5/19/06 Alaskan Scenery

SNOWEY

Who did you book the train thru, did you have to walk to the station and how far was it and what time was the train, I would love the quiet one!!:D

I booked the train on line. http://www.whitepassrailroad.com/

You can also call them toll free and ask questions. The telepone number is on the "contact Us" page.

When we went, the cruise ship train was ahead of us. And boy was it full! The depot is about 1/3 of a mile from the ship. Maybe not that far. It is just around the bend from the ship. You cannot miss it. I would make a reservation. We left at 8:15 or there abouts. We got the free water and the commentary. I missed a lot of it because I stood between the cars and took pictures. The commentator said that there was a bear but no one saw it. Hope this helps.

I spent all afternoon until now editing the photos. Is that anal or what?

Claudia

Cruisechick: We did the helicopter, glacier walk (15 minutes) with Temsco. We booked it ourselves. DH did not want to spend 1 hour or more on the glacier. Naturally it is less expensive, but for us plenty of time. We were the last trip of the day and the lighting was gorgeous. The Glacier trip was over the Juneau Ice Fields.

PHILANDSAND: Go ahead and post your pictures. Sometimes we are harder on ourselves than we need to be. I spent another 4 hours redoing the pics yesterday. (I have not posted them and not sure if I will, but I do want to print some so I wanted the best I could get).

Claudia

Snowey,

Your pictures are beautiful. The one of Emerald Lake makes we want to just be there. For some reason I thought Emerald Lake was in Skagway, or near it, but who knows. I am not into driving long distances (anything over an hour is long distance) but I sure wish there were a tour there. Thanks so much for posting them.

Katie: You are so right, Emerald Lake is in Skagway. What did I have there? I have not looked at the pictures caption since I took them in 04. You know, I am sure there are others that are wrong too.

I wonder if there is a bus that can take you up there? It is about 75 miles north of Skagway.

Claudia

Cruisechick: We did the helicopter, glacier walk (15 minutes) with Temsco. We booked it ourselves. DH did not want to spend 1 hour or more on the glacier. Naturally it is less expensive, but for us plenty of time. We were the last trip of the day and the lighting was gorgeous. The Glacier trip was over the Juneau Ice Fields.

Thank you!! Do you have the information for Temsco? If it is cold 15 minutes is enough for me :)

Thank you!! Do you have the information for Temsco? If it is cold 15 minutes is enough for me :)

Lynn: You book it through Orca Enterprises.

http://www.orcaenterprises.com/1-other%20tours.htm

There is a toll free number listed. Much better than trying to email (sometimes I have found that the internet is not always reliable in Alaska) is to call and make a reservation, but bring the telephone number with you. It came in handy when were 2 hours late and had to reschedule. We were lucky to get the last flight out. (We were on the cruise where the captain was removed.) Another suggestion if I may, book in the afternoon because a lot of the morning flights get cancelled due to bad weather, i.e, fog etc. Have fun, it was awesome!

Claudia

FYI-they are located across the street from the cruise terminal.

Great pictures! Wow, Emerald Lake certainly lives up to its name!!

Gorgeous.

I'm doing a northbound out of Vancouver leaving July 1st and your

photos are certainly getting me in the mood for this cruise.

Diane

Diane: One thing I have learned or not learned is to understand how to take white on white pictures. I have plenty of examples that are the wrong way to do it. I have since redited them. Last night DH, DS (in from Austin) & I looked at our video we did w/photos and music. It is just wonderful to relive the trip. The colors of the snow, ice, mountains and sky on the glacier is magical.

The drive from Skagway to Emerald Lake is wonderful but so is the RR ride. You see tons of waterfalls. Whatever you do you can't have a bad time in Alaska. Have fun and thanks for looking at the pictures!

"alaskaned out??" NO way! I love your pics! I want to return in a couple of years...well I want to return now and stay there! Julie

Thanks Julie, I plan to go back again.

Claudia

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

Many of my questions have been answered just by looking at them.

Thank you for taking the time to look at them!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much for sharing your photos. We are going beginning of next June and I can't stand waiting for another minute. Every time I look at someone's pics, it makes it harder ;) . Anyway, your photos are truly gorgeous - hope mine come out 1/2 as good!

Hi Claudia. Could you do me a favor??? Could you go to our thread Carnival roll-call for northbound 8/9/06 and respond to a question. One of the posters on our board is an 18 year old going on her first cruise and was asking about the sea kayaking. I have not done that, but see you have. I'm sure she would love any advice you could give her.

Thanks.

Linda

I loved your pictures. We are sailing on the Coral Princess next May with a 5 day land tour on our own. I loved your picture titled "layers". I am using it for my computer background! Where was that picture taken?

We are going to do the drive to Emerald Lake and can't wait to experience Alaska!

Thanks again for posting your great pictures.

Larry

Larry: Thanks for checking out the photos. I appreciate the compliments.

One thing that I would recommend, play with different lighting conditions using your camera.

If you check out some of the glacier photos, they appear pretty blue. The ice does reflect the sky but I don't think they should be as blue as some of the photos.

I was checking on the internet on how to correct that and it was suggested to take a card with you with a midtone gray and use that to set your exposure. Keep it in your camera bag. If you don't have a camera that you can do that with, I am not sure how to handle that. Any suggestions?

The layers photo was taken in the Inside Passage.

Another suggestion, save your money because there are many awesome tours to take.

Claudia

Archived