in Ft. Lauderdale? We are leaving in July from that port. Also any one know how far away the airport is from the pier? Been many years since we left from Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks,

Janice :o

The pier is about a 5-10 minute drive from the airport. The last two times we have taken a taxi, about $15-$20 for two with tips.

The next time, we are driving in a day early. Through recommendations on this board, we are booked at the Amerisuites. They have a complimentary breakfast and shuttle to the airport and cruise port.

http://www.amerisuites.com/reservations/locationdetail.asp?facid=3929

I booked directly with the hotel at $116 per night, AAA rate. When I posted this on the board, I was directed to try www.valuetrips.com for a lower rate. They have some much lower rates listed. I am waiting now to see if I will be able to book through them.

The airport and pier are very close together.

I didn't care for the Amerisuites. We drove by a few times and it looked nice from the road and so many people on this board seem to be fans so we gave it a try. We did not spend the night.

Embassy Suites, Hyatt Pier 66, Renaissance, Marriott Harbour Beach are all very nice. Even the Sheraton Yankee Trader and Yankee Clipper are better than Amerisuites IMHO.

We booked Amerisuites through Valuetrips.com last year for $79.00 and will probably do the same this December. We had some trouble trying to get the shuttle in the morning, so we hired a van with some other couples for a reasonable rate.

Any suggestions on hotels by the pier in Ft. Lauderdale? We are leaving in July from that port. Also any one know how far away the airport is from the pier? Been many years since we left from Ft. Lauderdale.

Thanks,

Janice :o

I prefer Boutique Hotels and stay at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas.

The Renaissance across the from the pier is also very nice as is the Embassy Suites down the street.

I highly recommend the Embassy Suites in FLL. The hotel is very clean & attractive. Plus you get a full suite as opposed to a single room and a full breakfast is included. They will pick you up from the airport & take you to the cruise terminal as well (which is 5 minutes away). It's located in an area with many stores (for last minute items) & dining options (try the Bimini Boatyard).

I prefer Boutique Hotels and stay at the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas.

The Renaissance across the from the pier is also very nice as is the Embassy Suites down the street.

We stayed at the Riverside in Dec. both pre and post cruise. Would not hesitate to stay again. Beautiful Hotel and right in the middle of Las Olas Blvd. 2 thumbs up!:D

I just have to throw in my two cents' worth about the Yankee Sheraton Clipper. I booked this hotel for my family for a one-day pre-cruise stay and to cut to the chase, it was awful. This hotel is "tired." I booked it online and requested a non-smoking room. At check in, I was told that they couldn't guarantee a non-smoking room and, in fact, we had a very stinky/smoky room that was across the "bridge" (other side of highway) and about as far away from the hub of the hotel as you can get. The restaurant has the potential to be awesome - outdoor dining and nice menu - but it took us 1-1/2 hours to be seated and another 2 hours to be fed. AFter that, the waitress had apparently given us the wrong check and becaise I'd paid the bill with a travelers check and it bore my room number, she called our room at 10:30 p.m., while we were sleeping, and insisted that I come to the restaurant to settle the tab (about a $5.00 diff., it turned out). This all just left a bad taste in my mouth. And I haven't even touched on the rash I developed on my legs and arms that I suffered with throughout my cruise, after swimmming their pool. I know this is long, but if I can prevent someone else from a bad pre-cruise experience, it has been worthwhile.

How can you NOT love the Amerisuites ?

You can usually get it for $60 (sometimes less) on priceline.

for that very measely $60 you get a nice room with fridge etc, if you drove you can leave your car for FREE (this alone is worth $70-$80 in value !!), you get a FREE warm breakfast (eggs, toast, bacon, etc) not just cereal ! You get a FREE shuttle to/from the airport and the pier.

I mean .. wow .. is it a **** hotel ? No its not .. but are you going to find a better value in FLL ? Not even close.

