July 1-5 QM2 now going to Newport not Statue of Liberty

Malinda1229

My local news last night reported that we will not be in New York Harbor for the fire works. We are now going to Fort Adams Stae Park in Newport RI. We will not be allowed off the ship but will see a 3rd rate 45 minute fireworks display.

I live 30 minutes from this site I have seen the 4th of July celebration, I have seen the 4th of July Celebration in New York it's apples and organges.

Why on earth have they not notified us of this MAJOR change.

Newport fireworks just got better

By Sean Flynn/Daily News staff

http://www.newportdailynews.com

NEWPORT - The city's planned Fourth of July fireworks display on the waterfront doubled in size Friday, thanks to an unexpected visit by the Queen Mary II, which will be the ship's first to Newport.

Cunard Line will pay the city $20,000 for additional fireworks.

The 2,620 passengers of the Queen Mary II will be on a four-day "Independence Day Weekend Cruise," that was originally planned as a "cruise to nowhere" with a return to New York Harbor on July 4 for that city's fireworks.

That all changed when Cunard Line was informed that New York Harbor would be closed to commercial traffic on the Fourth, mainly for security reasons, said David Gevanthor, Cunard's vice president of marketing.

The company started scrambling for an alternative destination and was aware of Newport's fireworks, which Gevanthor said he has seen.

After clearing a port-of-call in Newport with the Coast Guard and state and city officials, Cunard wanted to make sure it had spectacular fireworks for the passengers.

Charles L. Roberts, chairman of the Newport Fireworks Committee, was contacted by Cunard representatives on Friday. He told them the city was planning to spend $20,000 on its fireworks display.

Cunard told Roberts it would match that, so the city will now have a $40,000 fireworks display.

"When you bring the largest ship in the world, what better way to celebrate (than) with fireworks on the Fourth of July," said Gevanthor, confirming the additional donation.

Roberts immediately called Bay Fireworks of Syosset, N.Y., Friday afternoon and told them of the change order.

"They were really excited," Roberts said. "They said one truck was already loaded. They told me, 'We'll start loading another truck.' They promised to give us a spectacular display. 'We'll live up to the expectations of the shipping company,' they said."

Roberts said he also ordered more sand and another backhoe for Fort Adams State Park, where the fireworks will be launched to synchronized computer music this year for the first time.

The display will be visible all along the waterfront.

Gevanthor said the Queen Mary II will be docked at Goat Island, where the Queen Elizabeth II has docked in the past.

"The passengers will have a great view of the fireworks, and the residents of Newport and visitors will have a great view of Queen Mary II," Gevanthor said.

The Queen Mary II was christened in January by Queen Elizabeth II in Southhampton, England, and made its maiden voyage to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., soon afterward. The ship has replaced the Queen Elizabeth II for Cunard's trans-Atlantic crossings.

The passengers will not be allowed to disembark on this visit. The ship will arrive at about 4 p.m. and depart for New York after the fireworks, which begin at 9:15 p.m.

The Queen Mary II will return to Newport on Sept. 18 and Sept. 30 during the ship's "Splendors of Fall" itinerary between New York and Halifax, Nova Scotia, when passengers will spend the day in the city.

As for the fireworks, Roberts stressed that the city is committed to spending $20,000 for its share of the fireworks, but only half of that comes from the city budget. He said the committee still needs the donations that have been pledged by businesses and residents of the city.

The New York Yacht Club and the Preservation Society of Newport County are major donors, he said, but the total of the smaller donations are just as important.

Roberts said he is impressed by the generosity of these donations and cited the $25 donation a 92-year-old woman has made for the past seven years, although she has never seen any of those fireworks displays.

"Her grandson will be visiting her from Washington over the Fourth, and he plans to take her to see them this year," Roberts said.

"Now, she will see a more fabulous fireworks than she ever imagined," he said. "This is the magic of Newport."

I called at 9am spoke with a reservations rep she has put me in contact with a supervisor. THEY KNOW NOTHING OF THIS CHANGE!

I have faxed over the article in the Newport Daily news as well as the "LOCAL NOTICE TO MARINERS" a publication of the US Coast Guard a published on June 22 which CLEARLY states access is denied to the harbor during the Macy's 4th of July Fireworks.

I'm wating for the supervisor to call me back.

What was Cunard going to do wait for all of us to show up on July 1st to tell us of this change???????????

I've just spoken to a Cunard rep and, yes, there has been a change. I was informed that I will be notified "sometime" today as to the details.

I'm sure the change is due to security reasons and it's probably the Coast Guard's doings.

I find it hard to believe that Cunard was clueless about this until just yesterday. I mean, didn't they get clearance for this before they opened the sailing up to bookings?

I would have picked a 7 night Caribbean instead ... I chose this cruise so my family could take part in, what I considered, an historic event. I wanted it to be something my kids would remember forever.

