Just wondering?

rhcruzer

We are taking our daughters boyfriend with us on our cruise next week (age 17). I heard that he will need a noterized note from his parents allowing us to take him. Is this true? Any help would be appreciated.

It's recommended. You probably won't be asked for it but you should have it just in case. Don't forget to make sure he has a photo ID and certified copy of his birth certificate or a passport if he has one.

Yes you will. You need a medical release and it is best if he has a passport and for sure a note stating you have permission to take him out of the country. We were stopped at one port and questioned about my neices friend who was traveling with us. They asked her if she were being forced to go with us, etc.

Oh wow, better get him right on that (we're leaving 6/15) no time for a passport, but he does have his certified birth certificate & drivers license. Will tell him to get the note TODAY. I didn't know about the medical release. Guess he better get to his doctor today also.

Oh wow, better get him right on that (we're leaving 6/15) no time for a passport, but he does have his certified birth certificate & drivers license. Will tell him to get the note TODAY. I didn't know about the medical release. Guess he better get to his doctor today also.

Just wondering if it is advisable to have the letter from his parents giving you permission to take him out of the country and authorizing you to make medical decisions should be notorized? Seems to me a letter signed by his parents containing a raised notory seal is more official than just a signed letter.

Just a thought. In today's strange world that is growing stranger, an ounce of prevention is worth ......:)

Dianne

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I guess he & his parents have work to do today. Every bit of authorization helps. I'd rather have all of this done & them not check, than not do it & ask for all of this.

Dr. visit not necessary, a medical release, maning a note signed by his parents giving you authorization to get him medical assistance if he needs it. In other words, if he gets hurt, typically doctors ned parental approval to work on him, you would be standing in, so the note give you the power to make those decisions his parents normally would.

Great, thanks for all the wonderful information. This board is fantastic. I appreciate all the help. Going to get that note now.

Also might not be a bad idea to take the kids medical insurance card along too.

Make sure the note states the dates you will be responisble for him and include 2 days later just in case some weird delay happens. All it has to state is that you and your spouse, can make any and all medical decisions and you are his guardian during that time period. Get it notarized and you are all set!!!

Archived