Vancouver Departure ???

HACKT

Anyone embarked on a Princess Cruise in Vancouver (Canada Place Pier) lately and, if so, any tips on how to avoid long lines? We're going on Diamond Princess in June and I only see reviews on sailing from Seattle.

I don't know if you can avoid the line-ups at Vancouver though it does move fast (I think we were through in 30 minutes last time). Princess usually advises arriving later than sooner to avoid line-ups which makes sense as everyone's inclination would be to get there early to get into their cabin. I haven't tried it though as I've always just joined the line after the plane arrives in Vancouver and I've taxied to the Canada Place.

While I have not used Canada Place for a few years, my past experience was not good. The long line ups were it would seem the direct fault of the US customs officials. For two hours there were just THREE, for 2000 passengers, when we finaly got to the front five more showed up, muttering lame excuses for showing up so late. It left Vancouver in a very bad light, for which the port seemed blameless, it crossed my mind however that that incident may have taken place on purpose. john

We were on the Island Princess out of Vancovuer last year. We arrived at the normal time- at beginning of the time permitted- and since I had a business meeting, was recommended that I do not board but come later. I came approx 1/2 hr prior to the permitted departure time and there was no line ups

Canada Place is a great location to sit and enjoy the scenery rather than wait in long line ups

One way to limit lines is to do a pre-cruise package with Princess. The day of the cruise we checked in and got our cruise cards at the hotel lobby then boarded the Princess transfer to the ship terminal. We just had to go through the security line.

Last year the holdup was getting through the initial security screen - there were only two ships in port, but it took about 90 minutes just to get through the screening. Customs was a breeze, and the checkin took about 5 minutes. We had arrived at the port at noon or so. Next time, if there's more than one ship in port, we'll just wait until 2:00 pm or so.

I would triple check the depature point .. normally Canada Place is correct. But sometimes in the summer (I know last year the 1-4 July weekend) there were many ships in port and they use ANOTHER pier a lot farther away.

Princess will (should) confirm this to you prior to depature.

There is an nice shopping area called Gas Town near the Canada Place area .. ICE WINE is great to buy there. No suggestions on where to store luggage other than having it dropped off early ... then shopping before checking in.

I was amazed our departure from Vancouver was so fast. I think it took us an hour to 90 minutes to get to the airport from the ship. Very organized. Our original departure on America West was 2pm. The personel at America West asked us if we wanted to go on an earlier flight then 2pm. We said yes and we got on a 10am flight out of Vancouver and we had no trouble going through customes ect. Of course I am not recommending anyone booking a 10am flight but what you can do when you go an check in to your airline to see if there is anything available for the flight prior and if they do have it available see if you can make that flight.

I would triple check the depature point .. normally Canada Place is correct. But sometimes in the summer (I know last year the 1-4 July weekend) there were many ships in port and they use ANOTHER pier a lot farther away.

Princess will (should) confirm this to you prior to depature.

There is an nice shopping area called Gas Town near the Canada Place area .. ICE WINE is great to buy there. No suggestions on where to store luggage other than having it dropped off early ... then shopping before checking in.

Princess may not know until the last day as to which pier may be used. When we arrived in Vancouver last week, we were told that we would go to Canada Place. This came with a little warning, that if traffic was too heavy we would dock at Heatley St, [balentyne Pier], not the best part of town. We were lucky. john

Archived