Galaxy gets Century Treatment???

C 2 C

I noticed that Galaxy's sailing schedule now has a big hole in it. After the March 26 sailing there is no other cruise until May 21, 2007.

Is there a chance that Galaxy will be revamped the Century way?

That's interesting. There was an 11 nite Galaxy cruise previously scheduled for 4/16/07 that was supposedly cancelled because someone had chartered the entire ship. But that would only account for 11 days from the 4/16 date. Some of those people are now booking other cruises with Celebrity's assistance.

When the rest of the spring ta's were released our key account manager told us Galaxy's schedule was still being worked.

Well, we shall just have to see what happens.

When the rest of the spring ta's were released our key account manager told us Galaxy's schedule was still being worked.

Well, we shall just have to see what happens.

I've been (impatiently) waiting for the Galaxy Eastbound TA to open for over a month, but finally gave up when they started canceling trips in April. I just booked the Westerdam spring TA with HAL.

A body can only wait so long without a booking. <G>

Terri

Just got of the phone with Captain's club. The three April sailings are all "chartered". There is a May 1st sailing listed as code red, a dry dock from May 3rd to 12th Followed by a crossing so that it can sail May 21st out of Rome. Nothing is available for booking.

I'm guessing it will leave San Juan for Freeport for a "minor" drydock and a quick May crossing out of Miami or FLL to Rome.

This might be all smoke and mirrors on Celebrity's part because I can't believe three charters in a row... but it could happen..

Century's Nov 9th (after the Xing) sailing is booked full even though it was never open for booking. Perhaps Celebrity wants to show it off to a special group...

Just got of the phone with Captain's club. The three April sailings are all "chartered". There is a May 1st sailing listed as code red, a dry dock from May 3rd to 12th Followed by a crossing so that it can sail May 21st out of Rome. Nothing is available for booking.

I'm guessing it will leave San Juan for Freeport for a "minor" drydock and a quick May crossing out of Miami or FLL to Rome.

This might be all smoke and mirrors on Celebrity's part because I can't believe three charters in a row... but it could happen..

Century's Nov 9th (after the Xing) sailing is booked full even though it was never open for booking. Perhaps Celebrity wants to show it off to a special group...

Century has two sailings: Nov 9 for two nights and Nov 11 for two nights which are non-rev sailings. Invitation only.

Hi, thanks for the posts and the heads-up. I have a call in to Celebrity folks; they professed surprise (and issued the "well, maybe sometime for Galaxy but it hasn't been determined") but when I produced the posts from the board -- you guys are good! -- there was some waffling and a "let me check".

So stay tuned for a cruise news item if it's true...and a resounding silence if not :)) :)

Well, a denial would mean no news report. But I'll let you know here either way. And if anyone else has more to report, please feel free....

Carolyn

Hi, thanks for the posts and the heads-up.

Well, a denial would mean no news report. But I'll let you know here either way. And if anyone else has more to report, please feel free....

Carolyn

How about a Cruise Critic Spy agency... and we could get secret numbers and stuff, and maybe badges and disguises...:cool:

For a Cruise Critic spy agency....

So the word back from headquarters' honchos is, alas, no. There are two back to backs (that's already been reported on this thread -- y'all are always ahead of us) next spring. Here's the word: "Galaxy is not scheduled to enter drydock at all in 2007."

I'd like to say "bummer" but still haven't heard anything from folks onboard Century...(including my husband who is on the ship now) so I don't know how good the changes are (though suspect they're good). The only thing of significance he's said so far is that the balconies are really nice and deep....

Anybody else know anything?

Thanks....

Carolyn

Just curious as to whom may be chartering the whole ship??? Anyone have an idea?

I'm resurrecting this thread because something just occurred to me. Didn't the Century overhaul alter the floor plans of some of the decks somewhat, including some new rooms being created and others moved or changed?

If so, then a Galaxy overhaul in April-May 2007 would seem unlikely to me, because people are already booking cruises on her for the months thereafter. Wouldn't an overhaul that affects the rooms screw up these bookings? Or did a similar thing happen with Century?

Also, I'm trying to figure out what reason X would have for denying/hiding the truth about an overhaul? I'm curious what people think.

Every time I call I get a different answer. The latest RCL person told me it was chartered three times in a row and no drydcok was scheduled at all. Doing a search for April comes up with no results and May only the 21st sailing is available.

It's a bit of a head scratcher and I also agree that they would not be booking later cruises if balconies suddenly replaced outside staterooms without charging the extra for the luxury.

A reason for X's denial of a refurbishment is that they would probably want to make a formal announcement of the overhaul via a press release or perhaps another event. They may not be ready to make such an announcement as of yet. :confused:

I, too, would like to know how the Century's changes were handled insofar as outside cabins suddenly being changed to veranda cabins. Were the people that were already booked into those cabins pleasantly surprised with the free upgrade, or were they moved to other staterooms to open the cabins up for sale?

• 10 months later...
I was in freeport on Friday;l saw a clebrity ship in drydock; could not see the name, but my guess is that isaw the missing galaxy--she is hoisted.

I think the original post is over a year old:eek: I believe Galaxy is sailing Europe.

And Horizon is no longer a Celebrity ship.

But if they remove the thelasotherapy pool, as they did on Century, I'll be reluctant to book her again. Carnival has 'picked up the slack' by enlarging the spa area (21,000 sq ft) on their newest ship (Carnival Splendor), and including a thelasotherapy pool. That, and Celebrity's apparent abandoning of the Caribbean, will (sadly) have me looking to Carnival for future cruises. Already looking at January/09 on Carnival Splendor in a 'Spa Stateroom' (also new) for my DW's birthday cruise.

Come on X, wake up!

The last available ITN for 2008 is a 11 night southern caribbean out of San Juan April 7th.

The first scheduled 11 night Mediterranean isn't until June 9th ( which I am booked ) 2008.

That leaves the last week in April, the month of May, and the first week of June 2008 empty...about a 6 week hole.

I don't yet see any transatlantics for Galaxy until her return back to San Juan on December 5th 2008.

So If anything, she either has three two week charters back to back, or its time for a face lift.

IMHO

Dave:eek:

The first scheduled 11 night Mediterranean isn't until June 9th ( which I am booked ) 2008.

You're a brave man! Given that Century wasn't completely ready in spring 2006, and the mess that Azamara Journey seems to have been in when she first cruised, that might be a risky decision.

I think X is trying to find drydock space in Freeport or Europe and they have not decided on an upgrade prior to the crossing or after the TA.

I think the major change will be in the pool area at the rear. A new sunset bar similar to Century's and more dining options in the pizza/pasta area. That improvement has been very successful on Century.

I hope they don't put in a miniature dance area such as the Rendezvous in Century.. perhaps enlarge it so that at least four couples can dance at one time.. :)

I think the major change will be in the pool area at the rear. A new sunset bar similar to Century's and more dining options in the pizza/pasta area. That improvement has been very successful on Century.

I hope they don't put in a miniature dance area such as the Rendezvous in Century.. perhaps enlarge it so that at least four couples can dance at one time.. :)

I agree - that Sunset Bar area on the Century was a very nice improvement. I have to laugh at your comment about the dance floor in the Rendezvous - how true.

I, too, hope X keeps the T-Pool!!! I really missed it on the Century.

Archived