Priceline for London Hotel?

I am in the planning stage for our cruise in July/07. I might try Priceline when the time comes but don't know which area to choose.

I have read people mention -

- Bloomsbury-Marylebone-Soho,

-Westminster,

- Kensington-Knightsbridge-Chelsea

Which one of these would be the area to bid on or is there any other area to look at. We want to see the different tourist sights.

We were in London in 1970's and stay near Russell Square but can't remember much about the area.

I have read people mention -

- Bloomsbury-Marylebone-Soho,

- Westminster,

- Kensington-Knightsbridge-Chelsea

Having a quick look at the Priceline map, I don't see anything corresponding to "Bloomsbury-Marylebone-Soho". There's "Bloomsbury/Marble Arch", and there's "Mayfair/Soho". The latter would be the most convenient for tourist sights, but Westminster is not bad either. I would have said that the next most convenient area would be what they call "London Bridge". "Bloomsbury/Marble Arch" would be OK but some bits of the zone would be getting a little out of the way.

However, you'll also want to see what effect this will have on the prices that you're likely to have to pay.

:) You can get very nice hotels in London with Priceline bidding. I just won a bid for 4* Westminster Jolly St Ermins for $82 Plus $17 tax and fee. But first go to BetterBidding.com and BiddingForTravel.com to see what hotels bidders have been getting and understand the process. I have never been disappointed or treated badly in my numerous bookings.

This site offers discounts for dining: BettaLondon.com.

wibar46

I have used Priceline in North America but not sure for London. When did you start bidding, what did your bid start at, and what area did you try. I am interested in late July/07.

Before you bid, you may want to be sure what area(s) will be most convenient to the transportation you will take for the most critical (time-wise) part of your visit. If you are going pre-cruise, then the trip to the ship is the most important of all. If it's post-cruise, then the trip to the airport for going home will cause the most stress!

So, find out where you are embarking and how to get there, and then what airport, etc. to get home. London is so large and has so many different train stations, you'll want to research the best way to travel to the port (presuming you are not using the ship's transfer services).

Have fun planning, and a great cruise.

We are flying into Gatewick. I was thinking of renting a car to drive to Southampton. Staying there a few days to explore the area. Taking the National Express back to London and staying a few days. Taking the Gatewick Express from Victoria Station.

I have looked at some hotels around Victoria station that seem interesting. Any hotel suggestions in any areas.

To buy pounds with the Canadian dollar at $2.09 for a pound and to buy US dollar at $1.14 at today's rate, I am wondering if it is better to use Priceline which is in US dollars compared to paying the hotel rate in pounds.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't used Priceline for London, yet, but I'm planning to because I have a land vacation for London planned for the holidays. I've done a lot of research on BiddingforTravel in preparation for the bidding. Mayfair/Soho will be very convenient for sightseeing, but you'll pay more for this area. Other options for less money will be Marble Arch/Bloomsbury and Westminster. Westminster is close to Victoria, but there's probably not as many restaurants and shops in this area, since it is largely a government area. My sister lives in Westminster and there are more shops coming into the area. If you're near Marble Arch you will be near Oxford Street for shopping. But who can afford anything in London?

Priceline does seem to be very good for London because the prices for hotels are really through the roof. People have been getting 4* hotels in Marble Arch/Bloomsbury for as little as US$55 plus tax (VAT is 17.5%). The same room in Mayfair/Soho will probably cost at least 50% more, but still a bargain.

Also, wherever you stay, the tube will get you around town very easily.

Hope this helps. If I'm still cruising these boards later in the fall, I'll let you know how I did with my hotel search.

Archived