Thought four months in advance was enough time to book my Fort Laud Hotel, WRONG. Turned out it was Fleet Week. Ended up staying at the Hilton Garden Inn by the Airport. Enjoyed the free shuttle from the airport and the free shuttle to the ship on the following day. Located across the street was an outlet mall and several fast food restaurants. Our room was clean and they had free cookies and apples in the lobby. This hotel was fine for an overnight before the cruise. Sure, it wasn't on the water, but we didn't check in untill 8:00pm, so we didn't really care. I prefer Embassy Suites, but this was an acceptable alternative.

We have always enjoyed staying at the Hyatt Pier 66. Just five minutes away. You can leave your car and they will have it washed and ready on your return. On return visits, you will find that they remember names. Happy Sailings..Leslie Swiger:)

How can you NOT love the Amerisuites ?

You can usually get it for $60 (sometimes less) on priceline.

for that very measely $60 you get a nice room with fridge etc, if you drove you can leave your car for FREE (this alone is worth $70-$80 in value !!), you get a FREE warm breakfast (eggs, toast, bacon, etc) not just cereal ! You get a FREE shuttle to/from the airport and the pier.

I mean .. wow .. is it a **** hotel ? No its not .. but are you going to find a better value in FLL ? Not even close.

I agree! Clean rooms, living room space, etc...Not only that, but Outback Steakhouse beside Amerisuites. Walking distance to shopping plaza and you can see the pier from the hotel.

I am glad so many have had good Amerisuites experiences. It was a NIGHTMARE when we stayed there in January. They overbooked, left us waiting in the lobby for HOURS. The toilets were backed up most of the night, the breakfast was not stocked and not cleaned, the shuttle took forever to get to the airport and then to the cruiseport, they were RUDE, the pull out sofa had no sheets and they would not bring us any....

If you do a search on Amerisuites over on the hotel pre stay board, you will find a lot of us who don't like what we went through at that place.

Amerisuites smelled awful and wasn't particularly clean...but it WAS cheap on priceline and the location is primo. I just told myself it was only one night. The breakfast was good, eat hot food or boxed stuff and you don't have to worry much about the kitchen. We took a taxi, the shuttle (if it ever arrived) was inefficient, but it's so close the cost of a cab is minimal.

We last stayed at Amerisuites in October. Had 2 rooms and they were both pretty nice and clean--no smells! We love it that we can book at valuetrips.com for $69 and leave the car there free--we cruised for 10 days so parking at the port would have been $120, it's like they pay us to stay there!! Nice!! (And we get into Ft. Lauderdale a day early and have a great tiime at "Howl At The Moon" dueling piano bar the night before as a "warm up"!!)

Barbara :D

Barbara, where is that? Is it *in* the Amerisuites, or nearby? (the piano bar, I mean :))

Howl At The Moon is on the 3rd floor of the Beachplace complex on Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd.

Great fun!!

http://www.howlatthemoon.com/fort_lauderdale_tonight.html

We like to eat at 15th Street Fisheries (downstairs is casual and much less expensive), for address and menus:

http://www.15streetfisheries.com/

Then we take the water taxi to Howl At the Moon in Beachplace (we love to take the watertaxi!!! beautiful!!!! I especially love it at night! -- the water taxi picks you up out front of 15th Street Fisheries (just tell the water taxi guys where you want to go and they will tell you how to do it). It was $5 for all day. Here is the schedule of pick up times and stops:

http://www.watertaxi.com/FortLauderdale/FLLStop4.Asp

If you stay too long at Howl At The Moon to catch the water taxi-:D you can catch a cab back to your car or the hotel if you don't have a car. If you have a car at the Fisheries and staying at the Amerisuites you don't have to travel but a few blocks on 10th street to the hotel and it is not a busy street.

I can't wait!!! Just talking about it makes me want to be there!!!! You gotta' love Fort Lauderdale!!!

Barbara :D

Archived