Host Walt

Reference Material For Disabled Cruise Travel

Sorry. I thought I was on the right forum. Can you point me in the right direction? I am new to this kind of thing.

We've been on countless cruises and have yet to be able to find an accessible one for someone who can't hear. I'm not Deaf (born deaf), but have lost 95% of my hearing due to measles. I read lips, wear hearing aids (which only give me environmental sounds but not speech) and have a great command of the English language. But I can't enjoy the shows or the talks. Does anyone have any recommendations based on your experience or knowledge? I'd REALLY love to enjoy the shows :)

Some cruise lines and itineraries have more visual shows (dancing, magic, acrobats, etc) than verbal shows (singing, comedians, etc). We have found that the ships and itineraries that tend to be multilingual are more visual shows. Think: Mediterranean cruises, South American cruises on MSC and NCL. I woukd think Costa would fall into that category as wrll, but I've never sailed on them.

Newcomer. Great resource, but dated. Pointers to most comprehesive, but reasonably concise, info concerning cruising w/ mobility disabilities in general AND Europe river cruises specifically? THANKS!

We will be on Celebrity Equinox in September and are in Aqua class accessible room. My husband uses a rail to pull himself out of bed as he only has use of his left arm. Do the beds accomodate a rail or can I rent them on the ship?

We have not cruised for years and this will be the first holiday since he has had his disability.

Edited by tiadog

Thank you for posting this.

cwo4wife

One of our wonderful Members, Kathy (Splinter) took the time and effort to capture a lot of useful material from the old Cruise Critic Message Boards that would otherwise have been lost when the old boards are shut down.

As Splinter requested, please use these threads for reference. Please post any additional reference material to these threads (in the correct category) but, if you have any questions or suggestions that arise from these threads, please post them in a separate thread. Thanks.

Again many thanks and a big high five to Kathy for her initiative and for taking the time to undertake this project.

Good work!

The links below will take you to the post that contains Splinter's Resource listings:

Cruise Line Special Services Offices

Resources for Eastern Caribbean for Disabled Cruise Travel

Resources for Western Caribbean for Disabled Cruise Travel

Resources for Mexican Riviera for Disabled Cruise Travel

Resources for Alaska for Disabled Cruise Travel

Resources for South America for Disabled Cruise Travel

Resources for Hawaii for Disabled Cruise Travel

Resources for Europe for Disabled Cruise Travel PART ONE

Resources for Europe for Disabled Cruise Travel PART TWO

Resources for Europe for Disabled Cruise Travel PART THREE

Resources for Europe for Disabled Cruise Travel PART FOUR