Movies to watch pre-cruise

We'll be heading off the Meditteranean in 2 weeks! I was thinking about renting Casanova & Dirty rotten scoundrels to see some of the places we are visiting ahead of time.....can you add any to the list?

Sorrento, Herculaneum, Naples Italy

Venice Italy

Dubrovnik Croatia

Messina, Taormina Scicily

Tossa de Mar Spain

St Paul de Vence, Eze, St Jean Cap Ferrat France (haven't decided where yet)

Cinque Terra Italy

Thanks!

Hi Sunshine,

If you belong to an movie by mail service like Netflicks or Blockbuster, you may want to look at their documentary and travel sections. I've been renting some interesting documentaries in preparation for my upcoming cruise. Have a great cruise!

It Started in Naples from 1960 with Clark Gable and Sophia Loren. A little bit of Naples and a lot of Capri.

Alfred Hitchcock's To Catch a Thief from 1955 with Grace Kelly and Cary Grant, set in the towns along the French Riviera.

Hee hee hee...."Euro Trip!" Makes me laugh to think about it! "Dirty Rotten Scoundrals is still our all time favorite! "Three Coins in a Fountain" "Chocolate" "Under the Tuscan Sun"

Can anyone remember the name of the British movie which also played in America about the British lady who goes on vacation to Greece by herself (a very un-appreciated "Mom/Wife") and has one heck of a time!!!!?

4 Cruisers: "Shirley Valentine" is the name of the movie you're thinking about. I think it was either filmed in Mykonos or Santorini - I forget which one! It was one of my favorite movies. Definitely gave me the bug to go on our Med cruise - which we'll be doing on August 25.

June

Can anyone remember the name of the British movie which also played in America about the British lady who goes on vacation to Greece by herself (a very un-appreciated "Mom/Wife") and has one heck of a time!!!!?

Shirley Valentine

(Red, as she was a bit of a scarlet woman!)

This is my quest too. Life is Beautiful, Cinema Paradiso, and Garden of the Finzi Contini are all great movies about Italy. All are in Italian but come with subtitles. Roman Holiday is another goodie. I remember seeing a movie called If It's Tuesday it Must be Belgium about Americans on a European tour, I'm not reccomending as I cannot remember it but I think I would remember if I thought it was terrible. Other people have said they are going to rent Gladiator before touring the Collesium.

Dangerous Beauty-Plot Outline A Venetian courtesan becomes a hero to her city, but later becomes the target of an inquisition by the Church for witchcraft. (This one is a little spicy so put the kids to bed first!)

Enchanted April-This slow-paced gem is about the civilizing influence of Italy on beleaguered Londoners both male and female and has it's own civilizing influence on the viewer. It's almost like taking a little mini-trip to Italy, a gorgeously filmed enchantment. (from Amazon)

A Room with a View

Tea with Mussolini is a stich (Cher, Judi Dench) and begins in Florence. I also love Under the Tuscan Sun -- the views of Positano and, obviously, Tuscany were almost as breathtaking as being there.

And I think I've watched Only You about three times in the past two months. My favorite part is when they arrive in Venice -- they take a vaparetto to the Hotel Danieli and show scenes of the Grand Canal while "O sole mio" plays on the background. Of course, Rome and Positano are awesome! Hopeless romantic...:rolleyes:

4 Cruisers: "Shirley Valentine" is the name of the movie you're thinking about. I think it was either filmed in Mykonos or Santorini - I forget which one! It was one of my favorite movies. Definitely gave me the bug to go on our Med cruise - which we'll be doing on August 25.

June

Great movie - it was filmed in Mykonos. To see Santorini, rent Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants or Summer Lovers (Daryl Hannah, Peter Gallagher).

It started in Naples (Clark Gable / Sophie Loren)

A room with a view (Florence)

Enchanted April (Cinque Terre)

to catch a thief (french riviera)

Venice

Only You (Marisa Tomei)

Casanova (Heath Ledger / Sienna Miller)

The Italian Job

Chasing Liberty

Death in Venice

English Patient

The talented Mr. Ripley

Dangerous Beauty

Death in Venice

Summer Time (Katherine Hepburn)

Greece

Zorba the greek

Mediteraneo

Tomb Raider (Santorini)

Frances

The absolute best movie to view Santorini is

SUMMER LOVERS, with Daryl Hannah & Peter Gallagher

This is not a great story, but the scenery of the island is shown throughout, expecially OIA. It's about a love triangle and has a lot of naked people swimming at the beaches in Greece.

54m.jpg

If you don't enjoy the story you can fast forward to the beautiful scenery -or the naked people - whatever!

Another Santorini film is the Sisterhood of the travelling pants.

Yeah...

I'll throw in a third vote for "Summer Lovers"...it's an incredibly cheesy movie...but it has INCREDIBLE shots of Santorini throughout...

(by the way, the third star of the movie--Valerie Quennessen...died a few years after this at the age of 31 in an auto accident)...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0084737/

Another Venice movie to get...

"A Little Romance"

Laurence Olivier and the VERY young Diane Lane in her first film...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0079477/

If you're headed at all to Barcelona, try:

The Passenger...

By Michelangelo Antonioni and starring Jack Nicholson...a little dark and eerie, but great shots of Barcelona...

http://imdb.com/title/tt0073580/

I'll throw in a 4th vote for Summer Lovers - when we saw it in the theater years ago - all we could think of was visiting Santorini - Yes we made it in 1998 and it was as great as the movie looked. Scenery there was fantastic. Took lots of pictures and have great memories.

Francine

Don't forget "The Godfather" if you are planning to visit Sicily/Taormina area.

"Fleeing to Sicily, Michael goes to ground in the village of ëCorleoneí. The real Corleone, south of Palermo, has been modernised. The village seen in the film is a combination of Forza díAgro and Savoca, two villages a few miles northwest of Taormina. In Forza, a small medieval community dominated by the ruins of a 16th century castle, youíll find the church seen when Michael first walks into ëCorleoneí.

A few miles north, in Savoca, you can see the small, wood-panelled Bar Vitelli, at which Michael meets innkeeperís daughter Apollonia, as well as Chiesa di Santa Lucia, the church at which he marries her. The villa at which Michael is staying when his car is blown up, is the 18th century Castello degli Schiavi (Castle of Slaves), near Fiumefreddo, about six miles south of Taormina. (seen again in Godfather III)."

Above is description I found on a website on filming locations of Godfather.

Here's a good website I found w/ movies filmed in Italy.

http://www.movie-locations.com/places/eur/italy.html

Have fun.

Only you did the same thing for me, Venice and Rome when I saw Positano WOW! it was my my dream place since i saw the picture and to be actually there! But half an hour there it not much I have to go back stay and watch a sunset.What a romantic place.AHHH!

Thanks for the Shirley Valentine name, everyone!!!

Here's another one I need help with...Debra Kerr and Carry Grant.

They are on a Mediterranean/transatlantic cruise. She is engaged to someone in New York, but she falls in love with Carry...They are supposed to meet at the top of the Empire State Building one year later....etc. Anyone remember the name?

"Jackie O" with Jacqueline Bisset for Greek Isles

James Bond!!!

Here's another one I need help with...Debra Kerr and Carry Grant. They are on a Mediterranean/transatlantic cruise. She is engaged to someone in New York, but she falls in love with Carry...They are supposed to meet at the top of the Empire State Building one year later....etc. Anyone remember the name?

That's a classic - An Affair to Remember.

Archived