Russ

Won't everyone on the QM2 already have passed security checks? Isn't her home berth in New York? Didn't we all feel really safe to know we'd be in New York Harbor for the fireworks as it will be heavily guarded? Who's going to take care of us up the coast? Wow. REally disappointed here.

I've had some time to think more about this and have concluded that there's not a whole heck of a lot I can do about it so, it's best to make the best of it.

The Coast Guard made the decision and Cunard's hands are, apparently, tied. Yes, I'm disappointed for my kids's sake but, that's the way it goes. Besides, they'll get over it.

The way it was originally, it wasn't a 4nt cruise; it was a 3nt cruise plus a night at anchor within a stone's throw away from the pier. Now, it's a true 4nt cruise, there will still be fireworks, and besides, QM2 is the big draw here. I'm sure the wonderful folks in Newport will come out to welcome us and, as a true manner of decency, we should be thrilled by their warmth and reciprocate.

I have a feeling that the biggest downer will be listening to people whine and moan about something that Cunard couldn't control.

I will say that I am upset that Cunard has yet to formally inform me (the booking agent) as to the change and details. Then again, maybe they're still trying to get the Coast Guard to bend a little.

I suggest everyone pack his or her understanding and humor and have a great time.

Russ

Russ:

You guessed right - Newport loves Cunard. We visited this port twice on QE2. Will be a historic day for Newporters.

You'll like anchoring by the bridge and lighthouse - quite scenic, especially the sunsets.

My sister and her family will be in Newport July 4th booked at the Marriott harbourside. Well, at least one family will be thrilled about this change of venue.

Jeanne

Well for someone who lives 30 minutes from Newport it is heart breaking. Why on earth did I spend all this money to take a cruise back home? Heck I could have saved a ton of money by driving 1 hour round trip!

Sylvia the supervisor at Cunard Reservations finally took my call. It seems Cunard is still working on an acceptable substitute. Newport is not the final answer.

I don't see the humor in this at all

Cunard has said that the Coast Guard's final decision will not be made until later today; NY is NOT totally out of the picture just yet.

However, IF she ends up going to Newport, well, that's just the way it is. I would understand your disappointment (especially in light of the fact that you live close by) but, like I said before, there's nothing that anyone can do about it. People either go, have a great time on a wonderful ship or they go, whine, moan and make everyone around them miserable. I guess they could just cancel and not go at all but, that would mean that they would loose all their money.

BTW, I never said anything about this being funny.

Safe travels.

Russ

It doesn't surprise me that NYC is concerned about security and Cunard would have no choice but to follow the rules.

On Sunday, driving over the Triborough Bridge into Manhattan, we saw and heard 3 fighter jets overhead. I've lived here all my live and have never seen fighter jets over Manhattan. Why are fighter jets flying over Manhattan? It was not a comfortable sight.

I know that I would also be disappointed to have my special plans change, especially that you have no control of the situation..you can't cancel at this point without great penalty. It will still be an amazing experience and I hope that you can feel secure and enjoy yourself.

Here are the 1st 2 pages of the "Notice to Mariners"

Please note the date on the notice June 22.

Sorry Russ I guess I'm one of the whiners...I have lived here all my life, I'm a sailor, I see this coast all the time. I guess we have to be in someones back yard, so it's mine....I just wish it was not.

Will we have a good time?..... I'm sure that the food, the people we meet and the service we receive will all be just wonderful...but the view will be the same old view. I may feel different if we were going south to see the tall ships (that will be sailing from MD to NY) and fireworks in NJ or PA

Coast Guard.txt

I am really upset that they made this change, however I will not let it spoil my cruise. Even though I live in New York, I have never gone to Manhattan to see the fireworks and I thought it would really be great to see it from a ship.

I do hope the coast guard will allow us to come here. Let's keep our fingers crossed!

Helane

40+ Cruises

QM2 7/1/04

No, no, don't get me wrong, I'm not calling anyone a whiner. You have a very valid reason for not wanting to visit Newport. And I'm sure that, if Newport it is, you will be disappointed but you'll not walk around the ship for 4 days stepping on your lip.

But you know as well as I do that there are those who love to make their disappointment known to EVERYONE they encounter and, after hearing it 200 times, it starts to grate on ones nerves.

Cheers.

Russ

Well for someone who lives 30 minutes from Newport it is heart breaking. Why on earth did I spend all this money to take a cruise back home? Heck I could have saved a ton of money by driving 1 hour round trip!

Sylvia the supervisor at Cunard Reservations finally took my call. It seems Cunard is still working on an acceptable substitute. Newport is not the final answer.

I don't see the humor in this at all

Who cares WHERE the ship goes...I would be happy just to be on the ship.

Thanks to Malinda for sharing the article this morning.

Like Linerguy, I first felt the HUGE disappointment when passing on the news to my family, but after thinking about it for awhile, I realized it was 1) out of Cunard’s hands and 2) obviously with our security in mind. So, now I’m back in excitement mode!

With the article sounding like it’s a done deal, and Cunard telling customers that the final decision has not been made yet, I’m still not 100% sure what the gameplan is! (Although after reading previous comments about Cunard Customer Service, I wouldn’t be surprised if they are just appeasing the customers.)

If the article is accurate, then I highly commend Cunard for the $20k contribution of additional fireworks for our benefit! While it’s not the same as the excitement of the fireworks at the Statue of Liberty, it sounds like they have scrambled to prepare “Plan B” and are doing what they can to improve the circumstances. (They certainly could have just cancelled it and said “too bad, not our fault”.)

And while I understand Malinda’s disappointment is greater than other non-locals, I appreciated the advance notice to prepare myself ahead of time. (I can't imagine Cunard notifying 2600 customers individually.) I hope Linerguy’s comment of “others whining” (because they didn’t read Cruise Critic) does not put a damper on our trip!

Since I’m traveling with my family, I can’t commit to meeting everyone on 7/2 at 2 pm in the Commodore Club, but if I can, I’ll look forward to putting “real” names with faces!

I sympathise a lot with your change of itinerary. Sadly Cunard and other lines are increasingly changing itineraries at short notice and not informing passengers until the last minute.

The QM2 is unable to dock in Gibraltar this summer as the authorities decide the cost and technical problems meant it simply isn't viable. This was posted on this board early May. I contacted Cunard and was informed the Gib was on and not to worry. Last Week the cunard itinerary for our cruise changed on their web site to show a 2hr call at Cueta instead of a half day at Gibraltar. I contaced them about this and sure enough hours later the site changed again with the Gibraltar call reinstated. Strange.....

What a shame they couldn't organise Cadiz or Malaga a more suitable alternative and isn't it a shame that they yet to officially notify anyone already booked about the change and at the very least apologise. What's worse is those booking since May when Cunard knew the call was cancelled, haven't been informed and they continue to advertise a crusie knowing it won't be calling there Cunard UK staff were unaware until I asked them to check with the US offices. I expect to be officially told a day or so before our departure. Cancellation or change to an alternative cruise isn't permitted. "Refer to our booking coditions"

I've abridged this summary of their problem to save those that think Cunard can do this and it's all ok because it's the QM2. Personally I think they should be open and honest in their dealings with Passengers.

We now have 4 ports of call instead of 5 and not even an apology despite me writing with my thoughts.

I can understand people's disappointment about not seeing the NYC fireworks but, personally I'm rather excited about this itinerary change to Newport. As a New Yorker I've seen the 4th of July fireworks here a half dozen times. I echo Linerguy's feelings, a three night cruise has now blossomed to a true four night cruise to somewhere.

When I booked the cruise I thought it was rather lame to spend July 4th just moments from the Pier, and a few short blocks from home. It's really not unlike living on east side and then going away to spend the weekend at the Waldorf, what the heck is that?

Now, not only will be aboard for the Maiden July 4th cruise aboard the largest ocean liner on the planet, but, we will also be aboard for QM2's maiden arrival in Newport. We can print up T-shirts, write a little song. And who knows if some bad weather system appears on the horizon maybe we'll wind up in Puerto Rico instead.

It's all about the journey isn't it? We are all holding 'golden tickets' for what promises to be a thrilling trip. See you all at the Commodore Club on Friday at 2pm.

Happy Sails.

Cruiserking

Newport it is. Confirmed by Cunard at 9:30am.

Well the journey will be fun filled for us all. I guess I'm going to make lemonaid.....I can be your personal tour guide telling you all about the "Summer Cottages" or Mansions as we pass or some of the history of Newport.

Looking forward to meeting all of you July 2 @ 2pm...port side????

Malinda,

I admire the way that you are being so gracious about the whole situation. I'm sorry that it's not turning out to be quite the trip that you had planned. You're going with the right attitude, and I know you will have the best time!

Just got off the phone with Cunard. The guy I spoke to said that the fireworks show we are going to see in Newport will be spectacular. He also said that Cunard is giving all their guests a champagne party out on deck for the celebration. As much as I am disappointed about the change, I think we will all have a great time!

See you on board.............

Helane

40+ Cruises

QM2 7/1/04

I just got off the phone with the Director of Customer Relations' assistant (she called me)...the party during the fireworks display will now be OPEN BAR! Now I don't drink often or very much but on this 4th of July I may have one or two!! CHAMPAGNE FOR EVERYONE!!!

Russ,

Thanks for being a reality check. I have lived in both Rhode Island and grew up in New York. The Statue of Liberty fireworks aint goin nowhere. I recall 6 years ago watching them from a Brookly Heights Penthouse.

I find the summer air in NYC a bit heavy, even in the harbor. Newport is no problem for me, and will enjoy the fireworks as Russ's children most likely will.

Malinda,

The glass is half full.

Archived